Sid Wilson next year | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Sid Wilson next year

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
You read my mind vision

How does a guy like Stanley with so much talent , not only go undrafted but really never hooks up with a decent paying overseas job.
There is a disconnect somewhere in the boards assessment.
I mean we loved him but as the old adage goes “ Love is Blind”

Sticks was drafted by the Magic in the 2nd round and got screwed. He got cut very late when other rosters had already filled out because the Magic decided to keep Daniel Orton who they drafted in the first round and was on a guaranteed contract. The Magic did not want Sticks to sign elsewhere, also part of the reason they cut him so late. He played well in the D League and got called to join the NBA roster with the Rockets but tore his achilles and that was the end. Tough luck all around.

Wilson has some similarities but really needs to work on his jump shot to keep teams honest. All he was able to do last year was slash, but if he cannot knock down a jumper good teams will be able to neutralize his slashing ability.

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
Judging by last year he is more athlete than basketball player. At times, he looked very lost. But you can see the potential.

Nothing is preventing him from making a big jump. A year in the system should have helped. And almost every area of his game can be improved. However, if his shooting improves, we can live with the rest of it.
I couldn't agree more. And would add that he must improve his offensive game (becoming a slasher and a shooter) or he will be a role player. There are many guys in college with his size and athleticism, but without providing some offensive firepower at his position, he can easily be replaced by a 6' 3" to 6'5" shooting guard (Bouknight?) who will put points up. Maybe on a team with a lot of offensive skills in the post and from the guards you could live with an athletic, low-scoring small forward, but not on a typical UConn team. I hope he puts the work in because his upside is huge.

Reaction Score
Sticks was drafted by the Magic in the 2nd round and got screwed. He got cut very late when other rosters had already filled out because the Magic decided to keep Daniel Orton who they drafted in the first round and was on a guaranteed contract. The Magic did not want Sticks to sign elsewhere, also part of the reason they cut him so late. He played well in the D League and got called to join the NBA roster with the Rockets but tore his achilles and that was the end. Tough luck all around.

Wilson has some similarities but really needs to work on his jump shot to keep teams honest. All he was able to do last year was slash, but if he cannot knock down a jumper good teams will be able to neutralize his slashing ability.
I remember watching that draft and at my age I should have looked I up.
He was the 59th pick out of 60.
He was one of the last kids to be taken with guys ahead of him who the board considered stiffs . I do remember waiting and waiting for his name and to be called with disbelief at the guys who got picked ahead of him.

Reaction Score
Wilson was suspended for a game because he wasn’t putting in the work and then later for stuff that went down the season before. You don’t reward lack of effort with minutes, and he literally couldn’t play him at first. Sid did himself no favors early on. New coach, chance to prove yourself, and he just didn’t.

I didn’t say otherwise.

Reaction Score
I didn’t say otherwise.
He was technically a first year player and he missed those less challenging games that are essential for first year players to acclimatize to the college game.
That hurt his growth but hopefully he learned from that experience.
I see his contributions defensively at first particularly in our pressure mode, but a three has to knock down shots to get minutes. I would not teach that low line drive shot but what I think is irrelevant , if it goes in the hoop.
AZ’s first law of shooting:
“The only ugly shot is one that doesn’t go in”

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
He was technically a first year player and he missed those less challenging games that are essential for first year players to acclimatize to the college game.
That hurt his growth but hopefully he learned from that experience.
I see his contributions defensively at first particularly in our pressure mode, but a three has to knock down shots to get minutes. I would not teach that low line drive shot but what I think is irrelevant , if it goes in the hoop.
AZ’s first law of shooting:
“The only ugly shot is one that doesn’t go in”
He just needs to become serviceable at making shots. Quentin Rose can’t shoot either but he’s one of the best wings in the conference. His attitude/work ethic is what’s killing him. He just doesn’t have that dare I say “no escalators” attitude. Carlton for example has done a 180 and is now one of the hardest workers on the team under Hurley. Wish Sid would follow his lead.

Reaction Score
Some of you guys fall in love with guys based on AAU rep or something. I think Sid is one. Remember when some folks couldn’t wait for Omar Calhoun? There was dancing in .the street when he committed. I suspect Sid is destined for a similar career. Love to be proven wrong.

Reaction Score
Some of you guys fall in love with guys based on AAU rep or something. I think Sid is one. Remember when some folks couldn’t wait for Omar Calhoun? There was dancing in .the street when he committed. I suspect Sid is destined for a similar career. Love to be proven wrong.
Think part of it was over rating the kid, but a big part was bad luck physically. Hip problems are no joke. If he built on his freshman stats would have been quite the player as a senior rather than mostly watching Bazz and the rest make their run.

Reaction Score
Wait, so you're saying people shouldn't be excited when a top-40 recruit commits? Plus, Calhoun validated his ranking by averaging 11 points his freshman year as the fourth option behind Bazz, Boat and DD and making the Big East all-rookie team. Calhoun's problem throughout his career was he couldn't stay healthy. Poor comparison.

Reaction Score
Omar lost his explosiveness and no longer had the speed or leaping ability he came in with. Sid has the physical tools, for him it is about playing the game better.

Reaction Score

Omar averaged 11/4/1.2 as a freshman. He had injury that held him back. EVERYONE should have been excited about the kid--he had the potential to be an all-conference player before surgery.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This is a good off season topic. You could make the case for a bunch of players I think.
#waltdropo (Actually posters have convinced me it's Burrell but Dropo is a close second.)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't know, Sid is crazy athletic. It's just a matter of putting in the time to work on his game, IMO.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
He didn't seem to have any "go to" moves last year. A guy that athletic and not either a monster size or super shooter would seem (to me anyway) to have developed a few moves he would go to and be good at. He seemed uncomfortable on anything other than dunks. Just develop a short/mid range shot and do a lot of cutting and that would cause a lot of havoc. Need to be able to finish close to basket without dunking if it isn't there (reverses, off backboard, etc.).
Reminds me (think someone mentioned this a while ago) of that athletic kid who transferred to USC a few years ago. Always thought he would be better than he ever ended up. Kind of like expecting Taliek to shoot better because he got to watch Ben Gordon every day and just had to copy what Ben did..

That'd be Marcus Johnson.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Wait, so you're saying people shouldn't be excited when a top-40 recruit commits? Plus, Calhoun validated his ranking by averaging 11 points his freshman year as the fourth option behind Bazz, Boat and DD and making the Big East all-rookie team. Calhoun's problem throughout his career was he couldn't stay healthy. Poor comparison.

It's almost like most (if not all) of the takes writing Sid off completely after one season are, you know, terrible.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's almost like most (if not all) of the takes writing Sid off completely after one season are, you know, terrible.

Utterly terrible. Last year I tried to be a voice of sanity when people anointed him savior of the program. Now those people say he may eventually be a decent guy off the bench. It’s ridiculous.

Shooting isn’t that hard. He will become an effective scorer and a terror on the boards and potentially on D. In another year he could be all but unstoppable. A guy with his explosiveness is a rare thing.

Reaction Score
Utterly terrible. Last year I tried to be a voice of sanity when people anointed him savior of the program. Now those people say he may eventually be a decent guy off the bench. It’s ridiculous.

Shooting isn’t that hard. He will become an effective scorer and a terror on the boards and potentially on D. In another year he could be all but unstoppable. A guy with his explosiveness is a rare thing.

If he's not that good at 20 years old, I'm not sure he'll ever be "unstoppable." Offense is something that comes to kids a lot earlier than 20 the vast majority of the time.

You CAN learn to be a great defender though, IMO. In part because no one teaches it well at all until college.

If Sid can shoot it reasonably well, play in control with the ball in his hands so he's not a liability, and play maniacal defense, we'll be just fine at the SF spot. Better than fine. He doesn't need to be an elite offensive player. He likely never will be.

Reaction Score
Unless you are a big, scorers a generally born not made. Wilson doesn’t appear to be anything more that a sub par scorer. I doubt he learns to be one. I see him as a career off the bench guy who can do lots of things but none well enough to be a major force.

Reaction Score

We talking about the same Sid Wilson that plays on UConn?

Reaction Score

I'm not writing him off, but it's fair to say he was pretty badly overrated as a Top 50 recruit and needs to significantly improve his basketball skills in order to live up to the billing. A lot like Larrier in that regard, actually.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I'm not writing him off, but it's fair to say he was pretty badly overrated as a Top 50 recruit and needs to significantly improve his basketball skills in order to live up to the billing. A lot like Larrier in that regard, actually.

You aren't writing him off now, because you already did last October - before he played a single minute in a UConn jersey: Sid Wilson suspended

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom