Shocking result in Baylor game | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Shocking result in Baylor game

Reaction Score
That was too much emotion to Not give a T, sorry. She has to have more control there.
Disagree. She fell towards the ball and for a second, punched it . It hit the side of the scorer's table. Same emotion DT showed when she punched the orange mat around the basket support column. If this game was close, would have been way too harsh of a punishment for being human.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
So Tynice Martin had 21, 29, and 32 points in victories over #3 seed Oklahoma, #2 Texas, and #1 Baylor.

I heard them say that is a record for points scored in the Big-12 tournament.
Tynice was the #100 player per HoopGurlz, but she was named the Big-12 FOY last season. A late bloomer!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Agree. She is a warrior. Did not like the "T". Refs must understand the emotion and the moment. Could have given her a warning and talking to.
That was not a situation where the ref's had a choice. They are taught to call a "T" in a situation like that. A player must learn to control her emotions. No warning in that case is appropriate.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Disagree. She fell towards the ball and for a second, punched it . It hit the side of the scorer's table. Same emotion DT showed when she punched the orange mat around the basket support column. If this game was close, would have been way too harsh of a punishment for being human.
Wanna know how we can be certain that the T was an obviously correct call? Mulkey didn't even argue. And she argues about everything.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
My post worked, predicting Baylor would come back to win this game. :)

Actually thought Baylor would comeback to win the game, surprised they didn't.

Does this drop Baylor out of the #1 Seed. Losing to West Virginia is a Bad Loss. Might move Miss St up to a one seed.

Reaction Score
That was not a situation where the ref's had a choice. They are taught to call a "T" in a situation like that. A player must learn to control her emotions. No warning in that case is appropriate.
You are right that they are taught to give a "T", but they do have a choice. Emotions are part of playing the game. There was no harm done to the opposition and no advantage was attained. I can see your point, "that is what happens (call a T) most of the time", so they have to call it. Good refs could do better, IMO. I guess I am in the minority.

Plebe

Reaction Score
You are right that they are taught to give a "T", but they do have a choice. Emotions are part of playing the game. There was no harm done to the opposition and no advantage was attained. I can see your point, "that is what happens (call a T) most of the time", so they have to call it. Good refs could do better, IMO. I guess I am in the minority.

It's the same as slamming the ball into the floor or throwing the ball in anger at a wall. There is no leeway on those calls. I've seen players T'd up for slamming the ball in celebrating a play. Automatic T.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score

Does this drop Baylor out of the #1 Seed. Losing to West Virginia is a Bad Loss. Might move Miss St up to a one seed.

Not going to happen.

Reaction Score
It's the same as slamming the ball into the floor or throwing the ball in anger at a wall. There is no leeway on those calls. I've seen players T'd up for slamming the ball in celebrating a play. Automatic T.
I agree I have seen them called all the time. And I disagree with every one of them. Remember, I am not saying the ref should just ignore the play. He should warn the player. Tirades like that are not to be "endorsed", but players are human. IMO. That is all.

Plebe

Reaction Score

So smart of you to use reverse psychology ha.

Baylor is still a #1 seed, easily. But it might drop them to #4 overall and into UConn's side of the bracket.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I agree I have seen them called all the time. And I disagree with every one of them. Remember, I am not saying the ref should just ignore the play. He should warn the player. Tirades like that are not to be "endorsed", but players are human. IMO. That is all.
What good is warning the player if there's no other consequences? What you permit, you promote.
If you're frustrated, there's a lot you can do. Just don't mess with the ball. Pretty simple. Human beings have control over their actions. Nonhumans might be forgiven for a lack of impulse control.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I didnt see the game tonight. However I did see the game WV played at Baylor in January. In that game Baylor won 79-73.
This was a quote or two by Mulkey in that game.

Opening statement…
“They have length on the perimeter, they have a ball-handler that runs the show, they have size inside and athleticism. They guarded us. They made everything we tried to do difficult. I was proud that we made our free throws. I thought we had a hard time defending their drives and transition baskets.”

On defensive play…
“It is hard to guard anybody one-on-one. What we didn’t do well today from our perspective is that I felt like we were still in our defense from Iowa State and we were all worried about the three ball. There was no flow from the secondary defender coming over to help. We weren’t very good helping each other.”

If you saw the game in January, Baylor looked as ordinary as I have seen them. The look on Mulkeys face at the end of the game was Dear Lord, Thank You!!

This result tonight was not a surprise to me.
I mentioned, I think yesterday, when Creme had WVa as a 8/9 seed in Bridgeport, that they were not a team you want to play as an 8/9. I guess they move up some and out of Bridgeport.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
IMG_20170306_224239.jpg

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I didnt see the game tonight. However I did see the game WV played at Baylor in January. In that game Baylor won 79-73.
This was a quote or two by Mulkey in that game.

Opening statement…
“They have length on the perimeter, they have a ball-handler that runs the show, they have size inside and athleticism. They guarded us. They made everything we tried to do difficult. I was proud that we made our free throws. I thought we had a hard time defending their drives and transition baskets.”

On defensive play…
“It is hard to guard anybody one-on-one. What we didn’t do well today from our perspective is that I felt like we were still in our defense from Iowa State and we were all worried about the three ball. There was no flow from the secondary defender coming over to help. We weren’t very good helping each other.”

If you saw the game in January, Baylor looked as ordinary as I have seen them. The look on Mulkeys face at the end of the game was Dear Lord, Thank You!!

This result tonight was not a surprise to me.
I mentioned, I think yesterday, when Creme had WVa as a 8/9 seed in Bridgeport, that they were not a team you want to play as an 8/9. I guess they move up some and out of Bridgeport.
Yeah. Let Maryland deal with them.

Reaction Score

Why would USC move ahead of Baylor? Losing to Mizzo is just as bad as losing to WVA. Baylor didn't have their star player. She is playing Tourney time, right? I think Miss State is a paper tiger.

Reaction Score
Don't like the technical on Wallace. The emotion is understandable. A good talking to by the officials would have been a better decision.
I don't think it should have gotten that far. Wallace should have been whistled when she practically mugged the WV player to get the ball. I got the distinct impression in the fourth quarter that the officials were less than even handed. But I'll admit I was rooting for WV, which might have influenced that opinion.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Ref's get graded and would get reprimanded by the head of officials if a "T" is not called in that situation. In some situations a ref has no choice but to go by the rule book.

Reaction Score

I

Years ago technical fouls were called for taking a shot after a whistle, and for not shutting up and raising your hand if you committed a foul. I guess I'm old school, but I liked it that way.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score

And while we know what we saw (or believe we do), we do not know what, if anything, was said.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Why would USC move ahead of Baylor? Losing to Mizzo is just as bad as losing to WVA. Baylor didn't have their star player. She is playing Tourney time, right? I think Miss State is a paper tiger.

The resume comparison between Baylor and USC is a close call, but I do think it comes down to how much slack the committee cuts Baylor for being without Alexis Jones tonight.

South Carolina (27-4): RPI #3, SOS #4, 10 wins vs. RPI top 25, 13 wins vs. top 50.
Baylor (30-3): RPI #7, SOS #26, 10 top-25 wins, 12 top-50 wins.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom