Seedings UConn Bridgeport or Spokane? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Seedings UConn Bridgeport or Spokane?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
If you don’t think that out of area fans will sell out the joint to see UCONN lose, well, I’ve got a bridge to sell you.
How much are you going to pay me to buy the bridge

Reaction Score
Huh? A loss is likely not worse than a win? You really need to explain the calculus to simple minded people such as myself. I always thought wins = good, losses = bad. But you learn something every day. It must be comforting for the teams 1 through 9 that they could lose games and it's likely no worse than a modest win.
From the committees standpoint of your resume, losses to good teams don’t hurt. Wins over bad teams don’t help.

Quality wins help.
Bad losses hurt.

Reaction Score
Also, the committee may not want to see too many potential repeats of last year's NCAAT games.
I personally don't want us to play against Iowa & Caitlin Clark again in a perennial Paige vs. Caitlin matchup.
If I feel that way then the committee may feel that way too.

As far as the money, the committee members are humans, they can vote based on factors that they don't have any official discussion about.
That could mean for some, money may be an issue but not for others.
I doubt that revenue differences are an overriding factor for the majority when the men overwhelmingly bring in the most revenues to the NCAA.
The NFL and MLB were able to operate without any fans, just TV money.
There's not going to be very much difference in attendance revenues based on where a single team is sent.
It may actually bring in more revenue if UConn were sent west because they also need good teams to play in the west to draw in more fans.
I would like to have a committee with NO feelings, but be objective with clean analysis of all teams' parameters through LOGIC, and NOT emotion.

I would like the rules to be published with flowcharts, and the algorythms to be published before the year starts, so that the "bracketology" opinions could be bracketology FACTS based on performance metrics that can be known by all real time. Then, the discussions could be had as to what factors' coefficient needs to be adjusted and by what manner for the NEXT season.

As always, each team must defeat the team in front of them, and then the next team in front of them...

They [Huskies] can only choose to apply all of their AWESOME skills and OUTSTANDING effort in the team concept designed by Geno & CD....

Reaction Score
I would like to have a committee with NO feelings, but be objective with clean analysis of all teams' parameters through LOGIC, and NOT emotion.

I would like the rules to be published with flowcharts, and the algorythms to be published before the year starts, so that the "bracketology" opinions could be bracketology FACTS based on performance metrics that can be known by all real time. Then, the discussions could be had as to what factors' coefficient needs to be adjusted and by what manner for the NEXT season.

As always, each team must defeat the team in front of them, and then the next team in front of them...

They [Huskies] can only choose to apply all of their AWESOME skills and OUTSTANDING effort in the team concept designed by Geno & CD....
Just use straight NET then .

Reaction Score
as of TODAY. the Net (which is a guide for the Committee) is:

TeamRecordNET RankNET Delta
South Carolina21 - 11
North Carolina State20 - 32
Stanford17 - 33
Louisville20 - 24
North Carolina17 - 45
Texas15 - 46
Arizona15 - 37
Connecticut14 - 48+4
Oregon13 - 59+1
Iowa State19 - 310+1
Michigan19 - 211+5
Notre Dame18 - 412+6
BYU18 - 213-4
Tennessee19 - 314-6
I think they may have to tweak the Net with NC sitting there at 5. However, NC is not even close to hosting so the committee realize that the "guide" is flawed.

Reaction Score
Man oh man. The NCAA is a business. They are not going to move their largest income provider out of their region. Stanford will be in Spokane with Oregon. NC State will be in Bridgeport with UCOnn. Those of you who have been around for the past 20 years always saw Tenn close to home. Why? Because they draw and money talks and pays their salaries and bonuses. UConn will be in Bridgeport. Bridgeport in the past got more for a ticket then any other place. The teams whose fans come out will be put in regions close to their fan base so the NCAA can make money. I looked into doing a Christmas Holiday tournament and I was told the arena wanted $25,000 up front. It would be an 8 team 4 day tournament. The teams wanted guaranteed money to show up. Think about it. The NCAA pays for most of that if not all. Im not sure how much they pay for. Do you think sending Tenn and UConn to far away regions is business smart??? I dont care what people are saying now when the NCAA meets they will be looking at the best way to make money and the best way to seed teams to make it fair. If UConn is a 2 or 3 seed the number 1 seed which I believe will be NC State should not care about where theyre playing if theyre that good. You guys know my thoughts on UConn with Paige back and up to speed. We wont loose.
They will not put 2 high ranking PAC 12 team in the same region.

Reaction Score
Perhaps, but can you provide a single piece of evidence that it isn’t true?
The only thing we know is at this moment the committee plans on sending UConn out West because of seeding issues with the other conferences. If those issues don't work themselves out, then UConn may end up somewhere that is not Bridgeport.

Reaction Score

No computer program currently exists that can perfectly rank the teams.
It's why pretty much every NCAA team sport has a committee to choose teams -- to balance the objective and subjective.

If such a program did exist, the really high $$$$$$ sports (eg, CFB, MCBB) would already be using it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The only thing we know is at this moment the committee plans on sending UConn out West because of seeding issues with the other conferences. If those issues don't work themselves out, then UConn may

Yep. I have to believe that if the schedule can possible accommodate it, they will put UConn in Bridgeport. Right now it doesn't, but there will still be some more movement the tournament.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Provide a single piece of evidence that you're not a murderer.
I have personal knowledge of all my activities throughout my lifetime and I have never seen myself kill anyone.

You’re welcome.

Reaction Score
I have personal knowledge of all my activities throughout my lifetime and I have never seen myself kill anyone.

You’re welcome.
“To the best of your knowledge...?”

Reaction Score
No computer program currently exists that can perfectly rank the teams.
It's why pretty much every NCAA team sport has a committee to choose teams -- to balance the objective and subjective.

If such a program did exist, the really high $$$$$$ sports (eg, CFB, MCBB) would already be using it.
I guess you could adopt the NCAA Hockey tool (pairwise rankings) for picking the tournament teams/seeds. It's based on some complicated mathematical formula of your wins/losses and your opponents wins/losses and your opponents opponents wins/losses. The results are tracked throughout the season so each team knows where they stand. There is no human element used in the selection process.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Let me make a statement. The NCAA holds the Regionals close to UConn because UConn sells out and UConn fans pay a higher price for tickets. If they really wanted to send UConn to a different location they wouldve held the Regionals in Ohio or Indiana or some other place. Fannies in the seats promote the womens games, bring money in to the NCAA and thats why the NCAA holds Regionals in places that draw, like, close to : UConn SC Oregon Tenn. These 4 teams have huge fan bases that draw when their fans can get there. If you think Im wrong try sending UConn Tenn SC and Oregon to Alaska and Hawaii and see how many of their fans show up????????

sun

Reaction Score
Let me make a statement. The NCAA holds the Regionals close to UConn because UConn sells out....

The NCAA lost money on the womens NCAAT in 2019, the last year unaffected by covid.
The NCAA makes all of its BB profits on the mens NCAAT.

"But in a summary of financial data first provided to The New York Times and ESPN, and later obtained by Yahoo Sports, the NCAA attempted to justify that budget disparity, and said that its 2019 women’s basketball tournament lost $2.8 million, the “largest loss of any NCAA championship” event.

The NCAA released figures for its 2019 basketball tournaments, the last ones unaffected by the pandemic, amid uproar over inequities between its 2021 men’s and women’s tournaments. Figures for the 2021 tournaments are expected to be relatively similar.................."

I think that it's safe to say that TV money dwarfs any other income received from both tournaments.
The mens NCAAT TV money will grow to over $1 billion in 2025 from $850 million now, while the womens only presently receives just over $41.8 million in TV money.
The mens NCAAT subsidizes the womens NCAAT which makes the argument about attendance money largely moot.

It's the same with the WNBA which has always lost money, and is why it needs to be subsidized by the NBA.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Guess we can putt this thread to rest.. Bridgeport has been sealed. Time for State to tank.
Anyone still think UCONN is heading west?
Hate to be "that guy" but I'm not convinced that today's win puts UConn at Bridgeport.

If UConn ends up as a low 2 seed, they could be shipped west just as easily as when they were low 3 seed, per the Jan. 27 reveal.

Today's win was extremely important in terms of building the team's confidence; its impact on regional placement is very uncertain.

Jim

Reaction Score
I might be in the minority here, but I just don’t think the committee will put UCONN in Bridgeport. There is too much ground to make up to be a #1 seed, and it would be unfair to the Bridgeport top seed to put a healthy Huskies team just an hour away from campus. No, I think the the team goes to Spokane as the #2 to Stanford’s #1.

Reaction Score
Wow I can't even..... Plebe and Jim.... Really? Exactly how much womens basketball have you watched over the past few decades?

You think they will send UCONN away because it won't be fair to the 1 seed. Do you remember when Louisville was the 1 seed and UCONN was the 2? Also money talks.... you both have to be out of your minds if you think that UCONN is not going to be Bridgeport.

You post things that are nothing but horrific speculation and have no connection to past history or a basic understanding of ECONOMICS! UCONN is a money maker in Bridgeport. The NCAA knows that. With this win, and assuming we do not lose again... It makes sense UCONN would be one of the top 8 schools.

Please save your opinions, like "the impact on regional placement is uncertain" and "I think the team goes to Spokane as the #2 to Stanford's #1" and focus on something more concrete like economics and past practice....

Jim

Reaction Score
As to economics, you seem to ignore the fact that the majority of tickets to Bridgeport have already been sold. Whether people fill the seats is secondary. And I remember the big stink Penn State made in 2004 where they were the #1 to UCONN's #2 in the then Hartford regional. Let's just say I have a lower opinion of the selection committee that they would do something that would in any way benefit UCONN.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Just asking, but haven't most of the tickets to Bridgeport already been bought? If so, the NCAA already has their money and it doesn't matter if they send UConn there or not. I would guess UConn fans gobble up tickets for the nearest Regional as soon as they can every season, long before the brackets are announced.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom