Silicon Valley on HBO | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Silicon Valley on HBO

Reaction Score
Like the finale brought everything full circle and the original crew is back together. Next season should be even better

Reaction Score
How many posts are there in this thread mocking me for saying the show tries to be realistic?

I spent 2.5 years in a tech startup. Some of the (&^$ I saw there I couldn't believe. Which is why people that don't work in tech startups think this show can't be real.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The opening scene was spot on, from the contrived meeting with the VC, to the ridiculous pitch, to the VC running away in terror, but wanting a chance to look at the deal again if Pied Piper hits its milestones, is a perfect illustration of the entire valley culture and tech industry. They nailed the whole ecosystem in a 2 minute scene.

Richard starting a new company is the first potential misstep in the show. I will keep an open mind, but Richard is by far the least interesting character, so pulling him away from the rest of the crew could result in problems for the show.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Richard starting a new company is the first potential misstep in the show. I will keep an open mind, but Richard is by far the least interesting character, so pulling him away from the rest of the crew could result in problems for the show.

The other guys aren't exactly leaders though. Except Erlich, but's he's the clueless bumbling sort.

I mean, I'm not sure it's a misstep, as the show only works if theirs a dumpster fire somewhere in there.

I personally enjoyed the flight plan fencing scene in the airplane.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The other guys aren't exactly leaders though. Except Erlich, but's he's the clueless bumbling sort.

I mean, I'm not sure it's a misstep, as the show only works if theirs a dumpster fire somewhere in there.

I personally enjoyed the flight plan fencing scene in the airplane.

I mean a writing misstep from the show's perspective. I don't think the Richard character is interesting enough to carry a plot arc by himself. Most of that character's screen-time is alsmot Seinfeldian, basically a narrator of the crazy people around him.

Erlich is the clear alpha nerd. There are a lot of Erlich's lurking around real world tech centers (Silicon Valley, Silicon Alley, 128, Research Triangle), and they do serve a purpose. They run the gamut from harmless blowhards like Erlich in the show, to outright conmen attracted to the VC money and the potential for quick riches. Sometimes a situation just calls for an alpha nerd to get a company through a problem, which is how they get involved.

I think making Dinesh CEO is an awesome decision. That will be a lot of fun.

Reaction Score
I mean a writing misstep from the show's perspective. I don't think the Richard character is interesting enough to carry a plot arc by himself. Most of that character's screen-time is alsmot Seinfeldian, basically a narrator of the crazy people around him.

Totally agree. Richard is the least enjoyable aspect of the show for me.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Totally agree. Richard is the least enjoyable aspect of the show for me.

He's the most sniveling uncomfortable-to-watch-in-a-bad-way dude on television right now. Contrast that to Jared who's also incredibly uncomfortable to watch...but hilarious.

Reaction Score
More Russ Hanneman please. The character is not only hilarious but through all the absurdity he actually once in awhile says something rather insightful. Loved his explanation of about a pure play vs. revenue generation a few seasons back.

Reaction Score
More Russ Hanneman please. The character is not only hilarious but through all the absurdity he actually once in awhile says something rather insightful. Loved his explanation of about a pure play vs. revenue generation a few seasons back.

That was brilliant - because that is actually the truth the way things are valued. Pre-revenue companies can rely on vanity metrics, while other companies need to focus on revenue growth, which is much harder.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Renewed for another season, but without T.J. Miller, which kinda sucks.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Renewed for another season, but without T.J. Miller, which kinda sucks.

Really sucks. Its a great show, TJ is a cornerstone of it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
While Bachman will be missed, from a show development standpoint it makes sense for the cast to change a little year over year. A real startup would have a ton of turnover, and it actually makes it interesting to bring in some new blood to the show. It looked like Matt Ross (Gavin Belson) was written off too, but he is coming back next year.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's a goofy sitcom, not a documentary.

It's a good idea to keep the funny people in the funny shows.

Toss the Gilfoyel character. I think they've already plumbed the depths of how someone can hate an Indian guy while speaking in monotones.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

The only criticism I have is that Amanda Crew is way too hot to be credible. They could have found a more nerdy striver to play the role of Gallagher's assistant. They needed someone more like a Jane Levy or an older version of Ariel Winter. I get that neither would leave hit shows, but they needed someone like that rather than a 5'10 model.

Very sad about Christopher Evan Welch, especially since it happened when he finally had a breakout role. A role like this can set a character actor like Welch up for the next 10 years with steady work. Zach Woods leveraged Gabe from the Office into lifetime employment playing the same character for the rest of his career.

That's why Jenna Fischer was so good on the Office. They dialed her down a bit and she was still plenty attractive for that kind of setting.

I may have to try this show. Lived and worked in that world, in Silicon Valley, during the boom times of the mid-late 90s.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Late to the party but just finished up season 4... great stuff all around. No Erlich will suck but there's still a lot of great characters.

Reaction Score
Late to the party but just finished up season 4... great stuff all around. No Erlich will suck but there's still a lot of great characters.

Love the show but that's a pretty big void to fill. I still laugh out loud when I think of the whole mansplaining scene from this season.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Love the show but that's a pretty big void to fill. I still laugh out loud when I think of the whole mansplaining scene from this season.
The thought of him being in an opium den for the next five years is kind of funny though. :)

Reaction Score
I enjoy the show quite a bit, but those ubiquitous Verizon commercials starring Richard (don't know actor's name) are really starting to eat into the goodwill I've built up towards his character. Only half joking.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I enjoy the show quite a bit, but those ubiquitous Verizon commercials starring Richard (don't know actor's name) are really starting to eat into the goodwill I've built up towards his character. Only half joking.

I've never had any good will towards his character. He's a sniveling little twit. A good foil for other characters though.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I've never had any good will towards his character. He's a sniveling little twit. A good foil for other characters though.

He is the least interesting part of the show, but the show does need him.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Awesome opening to the season. Dinesh and Gilfoyle are just hilarious. There are approaching the level of awesomeness previously achieved only by Jonah and Richard from Veep where every scene they are in makes me laugh so hard that I miss part of the show.

Laurie is a throw away character that is hilarious.

It is down to this show and VEEP as the best comedy on TV now, in part because I don't know what to call Shameless.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
The season premiere had some great moments in it. Loved the entire black site room scene, especially Dinesh mentioning he could hear Richard gulping, followed by him saying he couldn't and then the amazing gulp sound. Another fantastic moment was when Richard tried to congratulate Laurie (on giving birth earlier that day) and her not realizing what he is congratulating her on.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom