Should UConn Accept Tennessee's Scheduling Request (If Made)? | The Boneyard

Should UConn Accept Tennessee's Scheduling Request (If Made)?

Reaction Score
upload_2017-3-23_17-3-6.png

The Tennessee women’s basketball season ended Monday night with a loss in the second round of the NCAA tournament. A few days later, the Lady Vols should already be thinking about next season. But not just about the team. About the schedule, too.

A word of advice: Connecticut.

Tennessee should do whatever it takes to get the four-time defending national champions on its next schedule. Agree to play in Stoors, Conn. Agree to play anywhere. Just get Connecticut back on the schedule.

Never mind how the series ended in 2007. Forget the history. Look to the future. UT needs UConn now. It needs to experience what makes a great program, the kind Tennessee once had. Coach Geno Auriemma signs exceptional players. But it’s what he does with those players that best explains how Connecticut has won 11 national championships and 109 consecutive games. He gets them to play hard and together. And he accepts nothing less.

This was supposed to be a transitional year for the Huskies after losing the star-studded nucleus of the four consecutive national championship teams. As scary as this might read to the rest of the women’s basketball, the next UConn team could be significantly better…
http://www.knoxnews.com/story/sport...ee-should-schedule-uconn-basketball/99467304/

[MORE]

Reaction Score
Well, obviously Tenn is not going to play in "Stoors" next year!
I think what would be best for the history of the rivalry is to wait until and unless Tenn earns the right in the NCAA tournament. Then they might be good enough to not be an embarrassment to their history.
Time has moved on, the rivalry is gone, and I suspect that Geno wont schedule them without an apology of some sort to the Moores.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting piece - he is generally not one of the Vol fanatics favorite writers as he has been quite critical of them and has praised Geno one time too many.

Reaction Score
View attachment 21047

The Tennessee women’s basketball season ended Monday night with a loss in the second round of the NCAA tournament. A few days later, the Lady Vols should already be thinking about next season. But not just about the team. About the schedule, too.

Tennessee should do whatever it takes to get the four-time defending national champions on its next schedule. Agree to play in Stoors, Conn. Agree to play anywhere. Just get Connecticut back on the schedule.

Never mind how the series ended in 2007. Forget the history. Look to the future. UT needs UConn now. It needs to experience what makes a great program, the kind Tennessee once had. Coach Geno Auriemma signs exceptional players. But it’s what he does with those players that best explains how Connecticut has won 11 national championships and 109 consecutive games. He gets them to play hard and together. And he accepts nothing less.

This was supposed to be a transitional year for the Huskies after losing the star-studded nucleus of the four consecutive national championship teams. As scary as this might read to the rest of the women’s basketball, the next UConn team could be significantly better…

[MORE]
You make a good point. Not that I have interest in helping the Tennessee program, but the rivalry was classic and it has been missed. Basketball fans across the country would benefit if these two teams renewed their rivalry. It is as if the Yankees and Red Sox stopped playing after the Babe Ruth trade Look what we would have missed.

Sadly, I don't think Tennessee would ever reach out to UCONN, because they feel they are disavowing the wishes of their now passed leader. And since Pat Summit cannot speak up and say, " Okay. Enough of this small-mindedness. Let's do the right thing for the game! Let's go ahead and communicate to UCONN that the University of Tennessee would like to resume a home and home series."

It is stupid, small-minded and petty ( unworthy of the Tennessee name ) to maintain the current lack of communication, and atmosphere of disrespect. I believe that continuing the dispute
is, in fact, a dis-service to the memory of Pat who, while easily aggravated, was at heart a great and generous person.

I think the prospect of UCONN/Tennessee games would honor her.

Reaction Score
View attachment 21047

Javaman ---This subject causes me to have multiple personalities;
1. Personality say: Those who were in authority (Holly was there without any authority) at the time of the INCIDENT--need to apologize-- If there is no one there who had authority and par-took in the INCIDENT
Then we should play them with the agreement they must schedule Uconn for the next 4 years---(do you get my drift in that requirement??)
2. Scheduling Uconn--is something Tenn/Vols need to enhance recruitment (Really???) and to put it back into the being with the top DOGS.
3. I'm not much into forgive and forget---but forget works wonders--
4. Scheduling Tenn for Uconn could be a stronger recruiter for those south of the Virginia border--the draw would be mostly Tn, Ky, Va, NC/ --will this help Uconn ?? who knows.

Frankly---If they do ---that's ok---if they don't --I haven't missed it--and with Pat demise--the games just don't have the same meaning.

[MORE]

Javaman ---This subject causes me to have multiple personalities;
1. Personality say: Those who were in authority (Holly was there without any authority) at the time of the INCIDENT--need to apologize-- If there is no one there who had authority and par-took in the INCIDENT
Then we should play them with the agreement they must schedule Uconn for the next 4 years---(do you get my drift in that requirement??)
2. Scheduling Uconn--is something Tenn/Vols need to enhance recruitment (Really???) and to put it back into the being with the top DOGS.
3. I'm not much into forgive and forget---but forget works wonders--
4. Scheduling Tenn for Uconn could be a stronger recruiter for those south of the Virginia border--the draw would be mostly Tn, Ky, Va, NC/ --will this help Uconn ?? who knows.

Frankly---If they do ---that's ok---if they don't --I haven't missed it--and with Pat demise--the games just don't have the same meaning.

Reaction Score
I'd rather see the huskies schedule a series with albany. A coach and program on the rise ! The committee has gone out of it's way not to place Tenn. anywhere near Uconn in the tourney , until they have a reasonable chance at winning. PROTECTIONISM !

Reaction Score
I suggest that UCONN & Oregon State should schedule home & away games, alternating years!

I'd rather seem them play the Ducks. In Columbus, Ohio, as part of a doubleheader with Ohio State vs Maryland. :)

Reaction Score
As a Huskies fan, I don't think that a resumption of the series is of any benefit to UConn. BUT, as someone who also hopes for an improvement in the status of WCBB- I think that a yearly game would have that effect, which the present UConn/ND, USC, etc. games have not.

The UConn/Tenn series was a phenomenon that just magically happens sometimes. It drew a vast audience of people who otherwise could care less about the sport and who probably don't even know that it has been cancelled. But, who would watch it again if it were to resume because it would generate major press hype.

However, it should be scheduled only if and when Tennessee gets a new coach, who, will not have had a Tenn. past as a coach. And who, hopefully, is on good terms with Geno. It should be a benefit game proposed through a third party.

The uninitiated will be amazed at the art that is UConn women's basketball

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
We should create a poll. It appears that only 2 people (shockingly) think we should allow them to play us. I agree with the people who EMPHATICALLY said HELL NO!

If I could like Phil's post 100 times I would. "If the school offers an apology for their atrocious, unwarranted claims, then yes". I agree 100% with this. Geno laid out his requirements to schedule them. Apologize to Maya and her family, and then we will take a look-see. Until then, pound the sand...

Reaction Score
I say not just YES, but HELL YES! To paraphrase the eminently quotable Kim Mulkey, it's now long past time for both programs to "put on their big girl pants" and do what's best for WCBB and for fan interest. These lingering resentments are rooted in an era from long ago, to the point that they are now just petty and silly. UConn should always stand for a principle that it will meet any potential opponent, anytime and anywhere. Bring on the LV's, and I, for one, hope they'll improve to the point that they can be worthy opponents, a prospect which looks like it's going to take a while!

Reaction Score
I'd say we put the past in the rear view mirror and play them again. Donate some of the proceeds to Pat's charity, and get on with it for the good of the game. I get that Tenn needs us more than we need them (we don't). Who cares? People would go and watch that big time. Homecoming game for Dangerfield in a couple years?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom