Should UConn Accept Tennessee's Scheduling Request (If Made)? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Should UConn Accept Tennessee's Scheduling Request (If Made)?

Reaction Score
Abolutely yes. The rest of the arguments have been rehashed here and elsewhere.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I have said repeatedly that I miss the rivalry and would love to see it resurrected. I also agree with those that believe no preconditions should be required.

The problem I have is that TN is simply not ready to resume playing UConn. Despite all of the McD AA's that they have, or will have, they are quite literally "broken" and on a downward trajectory that will not be repaired under their present coach.

If UConn plays TN anytime in the next 2-3 years, it would not be pretty, and would do little to remind those of us who once cherished the rivalry of the great games of years gone by.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
No... Nyet... Nada,, Non...

And on, and on, and on...

And as far as CD is concerned, there is Chattanooga and Vandy... Don't know how far they are from Murfreesboro, but her folks might be even more comfortable away from Tennessee...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How about no home games, just away games in Tennessee?

Vandy
Memphis
East Ten State
Middle Ten state
Chattanooga
Bethel
Etc. University

Reaction Score
There is no rivalry. There is no tradition. There is the greatest team in women's college basketball, and there is a sinking, underperforming team somewhere west of here whose coach is likely to be canned in the next year.

As Coach Geno has said before, "nobody cares" about Tennessee/UConn. Nobody cares. There are so many other rivalries, so many great teams to play that playing Tennessee just doesn't register anymore. Clearly, Tennessee's players would do well to play against the greatest team in the country. But the same is the case for other teams.

We can't be bothered.

Reaction Score
I say YES? The main characters are all different now. How can a school apologize for the actions of people not even there anymore? It's just not realistic.
Why does your rationale bring memories of the UConn Men on academic probation for sins they never committed? By wait, I digress.....As I recall Geno is said to have indicated that he won't schedule the Lady Vols until her receives an apology for the false accusations that were level against his program...a stipulation that Holly refused to honor.

Reaction Score
No slander to The Much Respected OP....But this is off season banter at best....:confused:
We are on a ride like none other with a team that is not supposed to be where it is! Could give a Tennessee chicken poop less about who we play down the road, it is next team up season! ;)
If Tenn makes a request at the proper time we should accept it. ( The high road. ) If it is being done at this time of the year which is nothing but a distraction, then it would not happen in my life time. :)

Reaction Score
I remember well the battles between Tenn. and us, and some were really epic. Like I'm sure every one of the UCONN fans on this board I still harbor some hard feelings about several issues. But 99% of that is aimed directly at the head coach and I won't speak ill of the dead, so no more about that. I do not have the same resentment towards their players, many of whom were very skilled and all of whom played very hard but fairly, for the most part. Those contests would not have been epic if not for them.
The fact is, I think memories of that rivalry must exist on both sides, and with a little encouragement it could rise again. And I can only think that would be a very good thing for WCBB. Time to bury the hatchet and the dead.
As to Danger and her homecoming, if she turns out to be what we all hope and expect, I have a very different take from many others here. I'm grinning just thinking about it as I write this.
Can you imagine what it will be like when the first recruit we have stolen from the state of Tennessee goes back home in her senior year and single-handedly dismantles the state's Iconic program one more time?

Reaction Score
I'd like to see Geno prioritize his OOC games with programs that have coaches that can grow and improve the women's college basketball game. Hopefully he can find the next Vanderveer, Walz,Staley etc who through a UCONN series can elevate their program. I don't think Warlick /Tennessee meet that test.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Dangerfield is from Murfreesboro. UT is in Knoxville. That's at least a 150+ mile trip one way. Playing Middle Tennessee State would be a homecoming game for her, or maybe Vanderbilt in Nashville.
Furgit the Vols...........play Vandy in Nashville!

Reaction Score
Had to wade in, but what to say? I'm with the folks who say that was then, this is now, move on. I read a number of positives about Geno on Volnation, the discrepancy between our coach and the Nashville one very obvious. Scheduling Tennessee now, when they are in disarray, doesn't help them. Witnessing another beat-down, whether down there or in Storrs just reinforces the problems they have. I agree that we wait until a new coach is hired and see if she/he can improve the climate. Java, man you are brave.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
There are better schools than Tennessee on six of the seven continents.
And I like the orange uniforms.
upload_2017-3-23_21-30-18.png

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
E
There is no rivalry. There is no tradition. There is the greatest team in women's college basketball, and there is a sinking, underperforming team somewhere west of here whose coach is likely to be canned in the next year.

As Coach Geno has said before, "nobody cares" about Tennessee/UConn. Nobody cares. There are so many other rivalries, so many great teams to play that playing Tennessee just doesn't register anymore. Clearly, Tennessee's players would do well to play against the greatest team in the country. But the same is the case for other teams.

We can't be bothered.

Exactly right. It's nothing more than a trip down memory lane for folks waxing nostalgic for the good ole days. It does nothing for UCONN or the advancement of WCBB. An entire generation of folks are growing up now who have never seen these two teams play. Plus without Pat it isn't the same anymore even if you play it.

Give it the proper burial it deserves and move on. If you want a homecoming game for CD when the time comes, Vandy or MTSU will do just fine.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I think the best part of this thread is how many different forms of "Tennessee is awful and would do us no good" we can come up with.

8 (not the number, but as the symbol for infinity).

Reaction Score
Furgit the Vols......play Vandy in Nashville!
I believe that Vanderbilt is the school that tried to get the NCAA to sanction UConn because Geno congratulated a grammar school athlete ( I don't remember her name but I think she played baseball), on her success and her love of UConn women's basketball. I would tell Vandy to go screw itself.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom