Should Mensah start over Hopkins/Newsome??? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Should Mensah start over Hopkins/Newsome???

Reaction Score
Let's put Newsome "in space" and put me all alone in the end zone and throw a nice soft pass to me. I might succeed. The game is pretty easy when you have space to roam. That's the objective of every play and much easier said than done.

Reaction Score
We all agree the line is poor. But we could pick a fan out of the crowd and gain 1 yard or 16 yards. I get it. You're a Valley guy. He doesn't suck but he isn't anything special either. Too small and lacks speed. Todman Brown were great college backs. Dixon McCoombs Brockinton were a level down. That is where Newsome fits. Put him behind our better lines and he still doesn't make the top
cut.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Somehow the hot takes on this board are worse than they were last year. It's been two games in two brand new systems and all of a sudden our best RB isn't a RB anymore, Tempo is a failure, the defensive scheme is an "FCS scheme" etc. etc.

If anything I'm embarrassed that these people are UConn football fans. My mom and sister are more knowledgeable than these guys, and to quote Chief, they are "casual fans"

There it is again, "our best RB"

WE WERE 128TH IN THE NCAA LAST YEAR!!!....in case you don't know, that is LITERALLY dead last in FBS

We don't have a good RB...period

Reaction Score

WE WERE 128TH IN THE NCAA LAST YEAR!!!....in case you don't know, that is LITERALLY dead last in FBS

I'm not sure how good Reggie Bush would look behind our line. Unfortunately that's one of the hardest things to fix

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

The man went for 715 yards on the ground last year (with an additional 273 from the air) and averaged 4.9 yards per carry. The year before, he ran for 788 yards (4.3 ypc) and an additional 465 from the air. He just passed Donald Brown for 4th all time all purpose yards. And he did it behind some of the statistically worst OLines in our FBS history.

And yet you feel you can make the statement that "We don't have a good RB... period."???

I don't think you know what the meaning of the word "period" is... :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
it's not his fault we have some of the least informed football fans in the country

None of us have enough information to say whether Hopkins or Mensah or whomever should start but the notion that Newsome is some untouchable golden boy who can't be benched is ludicrous. You guys overrate him big time because of his CT roots or something. The OP is either a family member of Newsome or his biggest fanboy. Based on Edsall's comments he may agree more with freescooter than you.

And I can guarantee you that I know more about football than you do.

Reaction Score
None of us have enough information to say whether Hopkins or Mensah or whomever should start but the notion that Newsome is some untouchable golden boy who can't be benched is ludicrous. You guys overrate him big time because of his CT roots or something. The OP is either a family member of Newsome or his biggest fanboy. Based on Edsall's comments he may agree more with freescooter than you.

I've never claimed he's untouchable. If someone outplays him then they should get more snaps. But the notion that just changing the RB is going to fix any of our problems running the ball is ludicrous. The problems are much deeper than that. I've also never claimed to be any sort of expert, but compared to some of the posts on the board over the last couple days I might as well be Bill Belichick. I've been around football for almost 20 years in multiple capacities, so question my opinions all you'd like but there is substance behind it.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The offensive line needs to stay with their blocks better, that is a fact.
I like Newsome, but with this line, he is better out in space than inline.

Reaction Score
The offensive line needs to stay with their blocks better, that is a fact.
I like Newsome, but with this line, he is better out in space than inline.
they also need to read the defense better. we're doubling guys and letting the blitzing linebacker go free. that's why the backs are getting hit before the LOS

Reaction Score
I've never claimed he's untouchable. If someone outplays him then they should get more snaps. But the notion that just changing the RB is going to fix any of our problems running the ball is ludicrous. The problems are much deeper than that. I've also never claimed to be any sort of expert, but compared to some of the posts on the board over the last couple days I might as well be Bill Belichick. I've been around football for almost 20 years in multiple capacities, so question my opinions all you'd like but there is substance behind it.

Backtrack some more. OP posed a question that frankly I didn't think was crazy. You mocked those who took it seriously as uninformed mouth breathers who don't know a pigskin from a skin flick. Now that Edsall apparently is considering this you want to change the narrative and attribute things to posters they never said.

Try and be more wrong. You can't.

Reaction Score
Backtrack some more. OP posed a question that frankly I didn't think was crazy. You mocked those who took it seriously as uninformed mouth breathers who don't know a pigskin from a skin flick. Now that Edsall apparently is considering this you want to change the narrative and attribute things to posters they never said.

Try and be more wrong. You can't.

I mocked people for taking it seriously because it's pretty clear that anyone who reads this board should know kris' opinions. I also think it's stupid because Newsome is a proven back and Mensa played mostly in garbage time. Call it a backtrack all you'd like but I'm not even a Newsome fanboy. What I do find funny is that before game 1 some of the people calling for his head now and pulling a Palatine by calling for the backups were singing praises in the off-season and last season

Reaction Score
Newsome's been our best offensive player the last 2 years (behind a horrific OL), but yeah, let's bash him after 2 unproductive games in a new system.
IMO the new system should be one that accentuates his talents not makes him regress. I thought Lashlee would bring in a system that spreads you out some and allows a back like Newsome to find a lot of space. Hopkins had a great week one. Hopkins and Mensah were solid yesterday. Newsome has yet to really find his niche in the new system.

Reaction Score
Does anyone think Arkeel would be successful if he was running behind a perennial top 20 team with an OL that wasn't abused by incompetent coaching?

I don't give a rats ass how many offers Arkeel had (Donald Brown's offer list, outside a VA and a few others, wasn't that big. )

Didn't Arkeel just pass Donald for all purpose yards? That has to mean something.

By the way. I don't know more about college football than anyone on the BY.

Reaction Score
Does anyone think Arkeel would be successful if he was running behind a perennial top 20 team with an OL that wasn't abused by incompetent coaching?

I don't give a rats ass how many offers Arkeel had (Donald Brown's offer list, outside a VA and a few others, wasn't that big. )

Didn't Arkeel just pass Donald for all purpose yards? That has to mean something.

By the way. I don't know more about college football than anyone on the BY.
I'm just going to put these here:

Donald Brown College Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Arkeel Newsome College Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Donald Brown was involved in the passing game very minimally. He also didn't return kicks like Arkeel did for 3 years. Brown had 9 returns total in his 3 years. Newsome had about 3 times the rec. yards that Brown did.

Reaction Score
I know it's a little bit gimmicky, but I'd like to see a little bit more of the wildcat with DW receiving the snap, BS out wide, and Arkeel in motion. There are a lot of possibilities there that the defense would have to account for.

Let's not and say we did. Ok? :cool:

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Please don't compare Arkeel to Donald Brown as a runner. And I like Arkeel.

Nobody in their right mind would compare the 2 as runners.

But in terms of value there is no need for anyone to say Arkeel is not a talented athlete.

If Arkeel ran behind the same OL as Donald did, I think Arkeel would be grouped on the same level as Todman and Dixon

Reaction Score
Nobody in their right mind would compare the 2 as runners.

But in terms of value there is no need for anyone to say Arkeel is not a talented athlete.

If Arkeel ran behind the same OL as Donald did, I think Arkeel would be grouped on the same level as Todman and Dixon

I like Arkeel and I completely disagree.

But I do feel like it is bizarre people are jumping off bandwagon after two games. His ineffectiveness is on Lashlee.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

You're ridiculous.

Name one person here who said that nobody should get reps besides Newsome. Seriously, name one. I'll wait.

The howling that is going on right now is to defend the fact that for 3+ years, the guy had been a very good player for us. Despite that, I'm seeing clowns here say that he's no good, or allude to the fact that he wouldn't play on any other team. Which is stupid, because it's not true.

And I can guarantee you that I know more about football than you do (of course nobody here can do that, but since you feel like making claims you can't back up, I'll follow suit)... :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
You're ridiculous.

Name one person here who said that nobody should get reps besides Newsome. Seriously, name one. I'll wait.

The howling that is going on right now is to defend the fact that for 3+ years, the guy had been a very good player for us. Despite that, I'm seeing clowns here say that he's no good, or allude to the fact that he wouldn't play on any other team. Which is stupid, because it's not true.

And I can guarantee you that I know more about football than you do (of course nobody here can do that, but since you feel like making claims you can't back up, I'll follow suit)... :rolleyes:

Dan, just stop. Pretty clear what the OP was saying.

WATCH THE DAMN GAME!!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom