September recruiting thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

September recruiting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
when did I write that? Who I think will be better when their college careers are over tho? Kiki

You original post isn't really clear but seems to indicate that Rice is currently better at things than Westbrook.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
no boston is the best player in 2019 ...
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. IMO, Jones came up bigger on the biggest stage. In the national semifinal between Stanford & SC, Jones was 11/14 while Boston, who missed a bunny at the buzzer that would have sent SC to the championship, was only 5/14.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. IMO, Jones came up bigger on the biggest stage. In the national semifinal between Stanford & SC, Jones was 11/14 while Boston, who missed a bunny at the buzzer that would have sent SC to the championship, was only 5/14.
Coming up bigger on the biggest stage doesn't make you the better player because you are looking at a single game. If that were the case Caitlin Clarke might be considered a better player than Paige because she outscored when the two met in the tournament. Boston was First Team AP All American last year, Haley Jones was Honorable mention. The AP selects 3 AA teams and Ashley Owusu who is also class of 2019 was 3rd team AA.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Coming up bigger on the biggest stage doesn't make you the better player because you are looking at a single game. If that were the case Caitlin Clarke might be considered a better player than Paige because she outscored when the two met in the tournament. Boston was First Team AP All American last year, Haley Jones was Honorable mention. The AP selects 3 AA teams and Ashley Owusu who is also class of 2019 was 3rd team AA.

Agreed. But Jones plays in a Stanford system that doles out lots of PT to many talented players throughout the regular season. During the Pac-12 conference championship and throughout the big games during the NCAA tournament, Jones role was elevated in terms of minutes, scoring and leadership. In some ways, Jones emergence as the MOP during the Big Dance was reminiscent of Stewie.

As I stated, everyone is entitled to their opinion. While stats & AA recognition are great, I’ll take the player that delivers in the clutch during the biggest games. For me that’s Haley Jones.

Reaction Score
if championship performances is what makes the best player then Haley Jones shoulda been poy over Paige because Paige didn't make the final

Reaction Score
I agree. Also don't forget Kiki's friendship with Saylor goes way back. Kiki played with Saylor on the Fairfax Stars and the U16 FIBA champs.

Kiki also played with Ayanna Patterson on the U 18 3X3 team! Gold Metal teammate.
So that could counter balance the Janiah Barker connection ( also 3 X 3)
no?? That said, I would like DelRosairo ( sorry about the spelling ), and
eventually another BIG like the lady, C. Toomey, from Penna. Time will tell!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Newer subscription-based recruiting outlet has released '22 and '23 class lists in recent days. Can at least say they didn't copy from the others. Lots of eyebrow raisers in '23.

Williams, Toomey, Scott, Watkins, Shade 1-5. Kitts #91

UConn POI: 1-8, 12, 15, 16, 24, 32, 33, 39, 42, 55, 59, 72, 91
Rankings - Jr All-Star Basketball
:eek: I have a vague recollection that someone predicted that Toomey was going to make a run at #1 in the class before it's all said and done. Booker is ranked too and Kitts being ranked at 91 defies belief.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Not sure if this goes here but Fox sports is posting I would guess for TV ratings. Start of season getting a little closer

Not counting non Americans like Aaliyah and Nika?

Anyway makes a good banner.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The initial question was whether Boston was the best player in the Class of 2019, not whether Jones is better than Paige.
No... The "original" opinion was that you could not always rely on HS ranking to project who the better player & specifically when comparing Kiki to Evina using Aliyah Boston as an example who turned out to be the best player in HS class of 2019 and was not ranked #1. All of which was appropriate for this thread because it was about the recruiting of Kiki Rice. It was your post that invoked both Haley Jones and a suggested a "personal" criteria of big players in big moments which prompted @jchuskie post. Players can't have big moments if they don't get recruited and to @jchuskie point, never get the opportunity to be on a big stage. Many of these BY threads take a detour, but be careful not to direct others about taking detours when they are only following your lead. In an attempt to get back on track I think Kiki is coming to UCONN. U?

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
That could change with better shooters/scorers around her.
That’s true. I think Geno would be very pleased to have a point guard who can bring the ball up (under duress if necessary), and put it where it needs to be. If/when a player is in rhythm and is hot, you want the ball in her hands. It’s not going to be the same player every game.

One of my former coaches once told us that when we have the ball, he did not care who scored. He said he didn’t have a favorite player. He just wanted points on the board each time we had possession. I think most coaches feel that way. If Ducharme scores 35 one game, and Azzi scores 35 the next, you think Geno will be disappointed? All 5 starters are not going to have a hot hand every game.

That’s why a player can go 9 of 10 from the field today, and 1 for 10 the next game. We are stacked with players that can/will score. Take each game one at a time, and play it by ear. 4 minutes into the game will tell you who has the hot hand that game. Out of the 14 players on roster, all we need is for 3 of them to be in sync on any given day. I feel real good about this team. They’re going to be fun to watch all year.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Someone did the BY a great favor and put together this highlight package of Olivia Olson just passing the basketball. Olson is already an elite passer and athlete. We did not get to see much of her passing at USA basketball U16 because she was playing the SF position. All the numbers from the U16 are too gaudy to draw any meaningful conclusions but Olson played very well considering she was one of the youngest on the team and the only starter from class of 2024. Olson's future IMO is not as a SF but as an elite play making lead guard, I hope that future is at UCONN.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Glad she is catching on. I posted last month that she reminded me of Paige when she was younger, a player I would love to see in a Husky uniform. There are a few videos of her on utube, If I knew how to post them here I would, but alas I am ignorant about such things. Look up Ms. O Olson you won't be sorry. :cool:

Reaction Score
Have you watched the video highlights on Olivia Olsen? 6'0" ,class of
2924. I could see some aspects of E Westbrook, P. Bueckers, Nika
Muhl, and some A. Griffin. I would like to see her together with
Milaylah Williams. She is from Minnesota, a distant relative of LUTE?
( I made that one up, i.e. Lute Olson, for the Arizona Wildcat fans out there ).

Reaction Score
The initial question was whether Boston was the best player in the Class of 2019, not whether Jones is better than Paige.
Dude, surprised you are posting to this thread. You are generally factual and analytic and this is such an ill defined question. Is "best" most valuable, most skilled, highest contribution, etc.? Does it relate to the regular season, playoffs, or both? Seems like more of a click bait question.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
No... The "original" opinion was that you could not always rely on HS ranking to project who the better player & specifically when comparing Kiki to Evina using Aliyah Boston as an example who turned out to be the best player in HS class of 2019 and was not ranked #1. All of which was appropriate for this thread because it was about the recruiting of Kiki Rice. It was your post that invoked both Haley Jones and a suggested a "personal" criteria of big players in big moments which prompted @jchuskie post. Players can't have big moments if they don't get recruited and to @jchuskie point, never get the opportunity to be on a big stage. Many of these BY threads take a detour, but be careful not to direct others about taking detours when they are only following your lead. In an attempt to get back on track I think Kiki is coming to UCONN. U?
Yes to your inquiry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc