SG Hamidou Diallo (UConn Offer) | Page 57 | The Boneyard

SG Hamidou Diallo (UConn Offer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
HAMIDOU DIALLO, SG, PUTNAM SCIENCE ACADEMY, 2017: At the half, the box score read three points off of 1-of-7 shooting from the field, seven rebounds, two turnovers, and two fouls. With his team nearly knotted up, Diallo took over and quickly. He played with aggressiveness, showed off his elite athleticism at the basket, knocked down mid-range jumper near the baseline region, and was a menace out atop of the half-court press defense. Before it was all over with, Diallo saw his stat line read 30 points off of 10-of-17 shooting from the field, 11 rebounds, and three assists. Passion and intensity is never an issue with the New Yorker and with a 28-point second half in front of Kentucky head coach John Calipari, the 6-foot-6 wing continues to show that he is on the upward trajectory with his game who compares favorably to Toronto Raptors star guard DeMar DeRozan.

http://www.hoopseen.com/index.php/n...lassic-diallo-brown-bamba-dominate-at-day-two
The offer has to be on it's way real soon, you'd think.

Reaction Score
HAMIDOU DIALLO, SG, PUTNAM SCIENCE ACADEMY, 2017: At the half, the box score read three points off of 1-of-7 shooting from the field, seven rebounds, two turnovers, and two fouls. With his team nearly knotted up, Diallo took over and quickly. He played with aggressiveness, showed off his elite athleticism at the basket, knocked down mid-range jumper near the baseline region, and was a menace out atop of the half-court press defense. Before it was all over with, Diallo saw his stat line read 30 points off of 10-of-17 shooting from the field, 11 rebounds, and three assists. Passion and intensity is never an issue with the New Yorker and with a 28-point second half in front of Kentucky head coach John Calipari, the 6-foot-6 wing continues to show that he is on the upward trajectory with his game who compares favorably to Toronto Raptors star guard DeMar DeRozan.

http://www.hoopseen.com/index.php/n...lassic-diallo-brown-bamba-dominate-at-day-two
from what I have seen on some of the periscope simulcasts that Putnam provides--the DeRozan comparison is pretty much on the money. Seems like Cal is on this kid hard...like Gabriel the fact that we were on this kid really early and are local might not be enough when Cal and BBN come calling.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
from what I have seen on some of the periscope simulcasts that Putnam provides--the DeRozan comparison is pretty much on the money. Seems like Cal is on this kid hard...like Gabriel the fact that we were on this kid really early and are local might not be enough when Cal and BBN come calling.
We've had interest in Gabriel early, but didn't make him a priority until he blew up over the summer.

Diallo had been our No. 1 target for 2 years at this point, and KO has a rock solid history of closing on his No. 1s even when the UCLAs, Louisvilles and Syracuses of the world come calling.

I agree that UK is a bigger fish, but we're in a better spot here than we were with Gabriel.

H

huskymagic

Hamidou reminds me a lot of Derrick Jones same type of player and same size. He needs to improve his perimeter game as he dominates solely on athleticism and size at this point. It would be great to beat out the Squid for Diallo. He can hopefully be as good as Jeremy Lamb for us.

Reaction Score
I've seen him play 3 times this year. He's played one good half. I disagree with the article about his intensity. He chooses when to play hard.

He's more athletic & stronger than Lamb but isn't the offensive player Lamb was as a frosh but he has time.

Reaction Score
I've seen him play 3 times this year. He's played one good half. I disagree with the article about his intensity. He chooses when to play hard.

He's more athletic & stronger than Lamb but isn't the offensive player Lamb was as a frosh but he has time.

Interesting. Can you elaborate on the 5 "bad" halves?

Reaction Score
I thought he played hard throughout the Hoophall Game vs Commonwealth so I didn't see him take plays off. But here are my observations for what it is worth. He absolutely skies in transition and finishes with speed and authority with many highlight film plays. On the flip side, without benefit of a box score, I would bet he was 14 for 21 from the line, and many misses were quite off. There were some point blank misses that should have been 'and one'. Down the stretch in a close game he hit 3 straight 15' mid range jumpers but hadn't been able to hit a thing before that. The comparison to Jeremy Lamb would be the ability to play high above the rim, handle good enough for transition but not good enough to breakdown a set defense to get your shot. Lamb was a better spot up shooter but Diallo is the kind of player that takes it to the rim and could set a record for number of trips to the line, (hence the importance to shoot better from the line). The Derrick Jones comparison is interesting in that the superior athlete is trying to develop making deep shots. My guess is that Diallo is probably a 3 pt shooter in the low 30% range but I have no stat to back that up. When Roscoe Smith took a 3 I was okay with it but it wasn't a money shot, that's how I look at Diallo at the moment. As far as the raw material to be a superstar, he's got it. As far as being a superstar/savior already, in my opinion he needs to improve to be an 80% foul shooter, raise his percentage from deep to over 40%, and, play with a pure break down pass first point guard so those duties are not his. Putnam had others bring up the ball against relentless pressure and he took over from mid court or forecourt. I hope he wears a husky uniform.

Reaction Score
I thought he played hard throughout the Hoophall Game vs Commonwealth so I didn't see him take plays off. But here are my observations for what it is worth. He absolutely skies in transition and finishes with speed and authority with many highlight film plays. On the flip side, without benefit of a box score, I would bet he was 14 for 21 from the line, and many misses were quite off. There were some point blank misses that should have been 'and one'. Down the stretch in a close game he hit 3 straight 15' mid range jumpers but hadn't been able to hit a thing before that. The comparison to Jeremy Lamb would be the ability to play high above the rim, handle good enough for transition but not good enough to breakdown a set defense to get your shot. Lamb was a better spot up shooter but Diallo is the kind of player that takes it to the rim and could set a record for number of trips to the line, (hence the importance to shoot better from the line). The Derrick Jones comparison is interesting in that the superior athlete is trying to develop making deep shots. My guess is that Diallo is probably a 3 pt shooter in the low 30% range but I have no stat to back that up. When Roscoe Smith took a 3 I was okay with it but it wasn't a money shot, that's how I look at Diallo at the moment. As far as the raw material to be a superstar, he's got it. As far as being a superstar/savior already, in my opinion he needs to improve to be an 80% foul shooter, raise his percentage from deep to over 40%, and, play with a pure break down pass first point guard so those duties are not his. Putnam had others bring up the ball against relentless pressure and he took over from mid court or forecourt. I hope he wears a husky uniform.
Thanks for the report @Ricker - how was Mamadou?

Reaction Score
I don't think he's a lock to UConn, but you guys really need to stop taking what a recruit says/tweets at face value. We've seen this happen countless times where recruits say they aren't locks - even when everyone knows they are - to try to build drama for their announcement.

Again, not saying that's the case with Diallo, but that tweet is more than likely meaningless.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Recruitment is futile once Creighton offers.

Reaction Score
It doesn't matter who this team brings in as a recruit until a real leader emerges. We've seen it this year with great talent, but lack of an experienced leader.

Reaction Score
It doesn't matter who this team brings in as a recruit until a real leader emerges. We've seen it this year with great talent, but lack of an experienced leader.

Thanks Buzz Killington...

latest

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Adams. You can already see it. That kid wants to run the court.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Question for you older folks: how did you survive following recruiting in the pre-Internet area, without tweets from kids and insiders on message boards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom