Shocking result in Baylor game | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Shocking result in Baylor game

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
This is what the NCAA Tournament is for....to settle these "differences of opinions"! I really don't think it makes a bit of difference if you are seeded 1/2/3, or which region. If your aim is to get to the NCAA Championship Game, you have to win baby win. Home court/Neutral Court/Away Game, doesn't matter. Your season should have prepared you for all of these possibilities.

It's a contrarian opinion. It has some player support on UConn's team Several have said that hostile crowds cause them to elevate their game and they enjoy playing in front of such crowds. Worth losing your own bed and things and familiar surroundings etc. I don't know. And a one off in Irishland or Baylor territory is season is different than a weekend 2 games followed by another.

Reaction Score
It's a contrarian opinion. It has some player support on UConn's team Several have said that hostile crowds cause them to elevate their game and they enjoy playing in front of such crowds. Worth losing your own bed and things and familiar surroundings etc. I don't know. And a one off in Irishland or Baylor territory is season is different than a weekend 2 games followed by another.
Exactly my point, your regular season should have prepared you for all these possibilities.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Ask and ye shall receive:

I see she's channeling part of her old LaTech color scheme..... and attitude! :)

mulkey la tech.jpg

Reaction Score
According to Charlie Creme, it does. Baylor's loss moves them down to the 4th seed, and SC up to the 3rd seed. So, you get your wish.
If Baylor is in fact the 4th 1 seed, that may move them to the Stockton region, and to the same side of the bracket as UConn.

Not many teams can keep up with a T. Martin draining (and not missing 3's from the get go. Without Jones, we simply don't have anyone quick enough to break thru a screen and get in her face. They were screening at the arc thus T. Martin was making those threes from 3 ft outside the arc--a pure clinic in long-distance 3's. T. Martin is such a quick release athlete she was deadly from 2-3 feet outside the three arc. You kinda figure that will cool off; last night it didn't, and a much as gamer as our Cohen is, she's NOT able to slide thru a screen and keep Martin from launching. She's a short #4 (6'1") trying to guard a lightning quick bona fide #2--not a good matchup for our guys at all.

We (aka Alexis Prince) did a decent job in answering with our own 3's, but we were too far down against a team fighting for survival that was on a higher plane than we've seen them. I'm assuming we felt like if we slid behind the screen and dared her to shoot from 20'+ that she'd not be able to do it consistently. Buddy bubba were we wrong if THAT was our defensive game plan.

The night before we played an error free and as smooth a game as we had played all year (now, given it was lower end of conference team we did it against)--almost like playing against air, but two different nights/two different teams wearing 'BAYLOR' on their jersey. We haven't seen that kind of "off" night in a while. Hope its an aberration.

You KNOW the universe is out of whack when KMulkey put a zone defense on the court.

Issue now is, even IF Jones gets back on the court, will she be in game condition and will she have her game-day stroke. No time for a few games to knock off the dust. I fear everyone is expecting the All American Jones simply to walk on the court after a month+ layoff and pick right back up where she left off. Pretty naive expectation I think.

If we somehow break that Elite 8 ceiling of the last few years and end up as #4 in Dallas vs. you guys in the semis, then so be it. To be the best you gotta beat the best--semis or finals, one or the other. We're not looking JUST to make the final four. We're looking forward to a rematch with your guys in Dallas IN THE FINALS.

I don't know but I been told, women's seeding committee DOES take ticket sales at into consideration with the teams at the higher end of the bracket (thought they won't admit it), so I'm still thinking we go to OKC regional. But, if not, nobody to blame bur ourselves. Didn't seem to affect last night's game that we were just 6 hours up the road in terms of fans support. And with the venue being pretty well sold out for FF, our senior citizen fan base is snot going to buy tickets up in the rafters, nor probably pay any overpriced costs on StubHub. Our senior citizens are rabid fans; but they're not the kind just to hop in the car and face 6-7 hours (senior citizen speed) of I-35 traffic without thinking about that being a LONG hard drive for them.

Whatever, as always, hope to see you there.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Not many teams can keep up with a T. Martin draining (and not missing 3's from the get go. Without Jones, we simply don't have anyone quick enough to break thru a screen and get in her face.

Issue now is, even IF Jones gets back on the court, will she be in game condition and will she have her game-day stroke. No time for a few games to knock off the dust. I fear everyone is expecting the All American Jones simply to walk on the court after a month+ layoff and pick right back up where she left off. Pretty naive expectation I think.

What's the latest on Jones's recovery, and the timing of her return...?

Reaction Score
Why should WVGA be ashamed? You and Southie "quote RPI." When I said USC should remain the 4th number 1 seed you didn't agree and are spouting RPI. Okay-- but imo Mizzou and WVGA are all but equal. Please tell me why I should use RPI instead of Sagarin? I basically refer to them as a wash. You and southie seem to want to put RPI on a pedestal. The NCAA doesn't use the RPI much from what I've heard. So why is it better than Sagarin? You seem to want to put a negative spin on Baylor's loss to WVGA -- while I say Mizzou IS WVGA.

And Baylor's losing their star player is more of an impact than USC losing Coates. You still have YOUR star player to settle the game down. Baylor didn't have their star. Losing your best player IS a bigger impact.

Define star player... She averages 13.9 ppg but doesn't lead her team in scoring along with 4.8 agp but doesn't lead in assists. If they were without Kalani Brown (who's their leading scorer and rebounder) then you could make the case they were without their star player. Alaina Coates averages 13.6 ppg and 12.2 rpg but she's isn't our star player, she's a very IMPORTANT player, along with Alexis Jones but neither are star players which is why you can make the case that Baylor was without a very good player but not a star player.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Define star player... She averages 13.9 ppg but doesn't lead her team in scoring along with 4.8 agp but doesn't lead in assists. If they were without Kalani Brown (who's their leading scorer and rebounder) then you could make the case they were without their star player. Alaina Coates averages 13.6 ppg and 12.2 rpg but she's isn't our star player, she's a very IMPORTANT player, along with Alexis Jones but neither are star players which is why you can make the case that Baylor was without a very good player but not a star player.

Alexis Jones was Baylor's leading scorer until Kalani Brown had her 35-point explosion in the Texas game where Jones left early with the knee injury.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Alexis Jones was Baylor's leading scorer until Kalani Brown had her 35-point explosion in the Texas in game where Jones left early with the knee injury.

I hope Ms Jones can come back as strong as ever and the same goes for Coates as both teams will need them to make a run at the FF.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I hope Ms Jones can come back as strong as ever and the same goes for Coates as both teams will need them to make a run at the FF.
Agreed. And especially since both are seniors and this is their last shot. Few things make me sadder than seeing a senior's season cut short by injury.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Great post Baylor Prof. It was shocking, but WV was in a zone for the whole tournament playing pretty error free ball until they tried to ice it down the stretch and played not to lose.
I think it quite possible the committee still sends Baylor to OK, the evaluation of SC and Baylor is pretty darned close and you could justify either being the '3', and as you say there is history of them adjust location against the seed when it makes sense economically - the combined travel distance sending Baylor west is probably a little longer than sending SC west, and the difference for SC between OK and CA isn't that great - still a long flight and indirect to OK while the CA flight is probably more direct. Whereas for Baylor it is a long drive vs. a flight between OK and CA.

With Jones - at least she has almost three weeks before things start getting serious - if she is able to play the first weekend, Baylor shouldn't really be challenged and she can start getting her legs back, with then another week of conditioning before the serious business starts. The concern for me is that Baylor continues to be challenged outside and even taking into consideration Jones being out, they like SC struggle against good perimeter teams defensively.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom