Should Boyle be our starting QB? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Should Boyle be our starting QB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Quite frankly, I disagree. I think there is coaching consensus Boyle is by far the most talented of the three. The question as Diaco would say when will his "intangibles" be ready? Throwing Boyle into the frying pan after Coach P got fired - switching coaches, having 8 or 9 drops his first game (USF), then playing the meat of the schedule UCF - made it difficult to evaluate Boyle last season from a fan's perspective.
This all reminds me of the incorrect reaction some had to Drummond's Freshman season when equally disruptive things happened in the environment. In my opinion that's not how you evaluate a player a year later when he becomes a Sophomore.
Play Casey if he is healthy but quickly figure that out and if he is not; go the Boyle route. One thing under the radar is Boyle runs very well but never got the green light to do so from Coach D & P because he wasn't the Wildcat QB and TJ did not change that direction in the quick transition. Running should be used infrequently but a couple ten yard runs and out of bounds plays a game and it changes the opponent's defensive game plan.

+1

C

Chief00

I did not think Coach P was the right man for the job but he knew football and evaluated hundreds of NFL playerd. After he got fired one thing he made sure he did was to say he was planning on starting Boyle. In his mind he did not want to go down on the record as not recognizing his talents.

Reaction Score
If we are fortunate enough to get a big lead today the walk on QB should be put in to get Chandler off the field.

Reaction Score
I think we all expect Whitmer to do good, if not great, against Stony Brook. Its the following week vs Boise State when I think the real evaluation will take place.
Whitmer performed as I expected.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Uh unless he's absolutely abysmal, I ready to see Boyle.

Reaction Score
The real world is that maybe he'll be a good quarterback, but we are suffering from 3 factors that apply to most struggling programs, well, 2. The third is a uniquely Connecticut phenomenon. First and foremost, we have backup syndrome, or the backup quarterback is always better than the guy ahead of him. That seems to apply in spades with Boyle. Second is forgetting what happened when he actually did play, you know that 44% completion, worst in the nation rating thing. finally, the Connecticut specific matter. He is a local kid so obvioulsy he should be starting...everything from winning games to selling out the stadium will happen if only Diaco would get that he is a local kid. If we know nothing else about Diaco we know that he is not the type to say bad things about his players. Even when its deserved he tries to put a positive spin mostly. So he isn't going to say it, but Boyle didn't beat out Cochran for the starting job and he didn't beat out Whitmer for the backup job. He "is still young." He is "still learning" He is still "growing as a leader" all that is Diaco-speak for he isn't as good as the other two guys. And unlike Pasqualoni who was desperate to keep his job or Weist who wanted to be named head coach, Diaco doesn't have to make the change out of desperation. He's here and he ain't going anywhere for a while. He can actually do what he thinks is best for the team and the long term development of the program. So barring injury, don't expect to see Boyle any time soon.

Reaction Score
Well, we are one hit away from him being the starter with no back up on the roster. Gulp!

Reaction Score
No QB is going to look good without blocking. That said if we're looking to the future we need to think about TB taking over the team at some point this season. CW does little to advance our long-term goals.

Reaction Score
No QB is going to look good without blocking. That said if we're looking to the future we need to think about TB taking over the team at some point this season. CW does little to advance our long-term goals.

The line always looked better with CC making quick decisions and moving within the pocket. Boyle like Whitmer, had a tendency to drop back further when pressure came. It that can be coached, Whitemer hasn't exhibited it yet. Hope Boyle does.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Why shouldn't he? Whitmer showed on Saturday that he isn't the guy. I'm not sure Boyle is but clearly he's got a great shot to. Why wouldn't you give him experience all season long to grow and learn the offense? He's got a stud receiver this year so that can only help his confidence grow. The Oline is not good so he'll need to learn how to get the ball out quickly, something he didn't do last year.

I just feel that we've seen the CW show now for long enough to know we aren't going to win with him. Why not use the season to get Boyle experience and see what we truly have in him. I can't find a reason he shouldn't start. Enough with happy feet CW.

Reaction Score
Fran Tarkington looked great without blocking.

Reaction Score
I thought Boyle looked awful last season and just got worse the more he played.

Now being a freshman and playing some great teams obviously contributed to that, but aside from being a big kid, I didn't see the tools there that some people bring up with him.

Hopefully CW just plays well and CC gets healthy ( whether that ends with him on the field or a degree).

What did you think of Whitmer last year?

Reaction Score
We might give Andreas Knappe a go at QB. His footwork is much improved this year and he is hard to tackle.

Reaction Score
I'll say it again. Whitmer's best playing is ahead of him. He will be better vs Boise. Boyle (barring injury) will not see the field.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
What did you think of Whitmer last year?

I thought he was awful too.

However, as bad as he was, he was better than Boyle. Just look at the numbers.

At this point though, I say just start Boyle and see what you got.

Reaction Score
I thought he was awful too.

However, as bad as he was, he was better than Boyle. Just look at the numbers.

At this point though, I say just start Boyle and see what you got.
The last time we did that we got 41% completion rate, 8 ints and 2 offensive touchdowns, zero through the air, in 5 starts. While I get the "just start Boyle" idea, we know what Whitmer is and we keep hearing Boyle has "all the tools," I think you just have to accept that he might not in fact be that good. He clearly wasn't good enough to beat out Whitmer for the #2 spot. If the idea is to play him "to see what we have," I'm not sure that is all that valuable just yet. If we're 1-4 come the end of October, sure. But right now we still have a shot at winning a game or two along the way. USF is not a good football team nor is Temple. Probably better than we are, but I wouldn't bet the house on it.

Reaction Score
I say let Boyle try to keep the redshirt if possible, learn the playbook, etc. That extra year of development is huge. Next year let him go into the competition wide open and see if he earns it. If we need him, play him, but don't burn the RS if you don't have to, especially if you think he has a lot of development left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom