Shonn Miller | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Shonn Miller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What in the world is going on?

Brimah's rebounding woes are well-document and need to be addressed, but his defensive impact is undeniable. For the people who disagree: did you flip channels when AB was benched or in foul trouble? That's the only logical explanation here.

Reaction Score
What in the world is going on?

Brimah's rebounding woes are well-document and need to be addressed, but his defensive impact is undeniable. For the people who disagree: did you flip channels when AB was benched or in foul trouble? That's the only logical explanation here.

Not sure how much you read but no one denied his impact blocking shots did they? There is impact but the only undeniable things is it goes both ways, like it or not. Blocked shots are huge, overall defense just needs to be better. There is defense outside of blocked shots you do know that right? And also it's also undeniable that rebounding is part of your job as a defender, if your guys gets the rebound you aren't defined your basket too well. Not at all a new concept.

Reaction Score
Not sure how much you read but no one denied his impact blocking shots did they? There is impact but the only undeniable things is it goes both ways, like it or not. Blocked shots are huge, overall defense just needs to be better. There is defense outside of blocked shots you do know that right? And also it's also undeniable that rebounding is part of your job as a defender, if your guys gets the rebound you aren't defined your basket too well. Not at all a new concept.
He does a lot more than block shots; the defense last year was so much worse when he was on the bench.

This debate is...bizarre.

Reaction Score
Again, with this debate about Amida Brimah being a great defender, I just go back to what Larry Brown had to say about him:

"And then on the defensive end, you’ve got somebody that goes after every shot. I was walking today with some of my staff. If you ask me to take one guy in our conference, besides some of the kids you hear mostly about, I’d take that center who corrects everything, every mistake you make. And he plays with passion. I think you need shot-blocking in college. With the 3-point line, everybody has to extend. You’re gonna make mistakes, and you’re gonna need somebody to protect. I think that’s a real big factor for their success. And he even made a couple of jumpers last night."

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
We've started to forget that in the first third of the season Facey was pretty good, including a monster performance against Duke (14 & 9) shoutout @Penfield & @champs99and04 .

But I think this is why KO has been emphasizing full court basketball and we can actually believe it this year. We are going to run teams into the ground with our depth.
I really hope it works out that way. Been missing this since the days when UConn ran other teams into the ground. Even when
they fell behind they stayed with the system; relentless pressure defense and fastbreaks until the other team broke down. But KO knows best. Can't wait for the season to start. Preseason tourney should tell us a lot about how ready and together they
are.

Reaction Score
I dont know why but I picture some high pick and pops for Miller (sorry for getting back to that subject) at the 3 point line. Left open he gets the chance to shoot and knock down some of them to help spread the floor some. As that happens, I picture the same exact play only an open Amida for an easy oops in the paint, or a slashing (insert other Uconn player). I think thats what Ollie is talking about when comparing him to DD. When a zone defense is stopping penetration he'll flash at that FT line area and open things up for the rest of the team and potentially end a zone defense. All hinges on his shot falling for us.

The other positive thing.. I see Enoch developing into a player that can do the exact same thing, might even show that he can do that THIS season. If we can step into the exact same role when Miller sits that would ridiculous for our offense!!! Too much to be excited about for this season.

Reaction Score
He does a lot more than block shots; the defense last year was so much worse when he was on the bench.

This debate is...bizarre.

Wow no doubt it was worst when he was out - we replaced him with Facey or Lubin. It's bizarre you would think they would be better?

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I have visions of Shonn being the guy who can destroy zone defenses by flashing to the foul line, catching the ball and making plays. I think he can also drive and dish or drive and go to the hole. It can be hard to tell based on some highlight video, but he looks to have great hands and I think he's a very good passer. The passing part could really be a huge asset as well as his other strengths.

Reaction Score
I have visions of Shonn being the guy who can destroy zone defenses by flashing to the foul line, catching the ball and making plays. I think he can also drive and dish or drive and go to the hole. It can be hard to tell based on some highlight video, but he looks to have great hands and I think he's a very good passer. The passing part could really be a huge asset as well as his other strengths.

The game film tcf posted he was doing alot of that against Syrcause when Cornell played them, b/w DHam and Miller being able to make plays in the middle this team should be well equipped to go against zone defenses.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Kudos to those trying to bring this back around to Shonn. :)

Reaction Score

Good call here. Or better yet this may allow DHam to worry about flashing the foul line more where he was good near years end, and not worry too much about offensive rebounding. Shonn and DHam potentially bring us 2 players interchangeable at the foul line in that case. We certainly lacked that last year and although DD was good at it he didn't do it enough either. Such a key against a wide zone, hopefully we have some answers now. It would seem we have quite a few - add to it (ok everyone hold back on this) Ab can shoot the ball from the elbow there's no doubt if his % is good he can be there on occasion also.

Reaction Score
SMH. If defenses choose to back off a 30% three point shooter and give him more open looks, that could very well turn him into a 35% tjree point shooter considering he only needs to make 5 more shots over the course of 100 attempts.

? I think everybody was already operating on the premise that these are open looks.

Reaction Score
I'm not hard on him . . .
Yeah, and the Grinch wasn't hard on his dog!
Respectfully disagree with you on Brimah - his impact on D is huge. Guys just don't drive to the rim as much, and that bottles everything up, creating a ripple effect all the way out to the 3 point line, which allows our perimeter defenders to play tighter D.

Reaction Score
Yeah, and the Grinch wasn't hard on his dog!
Respectfully disagree with you on Brimah - his impact on D is huge. Guys just don't drive to the rim as much, and that bottles everything up, creating a ripple effect all the way out to the 3 point line, which allows our perimeter defenders to play tighter D.

You mean it allows for our guys to take chances and not play as good a D for 30 seconds? ;)

His impact is solid for the reasons you bring up, if he improves I will agree it will be huge and we will be very very good. May be as is anyway.

Reaction Score
@mauconnfan no offense but it's asinine to think we were below average defense with brimah on the floor . Look at his numbers , he is entering the year as the best defensive player on the team . Teams score less when he is on the floor . Would you substitute his rim protection for 3 more rebounds per game? I wouldn't[/QUOTE
The "hands" thing, yes. DHam also doesn't let go once he grabs the rebound. If AB only had stronger hands he would double his rebounding, hope he's working that.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If Miller also has a good shot selection, I have no problem with him taking 2-3 threes a game.

That right there is the key. He'll get far better looks this year as well. Hopefully he makes them.

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, the Daniels/Miller comparison would not have occurred to me.

Reaction Score
? I think everybody was already operating on the premise that these are open looks.
Honest question... Do you know what "keeping defenses honest" means?

This is such a nonsensical argument. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. if you're only talking about his open looks, why are you talking about how a defense reacts differently due to a guy shooting 35% vs 30%????

If we're only discussing open looks, rather than real games, where not every shot is an open look, then you might as well be discussing how he looks against a fold up chair.

Reaction Score
Honest question... Do you know what "keeping defenses honest" means?

This is such a nonsensical argument. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. if you're only talking about his open looks, why are you talking about how a defense reacts differently due to a guy shooting 35% vs 30%????

If we're only discussing open looks, rather than real games, where not every shot is an open look, then you might as well be discussing how he looks against a fold up chair.

Because the open looks dictate how defenses guard him. If he can't shoot the three, defenses can afford to help off him and blur driving lanes. If he can hit them at an efficient clip, suddenly defenders have to close out harder and thus are more vulnerable to getting beat off the dribble.

I'm not sure what I'm missing.

Reaction Score
Because the open looks dictate how defenses guard him. If he can't shoot the three, defenses can afford to help off him and blur driving lanes. If he can hit them at an efficient clip, suddenly defenders have to close out harder and thus are more vulnerable to getting beat off the dribble.

I'm not sure what I'm missing.
youre not missing anything. according to some posters %s are meaningless, even if you aggregate all of millers at cornell. At the moment he is an unproven 3pt threat no matter what ollie says... 5 threes (15 points) could have won us a crap ton of games last season. I stand by my original point its reasonable to be skeptical about millers 3pt prowess, but if he starts hitting them at a higher rate then that changes.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

My vision is Hamilton flashing to the FT line and having Brimah and Miller on the baseline awaiting the tear drop alley oop.

Hampton flashing to the line with the catch and shoot, a one dribble floater lay up or an alley oop to either side if the defense cheats up.

Reaction Score
Of course it's reasonable to be skeptical about a 30% three point shooter. It's not reasonable to pretend that 5 shots over the course of a season is the difference between "terrible" and "ideal". That's fahking stupid. If he was taking 200 threes a year then 5% would be a significant difference.

Reaction Score
When you're talking about overall percentages, you're talking about the open looks and the contested shots. If I'm making a point about the overall percentage over the course of the season, then making the obvious statement that defenses will react to a guy who can hit an open three really has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

Reaction Score
Miller at the 4 needs to be a threat from the perimeter for our offensive spacing to work.

You saw what happened last year when we got nothing from the 4 or, longer ago, when we had two paint-bound bigs at the 4 and 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom