Should seniors get another year of eligibility? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Should seniors get another year of eligibility?

Reaction Score
It is a valid argument for spring sports but for basketball do you really want these kids to put their lives on hold for one, two six games? Get real. Move on. This is a ridiculous issue.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I get the genesis of where this is coming from, and it's a hot button issue right now, but truthfully, if this becomes an epidemic, or whatever the right word is (pandemic?), it's possible next year will be cancelled too. If this disease works anything like the flu, it will go dormant in the hot summer months and then rear its' ugly head again in October+ as flu season starts hitting people.

Regardless, I'm 100% opposed to the idea of granting an extra year to any senior who wants it. Normally I agree with Geno, but he's flat out wrong on this.

It's a bummer for the seniors, and other players, who are affected by the season ending. It's sad that the head coach of Team USA holds out her hand in a selfish manner asking for the NC trophy. I just read that the ACC has suspended recruiting (I thnk it was the ACC). The whole situation is unfair, but it's where we are at the moment.

This thing will get much worse before it gets better. There will be many more people in sports impacted as time goes on. Uncharted territory for sure.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
In this unique circumstance, with athletes who have been shortchanged,
it is natural that proposals like this circulate and are momentarily contemplated...

But after cooler minds examine it and the litany of negative, unintended consequences,
it will pass.

Wisely.
I doubt it. It's a ridiculous idea !

Reaction Score
Geno was not referring to spring sports. What a shame that Oregon doesn't get a chance to play for the NC. After All Sabrina accomplished, I'm sure she wanted to win the NC. They would have been the favorites.
Yea too bad.

Reaction Score
NO! I think it is a ridiculous idea. This would change college sports for years to come. Why would Geno bring this up it doesn't help Uconn at all. Who do we have that is going to help this team next year ? He is only helping other teams that don't give a damn about Uconn. He needs to start thinking about his own team more now days.
Just think if Sabrina still felt she had "unfinished business: and stayed another year. Not only would her record become impossible to break, if NCAA had "image and likeness" approved, I am sure she'd make more from that #20 jersey staying in Oregon and playing the tourney next year than going to the WNBA. With those 7 McDonald AAs along with Sabrina conducting, who would stop them.

Reaction Score
Geno was not referring to spring sports. What a shame that Oregon doesn't get a chance to play for the NC. After All Sabrina accomplished, I'm sure she wanted to win the NC. They would have been the favorites.
Yes it took a pandemic for her not to win it this year.

Reaction Score
Regardless, I'm 100% opposed to the idea of granting an extra year to any senior who wants it. Normally I agree with Geno, but he's flat out wrong on this.
I can't read Geno's mind but I think this was more of an emotional response for his seniors than he wanting to grant the basketball seniors an extra year.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
In this unique circumstance, with athletes who have been shortchanged,
it is natural that proposals like this circulate and are momentarily contemplated...

But after cooler minds examine it and the litany of negative, unintended consequences,
it will pass.

Wisely.
I doubt it. It's a ridiculous idea !

If you re-read msf's post you just might find that he agrees with you!

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I saw where Jessica Shepard has already asked for a waiver to get a "5th" year of eligibility due to the pandemic. :):eek::rolleyes:

It's uninformed and half-truth posts like this that really get under my skin. Jessica Shepard did not ask for a waiver to get a "5th" year of eligibility. That's preposterous. Especially since the NCAA reached out and offered Jessica a "5th" year of eligibility without her even asking. So stop with the crazy talk.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Like many on this thread, I can't see this for those playing winter sports.
However, I can very much see a case being made for those who play spring sports. However, just how feasible is that when one looks at scholarship situation of those sports (lacrosse, baseball, softball, track & field, crew, etc.) at D-1 and D-2. And, in the case of D-3, 2020 seniors are probably going to be in the workforce at this time next year.

Uggh, all the way around. Stay healthy, my friends....

Reaction Score
It's uninformed and half-truth posts like this that really get under my skin. Jessica Shepard did not ask for a waiver to get a "5th" year of eligibility. That's preposterous. Especially since the NCAA reached out and offered Jessica a "5th" year of eligibility without her even asking. So stop with the crazy talk.
Calm down. Didn't you see the emojis ?
It was sarcasm.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So I’ll jump in here with a new slant. Let’s say the NCAA allows seniors to return for another year. Shouldn’t they also allow incoming freshmen, many of whom committed with an understanding that they would compete for PT and a starting job based on the fact that certain players were graduating, to re-evaluate their commitment?

For instance, we know that one of the attractions for Paige about UConn is that Crystal was graduating, so she will have the opportunity to compete for the starting pg spot next season. As it is Paige will be competing for PT with Evina & Nika. If Crystal came back next year, there would be an absolute logjam at pg.

So the NCAA should then allow incoming freshmen to recommit. Then maybe the incredibly talented young lady from Hopkins HS could choose another school, along with her BFF from DC.

Just sayin.....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Perhaps a solution is to have two tournaments next year, one in March and April and a second in April and May. The second tournament would be constituted of teams who should have played this year. Of course, the conference tournaments that were not completed this year would have to be held to determine the teams that should have been eligible to play this year.

Kyla couldn't play, because she wouldn't have been able to play this year.

Reaction Score
Not for Basketball. Spring Sports I have no problems with. For Women's Basketball the cancellation only impacts 96 teams (NCAA & WNIT) and 64 of the teams would have only played one Game. That's not enough of an impact to grant another year of eligibility. If we're realistic the Elite teams would only get stronger if they can keep this years seniors plus their incoming recruiting class. Can you imagine what Oregon would be if they kept their Four Seniors (inclu Sabouly) and add it their Five McDonald All Americans. UConn while not the same as Oregon, would be enhanced if Crystal could play another year with their incoming recruiting class.

At least we would know who the 5th starter for UConn would be. :D

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
It's sarcasm, plain and simple. Thanks for thinking that I posted this as something serious or remotely meant to be factual. Thinking that it was otherwise, well that's preposterous and crazy.

And yet you "liked" the post that you are now criticizing me for posting. Head bang

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
If all spring sports are cancelled, then I believe every student athlete playing those sports would automatically have an extra year of eligibility if they and their school agreed on it. It would be like they all red-shirted a year. The only losers in this might be HS kids who don't get a spring sports scholarship because there wouldn't be room. (Since it's unlikely that any high school students would extend their high school careers.) Also, spring sports seniors who graduate would be able to transfer to other schools and play immediately as graduate transfers for a year. So a top softball pitcher at Florida could graduate and play next spring for Tennessee.

Basketball is a different story. Nothing is automatic. The NCAA would have to come up with guidelines, and each school or conference would probably have a say in how they handle it.

I doubt that either top mens or womens players would eschew the draft (I'm assuming both the NBA and WNBA will hold the draft, even if it's not a public event). Heck, a lot of the top men's players leave early. But non-drafted or late-round draftee players who feel they might enjoy increased playing time might see an advantage to staying in school and extra year. The NCAA would have to have bullet-proof guidelines that applied universally. Would they allow seniors given eligibility to transfer as graduate students to other schools? Would they allow teams to expand rosters? Would they authorize more scholarships so incoming high school seniors wouldn't be penalized? (A lot of these HS seniors have been robbed of their final tournaments as well!) Would they mandate schools to offer a fifth year to seniors or leave it as a school option?

I suspect that the NCAA will pass on any extension for college basketball players.

Reaction Score
I can't read Geno's mind but I think this was more of an emotional response for his seniors than he wanting to grant the basketball seniors an extra year.
That's the way I took it. Totally impractical for basketball, as was his suggestion that the NCAA pay for the 5th-year scholarships in excess of the limit. He knows this.

As for the spring sports athletes, don't they "automatically" get another year of eligibility since they won't be using up any eligibility this year?

Reaction Score
Well, I hope SCar and Oregon can find a way to schedule a regular season game next year - but it won't be the same without the seniors from both teams. Yes, Oregon has the great "star power" seniors, but SCar's two seniors were the glue that bonded our superfrosh together.

As talented as our freshmen are, nothing assures us that they will ever be as cohesive a TEAM again without the leadership of Kiki and Tyasha.

Financially speaking; I don't see how the Oregon and/or SCar (or Baylor or UConn or Maryland etc) seniors can afford to wait another year. But then again there may be no American or Euro pro seasons for them to miss.

Alas, I feel I must vote "NO."

Reaction Score
So I’ll jump in here with a new slant. Let’s say the NCAA allows seniors to return for another year. Shouldn’t they also allow incoming freshmen, many of whom committed with an understanding that they would compete for PT and a starting job based on the fact that certain players were graduating, to re-evaluate their commitment?

For instance, we know that one of the attractions for Paige about UConn is that Crystal was graduating, so she will have the opportunity to compete for the starting pg spot next season. As it is Paige will be competing for PT with Evina & Nika. If Crystal came back next year, there would be an absolute logjam at pg.

So the NCAA should then allow incoming freshmen to recommit. Then maybe the incredibly talented young lady from Hopkins HS could choose another school, along with her BFF from DC.

Just sayin.....
I don't think NCAA will grant 1 year eligibility. If anything postpone the tournament if possible. But if you grant another year of eligibility for seniors, freshman should get something too? another year themselves, then it just becomes very difficult situation. With this unprecedented situation we move on or suspend the tournament with heavy health and safety precautions before they play (without fans).

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I understand the idea for athletes in spring sports who haven't started competition or have only just done so, but basketball players at most missed 6-9 post season games after a 30 game season. For all athletes in all sports it would also create so many added issues for schools - how do you treat scholarship limits, how do you handle and train an extend roster, and for basketball how do you treat records created during the 5th year both within the school record books and the national record books. Current record for WCBB games played is I think Kalana Greene at 157 (because she was injured in her 8th game as a junior and got a red-shirt year based on long standing NCAA rules.) Dangerfield will blow that away if granted a 5th year because she has played 30+ games in her first four as will most other seniors. She will also create a new Uconn record for assists with another 30+ games to play.

In Geno's longer interview he talked about how he will discuss the situation with Dangerfield and remind her in the journey through life if in her next 21 years her biggest disappointment will have been missing her senior year NCAA tournament she will be able to count herself very blessed. I think that is a very good approach and one that makes sense for everyone.

I do think that those juniors who have the chance to enter the WNBA draft this year may well reconsider their options. Some may change their decision and stay for another year, others may choose to go forward with a decision to turn pro. There is no correct decision and no way of knowing what the future is. For Sabrina what would her decision have been last year if she knew the NCAA would be canceled this year?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom