Shabazz and Roscoe | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Shabazz and Roscoe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Meh - bringing in Khalid reduced Ricky/Rash's roles, bringing in Ben took a starting spot away from Tony, bringing in Rudy meant less minutes/touches for Rashad/Denham, bringing in Kemba changed things for Austrie/Beverly (and Dyson to a degree, in terms of showing point guard skills for the next level).

If we were scared of what bringing in talent might do to the incumbents, we'd be sitting on no titles. The incumbents need to prove they belong out there. KO did when we brought in Sheffer (and Fair accepted his bench role).
I agree with Dan. He did not even suggest that we should not have brought in Drummond but was commenting on the result. Drummond is obviously a great player but he wasn't great while he was here and he did take minutes away from Oriakhi and Roscoe. Oriakhi was bitter and would have transferred no matter but Roscoe's decision was probably related to lack of an opportunity to play in the post-season.

Reaction Score
Jerry1714 said:
EDIT: To note, I do not think he will be a first round pick this year and I doubt next year unless there is an improvement in his game, but I do think he can play in the league because of his ability to rebound, defend, stretch the floor and score from 16 feet.

At his size, if he's not a wing, he's gotta be a freakish athlete or a lights out 3 point shooter. 16 feet doesn't cut it. The best mid range shooter in the NBA right now is Serge Ibaka, who also happens to be one of the two best defenders in the league and a lot bigger than Roscoe. What I'm saying is the 16 foot jumper is something guys with more to offer than Roscoe bring to the table.

That being said, crazier things have happened than Roscoe catching on somewhere as a rebound/energy guy.

Reaction Score
I think everyone's looking at the Roscoe of now except you dude. He's shot 48/75 this year on uncontested 15 foot shots (a.k.a. free throws). He's attempted 6 three pointers on the year in 16 games, 1 attempt every 3 games. He is not a good shooter.

Chad Ford is a complete moron. He's the jackass who every year has 70-80 guys with "first round potential". Just because ESPN is dumb enough to pay him for his thoughts does not change the fact that most of his thoughts are idiotic.
So does this mean he was a good shooter his freshman year when he went 60/75? Is this how you define a good shooter, by hitting free throws?

He is not a 3 pointer shooter, he plays PF, if he thinks his game is knocking down 3's he wont play in the D-league let alone the NBA. I do not care, nor does the NBA, what he shoots from 3.

Reaction Score
Roscoe has a chance. Jeff is in the league now.

I like Shabazz a lot better than Marcus Williams to contribute in the NBA. He's just got tremendous basketball instincts and heart.

With the Celtics having a ton of draft picks (though I'm not sure how many this coming draft) and Shabazz being boston guy, I'd love to see him end up with the C's with a late 1st round/early 2nd round pick. I'm sure he'd be thrilled to back up Rajon Rondo in Boston, probably get Calhoun to a game or two of his during the season too

caw

Reaction Score
Deep range does not mean from 3, he states 3 point or NBA 3 point range for that. It refers to his ability to shot from outside the paint and knock down jump shots, which he can and does.

Also, have you watched him this year? How many people on this board have? I have, a number of times, he is a much better and more aggressive player then he was 2 years go at UConn.

EDIT: To note, I do not think he will be a first round pick this year and I doubt next year unless there is an improvement in his game, but I do think he can play in the league because of his ability to rebound, defend, stretch the floor and score from 16 feet.

Yes I have watched him this year (though only in 4 games). He has decent mid-range game but by no-means elite or excellent.

It's absurd (and by this I mean Chad Ford is, if what you say about his definition is true) to say someone shooting outside the paint, but inside the three point line, has deep range. Most any analyst/enthusiast/casual fan will tell you that's mid-range. For that matter in the NBA, the college line is part of that mid-range shot. Roscoe doesn't have deep range. It's just absurd.

As to your question on Daniels versus Roscoe. I think Daniels has more offensive potential because he is a pretty solid shooter and can dribble better (neither are great). Roscoe brings one (possibly) elite skill in rebounding though. In the right system, either could contribute. In the wrong system, either will fail. Neither is a sure-fire star.

Reaction Score
KO proved that a less talented guy with great work habits and determination can carve out a career in the NBA .
To dismiss someone based on perceived negatives is ridicules. It may effect the draft but D league weeds out the ones who really want it from the ones that think it's a given.

Reaction Score
So does this mean he was a good shooter his freshman year when he went 60/75? Is this how you define a good shooter, by hitting free throws?

He is not a 3 pointer shooter, he plays PF, if he thinks his game is knocking down 3's he wont play in the D-league let alone the NBA. I do not care, nor does the NBA, what he shoots from 3.
Really getting some great laughs out of your backtracking and goal post moving in this thread. So thanks for that.

Reaction Score
I agree with Dan. He did not even suggest that we should not have brought in Drummond but was commenting on the result. Drummond is obviously a great player but he wasn't great while he was here and he did take minutes away from Oriakhi and Roscoe. Oriakhi was bitter and would have transferred no matter but Roscoe's decision was probably related to lack of an opportunity to play in the post-season.

Well, Oriakhi and Roscoe simply needed to prove they belonged on the floor. They had ample opportunity. Never mind Drummond, they both fell behind Tyler Olander in the rotation at the 4 at the start of the season. Nobody wanted to seize either of the forward spots that were there for the taking all season, so we turned into a three-guard team. I mean, TO and Roscoe played almost the exact number of minutes that season (Roscoe 602, Tyler 600). Tyler had 131 rebounds, Roscoe had 112. Tyler had 40 assists, Roscoe had 7.

I like TO and all, but if you're not beating him out for minutes, then perhaps you're not being screwed.

Reaction Score
Really getting some great laughs out of your backtracking and goal post moving in this thread. So thanks for that.
I find it comical that someone says a PF's cannot shoot based on a small number of FTs and how many 3 pointers they take, but hey the world needs ditch diggers too.

Reaction Score
From Chad Ford on Roscoe:

Positives

• [ ]Long, athletic wing
    [ ]Excellent shooter with deep range
    [ ]Very good size for his position
    [ ]Good rebounder
Negatives

• [ ]Needs to add strength
    [ ]Needs to improve ball handling
    [ ]Inconsistent defender

http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/results/players/_/id/19609/roscoe-smith

I thought he cannot shoot? Never seen someone so dumb think they were so brilliant, glad to have you around for the laughs.

Here's the good news FF, no one agrees with you……..check your posts Jer, you're a dope and you're confirming the crap out of it in this thread…want a laugh, wake up and check that mirror. Can't believe you're actually a Husky fan it kind of embarrasses me!

Reaction Score
I find it comical that someone says a PF's cannot shoot based on a small number of FTs and how many 3 pointers they take, but hey the world needs ditch diggers too.

Ditch diggers and hamburger floppers like yourself Jerry….what else could you be after reading these posts? Maybe a donut maker on a good week………let your one friend know you need a hug!

I can see you being the a-wipe you naturally are on the baseball board because of the Yanks/Sox rivalry but your ability to be an a-wipe to the fans who like the same team sets you apart in your abilities…..closet Cuse fan Jer? how else you can you be such a ?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
also from nbadraft.net....

under stock falling:
DeAndre Daniels Connecticut Jr.

The Husky junior has had solid numbers, as he;s knocking own 3 pointers at a solid rate. The main problem for him is his body has shown very little progress and he lacks great foot speed. He has slipped from a bubble first rounder to a mid to late second rounder. His shooting will need to be extraordinary and his body will have to get a lot stronger in order for him to get looks in the first round as a senior.
good take.... hope DD is listening.

Reaction Score
Roscoe kind of got screwed by JC. People may think I'm crazy but the worst to happen to our program in the last few years was Andre Drummond coming to UConn. As good as Andre was, we only had him 1 year, didn't win with him and he really changed the rotation and team chemistry. It is very possible that there would have been no transfers if Andre went else ware. I'm not knocking Andre because he was a great player and a good kid but his presence just changed things.
No, AD didn't hurt us, AO did. What was JC supposed to do? Let the kid that dominated in practice sit for the games so that lazy slug could play? AO took RS minutes. There were a lot of me-first attitudes on that team, but AD wasn't one of them.

Reaction Score
From Chad Ford on Roscoe:

Positives

• [ ]Long, athletic wing
    [ ]Excellent shooter with deep range
    [ ]Very good size for his position
    [ ]Good rebounder
Negatives

• [ ]Needs to add strength
    [ ]Needs to improve ball handling
    [ ]Inconsistent defender

http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/results/players/_/id/19609/roscoe-smith

I thought he cannot shoot? Never seen someone so dumb think they were so brilliant, glad to have you around for the laughs.

Jer please do your homework before you quote Chad Forde……a breathing nothing (you kind of know what's that like though huh)……

Roscoe Smith in his career from 3 pt range - .301 % , .241 % , .286 %………yeah I guess that is an Excellent shooter with deep range, if you nothing about basketball! ;) thanks for the confirmation though!

Reaction Score
Every player from Syracuse always gets bumped up the draft board because no one knows if they can play 1 on 1 defense, zone hides lots of deficiencies.
When was the last time a Syracuse alum played any defense in the NBA? Most GMs know this.

arch

Reaction Score
Yes I have watched him this year (though only in 4 games). He has decent mid-range game but by no-means elite or excellent.

It's absurd (and by this I mean Chad Ford is, if what you say about his definition is true) to say someone shooting outside the paint, but inside the three point line, has deep range. Most any analyst/enthusiast/casual fan will tell you that's mid-range. For that matter in the NBA, the college line is part of that mid-range shot. Roscoe doesn't have deep range. It's just absurd.

As to your question on Daniels versus Roscoe. I think Daniels has more offensive potential because he is a pretty solid shooter and can dribble better (neither are great). Roscoe brings one (possibly) elite skill in rebounding though. In the right system, either could contribute. In the wrong system, either will fail. Neither is a sure-fire star.
Which one would you like on UConn this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom