September 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

September 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Cross-posting my comments here too since there's a dedicated thread about this in the General forum:

Here's their Top 100. Me thinks there's some insane East Coast bias there; the three West Coast top ten recruits under Olson, Demetre, Iriafen, and Von Oelhoffen, drop from 4, 9, and 10 to 11, 19, and 25, and Rayah Marshall dropped from 14 to 27. I know some folks thought Olson had a west coast bias, but I'm not sure I have any more confidence in these new guys given that nearly every top west coast prospect dropped at least 10 spots.

ETA: And Dawn suddenly goes from having the 3rd, 6th, and 13th recruits to the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. Ok then.

Reaction Score
Cross-posting my comments here too since there's a dedicated thread about this in the General forum:

Here's their Top 100. Me thinks there's some insane East Coast bias there; the three West Coast top ten recruits under Olson, Demetre, Iriafen, and Von Oelhoffen, drop from 4, 9, and 10 to 11, 19, and 25, and Rayah Marshall dropped from 14 to 27. I know some folks thought Olson had a west coast bias, but I'm not sure I have any more confidence in these new guys given that nearly every top west coast prospect dropped at least 10 spots.

ETA: And Dawn suddenly goes from having the 3rd, 6th, and 13th recruits to the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. Ok then

You and others seem to be under the impression that your players have dropped when they haven't. These aren't new rankings, they are different rankings and I'll wager those west coast players were ranked the same on this list a month ago. Hanson and Olson just disagree. Two of UConn's recruits are lower in this list while the third is higher. They are all still the same players.

If you need to see Stanford's recruits ranked as high as possible then go here where you will find the rankings you like better: 2021 HoopGurlz Recruiting Rankings - espnW 100 - ESPN

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
You and others seem to be under the impression that your players have dropped when they haven't. These aren't new rankings, they are different rankings and I'll wager those west coast players were ranked the same on this list a month ago. Hanson and Olson just disagree. Two of UConn's recruits are lower in this list while the third is higher. They are all still the same players.

If you need to see Stanford's recruits ranked as high as possible then go here where you will find the rankings you like better: 2021 HoopGurlz Recruiting Rankings - espnW 100 - ESPN
Where do you think I got those comparisons from? My point, regardless, is that what is now the "official" ESPNW rankings seem to have a rather substantial bias against West Coast recruits, not just Stanford ones.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Where do you think I got those comparisons from? My point, regardless, is that what is now the "official" ESPNW rankings seem to have a rather substantial bias against West Coast recruits, not just Stanford ones.
OMG! 1 ranking was enough for you to determine "a substantial bias against West Coast recruits"?
BTW the original ESPN Hoopgurlz founders Glen Nelson and Chris Hansen were often accused of having a West Coast Bias even though Glen was a Seattle native.

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
OMG! 1 ranking was enough for you to determine "a substantial bias against West Coast recruits"?
BTW the original ESPN Hoopgurlz founders Glen Nelson and Chris Hansen were often accused of having a West Coast Bias even though Glen was a Seattle native.
Do you guys not read my posts before responding? I acknowledged that some think Olson has a west coast bias. But the drop off for basically all West Coast recruits is pretty stark.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Big news here. PBR guys do great work. Gotten a lot of info from them especially during AAU months. This will be very interesting.
I don’t know anything about these guys, but their rankings do seem a bit off.
I'm doing some research on Premier Basketball enough to spot a couple of red flags. The first red flag is that for a fee ~$500-900 players can pay to get evaluated. A second red flag is a significant part of the business is that Premier is a tournament organizer.
https://premierbasketballtournament...ball-tournaments/general-information/overview.
One of the tournaments that Premier sponsors is called the ThePrimeEvent. Caroline's Exodus AAU team won the championship of ThePrimeEvent east last month. Which may have been the reason for her dramatic rise from 37th to 5th in the class.

To be clear these red flags have nothing to do with Caroline-I honestly hope PBR have correctly rated her.

Reaction Score
You do realize SCs did not actually get any better by these newer rankings correct?

I agree. This has changed nothing but opinion and arguments. Still, it will be fun to compare UConn and SCar's classes when you get Azi - as I'm pretty certain will happen,

Fuel to the fire..:cool:. I just hope revised scheduling still allows us to play in January!

Reaction Score

Or maybe the bias was in the rankings you like? :)
I agree that this new source has your favorite recruits ranked lower than the last source but they have not dropped, which implies that the ranker had them higher and then lowered their rankings. He didn't. It's just different sources ranking differently. Hanson's rankings haven't changed nor have both Prospect Nation and Blue Star so take solace in that. ;)

Reaction Score
I'm doing some research on Premier Basketball enough to spot a couple of red flags. The first red flag is that for a fee ~$500-900 players can pay to get evaluated. A second red flag is a significant part of the business is that Premier is a tournament organizer.
https://premierbasketballtournament...ball-tournaments/general-information/overview.
One of the tournaments that Premier sponsors is called the ThePrimeEvent. Caroline's Exodus AAU team won the championship of ThePrimeEvent east last month. Which may have been the reason for her dramatic rise from 37th to 5th in the class.

To be clear these red flags have nothing to do with Caroline-I honestly hope PBR have correctly rated her.

Shane Laflin, who is one of their head evaluators, was the one who broke the news of Caroline’s commitment (before she did), so I would assume there is a strong connection.

He raved about Caroline’s play at the recent tournament they evaluated at Spooky Nook.

I think this ranking is more accurate than her HoopGurlz ranking, but it may be a bit high.

Between Citron, Ducharme, Poffenbarger, Kampschroeder, von Oelhoffen, and a few others, I think it is just based off of what the evaluator is looking for.

Reaction Score

I wonder if for an extra $500 you could have your kid knock Fudd off the top spot? ;)

Reaction Score
Talk about a quick update, those rankings have been shuffled again.

Ducharme has already fallen to #6 while DeBerry is 8th, and Poffenbarger is 18th.
I wonder if alcohol could be a factor in these rankings? Did Ducharme miss a couple foul shots over the weekend to drop one spot?

Reaction Score
Talk about a quick update, those rankings have been shuffled again.

Ducharme has already fallen to #6 while DeBerry is 8th, and Poffenbarger is 18th.
They might be in the process of switching. Miles is currently in the 40s.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I wonder if for an extra $500 you could have your kid knock Fudd off the top spot? ;)
:eek: I think you might need to add a few more zeros before the decimal point to start that conversations.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Seems to me ESPN is getting what it paid for.

How many times are we going to hear ESPN broadcasters (Pam Ward anyone?) talk about the # __ recruiting class when broadcasting certain teams that have ESPN-based network deals? Instead of starting fresh with the 2022 class which is largely uncommitted, the new group ranks for the first time a class that is 90+% committed? That's another red flag.

Reaction Score
Now Poffenbarger is 13, Amari is 47th, SC has 2-4, and...oh I wanna get off this ride
Do you have a different link for these updates ? I'm still getting the original rankings (From the new evaluators) on the ESPN website.
Thanks

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
Now Poffenbarger is 13, Amari is 47th, SC has 2-4, and...oh I wanna get off this ride
Haha yeah, Iriafen is now down to 40th but the good news for Stanford is that Harriel is up to 29th and three spots ahead of Citron so looks like we were sad for no reason when Citron committed to Notre Dame, and Kampschroeder is down to 78th so Oregon St, you can keep her too!

Oyyyy. I am getting dizzy here with all this nonsense.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Do you have a different link for these updates ? I'm still getting the original rankings (From the new evaluators) on the ESPN website.
Thanks

They are changing upon refresh for me. Probably won't know the actual rankings for a bit.

Reaction Score
They are changing upon refresh for me. Probably won't know the actual rankings for a bit.
Thanks. I Googled- hoopgurlz 2021 and found the list you mentioned. Considering ESPN announced a date for their new list, it would have been nice of them to complete the calculations before publicly releasing the rankings.

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
Boy I am glad I thought to PDF the old ESPNW 2021 rankings this morning. At least I can refer back to them since these ones continue to move around. But at least Harriel is now up to #23!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom