Sid | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Sid

Reaction Score
Anyone else like Sid as a sneaky good player next year? His shot significantly improved last year. He’s kind of on a similar trajectory as Whaley was. Coach challenges him in the media, that tells me that he sees something in him.
Not really. He’s had 3 years. Surprised Hurley bringing him back after his performance /behavior the final month of year when we needed him most. Unless he improves his : ball handling, work ethic, footwork , jump shot, decision making and mental toughness. Right now he’s good for a couple “splash plays” every few games. Too bad - u see he really has the talent there but..... it’s been 3 years- surprised we re stil tying up a scholarship tbh. Hope he finds a good landing place and makes the best of his ability but....

C

Chief00

Yep, he was... I remember the 2009 Bulls Celtics Playoff series, it was an epic 7 game series. BG was lights out in that series, at times looked like the best dude on the court. I think it was one of the first games in the series he dropped like 40 something. He was on fire. Still to this day one of my favorite playoff series, dude was so underrated. Damn I miss BG.
Watched that game at Regina’s Pizzeria in Boston’s North End.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think people forget how good Ben Gordon was. In BGs first 5 years in the NBA, he averaged 18.5 PPG and 41.5% from 3. He was the number 3 overall pick and an NCAA champion. I love Bouk, it’s great to finally have a guy on the team that looks like an NBA talent, but man, if he can surpass BG, that’d be something. Not saying he can’t, but it’s asking a lot.

We're looking at opposite ends of the prism. I won't be disappointed if he doesn't end up as good as Rip or Ray, but I won't be surprised if he does reach that level. And yes, I do believe it's well within Bouk's ability to be a near 20 ppg scorer in the NBA.

Reaction Score
What this thread has shown is that for some of us there is a serious disconnect between talent and ability. Talent is what you can be; ability is what you are now. The distance between talent and ability is the potential. Both Sid and Bouk are tremendous talents with great potentials. However neither is playing up to their college level ability at this time. Perhaps Bouk will step it up to be named with Ray and Rip and perhaps he won't. Perhaps Sid will instantly become a fundamentally sound player who understands his role in both offense and defense and perhaps he won't. But right now neither has accomplished a thing. Perhaps they will and perhaps they won't. All else is speculation.
Sid and Bouknight are nothing alike. Bouknight is a million times more talented and has a million times more ability and potential. He is on the normal trajectory of our past star players.

Reaction Score
Sid's best ability for us next year has to be availability. He isn't a perfect replacement for Akok but he is actually serviceable in that stretch 4 role. Can block shots and hit the occasional 3. If he stays his butt out of the doghouse and in the weight room a bit he'll have a role

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Sid's best ability for us next year has to be availability. He isn't a perfect replacement for Akok but he is actually serviceable in that stretch 4 role. Can block shots and hit the occasional 3. If he stays his butt out of the doghouse and in the weight room a bit he'll have a role
It's more than the weight room. He needs to learn the offensive sets and defensive rotations so it's second nature. He can't be on the court and be the reason either end breaks down.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Bouk can be better, or worse. But mostly he's a totally different player. Defensively he's not in the ballpark of where Ben was in his final season at UConn. I think we too often focus on offense. Bouk is going to need to guard people like James Harden at the next level. Think he's ready for that? Me neither.

Bouk is taller, but Ben was much stronger. Bouk has tremendous instincts for the modern game. Ben was nearly unguardable in the prior isolation style offense. Bouk's skills run more towards a ball movement heavy offensive system. Ben was a stone cold assassin, who was a step ahead in knowing how to beat his man individually. To my eyes, Ben was better with the ball in his hands and Bouk is fantastic creating things away from the ball.

Think about the guys Ben played against, and succeeded.
"It was like a serial killer mentality. I was processing all your tendencies and your weaknesses, and I was thinking about slaughtering you. It was violent. It was over-the-top. But you have to understand, I was 6′ 1″. They were always trying to list me as 6′ 3″ my whole career, but dog, let me let you in on a secret: A was 6′ 1″. I’m out there with Kobe and Tony Allen guarding me. You know how tricky you gotta be to get a shot off against those dudes at 6′ 1″? You gotta be so laser focused. So methodical, so calculated, so obsessed. "

The original post was comparing Bouk's overall ceiling against Ben Gordon as a finished product, not what Bouk is right now. He has a ton of potential, but obviously he doesn't compare right now to Ben as a junior or NBA player.

Reaction Score
Bouk was better as a freshman than Rip, Ray or Ben.
You really think so? Bouknight has a big part of his season where he disappeared mostly. And then there is the level of competition those three has to play on a nightly basis. I really don’t think Bouknight had a better freshman season than any of those guys. Also look at the level of talent of each UConn team had compared to Bouknight’s team.

Reaction Score
Watched that game at Regina’s Pizzeria in Boston’s North End.
Yup. I was at that game me and my friend were sitting at the top of the TD with our backs to the cement. Benny vs ray ray. God I miss sports. NBA and baseball seem like they’re going to be in jeopardy hopefully they won’t take away football in the fall

Reaction Score
Bouk deferred to CV and AG for half the season. After Hurley changed AG's role and started Gaff, Bouk found his jumper and was a dominate player down the stretch.
Bouk can do things at the basket that are simply amazing. He can score on all three levels and create his own shots anywhere from the three point line to the rim.
I wouldn’t say all 3 levels right now. His 3 point shooting was poor for a good majority of the year. He air balled more threes this year than the guys u mentioned did their whole career

Reaction Score
We're looking at opposite ends of the prism. I won't be disappointed if he doesn't end up as good as Rip or Ray, but I won't be surprised if he does reach that level. And yes, I do believe it's well within Bouk's ability to be a near 20 ppg scorer in the NBA.
Holy cow.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
All of them. The last half of the season, Bouk was outstanding. Hey, before people start going into a mandatory freak out, it's a fun discussion to have so chill.

I think you have to consider the relative talent around them. Bouk stood out because he was better than everyone else on his team, and many of the teams we played. Those other guys played on loaded teams and against loaded teams and were still great.

Reaction Score
I think you have to consider the relative talent around them. Bouk stood out because he was better than everyone else on his team, and many of the teams we played. Those other guys played on loaded teams and against loaded teams and were still great.
All of that is true, but Bouk is a truly special player. His freshman highlight reel is amazing because he scores in so many different ways.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
All of that is true, but Bouk is a truly special player. His freshman highlight reel is amazing because he scores in so many different ways.

Yes, I agree. But I don't think these comparisons are helpful. I'm not sure why we do it. He's a unique and special talent. That's enough.

Reaction Score
All of that is true, but Bouk is a truly special player. His freshman highlight reel is on amazing because he scores in so many different ways.
Highlights from my HS days would make me look like a Division 1 lock. Passing, dribbling, defending and I never missed a shot.

Reaction Score
Highlights from my HS days would make me look like a Division 1 lock. Passing, dribbling, defending and I never missed a shot.
Bouk scored in every way possible. You won't find as diverse a mix tape from any other freshman in the country.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom