Sidney Wilson's first visit: St. John's | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Sidney Wilson's first visit: St. John's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've stated that along. It was never a Good Guy/SJU two horse race.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Conversely, from the St. John's board:

Hearing it is still two horse race & Texas visit Zagoria references may not happen. Perhaps a decision will come sooner than later.

This and the Waters thing (idk what else to call it) are why I really really dislike following recruiting.

I'm some kind of masochist, lol.

Reaction Score
This and the Waters thing (idk what else to call it) are why I really really dislike following recruiting.

I'm some kind of masochist, lol.

It has just gotten weirder and weirder. My Dad, who is an amateur hoarder, is finally starting to clean up his madness. In the process he found a three-ring binder filled with recruiting info from 90-94. Cool stuff like Donyell, Rudy, KO, etc clippings through Ray, Sheffer, and ending with Rash and the immortal, Sam Funches. It was crazy going through seeing all of our "misses" and then realizing just how great our staff was. Also interesting reading about guys who you forgot all about. Does anyone remember that we scored a commitment from a JUCO PG named David Murray? Who then backed out and we took Cup Cormier instead? Of that KO was struggling to get his score so we were about to take another PG named Ron Johnson? Weird. The complete misinformation was pretty nice, too. Kirk(land) King was a prototypical 3 man according to his coach. Hmm...

Anyways, the point is that recruiting was so much simpler and more enjoyable when it was sort of an ignorance is bliss existence. My dad, brother, and I would search the local papers (the Sunday Norwich Bulletin was key) and you'd hear that we were recruiting these 15 names, you'd look them up in some magazine, you'd hope to read they were visiting, and then you'd hope to read soon thereafter that they committed. That was it. They signed a letter of intent and you moved on. Now, it is just such a $how of AAU, YouTube mixes, experts, bla bla bla... I know I'm making myself seem old, and I feel like I'm having a get off my grass moment, but it was just cool to be pleasantly surprised and excited that you got anyone to commit.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
It has just gotten weirder and weirder. My Dad, who is an amateur hoarder, is finally starting to clean up his madness. In the process he found a three-ring binder filled with recruiting info from 90-94. Cool stuff like Donyell, Rudy, KO, etc clippings through Ray, Sheffer, and ending with Rash and the immortal, Sam Funches. It was crazy going through seeing all of our "misses" and then realizing just how great our staff was. Also interesting reading about guys who you forgot all about. Does anyone remember that we scored a commitment from a JUCO PG named David Murray? Who then backed out and we took Cup Cormier instead? Of that KO was struggling to get his score so we were about to take another PG named Ron Johnson? Weird. The complete misinformation was pretty nice, too. Kirk(land) King was a prototypical 3 man according to his coach. Hmm...

Anyways, the point is that recruiting was so much simpler and more enjoyable when it was sort of an ignorance is bliss existence. My dad, brother, and I would search the local papers (the Sunday Norwich Bulletin was key) and you'd hear that we were recruiting these 15 names, you'd look them up in some magazine, you'd hope to read they were visiting, and then you'd hope to read soon thereafter that they committed. That was it. They signed a letter of intent and you moved on. Now, it is just such a -ing$how of AAU, YouTube mixes, experts, bla bla bla... I know I'm making myself seem old, and I feel like I'm having a get off my grass moment, but it was just cool to be pleasantly surprised and excited that you got anyone to commit.

I was 5 in 1990....but I felt that way through most of the 2000s even.

Reaction Score
I was 5 in 1990....but I felt that way through most of the 2000s even.

Was just reading a bit more and Ray was theoretically our third or fourth choice at 2G that year. Ed Gray and Stais Bozeman were our first visits for that spot. Both were good college players, but... Lots of other names too that I forgot all about.

Reaction Score
Was just reading a bit more and Ray was theoretically our third or fourth choice at 2G that year. Ed Gray and Stais Bozeman were our first visits for that spot. Both were good college players, but... Lots of other names too that I forgot all about.

Wow I remember those days. A lot less hectic partially because we didn't have 4 NC's and the expectations weren't the same. I remember being at the Field House and seeing Tony Scott come on to the court after a game while he was visiting and slamming home some stuff and then reading the next day he was ours. A couple of weeks later he was Cuses, then a couple years later I believe Texas A & M so *hit has happened for a while now. Also remember when we were recruiting head to head with Ohio State for Perry Carter and he was not certain either way, would have been our first huge win I was even calling the Courant and talking to the sports reporters to try to get the inside info - yeah a little whacked huh? Also Randall Jackson from Mass who we lost last second to Florida State and the 2 guys who wanted to be Huskies but JC went different directions with Bobby Sura (FSU) and Austin Croshere (PCU)....it's been an ongoing battle trying to step back and not read too much into anything :confused:

Reaction Score
Wow I remember those days. A lot less hectic partially because we didn't have 4 NC's and the expectations weren't the same. I remember being at the Field House and seeing Tony Scott come on to the court after a game while he was visiting and slamming home some stuff and then reading the next day he was ours. A couple of weeks later he was Cuses, then a couple years later I believe Texas A & M so *hit has happened for a while now. Also remember when we were recruiting head to head with Ohio State for Perry Carter and he was not certain either way, would have been our first huge win I was even calling the Courant and talking to the sports reporters to try to get the inside info - yeah a little whacked huh? Also Randall Jackson from Mass who we lost last second to Florida State and the 2 guys who wanted to be Huskies but JC went different directions with Bobby Sura (FSU) and Austin Croshere (PCU)....it's been an ongoing battle trying to step back and not read too much into anything :confused:

Yep, I remember a guy named Phil Dixon who was another big recruit who was supposed to be ours and then something weird happened.

I was just reading the article on Croshere actually. Apparently, he gave us a verbal; we did not accept it b/c he had not visited yet and that was our "policy" and we were waiting on Kirk. I guess we then pulled the schollie and we got Kirk. A couple years later, we took Sam Funches' verbal without him having ever visited so apparently we changed our protocol.

Reaction Score
Yep, I remember a guy named Phil Dixon who was another big recruit who was supposed to be ours and then something weird happened.

I was just reading the article on Croshere actually. Apparently, he gave us a verbal; we did not accept it b/c he had not visited yet and that was our "policy" and we were waiting on Kirk. I guess we then pulled the schollie and we got Kirk. A couple years later, we took Sam Funches' verbal without him having ever visited so apparently we changed our protocol.

Phil Dixon the Canadian kid who was going to change everything, I do remember. It had to do with a girl, a stalking sort of thing and he was so mad at her he punched a window out or something at the Field Hoise. ended up at Utah decent player.

Reaction Score
It'll be interesting to see whether he makes it to Texas

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
BREAKING INSTAGRAM LIVE NEWS:
Sid just started a instagram live. Him and killings were having a little convo joking around with each othet. STAND BY
You should comment more often

Reaction Score
Somebody asked about Coach Chill and Sid said "Coach Chillious is my guy, even if I dont go to UConn thats my guy". Chill effect

Reaction Score
He also said "coach chillous is my guy!!!", when someone asked him about chillious

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom