September non-UConn recruiting thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

September non-UConn recruiting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score

Terrific grab by Virginia, I believe she visited TN, Baylor and one other school recently

I loved Tina Thompson as a player, matter of a fact she was my favorite WNBA player during her time as a Comet, but she was a disaster for UVA.

I'm happy to see that UVA is heading to becoming a good program again!

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I loved Tina Thompson as a player, matter of a fact she was my favorite WNBA player during her time as a Comet, but she was a disaster for UVA.

I'm happy to see that UVA is heading to becoming a good program again!
One of Thompson's (many) failings was her inability to attract players from Virginia and/or traditional UVA scouting areas. Signing local resident Sam Brunelle out of the portal and successfully recruiting Mo Johnson are solid first steps in trying to establish a footprint. If Sam and Mo can produce for Coach Mox, that will only help. Good luck to all three!

Reaction Score
One of Thompson's (many) failings was her inability to attract players from Virginia and/or traditional UVA scouting areas. Signing local resident Sam Brunelle out of the portal and successfully recruiting Mo Johnson are solid first steps in trying to establish a footprint. If Sam and Mo can produce for Coach Mox, that will only help. Good luck to all three!
UVA has the potential to be a powerhouse. The academics there are incredible and Charlottesville is a great college town.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Coach Mox has also received Olivia McGhee's verbal who is from Mineral, VA but is playing for IMG Academy. So, she's doing work. Just needs someone to play in the paint.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Virginia hasn't really been good/average in women's hoops since Dawn Staley graduated back in the early 90's. I'd be curious to know how many Sweet Sixteens they've made in the last 30 years; can't be more than one or two. So, before they can become a "powerhouse" program (again), they first have to return to being a good/average program.

When it comes to women's athletic programs as a whole, I'm just not sure UVa has made the (financial) commitment that other programs in the ACC have made over the last several decades. They have not been good at hoops, volleyball, or softball. They won a national title in swimming recently. I believe they've been fairly good in tennis and soccer. I don't follow lacrosse or field hockey, so maybe they excel in those sports.

Reaction Score
I couldn’t be happier with what coach Mox has done so far. She even did a chat with fans recently and outlined her approach and goals (to the best of my knowledge, Tina never reached out like that). Said she had multiple power five head coaching offers, but UVA was the one she hoped for (she grew up pulling for UVA). Shared some of her practice tactics and her values - reminded me a lot of coach Geno and CD’s approach.

She also indicated that she was a pretty high level recruit in HS, but multiple knee surgeries (I think she’s had 6 total) resulted in playing at a mid-major. She’s 6’ tall with really long arms and indicated she could dunk as a freshman in HS.

It was a very fun and educational session. This Uconn/UVA fan is thrilled!

Reaction Score
Virginia hasn't really been good/average in women's hoops since Dawn Staley graduated back in the early 90's. I'd be curious to know how many Sweet Sixteens they've made in the last 30 years; can't be more than one or two. So, before they can become a "powerhouse" program (again), they first have to return to being a good/average program.

When it comes to women's athletic programs as a whole, I'm just not sure UVa has made the (financial) commitment that other programs in the ACC have made over the last several decades. They have not been good at hoops, volleyball, or softball. They won a national title in swimming recently. I believe they've been fairly good in tennis and soccer. I don't follow lacrosse or field hockey, so maybe they excel in those sports.
Agree that we have to become good again 1st. Debbie Ryan did have some good teams post Dawn. Joanne Boyle did as well. Just not great. I think TIna is more of the anomaly in terms of WBB performance.

UVA is excellent in women’s soccer (their coach is on the USA national team as well), tennis and swimming. Volleyball recently went thru some horrible times, but seems to be improving. Softball has been bad, but recently added a new coach and new stadium and showed improvement this past season. Overall I think UVA, and Carla Williams, are very committed to women’s athletics.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I think UVa needs to get @triaddukefan 's permission before they become a powerhouse in the ACC. There's already a few other teams he needs to worry about, might not be willing to accept another.

Ok, lemme address a few things. UVA was the first WBB team I rooted for as a youth. I've said on here that the ACC is better off with a strong UVA program. They are a top 6 program in terms of fan support within the ACC. It would be wonderful if they return to the top tier of the ACC.

That being said... while it would be great if they return to the top ranks of the ACC it would be great only if they are behind Duke and ahead of that school in Chapel Hill. I wouldn't mind seeing them push ND further down on the ladder (no disrespect to the Irish). I would hope they would let Duke get the top recruits from the DMV... and they can fight with Maryland and other schools for the rest :D

After Staley left, they were still a Top 10-20 team until 2000... and they reached a few Elite 8's and Sweet 16's in that period. There was a stretch from 2008-10 where they were a top 25 program with some players who got drafted into the WNBA. Monica Wright was the #2 pick in the 2010 draft. Lyndra Lyttle and Sharnee Zoll were other draftees. They were a #4 seed in 2008 and lost a OT thriller to in-state rival ODU that denied them a spot in the Sweet 16. (They would have played UConn here in Greensboro). The next year they were a #5 seed and lost to the #4 seed Cal. They haven't been heard from since. :oops:

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Banghart was in Ottawa to visit Capital Courts. My guess is that this could be a home visit for Prosper. The balance of the roster isn't of the level she's been recruiting from what I know.

The only exception would be a 6'5" post, Hannah Mills-Watson but she would be a project in comparison to what is on the UNC roster.

Reaction Score
I couldn’t be happier with what coach Mox has done so far. She even did a chat with fans recently and outlined her approach and goals (to the best of my knowledge, Tina never reached out like that). Said she had multiple power five head coaching offers, but UVA was the one she hoped for (she grew up pulling for UVA). Shared some of her practice tactics and her values - reminded me a lot of coach Geno and CD’s approach.

She also indicated that she was a pretty high level recruit in HS, but multiple knee surgeries (I think she’s had 6 total) resulted in playing at a mid-major. She’s 6’ tall with really long arms and indicated she could dunk as a freshman in HS.

It was a very fun and educational session. This Uconn/UVA fan is thrilled!

Sad story about her HS years. She rebounded though and should be able to rebuild. I hope the school gives her a nice budget.
Didn't Geno have an ass. job there?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Not sure what this is all about . . .

It’s the latest tripe from some of the Tennessee fans led by their pied piper. Apparently opposing coaches are going negative on Tennessee with recruits because they fear the return of Tennessee to elite status. No specifics exactly who is saying what — has there ever been? — but it’s out there! I guess that includes Vic, Mulkey and whoever else is recruiting Tenn’s remaining targets. Geno is spared this time.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
Oh my. Maria once again making baseless claims without any supporting evidence. What it shows me is that Harper is failing miserably at high school recruiting, just like she did at NC State. It sounds more like sour grapes to me. Could it be that recruits just don’t like coach harpers personality or maybe there is something about her coaching style these freshman recruits aren’t buying into. They also might not like the platoon type of sub system Harper likes to use during games. There are a number of things rival coaches could easily use to sway recruits from going to Tennessee without having to get negative. I also have to think that Harper was ok with Maria posting this crap which says a lot about how Harper is having a hissy fit because the recruiting process isn’t going the way she wants it.

One more thing..if Harper does in fact lose out on all those 2023 recruiting targets it will be a colossal recruiting failure and not because of negative recruiting tactics, it’s because she couldn’t close the deal. Let the excuses commence

Last edited:

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
In that tweet, if you click on the @MarchMadnessWBB link it goes to a twitter account where someone from there spent some time at Texas yesterday interviewing players and coaches. So, thanks for directing folks to learn more about Texas, Maria! :p

Last edited:

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Oh my. Maria once again making baseless claims without any supporting evidence. What it shows me is that Harper is failing miserably at high school recruiting, just like she did at NC State. It sounds more like sour grapes to me. Could it be that recruits just don’t like coach harpers personality or maybe there is something about her coaching style these freshman recruits aren’t buying into. They also might not like the platoon type of sub system Harper likes to use during games. There are a number of things rival coaches could easily use to sway recruits from going to Tennessee without having to get negative. I also have to think that Harper was ok with Maria posting this crap which says a lot about how Harper is having a hissy fit because the recruiting process isn’t going the way she wants it.

One more thing..if Harper does in fact lose out on all those 2023 recruiting targets it will be a colossal recruiting failure and not because of negative recruiting tactics, it’s because she couldn’t close the deal. Let the excuses commence
Her recruiting was something that fans brought up prior to her arrival. I don’t keep up with their recruiting but she did really well in the portal so maybe that’s where she goes if she can’t always get the HS players she wants. I like Harper. She seems to be doing a great job.

Negative recruiting is just part of it and UCONN is no stranger to that especially now as recruits are being told Geno will retire soon. It’s a dark world out there in recruiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom