September 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

September 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
All of this emphasizes the necessity of a program evaluating prospects on their own, and make their own assessments of talent, potential and program fit. The rankings are "fun" for fans to look at and argue about, but ultimately they mean very little.

Reaction Score
If you keep refreshing, maybe Azzi will drop out of the #1 spot and Saylor will drop out of the top 100. At the end of the day does it really matter that much the rankings of the recruits you got and how they are ranked by such and such service? You are happy with who you recruited and that's all it matters.

Reaction Score
If you keep refreshing, maybe Azzi will drop out of the #1 spot and Saylor will drop out of the top 100. At the end of the day does it really matter that much the rankings of the recruits you got and how they are ranked by such and such service? You are happy with who you recruited and that's all it matters.

For UConn, yeah. You can be happy with who you recruited because you can absolutely trust Geno's abiliity to evaluate and close the deal. The rest of us don't have that luxury. Okay, maybe we Gamecocks have that luxury, be we fans aren't that confident yet. Thus, a little hype like this cheers our spirit.

Reaction Score
For UConn, yeah. You can be happy with who you recruited because you can absolutely trust Geno's abiliity to evaluate and close the deal. The rest of us don't have that luxury. Okay, maybe we Gamecocks have that luxury, be we fans aren't that confident yet. Thus, a little hype like this cheers our spirit.

BTW Has the AP delivered the national championship trophy yet?

Reaction Score
No. But the banner will fly.

Just wondering since UConn was the AP No 1 in a few years going into the NCAA's when they didn't win the title. Geno is still waiting for the trophies from those years. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Just wondering since UConn was the AP No 1 in a few years going into the NCAA's when they didn't win the title. Geno is still waiting for the trophies from those years. :rolleyes:

Since champions were crowned during those few years, UConn was not number one in the final polls, whereas . . .. But no, we were not the champs when the dust settled even though we were number 1. :D

Reaction Score
Really? You don't find that just a little embarrassing? :confused:

SC is just not a classy program so they have no level of shame and likely will fly that dumb flag and try to convince themselves that they were the best.
You just can't expect UCONN level class from programs way way behind us.
You can't expect a Chevy to perform like a Porsche. Two entirely different levels.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
SC is just not a classy program so they have no level of shame and likely will fly that dumb flag and try to convince themselves that they were the best.
You can't expect a Chevy to perform like a Porsche. Two entirely different levels.
Please guy. He's a visitor and said nothing negative about our Husky's. Everything will shake out in the end anyway.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Raven Johnson at #2 is just absurd!

Is it really absurd? She’s has been playing excellent basketball the last two summers and her High School squad has a record of 91-4 and has won 3 State Championships(7A Georgia is arguably the toughest classification in the country) since she’s been on the squad! I personally would have Rivers ranked ahead of her, but it isn’t absurd at all to have her ranked that high.

Reaction Score
Is it really absurd? She’s has been playing excellent basketball the last two summers and her High School squad has a record of 91-4 and has won 3 State Championships(7A Georgia is arguably the toughest classification in the country) since she’s been on the squad! I personally would have Rivers ranked ahead of her, but it isn’t absurd at all to have her ranked that high.

Yet she got cut from Team USA u16 team, so I guess I am not the only evaluator that thinks this way. Yes, it is absolutely absurd to have Johnson ranked a #2, she is deserving of a mid-teens ranking.

Reaction Score
Yet she got cut from Team USA u16 team, so I guess I am not the only evaluator that thinks this way. Yes, it is absolutely absurd to have Johnson ranked a #2, she is deserving of a mid-teens ranking.

Tons of great kids get cut from the USA teams so I’m not sure that’s a great point to lean back on. You’re and evaluator now? Didn’t know. Everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinions and I personally would have Rivers higher than Johnson. I maybe a little biased but I think Johnson is definitely top 10.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
May of 2019.
"Raven Johnson was named as one of 18 finalists for the 2019 USA Women’s U16 National Team-the only applicant athlete at trials named as a finalist."
That was 20 months ago if you stay determined to rehash that data. This is one publication's "opinion" which caries about the same weight as yours. On second though-maybe not!

Reaction Score
Tons of great kids get cut from the USA teams so I’m not sure that’s a great point to lean back on. You’re and evaluator now? Didn’t know. Everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinions and I personally would have Rivers higher than Johnson. I maybe a little biased but I think Johnson is definitely top 10.

True, but not No 2 ranked "great kids".

Reaction Score
I have a Porsche, but have you seen the new Corvette? Wow!!

Attachments

• AB8A91BB-8792-420A-858A-F458BB46B55F.png
    AB8A91BB-8792-420A-858A-F458BB46B55F.png
    2 MB · Views: 160

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

True, but not No 2 ranked "great kids".
:eek:Actually it happens...... Moriah Jefferson got cut three times in 2009 (U16) , 2010 (U17) & 2011(U19) when she was the #2 player in the class.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

The aristocracy never considers the nouveau riche "classy. And that's pretty much the way it is between UConn and SCar.

Do I mind that your fanbase considers us to be vulgar climbers? No, because that's just the way it is. You're pretty much right that we have no level of shame. Nevertheless, we will continue to Crow. It's what Gamecocks do. Chevy/Porsche? Okay by me.

The only thing I disagree with is that we are trying to "convince [our]selves that [we] were the best." Nope. Our team convinced our fanbase that they were the best. Can you convince us otherwise by saying we aren't classy? No. We'll wear the "classless" label if you want.

Reaction Score
Since champions were crowned during those few years, UConn was not number one in the final polls, whereas . . .. But no, we were not the champs when the dust settled even though we were number 1. :D

Just having some fun here. The fact is that NCAA trophies are awarded to the tournament winner and that has nothing to do with the regular season. The AP's final ranking comes out before the tournament so if 2020 is to be awarded based on regular seasons and conference tournaments then they should do it every year in addition to the NCAA tournament trophy. I'll support S Car's 2020 AP championship on the day the AP sends UConn trophies for all their AP titles.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Extended clips from last weekend's AAU tourney:

If this young lady continues to grow and develop, she's going to be an "elite' player for for sure, regardless of the program she chooses to play for. She's already 6-2, and may not be through growing. If you're a coach, how would you like to have 7 of her? :rolleyes:

1600287313532.png

She appears to having her shot blocking technique and timing down pat. She blocks shots WITHOUT fouling. That is a talent she'll take to the next level. Not saying that I wouldn't like to see her at UConn, But I see her more at a program like Baylor or South Carolina. Remember her name. Ranked #3 in her class, right behind UConn commit Isuneh "ICE" Brady. I have a feeling we'll be reading about her frequently in the near future.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Who was the coach that cut her? Question their judgement not Moriah's ability.
USA basketball coaches are intentionally not involved in the selection of the team members. It was 3 different selection committees that decided that Moriah was not worthy. Jen Rizzotti was head coach and and Sue Semrau an assistant for U19. To be fair you may be remembering college Moriah as opposed to HS Moriah. Here is the list of guards that the committee selected over Moriah:
Ariel Massengale (3X), Alexia Standish (1X) Jordan Adams (3X), Jewell Loyd (1X), Bria Smith (1X), Bria Hartley (1X), Diamond DeShields (1X) & Alexis Jones (1X)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom