Sick of Ollie | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sick of Ollie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just the worst night for KO and his team, with the exception of RB who played his heart out. The team just gave up; the crowd and the refs got to them. But they had zero heart. That said, on to the rest of the season.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The boneyard administrators only want Kumbaya threads about how great everything is and will be. If you day anything the castro administration of boneyard will delete it.

I'm not sure who deleted what or where, but if you're unhappy here, you can leave.

In fact, you should.

That would teach us.

Reaction Score
The Boneyard at its best. Be careful with the negativity and criticism because you just might get a pair of glasses next to each post you make.

Huskymania You Gotta Love It !!!!

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I'm impressed. Seeing this thread title I was expecting a long diatribe calling for his firing. Glad to see we haven't sunk as low as I thought!

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
The Boneyard at its best. Be careful with the negativity and criticism because you just might get a pair of glasses next to each post you make.

Huskymania You Gotta Love It !!!!

Thank God you're back. And just in time, too.

Now that you're here again, we can expect UConn to run the table and win another National Championship.

Strapped on your running shoes, yet?

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Ollie has a lot on his mind these days besides basketball. It's unfortunate for the team and fan base but it is what it is. Although I'm miserable as a fan, having gone through it, I'm sympathetic to what he's going through. I wish he had more support on the recruiting side.

Reaction Score
Ollie isn't allowed to take criticism here. Even by bringing that up you're a traitor!
So you want everyone to agree with your assessment of Ollie? Some of the critique of Coach may be fair but most is outright nonsense. Now in my opinion KO is a good young coach who is going through some growing pains. He should be more demonstrative towards the refs sometimes. Last night were have been the perfect time. We weren't going to win anyway. So he should have stood up for his players especially on AB's 4th foul. The only thing I could think of is he didn't see the play.

BTW SMU is pretty damn good. They played really well last night at home in front of a crowd that was really into it. Of course they are going to be banned pretty soon which is too bad because it is one of best AAC venues.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Ollie isn't allowed to take criticism here. Even by bringing that up you're a traitor!
I don't know if that's true or not - I don't have a feel for the overall give and take on Ollie criticism, but let's review for a moment.

Took over the team and in his first year they were ineligible for the post season, lost a few kids due to the ban, but follows it up the following season with a NC. I get that fans want us to compete every year for a NC, but we aren't Kentucky. Or Duke. We don't land several top 20 kids every single year. I think the fact that Ollie won it all his 2nd year with 1 a hand tied behind his back speaks volumes for what he's able to accomplish. Name 1 other coaches in the history of men's college hoops who accomplished that...

Having said that, there's nothing he can do about the kids he currently has. Some were recruited by him, some by JC, and the team has a lot of flaws. I'm actually more concerned about the future recruiting. We just came off a NC and we managed to land 2 local kids. Don't get me wrong - I think Enosch can be pretty good and Adams is a potential star, but while Ollie seems to be on the list of many more kids, for some reason we just don't seem to be landing them.

I don't know the answer, or even if it's really a problem - it's just an observation on my part. I don't know how "coachable" these kids are and what goes on in practice. I also don't disagree with the criticisms of the teams' overall play. Clearly something is wrong. But for the most part I give Ollie the benefit of the doubt. Let's revisit in 3-4 years and if it's still an issue, then maybe the NC was lighting in a bottle and Ollie has more issues than we thought...

But I have a feeling he's just a young coach learning a lot as he goes. Even tho he has a ton of NBA experience, he wasn't an asst for Calhoun for very long and I think ups and downs for a good young coach are fairly normal...

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
ericsandiego said:
I don't know if that's true or not - I don't have a feel for the overall give and take on Ollie criticism, but let's review for a moment. Took over the team and in his first year they were ineligible for the post season, lost a few kids due to the ban, but follows it up the following season with a NC. I get that fans want us to compete every year for a NC, but we aren't Kentucky. Or Duke. We don't land several top 20 kids every single year. I think the fact that Ollie won it all his 2nd year with 1 a hand tied behind his back speaks volumes for what he's able to accomplish. Name 1 other coaches in the history of men's college hoops who accomplished that... Having said that, there's nothing he can do about the kids he currently has. Some were recruited by him, some by JC, and the team has a lot of flaws. I'm actually more concerned about the future recruiting. We just came off a NC and we managed to land 2 local kids. Don't get me wrong - I think Enosch can be pretty good and Adams is a potential star, but while Ollie seems to be on the list of many more kids, for some reason we just don't seem to be landing them. I don't know the answer, or even if it's really a problem - it's just an observation on my part. I don't know how "coachable" these kids are and what goes on in practice. I also don't disagree with the criticisms of the teams' overall play. Clearly something is wrong. But for the most part I give Ollie the benefit of the doubt. Let's revisit in 3-4 years and if it's still an issue, then maybe the NC was lighting in a bottle and Ollie has more issues than we thought... But I have a feeling he's just a young coach learning a lot as he goes. Even tho he has a ton of NBA experience, he wasn't an asst for Calhoun for very long and I think ups and downs for a good young coach are fairly normal...

As I've said before, we are in a phase when every single one of our classes has been hampered by recruiting handicaps. Boat is the only senior since we only had 10 scholarships that year. Then Omar/Phil are all we got to join a program going on probation. Then Facey/Samuel were guys we got when we had an interim coach. This year's recruits came while our conference was dissolving. It's a lot to overcome.

Future recruiting remains to be seen. There's some pressure on 2016 to just get some talent in here around Adams, especially if you figure there's a fair chance on Hamilton being gone after his sophomore year.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
There's an old saying "You don't want to be the guy to follow the guy".

Threads like this are case in point as to why that saying exists. In this what have you done for me lately world Ollie is a bit more than ten months removed from a national title and with a team that lost a ton from that title team people are sick 0f him because we aren't anything to write home about this year.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
There's an old saying "You don't want to be the guy to follow the guy".

Threads like this are case in point as to why that saying exists. In this what have you done for me lately world Ollie is a bit more than ten months removed from a national title and with a team that lost a ton from that title team people are sick 0f him because we aren't anything to write home about this year.

I don't think its just "being the guy following the guy". I think its a general insanity of modern day sports fans who think you need to win every game, every year or you're an abject failure. That's why I would have totally supported KO chasing the NBA millions last year. You never know when the crazies are going to gather up the pitchforks and torches and come calling for your head. Even when you're the defending national champion and native son.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
So you want everyone to agree with your assessment of Ollie? Some of the critique of Coach may be fair but most is outright nonsense. Now in my opinion KO is a good young coach who is going through some growing pains. He should be more demonstrative towards the refs sometimes. Last night were have been the perfect time. We weren't going to win anyway. So he should have stood up for his players especially on AB's 4th foul. The only thing I could think of is he didn't see the play.

BTW SMU is pretty damn good. They played really well last night at home in front of a crowd that was really into it. Of course they are going to be banned pretty soon which is too bad because it is one of best AAC venues.
I don't know if that's true or not - I don't have a feel for the overall give and take on Ollie criticism, but let's review for a moment.

Took over the team and in his first year they were ineligible for the post season, lost a few kids due to the ban, but follows it up the following season with a NC. I get that fans want us to compete every year for a NC, but we aren't Kentucky. Or Duke. We don't land several top 20 kids every single year. I think the fact that Ollie won it all his 2nd year with 1 a hand tied behind his back speaks volumes for what he's able to accomplish. Name 1 other coaches in the history of men's college hoops who accomplished that...

Having said that, there's nothing he can do about the kids he currently has. Some were recruited by him, some by JC, and the team has a lot of flaws. I'm actually more concerned about the future recruiting. We just came off a NC and we managed to land 2 local kids. Don't get me wrong - I think Enosch can be pretty good and Adams is a potential star, but while Ollie seems to be on the list of many more kids, for some reason we just don't seem to be landing them.

I don't know the answer, or even if it's really a problem - it's just an observation on my part. I don't know how "coachable" these kids are and what goes on in practice. I also don't disagree with the criticisms of the teams' overall play. Clearly something is wrong. But for the most part I give Ollie the benefit of the doubt. Let's revisit in 3-4 years and if it's still an issue, then maybe the NC was lighting in a bottle and Ollie has more issues than we thought...

But I have a feeling he's just a young coach learning a lot as he goes. Even tho he has a ton of NBA experience, he wasn't an asst for Calhoun for very long and I think ups and downs for a good young coach are fairly normal...
I was being facetious...

Reaction Score
I don't think its just "being the guy following the guy". I think its a general insanity of modern day sports fans who think you need to win every game, every year or you're an abject failure. That's why I would have totally supported KO chasing the NBA millions last year. You never know when the crazies are going to gather up the pitchforks and torches and come calling for your head. Even when you're the defending national champion and native son.

You don't think the Lakers crazies would be calling for KO's head if he inherited that dumpster fire this season? It comes with the territory when you are making 3 million plus a year whether it be college or NBA. I personally think he's done a poor job coaching this year, but I have no question he's the right man to lead this program for many more years. At this point I would just like to see the team improve on it's ugly mistakes and grow for next season.

Oh yeah, and recruit 2-3 more immediate impact players...

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
You don't think the Lakers crazies would be calling for KO's head if he inherited that dumpster fire this season? It comes with the territory when you are making 3 million plus a year whether it be college or NBA. ...
Yes. That's my point. Grab all the $$$$ you can, while you can.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Charles Barkley is right about one thing: A lot of the guys who post on this board never got girls in high school.
Ollie is at least two years away from any "Calling out."

Reaction Score
Thank God you're back. And just in time, too.

Now that you're here again, we can expect UConn to run the table and win another National Championship.

Strapped on your running shoes, yet?

Haha, how are you doing. Running shoes are strapped and plane ticket is purchased and heading to San Jose for some warm weather and training. I've had enough of this , too cold and way to much snow.

Very disappointing season at best but the reality of it is we lost to much from last years team and Boat just could not carry the team on his complete shoulders. Certainly were all hoping for the best in the AAC tourney but it is what it is and lets hope the young men advance and continue the season and not in the NIT.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
traitor-1.jpg

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Hell I know I'm great at parties (if I must say so myself) and most of the people who are Husky fans at these parties say many of the same things. It's a new game it's not like you say "Hey if they make the same mistakes as the last few games don't talk about it. Please only talk about the new ones"? I mean c'mon it's a forum to discuss the last games events and what the future holds. And girlfriends/Valentines Day. There's so many threads to choose from my suggestion to you is to look for the one's you like and have a blast. And don't go to the one's that make you say things like this!
He's not married. He has no clue about negativity.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

My feeling is he needs to restrain himself because anything that appears out of control could be held against him on personal issues.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
It didn't have an impact? Huh? Did we watch the same game?
UConn lost by 15 last night due to officiating? What did I watch - I thought I saw TSam not defending, Purveyor and Ham missing jumpers and no help down low...

Reaction Score
KO is fine but after winning that championship with all of the positive press, best young coach and staff, new BBall facility, etc. etc. that went on after, why weren't top recruits lined up in the hall of his office? Yes Adams and Enich are a great start but the NBA wanted him, everyone did, then he signs a nice extension saying he's gonna be here quite awhile. I know recruiting is not over but aren't teams in worse leagues getting some top players or is it all the P5? I can only think of one thing and that is the conference. Am I missing something?

Reaction Score
I know recruiting is not over but aren't teams in worse leagues getting some top players or is it all the P5? I can only think of one thing and that is the conference. Am I missing something?

Whatever it is, it can be overcome with a top recruiter. Our team has a good sale with NBA, Championships, Conference Champs, TV market, brand name and national identity all with over a decade of history.

In business small companies overcome major competition by hiring high level salesman who are experienced closers. Its easy to blame the conference (and it could be the biggest cause) but we have to find a way to overcome our situation and produce positive outcomes. Perhaps our current coaching staff is not up to the task (no offense on them). We need closers not pitch men. Better or increased marketing would help.

There is a recruiter (sales man) out there who could tremendously help our situation, why not ask for resumes or is our current staff locked down for multi-years?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It was a game that UConn was not going to win - no matter what - it's like going to Louisville last year

If you can't handle that then lets just all agree:

Ollie needs to go - let's face it he got lucky last year and the true talent is now there - he's a crappy coach
DHam should have stayed on the west coast - he's overrated and just plain sucks - a real testament to Ollie's crap recruitment talents
Boat is no leader and is a selfish player - he should have left last year
AB will never be an NBA talent - he should be honing his soccer skills with K Facey (another wasted scholarship)
Omar should have transferred
P Nolan gained his weight by eating fast food 24 hrs a day and the clips of him this past summer were staged
TSam would be lucky to play at CCSU but Howie has a soft heart and would allow him to sit on the bench
RP is just RP - a Cadillac with a Pinto engine - he didn't xfer from NC State - he was thrown out for impersonating a basketballer
Next years recruits are here by default and must really suck because they aren't from somewhere thousand miles away

One loss and its doom again

Let's just forget about the 4 titles in the past 16 years - it was all a dream

I am disappointed as anyone about this year results but after seeing in June what was leaving, those were damn big shoes and realizing the cast remaining had very little time together and/or coming off injuries, I resigned myself to the fact that this team might not be very good.
If they play in the NIT, I hope they win. After watching this team since 1965, there were many years we yearned for any post season play and the dream of a national championship was not even a real.

The AAC is not the Big East - but UConn were the kings of the Big East and UConn will be kings of where ever they land - just not this year and probably not the next.

The front of the uniform says the name of 4 National Champions and there aren't many other schools that can compare.

Reaction Score
Ollie has a lot on his mind these days besides basketball. It's unfortunate for the team and fan base but it is what it is. Although I'm miserable as a fan, having gone through it, I'm sympathetic to what he's going through. I wish he had more support on the recruiting side.
Totally agree going through a bad relationship or a divorce is just hard and takes your mind off work even if you try to concentrate really hard. I hope KO can get over this life even and move on to bigger and better things. We do need his mind in the game 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom