Shonn Miller | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Shonn Miller

Status
Not open for further replies.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
MuchoDogYears said:
Yes. Yes we do. We want a PF who will stretch defenses, the same as Deandre Daniels did. If DD had only played inside we don't win a NC. Do we want a one dimensional PF or multi dimensional? It's really not even a question. If Shonn can hit the 3 then take it and take it every chance he gets. Period.

That's one way KO really differentiated from JC.
KO wants stretch 4s who can shoot . JC would hook any 4 who took a 3 immediately. There were a couple exceptions but you can count them on 2 fingers.

Reaction Score
Its so amazing how an off the cuff comment turns into a full fledged feud between a number of posters here...

The kid can shoot a 3, that doesn't mean that Ollie is going to structure the offense around finding 3s for Miller to shoot, it just means he has it in the back pocket. Teams are not going to cover him tight at the 3, or at all if he never takes any. I think he will take 1-3 a game when wide open or at least open enough to catch in rhythm and feel comfortable, and that isn't a bad thing if he isn't shooting over 40%.

Everyone needs to stop assuming that him taking 3's means that were calling plays to get him open for a curl on a 3 in the corner. In a half court set there will be countless times when the ball is swung to him at the 3 point line and he is wide open, he seems to be a good enough shooter that he will take those opportunities. If he doesn't hit one in his first 20 tries, I bet we wont see him shoot them, but if he does hit them, they will continue to happen, and its a good thing to diversify our offense

Reaction Score
It's that some seem to be ignoring his prior history of not being a good outside shooter and are betting that he'll suddenly improve after just a month with KO.

I don't see that happening at all, I see myself and others saying "if" he can hit them at a reasonable clip then he should be encouraged to take them. Nobody is asking this dude to take contested 3s, like he had to do alot of at Cornell.

Reaction Score
I don't see that happening at all, I see myself and others saying "if" he can hit them at a reasonable clip then he should be encouraged to take them.

29-30% from a 4 isn't great but it makes them think enough so that's fine. With more scorers chances are he improves that and even at 35% that's a nice thing to have him step out and take another rebounder away or a good defender from the middle .

Reaction Score
It's that some seem to be ignoring his prior history of not being a good outside shooter and are betting that he'll suddenly improve after just a month with KO.
I see it differently. I think you put your board police badge on and decided to start arguing with comments that weren't even made while pretending like he hasn't been on campus for months. He shoots about 3-4 threes a game. If he used to average 1-4 from three each game, he only needs to average 1 more make every two games to get up to 37% (3-8). We shouldn't consider it a given, but it isn't impossible.

Reaction Score

It seems like you're ignoring Daniels' and Giffey's prior history of not being good outside shooters until that season. I don't think Miller is suddenly going to become a 40+% guy from three, but when you never ask a player to create his own shot, he misses a lot less often.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
It seems like you're ignoring Daniels' and Giffey's prior history of not being good outside shooters until that season. I don't think Miller is suddenly going to become a 40+% guy from three, but when you never ask a player to create his own shot, he misses a lot less often.

That's valid, and I suppose I have homework to do in terms of comparing the specifics of his prior numbers with those of D and Giff. My bad.

Reaction Score
Miller wasn't really "creating his own shot" when he shot threes, he was usually catching off a pick n pop (hoop-math has him @ 85.7 assisted 3pt field goals made. For comparison sake boatright was at 66.3-making a sizzling 41% which is unbelievable- and hamilton was at 82.7.) he is actually a very effective mid range /attacking the rim sort of forward, and that's what I hope to see more of. A reduction of his 3pt ball attempts but still high usage and scoring in the paint or extended jumpers.

That being said if he flaunts new consistency in his long range shooting, then by all means try to get them up. Having skepticism about his 3pt efficiency isn't nuts tho

Reaction Score
Miller wasn't really "creating his own shot" when he shot threes, he was usually catching off a pick n pop (hoop-math has him @ 85.7 assisted 3pt field goals made. For comparison sake boatright was at 66.3-making a sizzling 41% which is unbelievable- and hamilton was at 82.7.) he is actually a very effective mid range /attacking the rim sort of forward, and that's what I hope to see more of. A reduction of his 3pt ball attempts but still high usage and scoring in the paint or extended jumpers.

That being said if he flaunts new consistency in his long range shooting, then by all means try to get them up. Having skepticism about his 3pt efficiency isn't nuts tho
Miller was brought here to rebound and defend. Which makes AB better. If Miller is shooting 3s, then the Adams, Gibbs, Purvis and Calhoun, have failed. A few 3s yes. But we need him to Board!

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Miller was brought here to rebound and defend. Which makes AB better. If Miller is shooting 3s, then the Adams, Gibbs, Purvis and Calhoun, have failed. A few 3s yes. But we need him to Board!
Yes and no. Of course he plugs that gap on defense but offensively he's a point forward. I agree we don't want him shooting 3's, but we do want him getting a lot of touches on the offensive end. He can break down the defense off the dribble playing outside in and find the open man.

Reaction Score
Yes and no. Of course he plugs that gap on defense but offensively he's a point forward. I agree we don't want him shooting 3's, but we do want him getting a lot of touches on the offensive end. He can break down the defense off the dribble playing outside in and find the open man.
Sounds good to me. The better he is the better for the team. Houston in a April.

Reaction Score
We want him taking and making just enough threes to pull his defender out of the paint when needed and make them play up on him.
Edited to add: If he can pull slower less agile 4s out of the paint to guard him he is going to create match up problems.

Reaction Score
should clarify that I'm not trying to sound like byron Scott and am quite aware of the advantages of 3pt attempts, I just need to see miller in the fold and how he adjusts with better talent. Ideally he actually can shoot and elevate his play at conn (above 35% on atleast 3 attempts per game).

I am also not down with this new boneyard obsession with rebounding like that's why we lost games last season; games were lost because we had 1 elite college scorer in boat and he wasn't really an innate distributer. To many yard posters disdain , the defense was well above average thanks to brimah and boat . The squad needed more efficient offensive options who can playmake.

Reaction Score
should clarify that I'm not trying to sound like byron Scott and am quite aware of the advantages of 3pt attempts, I just need to see miller in the fold and how he adjusts with better talent. Ideally he actually can shoot and elevate his play at conn (above 35% on atleast 3 attempts per game).

I am also not down with this new boneyard obsession with rebounding like that's why we lost games last season; games were lost because we had 1 elite college scorer in boat and he wasn't really an innate distributer. To many yard posters disdain , the defense was well above average thanks to brimah and boat . The squad needed more efficient offensive options who can playmake.

Well if blocking shots is how we rate good defense then yes. But Ab wasn't a good "defender" as of yet last year because he could block shots. With he and Facey in games we were actually well below average on defense from what I saw and will improve dramatically if Ab becomes better all around and the addition of Miller. Also DHam needs to be a better on ball defender which I think he will.

Rebounding improvement will show a dramatic change in scoring and running, as well as defense because of less 2nd chances. Rebounding is huge for this team, but that's me.

Reaction Score
@mauconnfan no offense but it's asinine to think we were below average defense with brimah on the floor . Look at his numbers , he is entering the year as the best defensive player on the team . Teams score less when he is on the floor . Would you substitute his rim protection for 3 more rebounds per game? I wouldn't

Reaction Score
If anyone still wants to argue that Brimah isn't a polarizing figure, mau actually trying to argue that UConn was a below average defensive team with him on the floor should put that to absolute rest. Cue up the Bill Cosby "that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard" soundbite.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Brimah was 13th in the conference in defensive win shares last year. That's a measure of points allowed not blocked shots.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Look, I agree Mau is tough on AB, but that isn't exactly what he said. He was saying that the Facey/AB back court was vulnerable when they were out there together.. I think it is reasonable to admit that there were stretches where our backcourt struggled on offense, defense.and rebounding.

Reaction Score
Look, I agree Mau is tough on AB, but that isn't exactly what he said. He was saying that the Facey/AB back court was vulnerable when they were out there together.. I think it is reasonable to admit that there were stretches where our backcourt struggled on offense, defense.and rebounding.
That would be referred to as a frontcourt, and Facey should be isolated by himself.

Reaction Score
shooting 30% or below from three is terrible, and possibly detrimental to the overall offense.

Ideally he actually can shoot and elevate his play at conn (above 35% on atleast 3 attempts per game).

If he shoots three attempts/game over 33 games he'll have 99 attempts.

30/99 is 30.30%
35/99 is 35.35%

5 makes over the course of the season is the difference between "terrible" and "ideal"??

Yeah, okay.

Reaction Score
29-30% from a 4 isn't great but it makes them think enough so that's fine. With more scorers chances are he improves that and even at 35% that's a nice thing to have him step out and take another rebounder away or a good defender from the middle .

I used to be a good 4-point shooter myself.;)

Reaction Score
If anyone still wants to argue that Brimah isn't a polarizing figure, mau actually trying to argue that UConn was a below average defensive team with him on the floor should put that to absolute rest. Cue up the Bill Cosby "that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard" soundbite.

I would love to see the on/off splits on Brimah for last season. My recollection was that we lost more on offense than defense with him out of the game but that could be a function of Nolan being a capable backup (defensively).

I lean a lot closer to your side in this argument than Mau's, but I think it's fair to mention that by UConn standards the defense was pretty ordinary last season. You obviously can't pin that all on Brimah but I didn't think his performance last season warranted defensive player of the year (though I wouldn't be shocked if there were stats that proved me wrong).

I can't imagine the coaching staff was teaching him to hedge hard but that's what it looked like at times, probably because of nothing but inexperience. He over pursued the ball and generally underestimated his own length/athleticism, IMO. That said, his flashes of dominance (the Florida game comes to mind) leads me to believe he's going to get to a point this season where he's among the best defensive players in the country.

Reaction Score
If he shoots three attempts/game over 33 games he'll have 99 attempts.

30/99 is 30.30%
35/99 is 35.35%

5 makes over the course of the season is the difference between "terrible" and "ideal"??

Yeah, okay.

It's not the 15 points that is significant, its the way it would force defenses to extend to the three point line on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom