Should UConn Accept Tennessee's Scheduling Request (If Made)? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Should UConn Accept Tennessee's Scheduling Request (If Made)?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
At this point, playing Tennessee would be doing them a favor. Should we be doing these guys a favor after all the dishonest shade Pat threw? My first thought is no. But maybe we let everyone know it was a favor, couching it by saying it returns the favor of playing UConn in 1995. Then beat the snot out them. Or, on 3rd thought, 'em.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
Thank you! UCONN could make a swing through the Pacific Norhtwest: UO, OSU, and UW. Or, a 4-team tournament? I think it would be great for UCONN, and for NCAA WBB.

Oh, by the way, we do plan on doing it again this coming November to see UConn play MSU in PK80...

Reaction Score
Absolutely.

Because (so-called) grown-ups need to model appropriate behavior. Everyone wants (or should want) this competition renewed, and it's really up to the two coaches or ADs or whomever to show how to reconcile and move on in a situation that is not life-or-death or even dysfunctional gov't, etc. In the end, it is just basketball. Grown-ups have to show they can rise above themselves for the greater good.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Never Ever schedule Tenn. After what they tried to do to destroy our program university and everybody associated with it including the fans. Never Ever schedule Tenn. It wasnt only Pat it was the administration, some fans, and some moderators. Those of you who didnt live through it have no idea. I can bet the WBB staff and coaches feel the same Never Ever.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Putting aside the history of the great old rivalry and the anger that still festers deeply within UConn fandom over Pat's slander...what would be the present day benefit to UConn? I'm just not seeing it, aside from the pleasure of giving them a much deserved and long overdue beatdown! :cool:

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Absolutely.

Because (so-called) grown-ups need to model appropriate behavior. Everyone wants (or should want) this competition renewed, and it's really up to the two coaches or ADs or whomever to show how to reconcile and move on in a situation that is not life-or-death or even dysfunctional gov't, etc. In the end, it is just basketball. Grown-ups have to show they can rise above themselves for the greater good.

Why should "Everyone wants (or should want) this competition renewed..."?

For the very reason you later cite, "...it is just basketball.", it's just a game. There's no reason why "everyone should want" it to happen. Things change, teams rise or fall in the overall pecking order as time goes on, and we're now almost ten years removed from a rivalry which is no longer a rivalry anymore, other than in the minds of some of the fans on both sides. None of the players currently on either team are old enough to remember much about it, so it has become more of a legend than a rivalry. Eventually the two teams will play each other in the NCAA tourney, and that will have to suffice for those fans on either side who think it should be a game that's played each year.

Its got nothing to do with adults being adults. It has become totally insignificant anymore in the grand scheme of things. The game has passed this game by.

Reaction Score
Oh, my. Please, my friends, allow me to respectfully state the obvious:

The bizarrely impassioned nature of this thread discussion, even after these lo and many years, provides more than ample evidence of not simply why a game between the two programs should be scheduled, but why it should be an annual home-and-home event in perpetuity. It would, quite obviously, generate huge fan interest...or would those beating their breast and professing their moral outrage at the prospect of such a contingency be willing to prove their intellectual honesty by declining to watch...yeah, right.

What generates huge fan interest is in the best interest of WCBB. And, dare I say it (?), what is good for WCBB even supersedes considerations like, "does it benefit UConn Women's Basketball, or UT Women's Basketball, or Slippery Rock Women's basketball, etc?" The sport we love can use a serious infusion of national fan interest, and any proposed matchup that provides such an infusion should be greeted with general enthusiasm, irrespective of the obvious current disparity between the two programs in question. Even that, alas, will not last forever!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

The bizarrely impassioned nature of this thread discussion, even after these lo and many years, provides more than ample evidence of not simply why a game between the two programs should be scheduled, but why it should be an annual home-and-home event in perpetuity. It would, quite obviously, generate huge fan interest...or would those beating their breast and professing their moral outrage at the prospect of such a contingency be willing to prove their intellectual honesty by declining to watch...yeah, right.

What generates huge fan interest is in the best interest of WCBB. And, dare I say it (?), what is good for WCBB even supersedes considerations like, "does it benefit UConn Women's Basketball, or UT Women's Basketball, or Slippery Rock Women's basketball, etc?" The sport we love can use a serious infusion of national fan interest, and any proposed matchup that provides such an infusion should be greeted with general enthusiasm, irrespective of the obvious current disparity between the two programs in question. Even that, alas, will not last forever!

Reaction Score
There are many more up and coming teams that provide value to Conn and would be more interesting to watch. I saw most of the classic Tenn/UConn games of the past but that team and coach are just memories and history.

Reaction Score
Cannot believe some of the sentiment.... Let bygones be bygones.... 2 wrongs don't make a right.... for the good of the game.... so much time has passed.... etc.....

I have nothing against Tennesseee.... at all...... EXCEPT when it comes to this issue.... it tried hard to destroy our program.... Totally... Do people understand that? With baseless charges.... and then it (specifically Pat, and everyone followed her lead like elephants at the circus) buried its head in the sand...... oh hands off ... "You know what you did" was one of the famous quotes..... what came out of those multi pages of charges? ONE secondary violation.... staff member setting up tour at ESPN for Maya Moore.... (please do not trump this up because around the same time Pat was picking up that same level secondary charge for illegal contact with recruit Meighan Simmons..... as a famous picture with them together meeting in a high school gym against NCAA rules shows).

I think Geno has said for things to return to normalcy, all he would like is a simple apology to the Moore family.... for all the false accusations..... but that will never come. For all who say "yes, let the past be the past"... well that is a noble thought.... but they should check out the Tennessee boards sometime.... STILL, after 10 years, the mud they are still dragging the Moores through.... mentions of handbags, paid apartments, etc.... the (often) foul vile shameful language they use to describe our coach.... and you know what? NEVER with any proof of anything..... NONE!!! That is how powerful and revered Pat is still down that way.... "You know what you did!!" It is still a phrase which is blindly parroted down there.....

This is why I say NOTHING should be afforded TN until some acknowledgement and apology is made for its attempt to destroy our program. And Tenn says absolutely not. I understand that. So, as Geno has said, We have moved on. End of story.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

Who says this game would generate "huge fan interest"? Tennessee has a rapidly shrinking national fanbase due to their newfound irrelevancy, so we're talking about the national UCONN fanbase and who else, exactly? Knoxville isn't much of a media market for driving TV ratings, and the only other people who care are those old enough to remember when it was a major rivalry, meaning folks at least over the age of 25-30 by now. I think the Nielsen numbers for this game would be largely disappointing nationally. There are several better rivalries going on right now that easily upstage this one, including UCONN vs. ND, South Carolina or Baylor. Right now UCONN vs. Tenn. would run a distant fourth to those three in terms of national interest and TV ratings. It's no longer anywhere near the big deal it once was, nor is it likely to ever become a big deal again, even if it is ever revived, which looks like a real longshot at present.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
For the good of the game I think we should send them a couple of players and Shea Ralph. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom