Sick of Ollie | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Sick of Ollie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This year is definitely testing Ollie's patience. The first year he did a great job with a team with essentially nothing to play for, but there also wasn't any real pressure on him. Last year everything gelled at the right time and we won the championship.

Now he's going through a divorce, and the talent we have is playing well below the level everyone expected from them. Last year it was relatively easy for him to say no to an NBA job, but this year it won't be. Especially because I expect Oklahoma City to have a vacancy at head coach.

We're going to see just how dedicated to this program KO is. I'm not sure I'd say I expect him to leave after the season, but it's a very real possibility, and I'm worried.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
This year is definitely testing Ollie's patience. The first year he did a great job with a team with essentially nothing to play for, but there also wasn't any real pressure on him. Last year everything gelled at the right time and we won the championship.

Now he's going through a divorce, and the talent we have is playing well below the level everyone expected from them. Last year it was relatively easy for him to say no to an NBA job, but this year it won't be. Especially because I expect Oklahoma City to have a vacancy at head coach.

We're going to see just how dedicated to this program KO is. I'm not sure I'd say I expect him to leave after the season, but it's a very real possibility, and I'm worried.
This is actually a very good point - the Boneyard will explode if he leaves though. I can't even imagine it - I would expect a mass-exodus of transfers as well.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
There's an old saying "You don't want to be the guy to follow the guy".

Threads like this are case in point as to why that saying exists. In this what have you done for me lately world Ollie is a bit more than ten months removed from a national title and with a team that lost a ton from that title team people are sick 0f him because we aren't anything to write home about this year.
So a team that lost 65% of their scoring and 75% of their rebounding from a team that won the national championship and replace them with 3 freshman and a RS transfer Sophomore is supposed to repeat, and if they don't it's because of the coaching. Do I understand the general sentiment here well enough? I'm on record as thinking their is a lot of talent on this team, but they lack experience. Ollie is 100% correct in his assessment of the perimeter shot. SMU was playing stifling defense and was packing in the lane. UConn was settling for the outside shot and as a group, they are not good shooters.

Posters get all up in arms about Coach Calipari and Kentucky for bringing in 5 potential 1&doners, but get upset when UConn builds from the ground up.

Keep in mind that the 1996-97 team was 14-14 before the NIT with 3 Freshman in the first 6. 2 years later, they are National Champions.

UConn won the National Championship a little over 10 months ago and lost a Wooden Candidate and conference POY. Perhaps expectations were set a wee bit too high.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
This is actually a very good point - the Boneyard will explode if he leaves though. I can't even imagine it - I would expect a mass-exodus of transfers as well.

There are posters here who actually want that to happen though (not myself).

pj

Reaction Score
calling out the kids after a loss. How about you call yourself out. We went up 10-3 and Brown made an adjustment and absolutely embarrassed you. I wish the kids would call him out like he calls them out after every loss. A loss here and there can be the players fault, but 10 losses, in this league against this schedule is on the coach.

Jim Calhoun famously never blamed himself for losses, it was always the kids who needed to do more. Were you sick of him too through his last 25 years? Did you wish his players would "call him out" after losses?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Jim Calhoun famously never blamed himself for losses, it was always the kids who needed to do more. Were you sick of him too through his last 25 years? Did you wish his players would "call him out" after losses?

"But Jim Calhoun knew how to recruit! Jim Calhoun never pouted like a little baby during games!"

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
It's his third year. One of those years they were banned from post season play and lost out on recruits. He won't a nc the following year, lost 4 players who's experience and talent were invaluable. This year we have such a young team and boat is doing what he can. Got dham this year. Has enoch and adams coming in and hopefully a few more next year. He is several years away from people calling for his head. I won't how people do in relationships when it starts getting rough

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
There are posters here who actually want that to happen though (not myself).
It would be a death blow to this program. In our current situation we cannot handle a mass exodus of players along with poor recruiting in between coaches.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
It would be a death blow to this program. In our current situation we cannot handle a mass exodus of players along with poor recruiting in between coaches.
This. I think it's just a matter of bringing in an assistant coach with a specialization in recruiting. We need our Kenny Payne (so to speak).

Reaction Score
It didn't have an impact? Huh? Did we watch the same game?
thank you, its one thing to say "officiating wasn't the reason we lost" and I agree last night it definitely wasn't, but it's another completely to say "bad officiating didn't have an impact on the game". Without the awful officiating it would have been around a 10 point game most of the way, maybe less down morose play in the second half or an extra minute or two with a better big on the floor. We've seen this team play like crap an entire game but hang around just close enough to make it close with a 2 minute burst of offensive perfection, so I'd like that chance at the end thank you very much.

What everyone needs to remember is that a game of basketball is a collection of hundreds of dependent events. A player getting a foul at point A has an effect on all of the other events of the game after it, anyone who doesn't understand this should give up watching basketball, watch but give up commenting on a board, or at least admit they don't know a thing about the sport in general.

Reaction Score
Being able to write "sick of Ollie" two and a half years into his tenure, with one national championship and a surprisingly good performance his first year, reflects on no one but the idiot writing it. You wonder how some people hold a job down.

Yes, this is a very frustrating year because the team is not playing up to the combined potential of all its parts. It happens sometimes. If it happens too much to KO, then he's not a great coach. But this is the first time it's happened to him, AND IT COMES THE SEASON AFTER HE'S ONE A FREAKING NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP.

Reaction Score
Being able to write "sick of Ollie" two and a half years into his tenure, with one national championship and a surprisingly good performance his first year, reflects on no one but the idiot writing it. You wonder how some people hold a job down.

Yes, this is a very frustrating year because the team is not playing up to the combined potential of all its parts. It happens sometimes. If it happens too much to KO, then he's not a great coach. But this is the first time it's happened to him, AND IT COMES THE SEASON AFTER HE'S ONE A FREAKING NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP.
And another loss.....

Reaction Score
NEWS FLASH: The board has another attention whore looking for customers.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Ollie is obviously a terrible coach. Off with his head!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom