SG Bruce Brown (Miami Commit) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

SG Bruce Brown (Miami Commit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Another crystal ball for UConn today.
Good to see it's from someone who has been at the Hoop Hall Classic all weekend. Like I posted above, there has been a lot of talk there about Brown reclassifying, so hopefully word is going around about Brown coming to UConn. Fingers crossed.

Reaction Score
The build, the look is very similar huh? Obviously needs to refine his jumper according to reports but looks like he can make some shots. I like the kid and hear he defends too, that's always a plus coming in to this program.
But can he make free throws? :)

Reaction Score
FYI In the video a few posts up.
#11 white is obviously Brown
#0 white is Tyrique Jones
#24 in white is Mathias
#22 blue is Enoch
#24 blue is Ajou Deng

I must say that in person the game seemed to have a fiercer flow than the selected clips depicted.

Reaction Score
Cousins with Jalen Adams really surprises me since I didn't even see them talk with each other when they played each other. At Hoophall today, some people that travel with the Brewster Academy team said that UConn was a done deal with Brown but the reclassification was an unknown to get him to Storrs next year. They brought the reclassification up. He is a high flying 6'4 but zero points came on actual shots. All his points are slashing drives a la T.Samuel. That's how he had 12 foul shots and missed 7, (2-3 misses were front ends of 1/1) In those slashing drives he lost the ball on occasion - just like Hamilton, Calhoun, Purvis, Samuel... He is an excellent player, but not a shooter, and not a point guard. He is a more athletic Samuel that misses more foul shots.

Karl Hobbs was at Hoophall during the 11am Brewster Game, Kevin Ollie showed up mid day and was there when I left at halftime of the last game. Danny Manning was there, Shaka Smart, and Calipari, (his son got a technical). Pervis Ellison coaches one of the teams today from Jersey, where his son is a 6'6 quality player. None of the high school aged kids around me had ever heard of Pervis or a Manning that wasn't a quarterback.

Vermont, (Brown's team), played Enoch and St Thomas More. I'll start a new thread related to Hoophall observations, but it was the first time I saw Enoch and I was pleasantly surprised. The poor stats he has had at times and his own statements that suggested he had a long way to go, had gotten my expectations low. He got 18 pts and seven rebounds, and some of each were spectacular throw downs. He moves real well. I haven't thought of a perfect comparable player, but Brook Sales comes to mind. He had good years with Nova.

Ollie was there for the Brewster game with his son.

Reaction Score
I know nothing about this kid but we have plenty of 6'4" guards who cannot dribble and have a streaky shot (from the ESPN blurb)... does this fill a need? Does his talent level exceed that of Purvis, TSam, Cassell, etc?

Yeah but TSam and Purvis are going to be juniors and Calhoun will be a senior.

Reaction Score
3for3 said:
I know nothing about this kid but we have plenty of 6'4" guards who cannot dribble and have a streaky shot (from the ESPN blurb)... does this fill a need? Does his talent level exceed that of Purvis, TSam, Cassell, etc?

Never assume that these write ups are accurate. The kids always show up with far more or far less skill than advertised. My guess is that if we get Brown, he'll be a role player or he'll be an immediate contributor. I like that he finishes strong at the rim. We need a big guard that can get to the rim and finish. I'm going to say that we will get this kid and that he'll leave us all wondering what we were worried about when his production blows that of Mack and Jones out of the water. That's our cycle over and over again.

Reaction Score
Brown is not Shabazz, but the situation is similar if he indeed reclassifies and joins the 2015 class under the radar (like Shabazz, ranked high in 2016, but wasn't expected to come early).

I saw him play live once in TX and I really liked what I saw - strong kid, ferocious competitor, very strong D, and good athleticism. I think the "re-fined" T-Sam comparison is somewhat accurate, but I look at him as being more of a sg than pg. He projects to be a much better scorer than T Sam and is far more athletic, he plays above the rim. He doesn't appear to the knockdown shooter we are looking for, but he would be a strong addition to this squad. I think he'd contirbute off the bench immediately next year.

Reaction Score
Brown is not Shabazz, but the situation is similar if he indeed reclassifies and joins the 2015 class under the radar (like Shabazz, ranked high in 2016, but wasn't expected to come early).

I saw him play live once in TX and I really liked what I saw - strong kid, ferocious competitor, very strong D, and good athleticism. I think the "re-fined" T-Sam comparison is somewhat accurate, but I look at him as being more of a sg than pg. He projects to be a much better scorer than T Sam and is far more athletic, he plays above the rim. He doesn't appear to the knockdown shooter we are looking for, but he would be a strong addition to this squad. I think he'd contirbute off the bench immediately next year.

I like the Dyson comparison from what I see also. His handle looks okay to me, not PG material but has something to work with for sure. As does his jumper, he will make shots.

Reaction Score
Anyone have info on the timeline/process involved with reclassifying, if maybe we could start to figure out a general range of dates we can start looking for an announcement?

Reaction Score
Anyone have info on the timeline/process involved with reclassifying, if maybe we could start to figure out a general range of dates we can start looking for an announcement?

20 minutes I hear ;)

Reaction Score
http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncb...ay-brown-considering-reclassification-to-2015

Brown, who publicly spoke about reclassifying for the first time last month, initially attributed the idea to his mother, Roberta Brown, who spoke with ESPN.com on Thursday.

“I’ve always said to him, since Day 1, that if he can do what needs to be done academically, then he could go,” she said, “He’s not a 17-year-old kid anymore, and he’s already mature for his age, but he needs to be ready academically and can’t take a second-hand seat, so he’s open to different options right now.”

Brown’s reclassification was originally linked to interest from UConn, which already holds a commitment from Jalen Adams (No. 24 in ESPN 100), a player who grew up in the same youth program as Brown and has common family ties as well. Indiana, VCU and Massachusetts have been visibly giving chase for Brown as well. Others, including Arizona, Texas Tech and Wake Forest are working hard to get involved.

The timing of the decision could come as soon as next month for Brown, who is planning to travel to Georgia to spend a week with his mother during a school break.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Saw the same thing, TCF. Could be huge for us. Wonder where he'd rank in the 2015 class if he's top 60 in the 2016 class.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Let's wrap up with this class with Brown, Carter and that big guy from Greece
Don't have enough scholarships to get everyone. We have at most 2 remaining. (assuming Amilo will not be a scholarship player next yr).

Personally I'd do Brown and the big man from Greece. (unless Stone breaks conventional wisdown and picks UConn)

Reaction Score
Let's wrap up with this class with Brown, Carter and that big guy from Greece
Georgios Papagiannis | Greece

This name should be familiar to some recruiting diehards, as Papagiannis played at Westtown School in Pennsylvania and for Team Takeover on the AAU circuit before signing with Panathinaikos last June. Papagiannis has an option in his contract to return to the United States this summer for college – although sources have indicated it’s unlikely. The 7-footer was a top-50 prospect in America and has first-round ability despite putting up modest numbers in international competitions. He’s reportedly being recruited by Connecticut, St. John’s, Kentucky, Temple and Arizona.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Can this kid shoot? Every shot was a lay up against rather lazy defense. Looks a lot like Sam Jr. Can't see where he is an improvement over Purvis. Can he shoot beyond two feet from the rim? A shooting guard has to be able to shoot the three ball. Traci Carter looks better. Can't see why Ollie would not play Adams as 2 with Carter or TSam at point. Add Purvis, TSam. Haven't even seen a pull up ten footer.
Any other tapes?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Can this kid shoot? Every shot was a rather lay up against rather lazy defense. Looks a lot like Sam Jr. Can't see where he is an improvement over Purvis. Can he shoot beyond two feet from the rim? A shooting guard has to be able to shoot the three ball.
Any other tapes?

No, he can't shoot from outside two feet. He obviously missed that day at kiddie basketball.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
No, he can't shoot from outside two feet. He obviously missed that day at kiddie basketball.
I only saw the one minute tape. Caught the two minute tape and was much more impressed. Still would like to see more range. But he looked good on the two minute tape.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Wait, isn't Bruce Jenner reclassifying? Would Brown play for Geno?

Seriously, is he as good as Carter?

Reaction Score
Wait, isn't Bruce Jenner reclassifying? Would Brown play for Geno?

Seriously, is he as good as Carter?
IMO they're pretty tough to compare, because they are completely different players. Carter is a true point, while Brown is more of a slashing 2-guard. I guess if you were going to put them head to head on a top 100 list or something like that, I would say they are pretty even, but Carter addresses a pressing need (ball handling) directly.

Reaction Score
Don't have enough scholarships to get everyone. We have at most 2 remaining. (assuming Amilo will not be a scholarship player next yr).

Personally I'd do Brown and the big man from Greece. (unless Stone breaks conventional wisdown and picks UConn)

I caught part of KO's radio show this week, and someone asked what he was looking for next season in terms of recruits. KO answered that he was looking for a play maker and a big man. didn't give much detail but said they were looking here and abroad for a big man. Looks like he intends to fill the 2 remaining slots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom