Shocking News Out of North Carolina Women's Basketball | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Shocking News Out of North Carolina Women's Basketball

Reaction Score
I do understand the 3 of maybe infinite varieties of racial interaction attitudes. But, to put my question more directly, if you are a bigot do you really choose a career that has you hanging around the people you have bigoted thoughts about. This isn't 1850s Carolina and she isn't raising cotton.
Please spend some time learning about "unconscious racism" and "implicit bias". (A Google search is not a bad place to start). This is a burgeoning subject area in cognitive psychology. Bottom line: a person can harbor racial stereotypes (we all do) and act on them (some of us do) without being a bigot. Indeed, many black folk would rather deal with straight up bigots than with well-meaning white folk who are (willfully?) blind to the ways in which they reinforce and benefit from racial stratification.

So please stop with the "she can't have said (or meant) the things she's accused of saying because she willingly spends time with black folk" or "because she's not a bigot". By the way, I'd be more impressed by a stockbroker who engages black folk in her professional capacity than by a basketball coach who does.

Reaction Score
This just occurred to me as I caught up with this thread. Whatever the reports of anecdotal evidence of whatever are about Sylvia Hatchell and her staff, and not meaning to address whatever her issues are or are not that bring the suspension and investigation...in other words, without regard to the merits of whatever the case or non-case against Hatchell is ... so strictly hypothetically I ask: If a non-black person did not like black people, why would such a person devote a lifetime to a profession that had them interacting constantly with people many if not most of whom are black?

is this a serious question?

Reaction Score
North Carolina women's basketball has been taken hostage by the players. They are not the first school this has happened to.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
You will pass because you have no interest in taking responsibility for your own learning, and because ignorance is bliss for those who benefit from it. I took your question as a serious inquiry, and spent a lot of time replying in a careful and kind way. Your response is to flip me off. Nice guy.

You're right and I apologize.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
All Sylvia has to do address the specific allegations. You stated that "UNC is losing players in bunches" and implied that is related to the allegations against Sylvia. It is at least partial unrelated, per an earlier post "at least 3 of the NC players were in the transfer portal prior to the allegations. Two of the three UNC players that are in the transfer portal Destinee Walker & Stephanie Watts are both HS class of 2015 meaning that they will be graduate transfers and might have been leaving UNC anyway. BTW Sylvia has 1 more year remaining on her contract, she is not going to get an extension, this is the end of the road for her at UNC either way.
Coco I am not buying for one second the allegations were made after they entered the transfer portal. The allegations came to light after the players entered the portal. For a school to open an investigation multiple instances or a heavily document issue has to have occurred. Now the school May have “announced” the allegations after but I think there is exactly that correlation of issues = transfers.

We also know during the recruiting or “wooing” process, coaches have a completely different demeanor. I do not believe Hatchell as a racist, but do believe her to be aloof (polite term) or insensitive to both motivational techniques and on how to handle injuries.

The facts are still yet tone made completely public, however I agree that this will be her last contract and maybe she gets to coach her last year if the smoke clears. Respectfully, DefenseBB

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
North Carolina women's basketball has been taken hostage by the players. They are not the first school this has happened to.

Oh, so they conspired to do this...and gain what exactly? Like in any crime show, what’s the motive? No motive, no crime. You do realize there is an email and text trail with the team doctor about injuries that substantiates the players claims right?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Oh, so they conspired to do this...and gain what exactly? Like in any crime show, what’s the motive? No motive, no crime. You do realize there is an email and text trail with the team doctor about injuries that substantiates the players claims right?
We are talking WCBB here not some episode of CSI so please focus! The players did not like the way they were being treated (pushed?). What they gain in the process is someone who will treat them better, more gently than the current coach.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
We are talking WCBB here not some episode of CSI so please focus! The players did not like the way they were being treated (pushed?). What they gain in the process is someone who will treat them better, more gently than the current coach.
Neither of us knows what went on other than what was reported and to me, the most troubling is the documentation of Hatchell pushing players to play when injured. So let’s agree to disagree on Hatchell who should have been let go beforehand this last contract.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Neither of us knows what went on other than what was reported and to me, the most troubling is the documentation of Hatchell pushing players to play when injured. So let’s agree to disagree on Hatchell who should have been let go beforehand this last contract.
What are my other options?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Great time to announce this :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:...... right after midnight... on Good Friday.....

Anyway

Sylvia Hatchell Steps Down as Women's Basketball Head Coach

Main points from the announcement

The firm conducted a review that included 28 interviews of current players and personnel connected to the UNC women's basketball program and found widespread support for three overarching themes:

1. Hatchell made comments that were racially insensitive, and when confronted by players and staff did not respond in a timely or appropriate manner. The review concluded that Hatchell is not viewed as a racist, but her comments and subsequent response caused many in the program to believe she lacked awareness and appreciation for the effect her remarks had on those who heard them.

2. Players and medical staff expressed frustration with perceived and undue influence from Hatchell regarding medical issues and pressure to play. Despite Hatchell's questioning of player care, status and readiness, the medical staff did not surrender to pressure to clear players before they were medically ready.

3. There has been a breakdown of connectivity between the players and Hatchell.

Reaction Score
Great time to announce this :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:. right after midnight... on Good Friday.....

Anyway

The firm conducted a review that included 28 interviews of current players and personnel connected to the UNC women's basketball program and found widespread support for three overarching themes:

1. Hatchell made comments that were racially insensitive, and when confronted by players and staff did not respond in a timely or appropriate manner. The review concluded that Hatchell is not viewed as a racist, but her comments and subsequent response caused many in the program to believe she lacked awareness and appreciation for the effect her remarks had on those who heard them.

2. Players and medical staff expressed frustration with perceived and undue influence from Hatchell regarding medical issues and pressure to play. Despite Hatchell's questioning of player care, status and readiness, the medical staff did not surrender to pressure to clear players before they were medically ready.

Sometimes it takes a while for problems to be exposed, as it did with Rene Portland.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Elon’s Charlotte Smith has to be on a short list. She is a NC standout and i have felt she was waiting on this job. Could be a good move.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Elon’s Charlotte Smith has to be on a short list. She is a NC standout and i have felt she was waiting on this job. Could be a good move.

Do not want
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Well this is what happens when I take a road trip and then check the BY before winding down to sleep. Quite the piece of news at midnight on a Thursday.

I’ll be shocked if anyone but Charlotte Smith gets the job. She is heir apparent.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Well this is what happens when I take a road trip and then check the BY before winding down to sleep. Quite the piece of news at midnight on a Thursday.

I’ll be shocked if anyone but Charlotte Smith gets the job. She is heir apparent.

You must not have read the above post :rolleyes:

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Gail G. is available. That would be a twist.

Reaction Score
Great time to announce this :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:. right after midnight... on Good Friday.....

Anyway

Maybe I am just not sensitive enough to words because number 2 would concern me a lot more. stupid remarks may hurt but trying to get a player to return from an injury before that player is medically ready can do more damage than any words. If 2 is true then I am glad she is gone.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
And if not, Shea Ralph would be a good choice too.
I would think UConn gets a call if UNC is serious. But that is a big job to give to someone with no experience as a HC.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

While doing a little researching, I was reminded that Charlotte Smith hit that game-winning shot in the 1994 National Championship game.

The third point (above) raised in the North Carolina release catches my eye, in part, because it could address the first two issues, as well, and also says that the new coach needs to be able to connect to/with today's players and parents.

Smith seems to have done well as a head coach at Elon and certainly seems young enough (46?) to address that #3 criteria. I wonder if being affiliated with Coach Hatchell and/or NC would be considered a strength and/or fault. My guess is that she 's been away from the program long enough to carry the good and not the bad. We'll see...

If not, maybe NC looks at two high-visibility, younger assistant coaches who are well-known for their ability to relate:
- Shea Ralph of UConn, with her North Carolina background and championship pedigree; and
- Niele Ivey of Notre Dame, also with championship pedigree and lay of the ACC.

While neither has been a head coach, perhaps NC is ready to take a shot.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maybe I am just not sensitive enough to words because number 2 would concern me a lot more. stupid remarks may hurt but trying to get a player to return from an injury before that player is medically ready can do more damage than any words. If 2 is true then I am glad she is gone.
Lots of detail here about the "words" (he said/she said, but the accusers were unanimous about the words "noose" and "tree"), and the "play through injury" accusations (pressuring a player to postpone prescribed shoulder surgery, pressuring a player to play in the conference and potentially NCAA tournaments with torn ligaments because "WNBA scouts will want to see if you can play through pain").

UNC women's basketball coach resigns after review finds she made 'racially insensitive' remarks

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom