Shocking News Out of North Carolina Women's Basketball | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Shocking News Out of North Carolina Women's Basketball

Reaction Score
Lots of detail here about the "words" (he said/she said, but the accusers were unanimous about the words "noose" and "tree"), and the "play through injury" accusations (pressuring a player to postpone prescribed shoulder surgery, pressuring a player to play in the conference and potentially NCAA tournaments with torn ligaments because "WNBA scouts will want to see if you can play through pain").

UNC women's basketball coach resigns after review finds she made 'racially insensitive' remarks
Playing through pain depends on how much pain and risk to worsen the injury. When Lou was injured, Geno made it very clear the doctors recommendations would override the desire by Lou and the chances of losing a game. Geno said it just was not a consideration if Lou’s injury could worsen by playing her early, SHE WOULD NOT PLAY!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Playing through pain depends on how much pain and risk to worsen the injury. When Lou was injured, Geno made it very clear the doctors recommendations would override the desire by Lou and the chances of losing a game. Geno said it just was not a consideration if Lou’s injury could worsen by playing her early, SHE WOULD NOT PLAY!
The tipping point is the difference between hurting and being injured. If a player is hurt, but unlikely to injur themselves more by playing, then the decision to play or not should be the player’s, with input from the HC as well as the training staff.

If a player is injured, with the potential to further injur themselves, the decision to play belongs to the medical staff alone. From what we are hearing about the situation at UNC, Hatchell did not differentiate between hurting and serious injuries when pushing players to play.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
And if not, Shea Ralph would be a good choice too.

I would think that program would prefer someone with head coaching experience. Thats a big step up for an assistant.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Unquestionably Hatchell for at least a decade and probably more ran a methodically crooked program with systemic scholarship/academic cheating and was complicit and lied through her teeth about it. The NCAA couldn't find a way out of its own investigation that would be less than severe for UNC, so it adopted the fiction that the violations were not in its jurisdiction after a years long "investigation." So I'm glad to see her get it in the neck. The efficient cause is a sad statement, but hardly a surprise.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
And every head coach did it.

Meh. Ralph isnt even the top assistant...... Let her start at somewhere like Fairfield or Marist or UMass..... then if she is successful there.... the big time schools will come calling.

There is no doubt in my mind that Shea is ready to step up to a HC job at a P5 school. What is in doubt is whether she wants to leave UConn at this point in time, after the recent birth of her little girl.

Of course a UConn fan would say that :p

Reaction Score
I would think that program would prefer someone with head coaching experience. Thats a big step up for an assistant.

Close from FSU to UCLA
Fargas from TN to UCLA
Coquese from ND to PennSt
Ivey nearly from ND to Vandy
Schaefer from TAMU to Miss St
Tsipsis from ND to GW

While HC experience is generally preferred, a top-top tier assistant is a viable choice IMO.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Close from FSU to UCLA
Fargas from TN to UCLA
Coquese from ND to PennSt
Ivey nearly from ND to Vandy
Schaefer from TAMU to Miss St
Tsipsis from ND to GW

While HC experience is generally preferred, a top-top tier assistant is a viable choice IMO.

Fair enough...... but I just cant see the AD over there hiring an assistant coach.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Charlotte Smith feels like a slam dunk

Shea always seemed like an option given that her Mom was a star there, and she grew up in-state.

I wonder how Smith would feel following her coach and mentor.... particularly how Hatchell was treated at the end. I also wonder if the AD wants to go in a different path and not hire someone from the Hatchell "family"

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Meh. Ralph isnt even the top assistant. Of course a UConn fan would say that :p
I’m sure you’re probably hoping that UNC hires JPM. Rumor has it that she has HC experience and it would solve your problem in Durham.....:cool:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I’m sure you’re probably hoping that UNC hires JPM. Rumor has it that she has HC experience and it would solve your problem in Durham.....:cool:

And she wouldnt have to move :cool: But she would be taking a HUGE paycut though.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
And she wouldnt have to move :cool: But she would be taking a HUGE paycut though.
So you don’t think the folks in Chapel Hill would open up the checkbook for a top hire like JPM? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I wonder how Smith would feel following her coach and mentor.... particularly how Hatchell was treated at the end. I also wonder if the AD wants to go in a different path and not hire someone from the Hatchell "family"

For Smith, it might depend on how Hatchell feels about the school now.

As for the AD, yes Smith is a connection to the past, and that was -until recently- a good thing.

The AD messed this up though. It's been clear for a while that UNC was on a downslide, and if he had eased her out gracefully earlier, it never would've come to this.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think Melanie Balcomb or Gail Goestenkors if they intend to coach again would be prime candidates for this position. UNC has the resources. What is Ivory Latta up to these days?

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
The AD messed this up though. It's been clear for a while that UNC was on a downslide, and if he had eased her out gracefully earlier, it never would've come to this.

Except UNC's men's basketball, which was under investigation for two decades of academic fraud, had thrown Hatchell and the women's program under the proverbial bus.

After the NCAA decided it could not take action against UNC (and renders useless any knowledge of "where the bodies are buried" by Hatchell), the school, recognizing the elimination of any leverage that Hatchell had, waits one year and essentially forces her resignation (which I would guess includes a settlement agreement).

Did the AD really "mess this up?" Or did the AD take a calculated and risky gamble that paid off without any NCAA sanctions, without any lawsuit from Hatchell, and with now having the ability to bring in a new coach to attempt to resurrect the women's program?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
There is no doubt in my mind that Shea is ready to step up to a HC job at a P5 school. What is in doubt is whether she wants to leave UConn at this point in time, after the recent birth of her little girl.

Plus her husband is at UMASS-Lowell, isn't he? She'd have to stay in the area or they'd end up living apart during the season.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Plus her husband is at UMASS-Lowell, isn't he? She'd have to stay in the area or they'd end up living apart during the season.
I guess she could do the same thing as KJH at TN and hire her husband Tom Garrick as an Ast Coach.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Shea (or Niele) would be insane to take any job below high mid-major, and even that seems low.

Yeah, At this point, I doubt Niele would take a non-P5 job. In addition to Vandy as you mentioned, I believe she also interviewed for the Georgia job.

Plus, she's happy at ND where if she stays she is the heir apparent.

Would assume Shea is a similar situation.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Listening to Triangle Sports Radio................... and they dont often talk about WCBB news.... but of course they did today. Basically called out UNC.cheat for releasing the press release at midnight..... on Good Friday...... on a day when people are still focusing on that other Report being released..... and just a few hours after the local sports media and populace is focused on the Hurricanes and soaking in the afterglow of tying up the series with the Capitals 2-2 :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Good ol UNC.cheat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom