Should Mensah start over Hopkins/Newsome??? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Should Mensah start over Hopkins/Newsome???

Reaction Score
Please don't compare Arkeel to Donald Brown as a runner. And I like Arkeel.
I was simply replying to another's post if you happened to read my entire post with the quoted section. I was merely giving facts. That is all.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Dan, just stop. Pretty clear what the OP was saying.

WATCH THE DAMN GAME!!!!

Then your reading comprehension needs some work. His "watch the damn game" speech was calling out the OLine as the reason why none of our backs got 50 yards on Saturday. Not one. And I assume he's coupling that with the fact that the Boneyard loves to take someone after one game, or in this case, one half of a game, and anoint them as the next coming. Last week was Hopkins. This week is Mensah.

But whatever. Go back to moaning and then claiming some sort of victory off of your moaning like in every other thread...

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I'm having a little trouble taking Kris's defense of Newsome completely seriously, but I think there have been far more bad takes on the other side of the argument. Arkeel is is not on the level of our all-time great RBs and does have his flaws, but he is a very good player who has shown on many occasions that he can do good things for this team against our competition. He's not above criticism and there are arguments for reducing his carries/shifting his role, but the idea that he should be thrown in the doghouse is fairly ludicrous. Hopkins and Mensah should be earning more touches, but based on their own merits and not because Arkeel can't help the team.

Reaction Score
I'm having a little trouble taking Kris's defense of Newsome completely seriously, but I think there have been far more bad takes on the other side of the argument. Arkeel is is not on the level of our all-time great RBs and does have his flaws, but he is a very good player who has shown on many occasions that he can do good things for this team against our competition. He's not above criticism and there are arguments for reducing his carries/shifting his role, but the idea that he should be thrown in the doghouse is fairly ludicrous. Hopkins and Mensah should be earning more touches, but based on their own merits and not because Arkeel can't help the team.
Nailed it. Arkeel can still be effective for us in the right role, but running him straight into the defensive tackle 10 times a game isn't going to cut it.

Reaction Score
I feel bad for some of the kids that have gone thru several coaching changes over their career here. new regime, new system, means nobody's safe... Whomever fits what's going on now and beyond have to play, for the advancement of the program...

Reaction Score
Talk about misrepresenting things. Nobody is saying Newsome shouldn't play or is in anybody's "doghouse." But we now seem to have other backs who bring some skills to the table that he doesn't. That hasn't been the case the last couple of years. I also note that we have a good running backs coach for a change. Mensah? Who knows. Looked like he has some potential in a similar role, but I agree it was after the game was decided. He could well develop into a solid back. Hopkins clearly brings quickness size and power that we haven't had in a while. The things we kept hoping for but never seemed to get from Johnson. Thompson? Looks to be the best blocker of the group so far but it's a slow race. Newsome brings some things too. He has a role. Just not the primary running back anymore.

And one more note. We have the oline we have. So we need to use the backs with the tools to best operate under the conditions we have. To paraphrase Donald Rumsfeld, you go into the season with the oline you have not the one you wish you had. Given what we have we need a runner who hits the hole quickly and can gain yardage on his own. Those aren't Newsome's strongest skills.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
ThisIsUConnCountry‏ @MattSchonvisky
Edsall on AAC Call: RB Kevin Mensah will see more reps now that he's fully healthy after getting banged up at end of camp. #UConnFootball

ThisIsUConnCountry‏ @MattSchonvisky 4m 4 minutes ago
High praise from #UConnFootball HC Randy Edsall for RB Kevin Mensah: "He has the most speed & biggest burst of anyone on our football team."

Well if he's faster than Swann we need to get him the ball as much as possible. I wish someone besides Thompson could pass block, though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom