Silicon Valley on HBO | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Silicon Valley on HBO

Reaction Score
This show is really tight. They literally don't waste 30 seconds. Very funny with likeable characters that you actually want to root for.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Thanks for the heads up. Very good show.

Reaction Score
great season so far. Erlich may be one of my favorite characters on TV right now.

Reaction Score
This show is awesome. It's like all the best parts of The Office, Entourage, and Big Bang Theory, but better than all three put together by a mile. Last episode if just great writing. What's his name is despondent over not really being a billionaire anymore. LOL.

I still like Veep better but this is super funny.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Lost in the Game of Thrones hype from last night was another great episode of Silicon Valley. I wonder if Cuban is starting to get pissed off at the Hanneman character, because last night's episode basically curb stomped Cuban through Hanneman.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
Silicon Valley is absolutely killing it this season. I can never get enough Gilfoyle and Dinesh.

Reaction Score
Silicon Valley is absolutely killing it this season. I can never get enough Gilfoyle and Dinesh.

It's not just them, it's every character. They consistently deliver week to week.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It's not just them, it's every character. They consistently deliver week to week.

The lawyers jumping in during the "private" conversation between Gavin Belson and Richard, and Belson's reaction, was a little thing, but so funny.

I hope that Gavin doesn't buy Pied Piper, although that appears to be where the show is going. The tension between the businesses is hilarious.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Season Finale was AWESOME. I had to watch the scenes back at the house twice because I was laughing so hard through them the first time. They were supposed to nuke the software, and instead they are arguing over which orange to use as garnish on their beer.

The ending was a completely realistic outcome after the debacle of this season. It has occurred to me that the VC's may ask Gavin Belsom to be CEO of Pied Piper, since he will need a job. Next season should be very good.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There's nothing about the show that's realistic.

Richard makes Daenerys Targaryen look like Steve Jobs.

The constant stepping on rakes is going to get tiring.

Reaction Score
Just curious. How much time do you spend in the valley?

As a parody, its right on the money. Perhaps a smudge less LA in the mix, but they get alot right.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Disagree completely. I have actually been in situations like the call between Richard and Gavin when the lawyers representing the two contentious sides start sharing pleasantries. While servers do not actually catch fire often, startup companies with no infrastructure usually have glitchy technology. Setting the server on fire was a metaphor for all the tech problems that little companies have. The dynamic between Dinesh, Gilfoyle and the girl coder was not far off how these tech teams typically interact. Of course those three are funnier than real life coders, but the premise is accurate.

I would have said that Hammeman was completely unrealistic, except for the fact that Mark Cuban is apparently just like him. And real life founder CEO's are often much, much, much worse than Richard. It was also about time for Richard to be fired.

The least realistic part of the show is the VC firm. The lady boss is over the top, and I pray that Monica and Richard never sleep together, because that would be ridiculous. My initial reaction to Monica was that she was way too hot to be a VC, but upon reflection, I think that women in VC are disproportionately attractive relative to women in other fields. That said, Monica is the complete package, looks, big job, brains, and she would NEVER hook up with someone like Richard, especially if her firm was invested in his company. The Monicas of the world are with two kinds of men: 1) uber achiever that they met at business school or Ivy League undergrad, or 2) hunk man-candy that is still smart and socially adept enough to not embarrass her at the firm Christmas party. Richard is neither of those things. I hope the show doesn't jump the shark there.

Reaction Score

It's an entertaining parody. I thought the finale was kind of perfect. The mix of characters and the strength of the actors is phenomenal.

I'm not going to argue the realism aspect, but I would think that if it were realistic it might not be as entertaining.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm not going to argue the realism aspect, but I would think that if it were realistic it might not be as entertaining.

Of course not - it was in response to someone who said it was.

The only character I'm not crazy about is Richard - there's a Hugh Grantian number of facial ticks and mumbling happening there. And the woman who plays Laurie is a great actress who is annoying the hell out of me with that character. (I don't remember the woman's name, but she's from Connecticut - got dragged to the Hartford Stage a while back and she was in whatever we saw.)

Reaction Score

The only character I'm not crazy about is Richard - there's a Hugh Grantian number of facial ticks and mumbling happening there. And the woman who plays Laurie is a great actress who is annoying the hell out of me with that character. (I don't remember the woman's name, but she's from Connecticut - got dragged to the Hartford Stage a while back and she was in whatever we saw.)

I couldn't remember where I recognized that actress from and then it hit me. She's the "yada yada yada" woman from Seinfeld.

Reaction Score

Yeah, nailed it on both. he's supposed to be pseudo-Aspergers afflicted. It's weird when you hear the actor talk in interviews because he is nothing like that.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

The actor playing Richard resembles Michael Sera (Evan in SuperBad and Bleeker in Juno) to me.

Gilfoyle and Ginish are great at the moment, but I can see their schtick getting old if it goes on much into season 3 (assume there will be at least another full season).

Husky25

Reaction Score
I'm lost. Wasn't this show canceled?
Season 2 just ended on Sunday and Season 3 was in fact green lighted (lit?) for 2016.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The actor playing Richard resembles Michael Sera (Evan in SuperBad and Bleeker in Juno) to me.

Gilfoyle and Ginish are great at the moment, but I can see their schtick getting old if it goes on much into season 3 (assume there will be at least another full season).

I know they fired the coders, but I hope they bring Carla back, because she does modulate the fighting between Dinesh and Gilfoyle.

The funniest scene of the season may have been Dinesh and Gilfoyle doing a SWOT analysis of whether to let the stunt biker die.

Husky25

Reaction Score
The subtle trolling job of Carla intimating that she made more money than them was genius.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
nelsonmuntz said:
Disagree completely. I have actually been in situations like the call between Richard and Gavin when the lawyers representing the two contentious sides start sharing pleasantries. While servers do not actually catch fire often, startup companies with no infrastructure usually have glitchy technology. Setting the server on fire was a metaphor for all the tech problems that little companies have. The dynamic between Dinesh, Gilfoyle and the girl coder was not far off how these tech teams typically interact. Of course those three are funnier than real life coders, but the premise is accurate. I would have said that Hammeman was completely unrealistic, except for the fact that Mark Cuban is apparently just like him. And real life founder CEO's are often much, much, much worse than Richard. It was also about time for Richard to be fired. The least realistic part of the show is the VC firm. The lady boss is over the top, and I pray that Monica and Richard never sleep together, because that would be ridiculous. My initial reaction to Monica was that she was way too hot to be a VC, but upon reflection, I think that women in VC are disproportionately attractive relative to women in other fields. That said, Monica is the complete package, looks, big job, brains, and she would NEVER hook up with someone like Richard, especially if her firm was invested in his company. The Monicas of the world are with two kinds of men: 1) uber achiever that they met at business school or Ivy League undergrad, or 2) hunk man-candy that is still smart and socially adept enough to not embarrass her at the firm Christmas party. Richard is neither of those things. I hope the show doesn't jump the shark there.

The boss lady at Riviga bothers me. Wish they hadn't made her such a copy of the initial head guy there.

Reaction Score
The subtle trolling job of Carla intimating that she made more money than them was genius.

How about the HR conversation where she wanted to bring her friend Cunty by for lunch.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom