Seton Hall Post Game Thread | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Seton Hall Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
I wonder how much of a leash the coaches had tonight to go with their own game plan? I'm guessing not much based on the rotations and lack of DC in the final moments as a rim protector.
They don’t coach
They watch

Nothing changes
They never have any idea of what to do…

Reaction Score
Diarra has earned more playing time. I trust him more than anyone else.

Can’t believe I actually typed that.
At least Diarra doesn't walk the ball up-court, but his passes can be scary. Joey, who might pass up-court more, could be an occasional point guard??? Joey is better at setting up Clingan. That is a clear benefit. Newton gets stuck and takes much to long setting up the offense. He did score some in this game, but we need some penetration from him. Our offensive sets are too easily read and show no creativeness.

At this point we have to deal with our parts and make them work for most of the game. The first half was well played. By playing more zone, especially with Clingan in the game in the second half the end result would have been a win!
These recent losses show a disturbing repeat of opponent's penetration, two points at the rim, shooting foul shots or both. Why can the coaches see this???? Man to man isn't working well, too many guards are getting beat with their recovery resulting in fouls for their them or our bigs who then have to cover the mistake.

For my senior eyes, I didn't see the adjustments the coaches made or they were ineffective.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Why was UConn defending the 3 so tightly? We should have let Seton Hall take as many as they wanted. That team can’t shoot at all.

Winning on the road is hard as Xavier learned last night. Providence, who many on the board had anointed as Big East champion, lost its last two games, both on the road to good teams. It is ok to be mad about the St. John’s loss, but the board losing its collective spit over a 1 point loss on the road to a good Seton Hall team is silly.

Other than that, I thought UConn was OK, Seton Hall was home and just a little better last night. Basketball often comes down to just making a handful more good plays over the course of the game than your opponent. UConn needs to increase its PPP (points per possession) just a little bit, and decrease its opponent’s PPP just a little bit, and these close losses become 8 point wins. Let’s see what Hurley comes up with.

This board is freaking out because UConn is not dominating the Big East. UConn just isn’t good enough to dominate the league, so either get over it or pick a team like Kansas as your favorite.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Actually, Joey did it in the Georgetown game.

Yes, he's an unlikely choice for what you wrote, but it's also something that happened and can be pointed to. And if you find the implications of that disturbing, that's the next conversation to have. I certainly did write this to contradict you. You are much more right than wrong.

At this point, we simply gotta start where we are.
@ChocRaisins - I meant to write "I did NOT write this to contradict you"

Reaction Score
We need an Ndefo. Tough, no-nonsense lunch pail guy that doesn't get pushed around.

Reaction Score
Why was UConn defending the 3 so tightly? We should have let Seton Hall take as many as they wanted. That team can’t shoot at all.

Winning on the road is hard as Xavier learned last night. Providence, who many on the board had anointed as Big East champion, lost its last two games, both on the road to good teams. It is ok to be mad about the St. John’s loss, but the board losing its collective spit over a 1 point loss on the road to a good Seton Hall team is silly.

Other than that, I thought UConn was OK, Seton Hall was home and just a little better last night. Basketball often comes down to just making a handful more good plays over the course of the game than your opponent. UConn needs to increase its PPP (points per possession) just a little bit, and decrease its opponent’s PPP just a little bit, and these close losses become 8 point wins. Let’s see what Hurley comes up with.

This board is freaking out because UConn is not dominating the Big East. UConn just isn’t good enough to dominate the league, so either get over it or pick a team like Kansas as your favorite.

Good points, Nelson. We play in a league like this precisely so we can run a gauntlet of tough games. A stretch like the one we’ve just been through is what prepares a team for the tournament. A team like ours can just as easily turn it around and win 5 out of the next 6 as quickly as they lost 5 out of 6.

With regard to your comment about guarding the 3 tightly against a team that doesn’t shoot the 3 well, I think this team does that because it’s a matter of going to their strength to exploit an opponent’s weakness. Seton Hall came into this game, hitting 31% of their 3’s, which is bad. But our D held them to an even worse 19%. If they had shot the 3 at their normal rate, they would have hit 3 more from the arc. That would have been 9 more points and it wouldn’t have been a close game. So, guarding the 3 tightly instead of laying off those perimeter shooters, paid off.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Good points, Nelson. We play in a league like this precisely so we can run a gauntlet of tough games. A stretch like the one we’ve just been through is what prepares a team for the tournament. A team like ours can just as easily turn it around and win 5 out of the next 6 as quickly as they lost 5 out of 6.

With regard to your comment about guarding the 3 tightly against a team that doesn’t shoot the 3 well, I think this team does that because it’s a matter of going to their strength to exploit an opponent’s weakness. Seton Hall came into this game, hitting 31% of their 3’s, which is bad. But our D held them to an even worse 19%. If they had shot the 3 at their normal rate, they would have hit 3 more from the arc. That would have been 9 more points and it wouldn’t have been a close game. So, guarding the 3 tightly instead of laying off those perimeter shooters, paid off.

If UConn had not defended the 3 so tightly they could have fouled less and cut off penetration to the basket. SHU's guards are much more dangerous off the dribble penetration than they are chucking 3's.

Reaction Score
1) Yeah Sanogo has to do better. Try to help with the boxout that Andre was attempting.

2) This angle just makes me so annoyed about how unlucky it was. The shot literally drops straight down directly into the hands of the only player on their team on the inside of 4 of our guys. Even if it's a long rebound, there's only 2 seconds left and there may not have been enough time to even get a decent shot off.
Comically inexcusable

Reaction Score
At least Diarra doesn't walk the ball up-court, but his passes can be scary. Joey, who might pass up-court more, could be an occasional point guard??? Joey is better at setting up Clingan. That is a clear benefit. Newton gets stuck and takes much to long setting up the offense. He did score some in this game, but we need some penetration from him. Our offensive sets are too easily read and show no creativeness.

At this point we have to deal with our parts and make them work for most of the game. The first half was well played. By playing more zone, especially with Clingan in the game in the second half the end result would have been a win!
These recent losses show a disturbing repeat of opponent's penetration, two points at the rim, shooting foul shots or both. Why can the coaches see this???? Man to man isn't working well, too many guards are getting beat with their recovery resulting in fouls for their them or our bigs who then have to cover the mistake.

For my senior eyes, I didn't see the adjustments the coaches made or they were ineffective.
What is sad is that even if you Frankensteined Newton (driving ability), Joey (outside shot, passing), and Diarra (energy and defense) together, you’d still have what should only be a backup in a league like the NBE. No point in including Alleyne in that equation at this point.

Reaction Score
What is sad is that even if you Frankensteined Newton (driving ability), Joey (outside shot, passing), and Diarra (energy and defense) together, you’d still have what should only be a backup in a league like the NBE. No point in including Alleyne in that equation at this point.
This is the hard truth. We don't have any actual answers here.

Joey C is not good enough to start at pg for us. When his 3's don't fall he doesn't contribute offensively (he turns it over as frequently as he has a nice assist) and he gets routinely cooked on defense. Diarra can't shoot and just looks like he can drive because of how bad Newton and Joey are at that. He's also not as good as everyone thinks on D, again just looks good as he's the best of a bad bunch. Newton is probably the most talented but his two options are 1. 3 pointer or 2. slow drive to the rim and hope to get fouled. He's also putting in half an effort on D.

AJax can't play guard because he can't really play anything right now. Everyone in the building knows he can't shoot, he doesn't even pretend to, which means even though he does have good vision it doesn't matter because he's telegraphing everything. He's got more turnovers than assists. He can't get to the rim, can't really shoot, etc. Defensively he's more intent on showing off his hops than actually playing smart D.

The real problem here- we're counting on an incoming freshman (albeit a highly ranked one) who seems like more of a combo guard and that's about it. We could go back to the portal well again but that's a tough pull with a top ten pg coming in.

Castle looks like a fantastic player. It may be imperative for DH's future at UConn that he's exactly what we need next year.

Reaction Score

Where do all our misses at the rim figure in this????

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
AJax can't play guard because he can't really play anything right now. Everyone in the building knows he can't shoot, he doesn't even pretend to, which means even though he does have good vision it doesn't matter because he's telegraphing everything. He's got more turnovers than assists. He can't get to the rim, can't really shoot, etc. Defensively he's more intent on showing off his hops than actually playing smart D.
It's fine to complain. There's plenty to complain about. But making crap up out of thin air is not a good look.

First, if Jax "telegraphed" everything, then why the hell can't Sanogo anticipate and actually catch his passes.

Second, how does someone average 4.6 assists per game and only 1.8 turnovers per game and have "more turnovers than assists".

Really stupid post.

Reaction Score
I will add that it doesn’t help that apparently playing UConn is Kadari Richmond’s Super Bowl. The guy isn’t that good, but he torches us for 20 points every time we play him. Look back at his previous games and he’s putting up 4 points, 8 points, etc.

Reaction Score
It's fine to complain. There's plenty to complain about. But making crap up out of thin air is not a good look.

First, if Jax "telegraphed" everything, then why the hell can't Sanogo anticipate and actually catch his passes.

Second, how does someone average 4.6 assists per game and only 1.8 turnovers per game and have "more turnovers than assists".

Really stupid post.
thanks for your constructive feedback.

You're right, saying he has more turnovers than assists was hyperbole. Doesn't change the fact that he's a complete zero on offense right now and his passing has become predictable and overrated.

Sanogo can't catch his passes because 1. he throws half of them too hard and 2. Sanogo has hands like feet.

For a guy that can't score, he's not a good enough passer to be garnering playing time.

have a great day!

Reaction Score
If UConn had not defended the 3 so tightly they could have fouled less and cut off penetration to the basket. SHU's guards are much more dangerous off the dribble penetration than they are chucking 3's.

Yes, and they could have given up more 3’s. As bad as they are from 3, Seton Hall doesn’t normally shoot 19% from out there as they did last night. So, you pick your poison. If you back of the 2-point line to cut off penetration, you leave them open for a better look on 3’s and they probably make more of those. Fouling didn’t hurt up us that badly. SH is a bad FT shooting team. True to form, they hit only 68% of their FTs, so there were a lot of misses after those fouls.

What really hurt last night were the 18 turnovers vs only 9 for SH. If they’re going to fix something, that would be my top priority because they’ve committed between 16-21 turnovers in 4 of their 5 losses. Turnovers are killing them.

Reaction Score
I'll state the obvious, if you can't win on the road in the Big East you are done.

We are 1-4 on the road. (W vs BU and L’s to X, MU, PC, SH)

Xavier = 3-1 (W’s vs GT, SJ, VU & L to DP)
Marquette = 2-2 (W’s vs VU, SJ and L’s to PC, X)
Providence = 3-2 (W’s vs SH, BU, DP and L’s to CU, MU)
Creighton = 1-3 (W vs BU and L’s to MU, UConn, X)
Seton Hall = 2-3 (W’s vs GT, DP and L’s to X, MU, CU)
St. John’s = 1-3 (W vs UConn and L’s to VU, PC, SH)
Villanova = 1-3 (W vs GT and L’s to UConn, DP, BU)
Butler = 1-3 (W vs GT and L’s to CU, SH, SJ)
DePaul = 0-2 (L’s to CU, BU)
Georgetown = no wins

So, are you saying that it is obvious that everyone in the Big East is done? Or do you see someone who has already shown they can win on the road in this league?

Actually the place where you really need to win in this league is MSG.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Of the 20 games, Alleyne started 8, Jackson started 12.

I'm not saying Alleyne should start more but some guys might just have trouble getting it going from the bench. Between Joey C, Diarra,
and Alleyne, maybe 1 or 2 of them need more minutes to get into the flow. Depth is great but the flip side is each player gets fewer minutes. 9 players getting significant minutes might be too many.

Joey C - I'd like him to get more but he seems able to turn it on in an instant. So between Diarra and Alleyne, maybe one needs to get more PT in order to make him more effective. Just spit-balling here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom