Should seniors get another year of eligibility? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Should seniors get another year of eligibility?

Reaction Score
I imagine there could be, but--again--trying to come up with a solution that is fair to everyone involved (and I would include the current freshmen, sophomores, and juniors in this since they have also may have been denied an opportunity/games that will never come again) is, in my view, hopeless. What happened/is happening is unspeakably sad, but sometimes it's better simply to acknowledge that and move on rather than assume that somehow the right remedy can make things ok again. In the case of my team, I don't think any of this will really matter. For 4 years now Ionescu and Hebard have done more for UO wbb than anyone could ever have imagined and I have no doubt that both believe it's time to open a new chapter. Moore might be an exception, but I suspect that she will want to move on from college as well, and Sabally (only a junior, I know) will still want to do what's best to support her family. So, whatever the NCAA decides, Oregon in 2020-21 will be very different from Oregon in 2019-20. Sad for all of us? Of course. But imo it's time--and it's right--for Duck fans to turn the page as well.
Turning the page is easier in a world of stability. For the Oregon players and other seniors who are pro ready, there are no professional leagues to play in for the foreseeable future until the virus crisis is mitigated. For other seniors, finding jobs with livable wages will be a difficult task in a recession/depression. Small businesses are shuttering every day now with greater rapidity, less than a month after our stock market valuations were at all-time highs.

On-line learning may be what college life is like for all in our country during the next year. If so, it makes sense for senior athletes to remain in school and work on graduate degrees if they are allowed by the NCAA to do so and are supported by scholarships.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
No. At that point it's time to be growing up they're young women, adults. Life happens.

Reaction Score
I do think that those juniors who have the chance to enter the WNBA draft this year may well reconsider their options. Some may change their decision and stay for another year, others may choose to go forward with a decision to turn pro. There is no correct decision and no way of knowing what the future is. For Sabrina what would her decision have been last year if she knew the NCAA would be canceled this year?
If Sabrina also knew that pro sports would be suspended and the WNBA season cancelled or postponed due to the same reason, she likely would have stayed in school, worked on her game, gotten physically stronger, and moved closer to finalizing her graduate degree. That is what is being considered by NCAA administrators for the winter sports seniors during these unprecedented times.

Reaction Score
I believe the NCAA will announce that Jordan Danberry will get another year. Everyone else, no dice.

Again? This year was already an extension year.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Tara weighs in:

VanDerveer agrees with Friday’s NCAA decision that extends the eligibility of spring sport athletes who have had their season canceled. But she doesn’t think such an extension applies to basketball, even if seniors missed their tournament chance.​
“For spring sports it’s legitimate,” she said. “But basketball is different. We played our whole season. What it means is 64 teams didn’t get one more game.”​

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Tara weighs in:
“For spring sports it’s legitimate,” she said. “But basketball is different. We played our whole season. What it means is 64 teams didn’t get one more game.”
That's it in a nutshell.

Reaction Score
Tara weighs in:

VanDerveer agrees with Friday’s NCAA decision that extends the eligibility of spring sport athletes who have had their season canceled. But she doesn’t think such an extension applies to basketball, even if seniors missed their tournament chance.​
“For spring sports it’s legitimate,” she said. “But basketball is different. We played our whole season. What it means is 64 teams didn’t get one more game.”​
Or 96 teams with the NIT included. Or two, three, four, five, or six more games for some teams. Tara has been in the game for a long time and has roster spots to clear....

The "whole season" was not played. That is why the discussions continue to provide additional opportunity for those seniors who did not play a "whole" season.

Reaction Score
Or 96 teams with the NIT included. Or two, three, four, five, or six more games for some teams. Tara has been in the game for a long time and has roster spots to clear....

The "whole season" was not played. That is why the discussions continue to provide additional opportunity for those seniors who did not play a "whole" season.
95% of basketball games were played, perhaps even a higher percentage than that given how many teams there are and most of them don't make any kind of post-season tournament or go very deep in their conference tournament if they have one.

Reaction Score
my initial reaction would be a resounding no because I am focused on basketball.

But if there are sports now getting started, I would treat this like a "season ending injury" and give them a fifth year if they lose more than half of their season .... are there any spring sports just getting started? baseball, track and field, etc
An injured player can only play in app 8 games or less to be eligible.

Reaction Score
To be honest and upfront with an extra year for Seniors being discussed for basketball. Why is this even a discussion? Seasons over that's it! Move on!

Reaction Score
One projected WNBA 1st round senior (expected to be taken #11 by the Storm by ESPN) said if granted another year of eligibility she'd stay in school. She feels she wants to play another year to get closure by playing the tourney and since she wants to be a doctor, I am sure another year of education wouldn't hurt.

Reaction Score
One projected WNBA 1st round senior (expected to be taken #11 by the Storm by ESPN) said if granted another year of eligibility she'd stay in school. She feels she wants to play another year to get closure by playing the tourney and since she wants to be a doctor, I am sure another year of education wouldn't hurt.

Pivec is one example of why I am hopeful that winter sports seniors receive that additional season. Lots of other examples out there as well for whom competing for one's school and college community remains a highly valued opportunity. Graduating seniors are looking at a very bleak job market and could use another year in school to better prepare themselves for life after the virus is contained.

I understand the logistical issues that would need to be addressed. However, there are bright people in this world that can figure out how to get it done for those who still would like that opportunity and had it taken away from them.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I thought this thread was discussing Senior Citizens :oops::oops:
LOL. I used up my eligibility 50 years ago and since then, the basket is higher and farther away from every distance. . But I’m good at doing a high five after a 3.

Reaction Score
What if the team has already filled their scholarships for next year?
A one-year, one-time scholarship expansion has been discussed. Also, only the eligibility could be granted for the 5th year seniors without a guarantee of an athletic scholarship. The latter option would really limit the number of returning seniors who opted to come back, but would provide the opportunity for those impacted by the pandemic and willing to finance it themselves and/or earn academic-based assistance.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Not a fan of this whole idea.

Doesn't make sense to have players who virtually have four complete years of experience back on the court for a fifth complete year.

If a player sustains a season-ending injury on the eve of the NCAA tournament, that's also a very unfortunate circumstance that's out of her control, but that's not a reason to grant her an extra year. I really don't see why this situation should be treated as fundamentally different.

The difficult job market should not be the decisive factor here. This is something that is facing all graduates, and a more global solution is needed than just for athletes. How about additional grants or academic scholarships for those who wish to further their education?

Reaction Score
There are a lot of people who have responded that the winter sports seniors simply need to move on with their lives because their regular seasons were complete. I understand the stated concerns as well as the challenges required to overcome to try to provide some kind of final opportunity to those impacted by the tournament cancellations.

Athletes are typically granted five school years to play four seasons. Redshirt seasons are granted routinely based upon whether the athlete played in less than 30% of their regular season. Exceptions are also granted by the NCAA for special circumstances. The cancellation of the tourneys due to the epidemic is a unique special circumstance.

The fact that the NCAA is even considering doing something for the impacted winter sports seniors is a sign that the NCAA is either evaluating the potential of future litigation or attempting to evaluate how to do the right thing for a group of athletes that were negatively impacted by an unprecedented NCAA decision/action.

I am all for giving that limited group a final opportunity to go out the way that they had earned this year and had dreamed of as young players, with or without a scholarship. Limit the opportunity to those who haven't already used a redshirt season if necessary. Give those impacted seniors something other than a spring term comprised of remote learning, no graduation ceremonies to celebrate the attainment of a degree, sheltering in place and/or observing curfews for what may be weeks or months, and the memory of earning a postseason tournament bid with their team and not being able to experience that opportunity.

Reaction Score
I think it’s more likely than not there will be no NCAA basketball next year. The most optimistic estimates for a vaccine are 12 to 18 months.

Reaction Score

Good for her to want to be a Dr. It will be coming out of her own pocket though!

Reaction Score
Pivec is one example of why I am hopeful that winter sports seniors receive that additional season. Lots of other examples out there as well for whom competing for one's school and college community remains a highly valued opportunity. Graduating seniors are looking at a very bleak job market and could use another year in school to better prepare themselves for life after the virus is contained.

I understand the logistical issues that would need to be addressed. However, there are bright people in this world that can figure out how to get it done for those who still would like that opportunity and had it taken away from them.
Because she will miss 1 to 6 games they should grant Srs a another season. A very dumb reason!

Reaction Score
Honestly, I don't think there should be extra eligibility. Its not good that seniors didn't get a chance in the tournament and I will miss it. But they (for the most part) a full season. They just didn't get a shot at a NC.

Reaction Score
To be honest and upfront with an extra year for Seniors being discussed for basketball. Why is this even a discussion? Seasons over that's it! Move on!
It remains a discussion because of the cancellation of a number of conference tournaments and the biggest event in collegiate athletics, the NCAA tournament. Whenever opportunity and an earned experience is taken away from an individual due to an unprecedented circumstance, thought is given to those who have been adversely impacted the most by the loss.

Is there anything that can be done for those seniors who earned that opportunity with their teams this season but won't be able to have one last shot to fulfill that experience? Collegiate sports may be on the shelf for an extended time due to the virus. The way we are able to live our lives has been altered significantly. Opportunity gives hope to those who can use some additional hope right now. That is why I simply don't want to push the senior athletes out the door when there may be a path that can provide opportunity to those that truly want it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom