Should UConn Accept Tennessee's Scheduling Request (If Made)? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Should UConn Accept Tennessee's Scheduling Request (If Made)?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I would make a deal with them.They have to sign Holly to a 15 year contract and we will play them all 15 years on campus.Also they would have to do two other things.
1.They would have to purchase at least 100 handbags and
2.They would have to leave campus dressed in UCONN paraphernalia.
54736460.jpg

Reaction Score
I'm with those who say no. There have been a lot of comments saying we should play them because those involved aren't there anymore. But the University of Tennessee, as an institution, filed these charges against UConn and Maya Moore, so I believe The University of Tennessee, as an institution, has to make it right before I would be comfortable with playing them again.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
Come on UCONN, come out to the state of Oregon, and play both OSU & UO? Maybe you could do a little recruiting while you are in our beautiful state.

My wife and I went to your beautiful state to see UConn play Oregon on New Years Eve day, 2012... A truly fabulous week spent roaming the coast line, eating oysters from Newport to Astoria, visiting Mount Hood, and making merry at Jake's on NewYears Eve...

DSC_6264ABS.jpg

Reaction Score
My wife and I went to your beautiful state to see UConn play Oregon on New Years Eve day, 2012... A truly fabulous week spent roaming the coast line, eating oysters from Newport to Astoria, visiting Mount Hood, and making merry at Jake's on NewYears Eve...

View attachment 21073

Thank you! UCONN could make a swing through the Pacific Norhtwest: UO, OSU, and UW. Or, a 4-team tournament? I think it would be great for UCONN, and for NCAA WBB.

Reaction Score
No... they shouldn't refuse to play them if they meet in the NCAA Tourney... They just need to play Uconn ball and that'll be the end of it... Nothing a good butt whooping can't fix.... or several of them lol :)

That was facetious---sarcastic--obviously nothing Geno would ever do--refuse to play ANY team for the NC. But I agree with you that it would be supreme punishment, and maybe end the feud should Uconn whooop up on them in a title game.

Reaction Score
That was facetious---sarcastic--obviously nothing Geno would ever do--refuse to play ANY team for the NC. But I agree with you that it would be supreme punishment, and maybe end the feud should Uconn whooop up on them in a title game.
Title Game?? Now that's sarcastic lol :)

Reaction Score
I want to say no, but in general I'd like to play teams that accuse UConn of cheating on national TV and embarrass them. Tell the starters they're all getting 40 minutes and let them go to town.

Reaction Score
Title Game?? Now that's sarcastic lol :)
I agree---not likely as long as Holly runs that ship---this year's Tn team had talent 300 plus NCAA teams would scream for--and they were "out-ted" in the pre Sweet 16 game. I'm beating a dead horse, and speaking hypothetically, but if Geno had that talent--especially Diamond--and if she listened and didn't transfer--he would have , IMO, another National Contender.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
If you go read on VolNation, they don't want the game either. They don't want the doors blown off and lose by 30+.

They are more concerned about beating a mediocre Alabama!

Reaction Score
If Tennessee wants to play uconn its a very simple process, just make it to the NC game!

Reaction Score
If the school offers an apology for their atrocious, unwarranted claims, then yes. (I don't see that happening.)
The apology is never coming. Pat made Holly promise that before she passed away. If they approach UCONN be the bigger man and schedule it, their place, and show them how basketball is supposed to be played, day in and day out.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I'd rather see the huskies schedule a series with albany. A coach and program on the rise ! The committee has gone out of it's way not to place Tenn. anywhere near Uconn in the tourney , until they have a reasonable chance at winning. PROTECTIONISM !
You realize that the coach has only been there one year right? She inherited those players from the UCF coach. While it's nice she won the conference again with that team, let us see her do it a few more year and with her recruits before getting all giddy. Does she show potential? Sure, so did Holly those first few years after Pat was gone. Not that I want equate those two but it is a Tenn-UConn thread.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Had to wade in, but what to say? I'm with the folks who say that was then, this is now, move on. I read a number of positives about Geno on Volnation, the discrepancy between our coach and the Nashville one very obvious. Scheduling Tennessee now, when they are in disarray, doesn't help them.
Umm, it seems like you're intimating the Tenn is in Nashville, Tenn is in Knoxville, Vanderbilt is in Nashville...

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I haven't checked the numbers (and I won't) but I'm betting there has been more discussion of the Tennessee program on this broad today than on the entire Tennessee board.

Reaction Score
Playing TN anytime in the foreseeable future just makes no sense to me - if it happens in an NCAA fine, but otherwise ... cannot drink from the same river twice. It was a great rivalry when it was happening because from 1995 - 2008 while it was happening both teams were permanent residence of the top ten and usually the top 3. 11 of 14 championships during that period were won by one or the other team and most of the games were 1 vs. 2.

Uconn has maintained that status, TN has fallen off. Uconn vs. ND comes closest to that standard, with Uconn vs SC, and Uconn vs. Baylor pretty close. A Uconn vs. TN game would be a pale shadow of what it once was, and would be a serious anti-climax.

As to the premise put forth in the article that it would help TN by exposing the team and coaches to a higher standard. Hogwash. The only way it would help is if it was the expected beat down, and the write-ups afterwords were brutal - it might force the ADs hand to get a new coach in.

Well said. To me, the central thesis of the article is just wrong. Yes, Tenn. needs UConn-type approaches to improving their team, but the current coach and staff would not learn that from a game against UConn. Coach Warlick has repeatedly said she does not know how to fix the team's problems. She has coached them for 30 or so games this year (and last) and still cannot analyze the problems and initiate solutions. A beatdown from UConn would not change that, and it would not benefit UConn in any significant way.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Come on UCONN, come out to the state of Oregon, and play both OSU & UO? Maybe you could do a little recruiting while you are in our beautiful state.
That's Tennessee territor :)

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
only way we say yes is if they finally put firm dates on the football home and home we have with them that has been "TBA" for years now.

Reaction Score
Oh, I don't know. I don't think you have our best interests in mind. :rolleyes: But I sure do enjoy the way you folks in Oregon are getting better at BBall.

Like this idea....how about alternating between Coasts around the Christmas holidays - one year out there, one year back East - with the two Oregon teams and the other Huskies. Holiday mini-tourney, East vs West.

Reaction Score
You realize that the coach has only been there one year right? She inherited those players from the UCF coach. While it's nice she won the conference again with that team, let us see her do it a few more year and with her recruits before getting all giddy. Does she show potential? Sure, so did Holly those first few years after Pat was gone. Not that I want equate those two but it is a Tenn-UConn thread.
My significant other graduated from U. Albany. We see plenty of the games, so yes we are aware of everything there. While she did inherit players, she also knew " how " to coach them. I stand by my statement !

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
My significant other graduated from U. Albany. We see plenty of the games, so yes we are aware of everything there. While she did inherit players, she also knew " how " to coach them. I stand by my statement !

She impressed me, and her team was unfairly under seeded, supposedly for the sake of geography alone. They never should have had to play us right out of the gate. They're a talented and well coached team.

I've been wondering if the Syracuse coach has seen this week's HBO episode? If so, I wonder what he's thinking about the Albany coach and team getting air time on the show, while his team got none other than maybe a minute of game highlights.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
The apology is never coming. Pat made Holly promise that before she passed away. If they approach UCONN be the bigger man and schedule it, their place, and show them how basketball is supposed to be played, day in and day out.
Regarding the second sentence; it sounds reasonable but I've never read or heard this. Do you have any sources?

Reaction Score
Total agreement. The apology should be from the current coaching staff, the AD's office, the UT administration and it should be made publicly fully acknowledging that the complaints were completely groundless. Until then, UT can go to hell.

Can someone post the film clip from Braveheart in which Mel Gibson, playing William Wallace, goes over to the English commander and picks a fight? I think what he says to that English commander is about what UConn should say to UT as to the conditions under which UConn will agree to a game with UT.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom