Should Azzi Start over Caroline? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Should Azzi Start over Caroline?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I do think this is a fair question.

I like some of the things Geno said in the postgame press conference regarding this. I like how he said Evina wants to be that player.. That steadying force that can be relied on off the bench. He also mentioned how someone like Paige really isn't trying to put up a lot of shots when she gets back. I also think the chemistry you see on the bench is real and that each player will roll with whatever Geno decides.

But against the best teams, Geno will have to play the right lineups and give the right people minutes. He has some tough decisions. I think Nika and the two bigs are sort of key to their defense and rebounding. I think it would be hard to bench CW, a senior in her final season.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
When Paige is back Geno can, if he chooses, full court press the entire game. We have five, count 'em, five quality guards!

Reaction Score
I see Caroline as more of a 3. Having said that, lets give who starts and who sits a rest. There are no completely right, or completely wrong opinions here, so what's the point? BY opinions don't matter. Only Geno's opinion matters (or CD's if Geno orders more calamari in Omaha).

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I don't think it matters who starts. And within their group it probably means nothing to them. The important thing is we have ALL our players available and moving in and out of the game so they can play a more aggressive defense.

Reaction Score
Sorry, but what a load of crap! Caroline stepping up when needed is what saved our season from falling into the crapper due to all the injuries. She is clever at scoring in many different ways, and her size gives her the advantages that Azzi can't enjoy. Are you a Martian by any chance?

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Sorry, but what a load of crap! Caroline stepping up when needed is what saved our season from falling into the crapper due to all the injuries. She is clever at scoring in many different ways, and her size gives her the advantages that Azzi can't enjoy. Are you a Martian by any chance?
Hey! No Martian bashing here! ;)

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Start both of them.....until they don't deserve it any more!

PvP

Reaction Score
This is frankly an absurd question! Caroline has proven herself as a player Geno knows will elevate to the moment. Azzi is a great talent and had a great game against DePaul but with the game on the line, he knew Charmer had to be the one with the ball.

But to me the question should have been should Azzi start over Christyn? CW has shown all her career at Storrs that, like today, you just never know when she will inexplicitedly disappear. I love her but she just isn't reliable.

Azzi and Caroline need to be the core of the offense (and both are plus defensively as well) together with Paige from here on for years to come.

Reaction Score
Seeing as they don't play the same position, I don't see how this is a relevant question? In my eyes, Caroline took Evina's starting role at the 3. Maybe Azzi will take CWs starting role at the 2.

But no matter who starts, I'd guess both Caroline and Azzi will be on the court in crunch time.
I don't see Geno benching CW. She's a senior and has saved a game or two in her career. Azzi has plenty of time.

Reaction Score
When Paige is back, and healthy, Nika will not start, Caroline or Azzi will, if she continues to excel, and Christyn along with Dorka and Liv.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
i don't mind who will start,BUT who are in well fighting position then makes more PT

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'd love to see Azzi and CD start. I think we see that next year (Paige, Azzi, Caroline, Aaliyah, Dorka - MAYBE)...

But right now, CD is the starter. Here's a thought - when Paige gets back - start Paige, Azzi, Christyn, Caroline, and ONO. Then off the bench you have Evina, Nika, Dorka, and Aaliyah (along with Amari and Piath).

I'm not sure who "deserves", who is better suited, etc., but I think against most teams that could be a really fun lineup to get us off to a quick start, and then use lots of substitutions as we full court press a lot more. And maybe over the next few games, Aaliyah will remind us all of how great she was at the end of last season. Maybe she continues to start.

But as many said, MAN are we gonna be scary good if we can put it all together come March.

Having said that, I do expect more ups and downs the rest of the season. We have to allow for the freshman wall, bringing Paige back slowly, players having bad games, etc. I know we all hope for consistency and incremental improvements, but these ladies are humans, not machines. Still, I'm very encouraged...

Reaction Score
"Harmony in the house", .... It's the Ws in the win column that
count,.... not who starts. My guess is that Geno will "rotate"
his " starters" based on the opponent ... and will bring in who he
wishes at the right moment to Make Things Happen! Nika accepts her role as
Paige's backup when Paige is "ready" to start. Evina, in
the Tenn. post game "presser", said she is not concerned
about being the '6th' player, and Dorka and Aaliyah know
that they will play and contribute. My hunch is that the
"usual" crew starts: Paige, CW, ONO, ( with Dorka or
Aaliyah, if the opposition calls for the" tall team" ) and some combination of Evina,
Azzi, and Caroline rotating in and out for other teams. Nika subs for
Paige, as mentioned above .... and lets have no one get injuried or hurt!
GO TEAM!, It takes a village, not a starting lineup. Z

Reaction Score
Wondering if Azzi should start over Caroline Its obvious that Azzi is the teams best three point shooter and the more minutes she plays the more opportunities she'll get shooting 3's. It seems when she comes off the bench it takes her awhile to get into the flow of the game, especially on defense. Azzi did miss a lot of shots today, but made up for it by making 7 of 9 three point shots. Today besides scoring 25 points, was Azzi's best game on defense. It seems if Geno wanted to start both Caroline and Azzi then Christyn Williams probably goes to the bench. IMO Nika is needed in the starting lineup as she does a good job running the offense and gets UConn into their transition game. Geno likes starting two post players and I would not sit one of them.

Would you start Azzi over Carolina or do you have a lineup where both would start?
STOP, for god's sake just stop !!!!!!

Reaction Score
Other than Evina, who does Geno think will do the best job coming off the bench? I'm sure somebody will ask him that question soon enough.........not sure he'll answer with anything but "we'll find out."..........

Reaction Score
The real question should be Azzi or Christyn. Caroline is the closest to a natural 3 we have and has earned her starting role over Evina. Both of those are better overall players than Nika, but we have to have a point guard in the starting lineup and that means Nika until Paige returns.

When everyone is back you have two point guards (Paige and Nika), two shooting guards (Christyn and Azzi) and two small forwards (Caroline and Evina). Yes many can play other positions, but certain combinations are not good such as Nika, Christyn and Evina because Nika doesn't have a great shooter to pass to and of course she is not a big shooter/scorer herself. Nika can play with Paige as demonstrated last year with Paige largely playing off the ball, and Evina can play 4 positions so there are a number of combos that could be good, but we have three great shooters among the guards (Azzi, Paige and Caroline) and three so so ones (Christyn, Evina and Nika).

I think most of the time we need two out of three from the first group on the floor, at a minimum should have one, and should almost never team the three from the second group.

Reaction Score
Wondering if Azzi should start over Caroline Its obvious that Azzi is the teams best three point shooter and the more minutes she plays the more opportunities she'll get shooting 3's. It seems when she comes off the bench it takes her awhile to get into the flow of the game, especially on defense. Azzi did miss a lot of shots today, but made up for it by making 7 of 9 three point shots. Today besides scoring 25 points, was Azzi's best game on defense. It seems if Geno wanted to start both Caroline and Azzi then Christyn Williams probably goes to the bench. IMO Nika is needed in the starting lineup as she does a good job running the offense and gets UConn into their transition game. Geno likes starting two post players and I would not sit one of them.

Would you start Azzi over Carolina or do you have a lineup where both would start?
Azzi, if she's healthy, starts, Evina first off the bench, but Caroline and Fudd have earned their chance.

Reaction Score
Not this mess again. I figure it is whoever Coach wants to start. Then whoever comes in on the 2nd unit, their goal should be to come in and dominant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom