September UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

September UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Paige reminds me of Diana, but some of her ankle-breaking and no-look passes remind me of MoJeff's high school highlights.

I have not seen high school videos of either Taurasi or Jefferson. Because you are an avid follower of UConn and, after all, the "Voice of Reason," I accept your testimony. Certainly the ankle breaking moves I would associate with Jefferson just based on her college career.

However, from day one Taurasi fired no look passes from anywhere, any distance, in a UConn uniform. That actually caused a little problem, as even the future Olympians on the team had to learn to expect those passes coming to cut down on the turnovers. On the other hand, Jefferson did not really display her no look repertoire until her Junior year, and even then with more restraint than Taurasi showed on day one.

This does not necessarily surprise me, given your testimony. Even though Culmo at the time could be heard saying how Taurasi's teammates were going to have to adjust, I can imagine Auriemma's instructions for the no look pass being much like that of the dunk: "If you do it, you better make it!" I also can imagine that Taurasi's personality leads her to assume she is going to make it every time and, like Culmo, expects her teammates to come up to speed, while Jefferson may have toned things down becasue of Auriemma.

Yet I still wonder. Even the brash Taurasi could not have begun those cross court no look passes once her college career began; she must have done them in high school as well. Is it that you have not seen high school videos of Taurasi either? Or is it that Jefferson toned them back by a huge amount when she first started at UConn? Or is it just something in the style of Bueckers that reminds you more of Jefferson's than Taurasi's high school days?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I have not seen high school videos of either Taurasi or Jefferson. Because you are an avid follower of UConn and, after all, the "Voice of Reason," I accept your testimony. Certainly the ankle breaking moves I would associate with Jefferson just based on her college career.

However, from day one Taurasi fired no look passes from anywhere, any distance, in a UConn uniform. That actually caused a little problem, as even the future Olympians on the team had to learn to expect those passes coming to cut down on the turnovers. On the other hand, Jefferson did not really display her no look repertoire until her Junior year, and even then with more restraint than Taurasi showed on day one.

This does not necessarily surprise me, given your testimony. Even though Culmo at the time could be heard saying how Taurasi's teammates were going to have to adjust, I can imagine Auriemma's instructions for the no look pass being much like that of the dunk: "If you do it, you better make it!" I also can imagine that Taurasi's personality leads her to assume she is going to make it every time and, like Culmo, expects her teammates to come up to speed, while Jefferson may have toned things down becasue of Auriemma.

Yet I still wonder. Even the brash Taurasi could not have begun those cross court no look passes once her college career began; she must have done them in high school as well. Is it that you have not seen high school videos of Taurasi either? Or is it that Jefferson toned them back by a huge amount when she first started at UConn? Or is it just something in the style of Bueckers that reminds you more of Jefferson's than Taurasi's high school days?
I've seen very little of Diana's HS videos. That was practically in the Dark Ages.

Several people are comparing Paige to Diana. I can see it in the ability, swagger, and trash talking. Dee was a little bigger and stronger, but the similarities are clear.

What surprised me was that Paige's videos reminded me of Mo's THESA days. She looked like a Harlem Globetrotter in high school. She made circus shots, blew by people, broke ankles, and dished no-look passes. Paige didn't look quite as quick, but there were clear similarities. That was a new realization for me. To answer your question directly, yes, I would say that Mo toned down her approach under Geno. I recall Geno saying she needed to harness her speed during her freshman year.

Here's a little bit of Mo:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Do we know if any official visits are planned for the fall? Do we know id Edwards or Cardoso are planning visits?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Do we know when Cardoso will be visiting?

No date that I'm aware of. Her visit to South Carolina isn't until late October so my guess is around that time.

Reaction Score
No date that I'm aware of. Her visit to South Carolina isn't until late October so my guess is around that time.
Would be nice to get her on campus for First Night! Hopefully the weather cooperates and she is here for one of those picturesque New England fall weekends.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Would be nice to get her on campus for First Night! Hopefully the weather cooperates and she is here for one of those picturesque New England fall weekends.

Being one week prior to her visit to SC, that sounds as good a time as any. Apparently, there are logistical issues involved as she plans on bringing her relatives from Brazil with her.

Reaction Score

not exactly sure why would Cardoso would want to play behind Boston who's also limited to the low post................at least she'd be able to play alongside the more agile ONO who could move to the four at times...............

Reaction Score
not exactly sure why would Cardoso would want to play behind Boston who's also limited to the low post......at least she'd be able to play alongside the more agile ONO who could move to the four at times.....
From what I’ve seen of Boston, Cardoso might not necessarily play behind her. Not impressed with Boston’s motor.

Reaction Score
Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Yep, it will be the McDonogh school in Owings Mills, Maryland. By the way, their high school girls' lacrosse team had not lost a game in about in 9 seasons. They had their streak snapped at 198 games by Notre Dame Prep on May 11, 2018. This article about their dominance has some familiar themes in it. This ends the high jack. I promise.;)

How McDonogh girls lacrosse became the most unbeatable team in high school sports history

Regarding the BTW, I follow girl's lacrosse quite a bit (because both my daughters played) and McDonogh is, indeed, spectacular with the run they've had. Not suprisingly, they produce almost D1-ready laxers who contribute in their freshman years and lead by their second. Two such players -- Savannah Buchanan and Andy Aldive -- are All-Americans for the Irish Women's Lacrosse team. Aldive is a whiz at faceoffs.

Reaction Score
Lattimore is no longer considering UConn after receiving an offer this summer:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member