Selection Monday | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Selection Monday

Reaction Score
One of the interesting issues for DePaul and Marquette, and used to be for USF and UCF: they have two/three losses on their resume this year that last year likely would have been wins because of Uconn - Marquette at 19-6 looks different from them at 22-3, DePaul at 14-8 vs 16-6. There is a cost to having Uconn in your conference.
If Depaul beats Butler and Creighton, they're in. UConn or no UConn.

Reaction Score
Oh wow....I misinterpreted that. That's huge. Only having to face one of those squads instead of 2 makes the path far less treacherous.
Yeah. NC State and Texas A&M don't concern me AT ALL. If we get past Baylor (only one of three teams that can beat us), we will get to the championship game to likely face one of the other two (South Carolina and Stanford). I have no problem not winning it all. But it will suck if we don't make it to the final four because the NCAA wanted to screw us. No way in hell should Maryland be ahead of Baylor.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
If Depaul beats Butler and Creighton, they're in. UConn or no UConn.
I believe just one of those two would've sufficed. Avoiding a loss to Quad 4 Butler would've certainly done the trick IMO.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
4. Lots of potentially great match ups in the tournament:

-Tennessee/MTSU, Hayes playing her old team
-Kentucky/Iowa in round 2 with two of the best scorers in the country
-Stanford/Arkansas in the Sweet 16 is a dangerous game for the Cardinal.
-UCONN/Iowa to watch the freshman go head to head
-Maryland/SC
-NC State/A&M is another interesting one

The field is wide open for the first time in quite a while, plus we have neutral games the entire way that will likely shake things up a big. Should be fun to watch.
If Virginia Tech can get by Marquette, they could produce some problems for Baylor in the Round of 32, especially if Baylor continues to turn the ball over. You've got Kitley inside and Sheppard, Amoore, and King who can shoot the THREE at a nearly 40% clip.
Could be one of the more intriguing second round matchups.

Reaction Score
Hello to the Boneyard.

With absolutely NO inside information, . . . calling it now. Should we get the E8 matchup, Didi Richards will not be guarding Buechers (which normally she would, drawing the best opponent backcourt). Don't have a clue who will. Maybe a platoon of Ursin and Jordan Oliver. That would be conceding a whole lot going against the best guard in the nation. Ursin is our quickest defender and has a high motor for 4 entire quarters. Oliver is not ready for prime time, but she's the next quickest guard off the bench. Sarah Andrews simply has not gotten the court time this season, and when she has, she hasn't seemed to dial in to high intensity defense up to KMulkey's standards.

I've gone on record on our board so I'm not saying anything new here, Didi was a legit defensive POY last year. But that was guarding an opponent's #3 or #4 and staying in the paint to rebound. Not so this year. Who knows? No one has solved the Buecher's problem yet, have they?

State of Texas is now 100% open from Covid. Might the NCAA announce blocks of general admission tickets are available to participating schools? Wishful thinking.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
If Virginia Tech can get by Marquette, they could produce some problems for Baylor in the Round of 32, especially if Baylor continues to turn the ball over. You've got Kitley inside and Sheppard, Amoore, and King who can shoot the THREE at a nearly 40% clip.
Could be one of the more intriguing second round matchups.
Agreed, I overlooked that. Kitley is the real deal and Sheppard can really score.

Plebe

Reaction Score
And don’t underestimate that Kiersten Bell vs. Naz Hillmon matchup which will be entertaining (tOSU vs. Mich)...
Fantastic matchup of two players who are locks my own All-American team, if not the official ones.

Reaction Score
They did fine the first time vs SC who is comparable defensively. Davis and Burrell are excellent bail out players and I could see Egbo getting into quick foul trouble. It should be a competitive game.
Egbo hasn’t been in foul trouble in quite some time! Bickle can hold her own coming off the bench in the paint! I’m ready for the tournament

Reaction Score
What a horrible Selection Shows on ESPN and then an hour later on ESPNU! Don't tell viewers right off the bat who is the #1 seeds. Sorry that should be announced first. Fluff questions asked to the committee chairwomen. Can you analyze the possible game match-ups in each region? I'm sorry but I'm not interested in featured stories on players or coaches. Now finally said one hour and 40 minutes later that Stanford was the #1 overall seed. Geez!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Houston, DePaul, ND, Oklahoma are first 4 out.

My Cougs :(

Is it wrong for me to hope for a replacement scenario? No, just as long as you keep posting the MM GIF :rolleyes:
They did fine the first time vs SC who is comparable defensively. Davis and Burrell are excellent bail out players and I could see Egbo getting into quick foul trouble. It should be a competitive game.
Yup a lack of offense vs. a lack of offense with Tenn having the height advantage and Baylor winning the turnover battle....

Reaction Score
Hello to the Boneyard.

With absolutely NO inside information, . . . calling it now. Should we get the E8 matchup, Didi Richards will not be guarding Buechers (which normally she would, drawing the best opponent backcourt). Don't have a clue who will. Maybe a platoon of Ursin and Jordan Oliver. That would be conceding a whole lot going against the best guard in the nation. Ursin is our quickest defender and has a high motor for 4 entire quarters. Oliver is not ready for prime time, but she's the next quickest guard off the bench. Sarah Andrews simply has not gotten the court time this season, and when she has, she hasn't seemed to dial in to high intensity defense up to KMulkey's standards.

I've gone on record on our board so I'm not saying anything new here, Didi was a legit defensive POY last year. But that was guarding an opponent's #3 or #4 and staying in the paint to rebound. Not so this year. Who knows? No one has solved the Buecher's problem yet, have they?

State of Texas is now 100% open from Covid. Might the NCAA announce blocks of general admission tickets are available to participating schools? Wishful thinking.
I’m sorry but Jordyn Oliver is not going to be playing in the elite 8 game unless it’s mop up minutes! Kim is going 7-8 deep so it’s going to be carrington and Bickle being the 6-7 player but it’s a toss up on who is the 8th player. It’s going to be Jordyn or Sarah

Plebe

Reaction Score
I think Marquette deserved better than last 4 in....
The resume was thin. With DePaul missing the cut line, Marquette had no wins over at-large caliber teams. I had them among next-to-last 4 in.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Egbo hasn’t been in foul trouble in quite some time! Bickle can hold her own coming off the bench in the paint! I’m ready for the tournament
She's been playing much much better as of late. She's a game changer inside when she's grabbing boards and blocking shots. Bickle is solid but I think they lose a lot in rebounding if Egbo is out for extended minutes. I think Baylor will be the favorite should they meet, but I think it'll be a good game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom