Should Boyle be our starting QB? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Should Boyle be our starting QB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Whitmer was not good enough under the status quo. The status quo has changed.
I saw much of the same from Whitmer in game 1 and that was enough for me to say move on.

Reaction Score
I can't believe this is going on.

No, Boyle shouldn't start, and if we're in the position against Stony Brook, where come the 4th quarter, a back breaking turnover can cost us the game, Chandler Whitmer is the least of this program's problems.

Again, silly question, and one that has been answered by others already, and the answer is: Don't f----king lose to Stony Brook.

Reaction Score
I can't believe this is going on.

No, Boyle shouldn't start, and if we're in the position against Stony Brook, where come the 4th quarter, a back breaking turnover can cost us the game, Chandler Whitmer is the least of this program's problems.

Again, silly question, and one that has been answered by others already, and the answer is: Don't f----king lose to Stony Brook.

This isn't just about Stony Brook Carl. Its about the remainder of the season. I don't see how Boyle could be any worse than Whitmer. If he is as good or better, which I think he is, why wouldn't we get him reps?

The real question should be, do you believe Whitmer is better than Boyle? That's what we're really talking about. My answer is that I don't.

Reaction Score
whats long term?
I would say more than half the season. We have seen enough of Whitmer and if Boyle is not the answer then let's find that out as well. If not, then Diaco can go with one of his own next year.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
The season. Or forever.

So if CC is out for 4-8 weeks you dont want Boyle to play but if CC is out for the year you want him to start. Do I have the right?

And you think Boyle is better than Whitmer based on? Last year? Summer camp?

Reaction Score
This isn't just about Stony Brook Carl. Its about the remainder of the season. I don't see how Boyle could be any worse than Whitmer. If he is as good or better, which I think he is, why wouldn't we get him reps?

The real question should be, do you believe Whitmer is better than Boyle? That's what we're really talking about. My answer is that I don't.

No, it's entirely about Stony Brook. For me, at least, maybe not for the program leadership right now. Disagree there. The remainder of the season? What does that mean? The season that hasn't started yet? Don't get me started. I rewatched the BYU game last night, finally start to finish. Nobody is telling me that we designed offensive and defensive game plans that were actually specific to BYU.

What I believe about who is a better player or not, right now is irrelevant. Whitmer was a better player than Boyle last season. Boyle did not look good. Whitmer has a turnover problem. Everythign else is there. It's unfortunately was a big problem. He hasn't demonstrated it one game so far this year. What matters is really, who the coaches think the best player is, and apparently they have not yet decided these kinds of things yet.

So really, the question isn't who I think is better, it's who should get the reps that were planned for Casey?, and who should get reps planned for Chandler?

And the answer to all this mess, once again - thanks Fishy - is "Don't f-----king lose to Stony Brook."

Bonehead

Reaction Score
I would say more than half the season. We have seen enough of Whitmer and if Boyle is not the answer then let's find that out as well. If not, then Diaco can go with one of his own next year.

I hear you - I just find it hard to believe Boyle is that good.
He was WAY BEHIND both QB's last year and now suddenly he is good enough to go from 3rd on the depth chart to 1st - but only if CC gets hurt - otherwise coaches would have him sit all year.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
I just don't understand why anyone believes Whitmer is good enough based on what we've seen.

Because Whitmer didn't play in a vacuum. I look at the fact he got worse while he's been our QB, and I blame two people. Those two people are gone, and I think he can get better. I don't blame him for the offense. I realize he has faults, but he also has some tools to build on. He's never gotten good protection. He's never had a reliable running game. And he's been asked to do some epically stupid things (lining up at WR) and he's done all of it, and has handled himself with dignity and respect. I think with this schedule and a better ground game, he can get us to 6 wins.

Burning a redshirt isn't building long term, it's playing for today. If we're going to build long term, we should redshirt Boyle, not play him. Boyle will be a better 5th year senior than true sophomore.

Reaction Score
Because Whitmer didn't play in a vacuum. I look at the fact he got worse while he's been our QB, and I blame two people. Those two people are gone, and I think he can get better. I don't blame him for the offense. I realize he has faults, but he also has some tools to build on. He's never gotten good protection. He's never had a reliable running game. And he's been asked to do some epically stupid things (lining up at WR) and he's done all of it, and has handled himself with dignity and respect. I think with this schedule and a better ground game, he can get us to 6 wins.

Burning a redshirt isn't building long term, it's playing for today. If we're going to build long term, we should redshirt Boyle, not play him. Boyle will be a better 5th year senior than true sophomore.
And is playing Whitmer building for the long term? He is a Senior.
Ok, let's say CC is done due to concussions. We play Whitmer the rest of the year and he maybe gets us 6 wins and that's a big maybe. Then what for next year. We go into a season with no QB with any experience and go through growing pains all over again. I saw as many positives from Boyle last season as I did Whitmer. Whitmer is damaged goods and we saw that against BYU as he did not stand in the pocket and immediately started running for his life. Who cares about the redshirt right now. What if Boyle was RS last year, would you then be in agreement that Boyle should get the nod?

Bonehead

Reaction Score
There is a fine line staying in that pocket - if Casey had some mobility he might not be shelved at this point.

IF Boyle sits he still has 4 games experience from last year and I believe Sheriffs has some minimal experience as well. So there is some experience there.

If Chandler gives us 6 wins and a bowl game that is awesome - it gives the 5 extra weeks of practice towards bowl game. If Boyle plays and is still not ready that could kill his confidence even more moving forward. If we can get to a bowl and get the extra practices then it is future building in my eyes.

Again - I dont know whats the right call - I am not a scout or football coach - im just a poster.

Reaction Score
And is playing Whitmer building for the long term? He is a Senior.
Ok, let's say CC is done due to concussions. We play Whitmer the rest of the year and he maybe gets us 6 wins and that's a big maybe. Then what for next year. We go into a season with no QB with any experience and go through growing pains all over again. I saw as many positives from Boyle last season as I did Whitmer. Whitmer is damaged goods and we saw that against BYU as he did not stand in the pocket and immediately started running for his life. Who cares about the redshirt right now. What if Boyle was RS last year, would you then be in agreement that Boyle should get the nod?

Redshirting Boyle is building for the long term, so yes, playing Whitmer is building for the long term.

No, we'd go into the season with Boyle, who played as a true freshman (experience) and then redshirted. And Bryant Shirreffs who saw time (experience) at NC State before transferring and sitting this year. Then we'd have Tyler Davis as third string hopefully redshirting.

Again, Whitmer had to run for his life for the last 2 years, those habits are hard to break. Especially down 2-3 touchdowns, and facing a talented D-Line that knows you have to pass and is rushing the QB.

You can't make these two statements and believe that you're being consistent.... "And is playing Whitmer building for the long term? He is a Senior.... ...Who cares about the redshirt right now." If you don't care about the redshirt, you are more concerned with this year than the future, which is fine, but be consistent.

I'm not going to debate what-ifs about Boyle not playing last year. I know what I saw from Boyle and it wasn't impressive. It wasn't even close enough for me to think we should burn his redshirt and sit Whitmer. If I saw enough from Boyle to say he was the difference between us going to a bowl game and not going to one, I'd agree to play him. I don't see him getting us there, and I think burning another redshirt year for him is a waste. We can win 6 games with Whitmer.

Reaction Score
Couldn't disagree more. We can't afford to sacrifice any more years at this point. Unless you know when the next realignment windown will be and when the "last" realignment window will be. If we win 6 with Whitmer and 4 with Boyle, you play whitmer and take your six. If Boyle is as good or better, my guess is we wouldn't have been redshirting him in the first place.

To underscore BL's point, didn't anyone notice how enthusiastic/relieved Boyle was during the presser when HCBD announced he was going to be redshirted this year?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
This thread. I mean....this thread!!!

Whitmer is better than Boyle currently. We also need to create an extra year separation between Boyle and Cochran (likely), if we believe that Boyle is the future...which I do. The fact that we are on page 3 of this thread is mind-boggling to me, but hey, anything's possible on the Boneyard...

Reaction Score
This thread. I mean....this thread!!!

Whitmer is better than Boyle currently. We also need to create an extra year separation between Boyle and Cochran (likely), if we believe that Boyle is the future...which I do. The fact that we are on page 3 of this thread is mind-boggling to me, but hey, anything's possible on the Boneyard...

It's still preseason. We've got time to get our $#!7 together.

Reaction Score
I don't know either. I guess I'm just one of those who believes you get better by playing and that redshirting and sitting a year and then stepping in next year won't make him a better player because he sat and watched.

Reaction Score
I don't know either. I guess I'm just one of those who believes you get better by playing

That's a possibility, but here's what Boyle said.

It will be huge for me and my game,” Boyle said. “I have learned this past camp and spring that getting mental reps is a huge part of development as a football player. Seeing things in practice on the sidelines… will help prepare mentally. I am getting ready to play games this year. It’s not like I will be taking taking a year off…I am going to be ready to go. “

http://snyuconn.com/uconn/football/creating-separation-in-qb-depth/

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The Plan is to redshirt Boyle. Redshirts are not assigned until after the season. If circumstances change, so does the thought process of keeping Boyle's redshirt intact.

I saw much of the same from Whitmer in game 1 and that was enough for me to say move on.
We just saw Whitmer against BYU. He was awful.

Vs. BYU a top 30 program (or thereabouts).
Stony Brook is a different kettle of fish.

My whole premise about not having a problem with the FG in the 4th quarter is because the chances of Whitmer converting a 4th & 12 were as slim to none.

I think Cochran is a better choice than Whitmer at this point and that every week is a new opportunity; A new step. And by status quo, I was referring to a former staff. The one under which Whitmer was not allowed to develop.

Reaction Score
I don't know either. I guess I'm just one of those who believes you get better by playing and that redshirting and sitting a year and then stepping in next year won't make him a better player because he sat and watched.

Especially with all the BYU talk last week about missions and physically older players being at an advantage I believe it helps Boyle to keep the redshirt. The coaches have already made that choice so let's go for that for now. Each game brings a better more experienced offensive line we hope so go with Chandler and run the ball as much as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom