• Yes

Votes: 65 39.9%
  • No

Votes: 78 47.9%
  • I don’t know

Votes: 20 12.3%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
So when does this "grow the game" bubble burst? Last night's game with the Sun was an example of too much media on one player. ESPN had the score, the Sun up 20 with Clark basically doing nothing, yet the only video highlights on the site were the two threes she made. Nothing else until after the game. Once the casual Clark fan gets bored and moves to another shiny thing, then the WNBA is in trouble. They do have to start promoting...heavily...all the current and past stars and their achievements. Plus, everyone forgets Pearl Monroe is still the leading scorer in college basketball history, she just predated the NCAA. Regardless, as everyone starts to realize that Clark's stats are pretty normal for the upper level players, and not as amazing as expected (there are lots of pretty amazing players in the W) then where does all the interest come from? Being left off the team is as it should be, she's not ready quite yet. I'm sure she will be, but not yet. Frankly, for her own interests, it's probably best that she isn't on the team...how would that International audience react if she throws a few turnovers away? Let her get a semblance of consistency, then all is good. But the media has to change the focus of who they want to highlight. There are some pretty special rookies heading into the league next year, also...

Reaction Score
Dream Team did this in '92 - the first year NBA players were allowed to participate in the Olympics. They had a roster that included Christian Lattner as the probable 12th roster spot. Lattner was a college All-American at the time. Promoting the future, I suspect.

Reaction Score
So when does this "grow the game" bubble burst? Last night's game with the Sun was an example of too much media on one player. ESPN had the score, the Sun up 20 with Clark basically doing nothing, yet the only video highlights on the site were the two threes she made. Nothing else until after the game. Once the casual Clark fan gets bored and moves to another shiny thing, then the WNBA is in trouble. They do have to start promoting...heavily...all the current and past stars and their achievements. Plus, everyone forgets Pearl Monroe is still the leading scorer in college basketball history, she just predated the NCAA. Regardless, as everyone starts to realize that Clark's stats are pretty normal for the upper level players, and not as amazing as expected (there are lots of pretty amazing players in the W) then where does all the interest come from? Being left off the team is as it should be, she's not ready quite yet. I'm sure she will be, but not yet. Frankly, for her own interests, it's probably best that she isn't on the team...how would that International audience react if she throws a few turnovers away? Let her get a semblance of consistency, then all is good. But the media has to change the focus of who they want to highlight. There are some pretty special rookies heading into the league next year, also...
This is where I’m at. Like at this point you aren’t growing the game you are growing one players profile at expense of the game.

Reaction Score
I look at first time 5x5 Olympians such as Copper, Plum, Young and Thomas who have all spent anywhere from 5-11 years in the WNBA grinding away for this opportunity. The tears of these players who wasn't sure if this day will ever come despite resumes and accolades that show they earned their spots. To take that away from these players for the sake of one player's popularity is slap in a a face to those who truly earned it.

And at this time I have yet to see Clark's popularity help elevate anyone else's popularity so far in the WNBA. So I'm not sure how her sitting on the end of the bench at Olympics will elevate any of the other players that some have claimed. What I have seen was Clark's fans attack her teammates and coach since the season started. I have also seen these new fans attack and talk down anyone who plays decent defense on her or happens to foul her.

So I'm glad she's not on the team. Having something to work towards is something that could really be motivating for her in the long run. The distraction and negativity that surrounds anything involving lately it isn't worth for Team USA. Also I hate that all of a sudden viewership is more important than merit at the Olympics of all places. The whole thing just feels hypocritical and this discussion would only happen with women's basketball. I haven't heard any cries for Tiger Woods to represent Team USA in golf or if it's really about viewership numbers then a 60 year old Michael Jordan playing with LeBron James and Steph Curry is what the men's team is missing then.

Reaction Score
who are the people on the right ?
Clockwise from upper-left: Augustus, Staley, Rizzotti, Donaphin, Milton-Jones.

“The team was selected by the USA Basketball Women’s National Team Committee and approved by the USA Basketball Board of Directors. In addition to Rizzotti, the committee includes Dawn Staley(University of South Carolina), Bethany Donaphin (WNBA) and Dan Padover (Atlanta Dream), as well as athlete representatives Seimone Augustus and DeLisha Milton-Jones.” USAB Announcement

Reaction Score
No she's not even close to what players like Stewie, and A'ja did in their first year in the WNBA. You can also add Parker, and Maya Moore who had much better first years.
Unless I've lost my bearings, Stewie, A'ja, Maya and Candace aren't rookies this year, which was the point of discussion.
So why are we looking only at her? Waaaaaaahhhhhhh! Boston should be on the team. She had great rookie stats - for a full, rather than part of, a year. She was an allstar selection and Rookie of the Year. Waaaaaaahhhhhhhhh! But that wasn't enough to beat out the chosen ones. Boston hasn't earned a spot despite an excellent first year,

I would not have had a problem if they had chosen Clark for financial reasons. "Grow the Game" is valid in my mind,

I also have no problem with her being excluded because she hasn't earned it. I just wish the new-to-the-game whiners would grow up. Clark will have the opportunity to EARN A SPOT in the future. You can't always get what you want - NOW.

I'd be with your, visitingcock, if this were last season, but Aliyah hasn't been as effective this season.

All this said, I'm not even advocating for Caitlin being on the team. I just was responding to GoUConn7961's statement that Clark isn't even the best rookie statistically...

Enough on this one.

Reaction Score
Well, I'm no expert like you seem to be but according to ESPN:

"
The metrics don’t love Caitlin Clark.

Clark, the No. 1 pick in the 2024 WNBA Draft, is stunningly No. 6 in ESPN’s ranking of rookies based on a variety of advanced statistics.

The former Iowa star falls behind, in order: Cameron Brink (No. 2 pick), Angel Reese (No. 7), former Iowa teammate Kate Martin (No. 18), Rickea Jackson (No. 4) and Julie Vanloo (international signing).

Clark leads WNBA rookies with 15.6 points per game entering Friday, more than four points ahead of the second-highest scorer in Reese, but ESPN’s models are dinging her for her mediocre shooting numbers and poor defense."
;)

Reaction Score
I love this response. And honestly, the person who should be all over the media is A'ja Wilson. I'm just tired of these women who have worked so hard to bring light on the W, and working to make successive Olympic teams being overshadowed by the media's obsession with CC. I haven't even seen one show say congratulations to the women who made the team! It's all about who was snubbed. WAAAAAAHHH is exactly right!!
Lol
They’ve worked so hard to bring light, and had limited success.
Then the tide that raises all boats —Caitlin Clark — comes along, and all anyone can do is complain.
Great, let’s go back to the way things were 2 years with less attendance, lower ratings, but you’ll get your wish: no Caitlin.

And no the media is not obsessed with CC. The public is. Look at the attendance. Look at the TV ratings.

Reaction Score
Lol
They’ve worked so hard to bring light, and had limited success.
Then the tide that raises all boats —Caitlin Clark — comes along, and all anyone can do is complain.
Great, let’s go back to the way things were 2 years with less attendance, lower ratings, but you’ll get your wish: no Caitlin.

And no the media is not obsessed with CC. The public is. Look at the attendance. Look at the TV ratings.
This take is so ignorant and short sighted. They’ve worked so hard and their success is what allowed Caitlin Clark to have a platform to become popular. WNBA and WCBB ratings and attendance was rising before CC entered the picture. She surely put napalm on the fire but without Clark WBB would still be on the rise, and honestly probably at a more sustainable rate that would be better for the long term health of the sport. We’ll see though.

Reaction Score
This take is so ignorant and short sighted. They’ve worked so hard and their success is what allowed Caitlin Clark to have a platform to become popular. WNBA and WCBB ratings and attendance was rising before CC entered the picture. She surely put napalm on the fire but without Clark WBB would still be on the rise, and honestly probably at a more sustainable rate that would be better for the long term health of the sport. We’ll see though.
@hoopsnloops32 , I never thought I’d agree with anything you posted, but I agree with this 100%. The NCAA (and refs in particular) did no one any favors by treating Caitlin Clark as a national treasure to be protected at all costs. I believe that she will be successful and probably a superstar over time. But that time isn’t now and is unfair to the legitimate superstars of the women’s game to act as though it is.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Something that I haven't seen being discussed at all: Why was Nneka Ogwumike (once again) snubbed? With her decade-plus record in the WNBA and her current performance when healthy, she is as deserving as Alyssa Thomas (and she is very deserving).

Reaction Score
Something that I haven't seen being discussed at all: Why was Nneka Ogwumike (once again) snubbed? With her decade-plus record in the WNBA and her current performance when healthy, she is as deserving as Alyssa Thomas (and she is very deserving).
There is a much larger history to Nneka and Team USA .....

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
And at this time I have yet to see Clark's popularity help elevate anyone else's popularity so far in the WNBA. So I'm not sure how her sitting on the end of the bench at Olympics will elevate any of the other players that some have claimed. What I have seen was Clark's fans attack her teammates and coach since the season started. I have also seen these new fans attack and talk down anyone who plays decent defense on her or happens to foul her.

Chartered flights, improved viewership, more social media followers leading to more money making opportunities. Plus a new negotiation of the CBA contract where players will likely get much larger salaries which is largely due to the viewership and attendance Clark (and others) are bringing to the league.

For whatever reason, Clark is super polarizing. The fact is that she's bringing unprecedented level of exposure to a sport that's long overdue and there is both good and bad that comes with it, but too many people only want to see the angle they support instead of looking at the big picture as a whole.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Chartered flights, improved viewership, more social media followers leading to more money making opportunities. Plus a new negotiation of the CBA contract where players will likely get much larger salaries which is largely due to the viewership and attendance Clark (and others) are bringing to the league.

For whatever reason, Clark is super polarizing. The fact is she's bringing unprecedented level of exposure to a sport that's long overdue and there is both good and bad that comes with it, but too many people only want to see the angle they support instead of looking at the big picture as a whole.
This 100% however, in my opinion, those who try to provide a balanced perspective like this are not being heard because their message is getting overpowered by the rest of the noise.

Reaction Score
After last time, she removed herself from USA Basketball. Even explored playing for Nigeria I believe.

Reaction Score

For whatever reason, Clark is super polarizing. The fact is that she's bringing unprecedented level of exposure to a sport that's long overdue and there is both good and bad that comes with it, but too many people only want to see the angle they support instead of looking at the big picture as a whole.
Yes all of these things have been on the rise and have been in process of happening for the last couple of years. Has CC amplified this yes, but all these things have already been in motion due to the rise of women's basketball the past few years.

I can't just ignore all the talking heads and hateful rhetoric that's been directed towards the players. We have politicians, TV show hosts, NBA players and more discrediting the work and efforts of the other 140+ players for the sake one player and her popularity. I get what the bigger picture is, but to fundamentally change everything about the league in favor of one player like many are asking isn't sustainable or a great way to grow the game.

I still haven't seen much goodwill this has spread to anyone outside of Clark so far. If by some misfortune she misses the rest of the season, I don't think the media at large has done a good job of marketing anyone else to sustain the growth of the CC fans. If anything they've villainized anyone else including her teammates which is why I don't share the same optimistic look that you have.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom