Should Boyle be our starting QB? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Should Boyle be our starting QB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Here's what I think Pal wants someone to say: Whitmer is so bad we should throw Boyle in there and hope for a miracle.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Blake Feagles - he has the pocket pressence and the feet - you see him on that fake FG?!

:)
Oh Jeezus. I want to forget that play ever happened (Much like Whitmer's one play at WR when he got crushed, recovering from a concussion himself). I was well on my way too. Thanks, Bonehead. Back to therapy for the The 25...

Reaction Score
The entire offense was a train wreck the past 3 years. I think Whitmer unfairly gets the blame for that. I think he can and will play much better than he did last year.

Boyle jumped from #3 to #1 on the depth chart last year, that didn't work out so well for us. If he has to play, he plays. We saw absolutely nothing from him to make the argument he should start because he can win more games for us this year than Whitmer can.

Reaction Score
For this game at least, I expect us to be much more run oriented. If CC is out for an extended time, that may be our offense for the balance of the year.

Has it happened in recent memory where a team lost all available scholarship quarterbacks?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I personally believe that our coaching staff has a comprehensive plan on how to build the program and one small part of that plan is to get through this season without burning Boyle's redshirt (which is a factor in the two QB rotation we saw against BYU). If we can pull this off (and bring in a QB each recruiting class) we will have more than suficient talent and depth at this vital position from day one 2015 forward.

I also personally believe that building a sustainable program for many years (which will require having sufficient talent and depth, especially at QB) is more important than the (at best) one, maybe two games where we might be materially better by burning Boyle's redshirt.

Reaction Score
Establishing a good running game is critical to whoever plays qb. I think Chandler can be successful with a run orientd offense, 85% run 15% pass.

Reaction Score
I'm at a loss that people are even discussing this. So a few points.

1. The staff just found out about the concussion, and are probably angry they didn't learn earlier. I doubt they are even thinking about the medical prognosis when they learn on a Thursday. They're just thinking about the game plan for Stony Brook. So no decision that Casey won't, or might not, play again will even creep into their thoughts until Saturday night.

2. From what we saw on the field last year -- and we saw each QB for four games -- Boyle was no where near either of them. From what we heard out of camp, no one was saying Boyle was #1, or even #2, but we wanted to preserve the redshirt anyway. I have no reason to think Boyle gives us a better chance to get to 6-6 this year than Whitmer does.

3. You don't burn the redshirt today. You see how Whitmer performs, you see what Casey's prognosis is, and then you make a decision week to week as to whether Boyle is now the #2 for the season and, if so, is he just an emergency if Whitmer is out too or can he help the team.

Obviously, if Whitmer gets hurt as well than Boyle plays. And you don't worry about the 2017 season.

I took the OP's question as should Boyle be the starter...not should Boyle be the starter on Saturday.

If it turns out that Cochran is in fact done, what is the benefit of keeping Whitmer as the starter for the remainder of the year? During spring and summer practice we were told that there was no clear cut leader. That included Boyle, so I take that to mean any one of them could have been chosen to start. If they were all even it made complete sense to redshirt Boyle and role with the top producer from last season and the Senior.

Again, if they were all even as we were told, how does going with Whitmer benefit the program long-term? I mean that is the plan that we're being sold on isn't it? The long-term building process. If Cochran is done, the obvious choice is Boyle.

We've already seen what Whitmer can do...and it aint pretty. I'll take 4 wins with Boyle over 6 wins with Whitmer if it means 7 to 8 wins in 2015.

Last edited:

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Establishing a good running game is critical to whoever plays qb. I think Chandler can be successful with a run orientd offense, 85% run 15% pass.

Wait a minute!! That was our offense when my favorite UConn FB coach was here and it got bashed constantly!

Seriously - I dont think Chandler has been given the best opportunities to be successful while at UConn. I am not saying he is great but he was put under the care of Dumb and Dumber (Sorry Weyo) and was expected to succeed. Casey got the benefit last year of NOT having to work in games with those two bafoons - by then those guys were gone for a month, TJ was changing culture among other things, and Foley was back working with the line.

I say the percentage should be 65 - 35

Reaction Score
I honestly think Boyle is being redshirted not because the staff is in love with keeping the redshirt, but because he simply isn't at the level of the other 2 quarterbacks. I think that was pretty clear every time Diaco spoke of the qb situation. It was always "Casey does this, Whitmer does that and Boyle is still young." In coach speak, still young=not ready. Disregarding all the happy talk and excuses about who he played against, he was awful last year. Not only did he not throw td passes, but in his 4 starts UConn scored 2 offensive tocuhdowns while he was in the game and 1 of those was a 65 yard run. I can't imagine that he has improved enough over the summer to make it worth using him now.

Reaction Score
No. He's not the best QB available. This program can't afford tanking another season so early. That should go for everyone on the field.

If BD what's to run guys against a team he thinks is much better than his to see who has game, I'd rather see that figured out in the spring, but OK. You aren't learning anything against Stony Brook. Win the damn game by enough so you can play the bench late. This isn't complicated.
The problem is if you are winning big you really can't start substituting freely on the OL since you still have to keep CW in the game and upright. No one else to fall back on except maybe the aforementioned walk on. We just have to keep our fingers crossed and hope the young Running backs go crazy.

Reaction Score
I took the OP's question as should Boyle be the starter...not should Boyle be the starter on Saturday.

If it turns out that Cochran is in fact done, what is the benefit of keeping Whitmer as the starter for the remainder of the year? During spring and summer practice we were told that there was no clear cut leader. That included Boyle, so I take that to mean any one of them could have been chosen to start. If they were all even it made complete sense to redshirt Boyle and role with the top producer from last season and the Senior.

Again, if they were all even as we were told, how does going with Whitmer benefit the program long-term? I mean that is the plan that we're being sold on isn't it? The long-term building process. If Cochran is done, the obvious choice is Boyle.

We've already seen what Whitmer can do...and it aint pretty. I'll take 4 wins with Boyle over 6 wins with Whitmer if it means 7 to 8 wins in 2015.

Redshirting Boyle is best for him and the program long term. 6 wins would mean a bowl game, which would give the team another 5 weeks of practice and an extra game, which is best for the program long term.

If the coaches believe Whitmer can get us to 6 wins and a bowl game, it would be irresponsible not to play him. The extra 4-5 weeks of preparation for a bowl game is a huge advantage due to the restrictions on coach's time with the players.

If Boyle plays I'll trust the coaches. But I don't see how anyone could see this as an "obvious" choice.

Next year we will have the transfer (Shirrefs?) challenging for playing time, we can't assume Boyle is the starter next year and we don' t know if Cochran is done. The only place he's been "unofficially" retired is the Boneyard.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
6 wins would mean a bowl game, which would give the team another 5 weeks of practice and an extra game, which is best for the program long term.

THIS!!

Extremely important.

Husky25

Reaction Score
The only place he's been "unofficially" retired is the Boneyard.

Split shot to Cochran going, "Um guys, I'm right here.":confused:

Reaction Score
Yes, Boyle should be our starter now by default only if staff truly believes Cochran is long term injury. Whitmer we know is not the answer and he is a Senior. Let Boyle get feet wet against a 1AA team and go from there. I know he was rough during his games last year but remember he came in and played during our toughest 4 game stretch when the O-line was at its worse. I remember the first game him making some great throws down the field for potential TD's only to have them dropped by receivers. Between the O-line getting him killed last year and the immediate lack of confidence because of the drops I believe really hurt him.

Reaction Score

Couldn't disagree more. We can't afford to sacrifice any more years at this point. Unless you know when the next realignment windown will be and when the "last" realignment window will be. If we win 6 with Whitmer and 4 with Boyle, you play whitmer and take your six. If Boyle is as good or better, my guess is we wouldn't have been redshirting him in the first place.

Reaction Score
Couldn't disagree more. We can't afford to sacrifice any more years at this point. Unless you know when the next realignment windown will be and when the "last" realignment window will be. If we win 6 with Whitmer and 4 with Boyle, you play whitmer and take your six. If Boyle is as good or better, my guess is we wouldn't have been redshirting him in the first place.

Since when did wins matter for realignment? Rutgers anyone? Maryland? Syracuse? Realignment is about TV markets, tradition and potential. We have 2 of the three. And besides, who's left? Cincinnati? UCF? USF?
My entire argument is based on CC's career being over. Who knows if that's true. But if it is over Boyle is probably going to end up playing this year regardless. So if we're going to burn his redshirt why not give him the most reps possible? Quite frankly I don't think Whitmer is good enough to get us to 6 wins. He's the master of indecisiveness in the pocket. Slow with his decisions, slow with his release and ultimately getting sacked....a lot!

Husky25

Reaction Score
Since when did wins matter for realignment? Rutgers anyone? Maryland? Syracuse? Realignment is about TV markets, tradition and potential. We have 2 of the three. And besides, who's left? Cincinnati? UCF? USF?
My entire argument is based on CC's career being over. Who knows if that's true. But if it is over Boyle is probably going to end up playing this year regardless. So if we're going to burn his redshirt why not give him the most reps possible? Quite frankly I don't think Whitmer is good enough to get us to 6 wins. He's the master of indecisiveness in the pocket. Slow with his decisions, slow with his release and ultimately getting sacked....a lot!
Wins = perception = value = re-alignment success.

Our reality is the perception of our conference targets. They think UConn is small time. They think UConn 2010 is the reason there is a playoff. They think UConn doesn't add value. Winning is the only cure for that disease.

No matter how poor of an option you think Whitmer is, surely he can beat an FCS school who could only muster 7 points vs. Bryant, no? Get through Stony Brook and They will reassess. until then stay calm and...

Reaction Score
Hell NO!!!

You see how CW performs and wait to see if CC comes back. Why burn his shirt now?

Bonehead

Reaction Score

I hope CC career isnt over and if he doesnt play this year I seriously hope CW gets the opportunity to prove you wrong!!

I believe he is good enough to get us 7 - first one is Saturday!

Reaction Score
Here's what I think Pal wants someone to say: Whitmer is so bad we should throw Boyle in there and hope for a miracle.

Congratulations on your ability to read minds. Burt why are you wasting time on the Boneyard if you can read minds, you should use that ability to make millions of dollars.

I am not even suggesting what you posted. Last year, Boyle came out played well and had two TD passes dropped in the first quarter. Once things started going downhill, he was unable to stop it. He also faced the toughest part of our schedule.

What many fail to mention is the reason that Boyle fell behind Whitmer and Cochrane this off season. He was injured in the spring and fall. Being injured hurt his ability to compete. Diaco has raved about his physical abilities. He is healthy now.

As I posted, I am merely raising the question. Diaco has made it clear the first three games are exhibition season. If you can't trust Casey ill come back healthy and whole, now is the time to find out about Tim.

Reaction Score

Oh stop. Are wins the only factor. Of course not. But let's quit comparing our wins to Syracuse's or Louisville's. When it comes to how we are judged on football, we are trying to overcome the reality and the perception of not having a history of big time football. More P-like seasons will not help.

Reaction Score
I just don't understand why anyone believes Whitmer is good enough based on what we've seen. If we go with him I really hope that I'm wrong and I will root for him, but I'm not optimistic. If we don't win 6 games with CW as the starter, redshirting Boyle will look like a huge mistake.

Reaction Score
Congratulations on your ability to read minds. Burt why are you wasting time on the Boneyard if you can read minds, you should use that ability to make millions of dollars.

I am not even suggesting what you posted. Last year, Boyle came out played well and had two TD passes dropped in the first quarter. Once things started going downhill, he was unable to stop it. He also faced the toughest part of our schedule.

What many fail to mention is the reason that Boyle fell behind Whitmer and Cochrane this off season. He was injured in the spring and fall. Being injured hurt his ability to compete. Diaco has raved about his physical abilities. He is healthy now.

As I posted, I am merely raising the question. Diaco has made it clear the first three games are exhibition season. If you can't trust Casey ill come back healthy and whole, now is the time to find out about Tim.
I like this just because your 2nd sentence repeated what I just said above.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I just don't understand why anyone believes Whitmer is good enough based on what we've seen. If we go with him I really hope that I'm wrong and I will root for him, but I'm not optimistic. If we don't win 6 games with CW as the starter, redshirting Boyle will look like a huge mistake.
Whitmer was not good enough under the status quo. The status quo has changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom