Should Mensah start over Hopkins/Newsome??? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Should Mensah start over Hopkins/Newsome???

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I know it's a little bit gimmicky, but I'd like to see a little bit more of the wildcat with DW receiving the snap, BS out wide, and Arkeel in motion. There are a lot of possibilities there that the defense would have to account for.

I like it too. He's a much better passer than McCummings was, and I think you're right about the possibilities. Way better than the situation that DeLeone had set up...

Reaction Score
Newsome was the top recruit only a few years ago. It shows the dangers of touting recruits. They are all good in high school but how they perform on the next level is a completely different story.
Your comment here sums up our problem in general and not many touch on it. He was our top recruit and we were his ONLY D1 offer. Even Army did not offer him and they offer half the graduating males in the country. Our recruiting classes have had us stealing from schools that are not playing in D1, no need to list the schools here as we all know who they are.

Donald Brown would have wished he went to another school if he had to run behind the OL we've had for the last 4 years. (Feel bad the OL had to deal with so many incompetent coaches)

Newsome made a bad choice coming to UConn.
I agree with you on the DB comment but as for AN coming here see comment above.

Reaction Score
Seriously???? Aren't there enough QBs playing WR on this team???
I'm not saying we should overhaul our offense..... I'm just saying it looks like something we can throw in once or twice a game to maybe catch the defense off guard like we did today.

Reaction Score
lol I love that some people are taking the OP seriously. some of you are absolutely terrible football fans.
IMG_0098.jpg

Reaction Score
I'm not saying we should overhaul our offense..... I'm just saying it looks like something we can throw in once or twice a game to maybe catch the defense off guard like we did today.
Our offense is not the problem.

Reaction Score
Newsome is not a good RB from scrimmage and rarely has the ability to run past initial contact. To my eye, he's not explosive or all that fast. He's elusive and I think is best in the slot.

Hopkins and maybe even Mensah show the ability to take on initial contact much more effectively. I suspect we will be seeing a lot more of both.

Reaction Score
lol I love that some people are taking the OP seriously. some of you are absolutely terrible football fans.

He may gave me meant it as a joke, but Newsome is not a good RB, and calling him "our best offensive player" when we were 128th in offense last year.....not a resounding endorsement

Reaction Score
He may gave me meant it as a joke, but Newsome is not a good RB, and calling him "our best offensive player" when we were 128th in offense last year.....not a resounding endorsement

No, it's not a resounding endorsement, but he's lead the team in all-purpose yards the last 2 years and ripped off some long TD runs (and yes, Noel was tremendous too when they could get the ball to him). Even though the OP was being sarcastic, some of the people responding are a little quick to throw Arkeel under the bus after 2 games in this new offense. If Lashee finds a better way to utilize him he's dangerous in open field. If he sucks running between the tackles, split the reps with Hopkins & Mensah.

Reaction Score
Newsome has always been a bit over rated in my book. He is a little slow hitting the hole , not overly powerful when he gets there and he lacks speed in the open field. I've lost count of the times he looked like he was going to break away only to be run down. His biggest strength is he can avoid guys in the open field. Frankly I always thought he would have made a great kick/punt returner. As a back he is much closer to McCombs than Todman or Brown.

Reaction Score
Newsome has always been a bit over rated in my book. He is a little slow hitting the hole , not overly powerful when he gets there and he lacks speed in the open field. I've lost count of the times he looked like he was going to break away only to be run down. His biggest strength is he can avoid guys in the open field. Frankly I always thought he would have made a great kick/punt returner. As a back he is much closer to McCombs than Todman or Brown.

That opening run against Houston that should have been a TD where he got caught by a LB was the most telling play for me

Reaction Score
No, it's not a resounding endorsement, but he's lead the team in all-purpose yards the last 2 years and ripped off some long TD runs (and yes, Noel was tremendous too when they could get the ball to him). Even though the OP was being sarcastic, some of the people responding are a little quick to throw Arkeel under the bus after 2 games in this new offense. If Lashee finds a better way to utilize him he's dangerous in open field. If he sucks running between the tackles, split the reps with Hopkins & Mensah.

I don't disagree, but we say every year "we just have to get Arkeel the ball in space" or "put Arkeel in the slot" or "put Arkeel in motion".....3 coaches have come and gone for him and they still refuse to do that. That is one of two things....either all 3 were/are so terrible that they refused to the obvious....or they think that he won't succeed in that position. Clearly the former may be true, but there is probably some truth to the latter

Also, there were multiple plays yesterday where if he had just gone North and South he would have gain 2/3/4 extra yards, instead he decided to stop his momentum and try and juke the tackler....leading to a loss, hes a Senior....that's a rookie mistake

Reaction Score
Newsome is not a good RB from scrimmage and rarely has the ability to run past initial contact. To my eye, he's not explosive or all that fast. He's elusive and I think is best in the slot.

Hopkins and maybe even Mensah show the ability to take on initial contact much more effectively. I suspect we will be seeing a lot more of both.

It amazes me how little some of you know about football. You watch it, but you don't actually watch it. The OL is GOD AWFUL at run blocking. Watch the game!!! They don't gain leverage. They don't drive their feet. The get ZERO push. They create very few running lanes. They stand up like they're pass blocking. The DL punches them in the chest and they stumble into the backfield or over each other. If there's a blitz, forget it. It's all there. Just watch the game. Hopkins had a great first game, bouncing plays outside. Mensah could be something. Newsome has been very slow to start the season running, but he is our biggest weapon because of his ability to run/catch the ball. I won't even touch Thompson, because he took an absolute beating yesterday on blitz pickup. Watch the game!!! Listen to the game!!! How many times did they mention the OL's inability to win in the trenches? Until the 4Q (garbage time) when Hopkins and Mensah had their longest runs, BS was our running game. Why??? UVa All American safety, Quin Blanding, said their scouting report said #5 (Pindell) was the runner and #4 was the pocket passer. They weren't worried about BS running. They were going to disguise their pressure, make him uncomfortable in the pocket, and make him run. This wasn't Holy Cross. The running backs had nowhere to run, BY DESIGN. UVa and every other team we play is going to do the same thing. Make BS beat them with his arm!!! Until the OL can get some push, get use to numbers like these:

Shirreffs: 14-90
Hopkins: 9-20 (before 17yd run 4Q)
Mensah: 5-19 (before 30yd TD 4Q)
Newsome: 6-16

....and WATCH THE DAMN GAME!!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It amazes me how little some of you know about football. You watch it, but you don't actually watch it. The OL is GOD AWFUL at run blocking. Watch the game!!! They don't gain leverage. They don't drive their feet. The don't get ZERO push. They create very few running lanes. They stand up like they're pass blocking. The DL punches them in the chest and they stumble into the backfield or over each other. If there's a blitz, forget it. It's all there. Just watch the game. Hopkins had a great first game, bouncing plays outside. Mensah could be something. Newsome has been very slow to start the season. I won't even touch Thompson, because he took and absolute beating yesterday on blitz pickup. Watch the game!!! Listen to the game!!! How many times did they mention the OL's inability to win in the trenches? Until the 4Q (garbage time) when Hopkins and Mensah had their longest runs, BS was our running game. Why??? UVa All American safety, Quin Blanding, said their scouting report said #5 (Pindell) was the runner and #4 was the pocket passer. They weren't worried about BS running. They were going to disguise their pressure, make him uncomfortable in the pocket, and make him run. This wasn't Holy Cross. The running backs had nowhere to run, BY DESIGN. UVa and every other team we play is going to do the same thing. Make BS beat them with his arm!!! Until the OL can get some push, get use to numbers like these:

Somehow the hot takes on this board are worse than they were last year. It's been two games in two brand new systems and all of a sudden our best RB isn't a RB anymore, Tempo is a failure, the defensive scheme is an "FCS scheme" etc. etc.

If anything I'm embarrassed that these people are UConn football fans. My mom and sister are more knowledgeable than these guys, and to quote Chief, they are "casual fans"

Reaction Score
The problems on this team, like on most teams, begin and end at the QB. Obviously something happened to Pindell to have him go from the ordained #1 to never seeing the field, but I was an advocate for starting him vs UVA. The bright lights of opening night may have been overwhelming, but after two weeks of practice and introspection I start him and evaluate at the half. With his quicker release ( and UVA expecting him to run) who knows what we could have accomplished. The D would still be slow and surprisingly poor at tackling so the outcome may have been the same but, as a UVA fan told me, "our QB had a career day--last week all those long passes he completed against ͏y͏o͏u were overthrown/under thrown against Indiana" ͏Y͏o͏u guys ran into the perfect storm, crushing turnovers for ͏y͏o͏u and a shockingly good career record setting outing for the Hoos".

Reaction Score

Maybe Newsome should become the new Nick Williams.

BTW what a positive development this is (not negative). We have two stud freshman RB's challenging the SR. Mensah being an example of how this staff is killing it on the recruiting trail.

The future is bright!

Reaction Score
The problems on this team, like on most teams, begin and end at the QB. Obviously something happened to Pindell to have him go from the ordained #1 to never seeing the field, but I was an advocate for starting him vs UVA. The bright lights of opening night may have been overwhelming, but after two weeks of practice and introspection I start him and evaluate at the half. With his quicker release ( and UVA expecting him to run) who knows what we could have accomplished. The D would still be slow and surprisingly poor at tackling so the outcome may have been the same but, as a UVA fan told me, "our QB had a career day--last week all those long passes he completed against ͏y͏o͏u were overthrown/under thrown against Indiana" ͏Y͏o͏u guys ran into the perfect storm, crushing turnovers for ͏y͏o͏u and a shockingly good career record setting outing for the Hoos".

From my point of view Shirreffs is a better runner than Pindell. Pindell didn't show the speed we expected week 1 and Shirreffs runs tougher. I would stay with Shirreffs because moving the ball was not a problem yesterday. As many have said the defense needs to get better and it will.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It amazes me how little some of you know about football. You watch it, but you don't actually watch it. The OL is GOD AWFUL at run blocking. Watch the game!!! They don't gain leverage. They don't drive their feet. The get ZERO push. They create very few running lanes. They stand up like they're pass blocking. The DL punches them in the chest and they stumble into the backfield or over each other. If there's a blitz, forget it. It's all there. Just watch the game. Hopkins had a great first game, bouncing plays outside. Mensah could be something. Newsome has been very slow to start the season running, but he is our biggest weapon because of his ability to run/catch the ball. I won't even touch Thompson, because he took an absolute beating yesterday on blitz pickup. Watch the game!!! Listen to the game!!! How many times did they mention the OL's inability to win in the trenches? Until the 4Q (garbage time) when Hopkins and Mensah had their longest runs, BS was our running game. Why??? UVa All American safety, Quin Blanding, said their scouting report said #5 (Pindell) was the runner and #4 was the pocket passer. They weren't worried about BS running. They were going to disguise their pressure, make him uncomfortable in the pocket, and make him run. This wasn't Holy Cross. The running backs had nowhere to run, BY DESIGN. UVa and every other team we play is going to do the same thing. Make BS beat them with his arm!!! Until the OL can get some push, get use to numbers like these:

Watch the career. He is an undersized running back whose main strength is the ability to make people miss when he gets an opening but he isn't going to break away and he isn't going to run over people. He is McCoombs with better hands and less power.

Reaction Score
Watch the career. He is an undersized running back whose main strength is the ability to make people miss when he gets an opening but he isn't going to break away and he isn't going to run over people. He is McCoombs with better hands and less power.
McCombs went down on first contact almost 100% of the time. AN is definitely a stronger runner than LM.

Reaction Score
Should Mensah start over Hopkins/Newsome???
No. The offensive line needs to pick it up a few notches. Newsome didn't forget how to run. The opposition keys on you every time you line up behind the QB and your line won't open up holes then you can't expect a lot. If those two goal line snafus were instead TD's that game should have been different. The defense wouldn't have felt behind the eight ball. Confidence always trumps hesitation. And... the trick plays at the end, why weren't they tried earlier? Maybe a little hesitation on the coaching staff? I know it's only two games into a new regime so sure, still a lot of growing/learning pains but they can'y lay an egg like that next Sunday vs ECU. Got to tighten it up lads.

Reaction Score
.....Who's played behind a piss poor offensive line. WATCH THE DAMN GAME!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom