Seedings UConn Bridgeport or Spokane? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Seedings UConn Bridgeport or Spokane?

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
What a lot of people are saying here does not make much sense.

Starting next year(2023), the NCAA is only planning on having TWO Regional sites, not 4, as it has presently. And, that is the plan for the next 3 years after that, through 2026. None of the scheduled sites are in Connecticut. In one of those 4 years a site will be Albany. All the others are far away. One thing it shows, is that the committee is not favoring Connecticut. Also, it is very unlikely that 2 sites will draw more money than the present 4 sites do.

Reaction Score
I agree with a lot of you, I don't know if Uconn is going to Spokane, but I think it's possible they go to Greensboro or Wichita here is why.
From looking at the latest bracketology they have #2 Arizona in Bridgeport, the reason is they can't have them in Spokane due to Stanford being a #1. I think they are doing their best to not have 1-2 seeds be same conference. Arz is basically stuck in the middle, not good enough to be a #1, but don't see why they would slip beyond a #2.

Reaction Score
No guarantees for Bridgeport.
UConn could move up to #8, and then get sent to Greensboro to face SC.

There is a new committee reveal this Thursday the 10th.

Reaction Score
What a lot of people are saying here does not make much sense.

Starting next year(2023), the NCAA is only planning on having TWO Regional sites, not 4, as it has presently. And, that is the plan for the next 3 years after that, through 2026. None of the scheduled sites are in Connecticut. In one of those 4 years a site will be Albany. All the others are far away. One thing it shows, is that the committee is not favoring Connecticut. Also, it is very unlikely that 2 sites will draw more money than the present 4 sites do.
Well said.
In other words IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT THE MONEY.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

2022 NCAA women's basketball top 16 reveal schedule​

There are a total of three reveals ahead of March 13's Selection Sunday. Here's the schedule:

• Thursday, Jan. 27 on ESPN (during halftime of 6 p.m. South Carolina-Ole Miss game)
  • Thursday, Feb. 10 on ESPN (during halftime of 7 p.m. ET South Carolina-Kentucky game)
  • Monday, Feb. 28 on ESPN2 (during halftime of 7 p.m. Baylor-Iowa State game)

Reaction Score

5 -8 are not ranked. Doesn’t matter if UConn is 5, 6, 7 or 8. So 1 doesn’t necessarily match up with theoretical 8. They also dislikes setting up rematch possibilities between the top 8 seeds. Thus, the committee would not place UConn in the same region as SCar if they can avoid it.

If NC State is the one seed for Bridgeport and UConn is a two seed, that would be the probable pairing. If Louisville is the one seed, UConn could be moved to Stanford/Spokane to avoid the rematch.

Reaction Score
After today's Top-25 is announced there will be some changes. However the top four will be the same.

1) South Carolina
2) Stanford
3) Louisville
4) NC State
5) Michigan
6) Arizona
7) Indiana
8) UConn
9) Tennessee
10) Baylor

I would rather see UConn playing either Louisville or NC State in the Elite 8.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The reason the NCAA has the Regionals in CT is because they get more for a ticket and they sell out. CT Tenn SC and Oregon are huge draws for then NCAAs and that means money. So not having UConn close to home would cost the NCAA money and fans. Fans promote the game. Someone mentioned most of the tickets are already sold. Think about it. If UConn is sent away fans would not be happy which would hurt sales for the next year. If the NCAAs truly want to make money my suggestion would be hold the Regionals close to UConn SC Tenn or Oregon where those teams draw fans. I would be very surprised if UConn wasnt in CT no matter what. UConn is the NCAAs cash cow. In the old days the Regionals were always held close to Tenn because Tenn was a huge draw and money maker for the NCAA.
One other point is the BE tourney is being held at Mohegan Sun March 4-7). Its a great place to hold the tournament and its in CT which is a huge draw for the BE. Follow the money.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
After following women's basketball for many years, I still can't figure out the objectives the NCAA is trying to achieve. While maximizing revenues in Bridgeport is likely on the table, this is only one site. Since its likely already nearly sold out, putting UConn somewhere else might significantly increase sales there as well. Wonder if this is on anyone's mind. The strategic and more important goal would seem to be expanding the base of fans though out the US. Would be interesting to understand how the NCAA thinks they are achieving that objective.

Reaction Score
5 -8 are not ranked. Doesn’t matter if UConn is 5, 6, 7 or 8. .

Not correct.
The committee ranks the teams 1-64 and then tries to place them via the S-curve (1 vs 64, 2 vs 63, …) but geography, conferences, cause teams to be moved around in the bracket.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There is a good possibility that UConn jumps 2 spots in the rankings today to #8. The Huskies had two good wins over Creighton & TN, while the LV’s had two losses and Baylor lost to 18th ranked OK.

While being ranked 8th does not necessarily equate to being a 2-seed, it’s a good proxy for now. Assuming UConn is the last #2 seed that would put the Huskies in Spokane or Greenville in the likely brackets with Stanford or SC respectively.

But the season is not over yet. UConn still has to run the table in the BE to secure a 2-seed. Teams ahead of UConn like AZ, MI & IN have all looked vulnerable at times. One bad loss could easily drop them behind UConn.

Finally, assuming Paige comes back, and the Huskies start firing on all cylinders, I wonder to what extent the selection committee will take into consideration her injury and her return in seeding the Huskies. Supposedly, injuries are not considered in the analysis. But the truth is the committee will rationalize whatever decision they make, using whatever criteria they determine is relevant.

Reaction Score
There is a good possibility that UConn jumps 2 spots in the rankings today to #8. The Huskies had two good wins over Creighton & TN, while the LV’s had two losses and Baylor lost to 18th ranked OK.

While being ranked 8th does not necessarily equate to being a 2-seed, it’s a good proxy for now. Assuming UConn is the last #2 seed that would put the Huskies in Spokane or Greenville in the likely brackets with Stanford or SC respectively.

But the season is not over yet. UConn still has to run the table in the BE to secure a 2-seed. Teams ahead of UConn like AZ, MI & IN have all looked vulnerable at times. One bad loss could easily drop them behind UConn.

Finally, assuming Paige comes back, and the Huskies start firing on all cylinders, I wonder to what extent the selection committee will take into consideration her injury and her return in seeding the Huskies. Supposedly, injuries are not considered in the analysis. But the truth is the committee will rationalize whatever decision they make, using whatever criteria they determine is relevant.
Which translates into if they want to jam UCONN they can. It would be a real waste of live revenue for us not to be in Bridgeport and an even greater waste of a TV audience to make a FF game into an Elite 8 game. We just have to win out and in my mind by big margins to stay home.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score

Good post oldude. Its gonna be a hard decision for the NCAA on where to place UConn. I think having Paige Caroline and Azzi back makes UConn a very tuff out especially with Geno running the show. You send UConn out of CT and there is a very good chance UConn will knock off the 1 seed in their bracket. Pick you poison. Do you put UConn in SC Stanford LVille or NC State bracket???? Just having UConn in your bracket is like playing the NC game. Then again you most likely face them in the Final 4.

I thing I would consider is and we will never know the answer IF Azzi Caroline and Dorka were playing like they are now and UConn is playing like they are now how many losses would UConn have??? Again we wont know that answer. However looking ahead with everybody healthy and up to speed now what does that do to the brackets????? A very difficult decision is where to place UConn.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Which translates into if they want to jam UCONN they can. It would be a real waste of live revenue for us not to be in Bridgeport and an even greater waste of a TV audience to make a FF game into an Elite 8 game. We just have to win out and in my mind by big margins to stay home.
MOV is also not supposed to be a selection criteria, but I will never be convinced that the eye test isn’t a relevant factor for the committee. If UConn blows out everyone in the BE from here on, that will most certainly be taken into consideration.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
From looking at the latest bracketology they have #2 Arizona in Bridgeport, the reason is they can't have them in Spokane due to Stanford being a #1. I think they are doing their best to not have 1-2 seeds be same conference. Arz is basically stuck in the middle, not good enough to be a #1, but don't see why they would slip beyond a #2.
It's not just that they're "doing their best" to avoid this. By rule they cannot put two conference mates seeded 1-4 in the same region (unless a conference has more than 4 teams seeded 4 or higher).

The regional placements of the first reveal were true to the S-curve for the top 2 seed lines: #7 Texas was paired with #2 Stanford in Spokane, and #8 Arizona was paired with #1 South Carolina in Greensboro. It wasn't until the 3 seed line that a deviation from the S-curve was necessary to avoid placing #10 Iowa State with #7 Texas.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If we win out and are fully healthy (with Paige) I think it will be hard not to put us in Bridgeport as the #2. IMO at full strength we would throttle Indiana or Michigan. The only caveat would be if they need to avoid top 4 seed in conference match ups.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Next committee reveal is this Thursday, so it will be interesting to see how Creme reseeds/regions the teams. TN has lost 3 of last 4, with two unranked losses and ND just popped back into the 4th seed but lost to FSU

Reaction Score
I think Plebe has it right. The committee was just following the S curve after seeding the top four, and making the smallest adjustments in the 3 and four seeds to prevent conference match ups. So if we do not want to be in Greensboro or Spokane, we likely need to be a 5 or 6 seed, or a nine or 10 seed.

Reaction Score
The reason the NCAA has the Regionals in CT is because they get more for a ticket and they sell out. CT Tenn SC and Oregon are huge draws for then NCAAs and that means money. So not having UConn close to home would cost the NCAA money and fans. Fans promote the game. Someone mentioned most of the tickets are already sold. Think about it. If UConn is sent away fans would not be happy which would hurt sales for the next year. If the NCAAs truly want to make money my suggestion would be hold the Regionals close to UConn SC Tenn or Oregon where those teams draw fans. I would be very surprised if UConn wasnt in CT no matter what. UConn is the NCAAs cash cow. In the old days the Regionals were always held close to Tenn because Tenn was a huge draw and money maker for the NCAA.
One other point is the BE tourney is being held at Mohegan Sun March 4-7). Its a great place to hold the tournament and its in CT which is a huge draw for the BE. Follow the money.
My worry is that the Committee feels that if they put UCONN in Bridgeport they are giving us an unfair advantage. Of course, if any other team gets to stay at home it's not even mentioned except maybe in passing.

Reaction Score
keep an eye out now for Michigan being that last #1 seed. I see Louisville losing 1 more and NC st possibly also losing 1 more. If Michigan wins the big 10 tournament I can see them being that last #1 and the winner of the acc tournament between nc st louisville just one of those 2 being a 1. My money is on Nc st over Louisville.

Reaction Score
keep an eye out now for Michigan being that last #1 seed. I see Louisville losing 1 more and NC st possibly also losing 1 more. If Michigan wins the big 10 tournament I can see them being that last #1 and the winner of the acc tournament between nc st louisville just one of those 2 being a 1. My money is on Nc st over Louisville.
I agree that one should keep an eye on Michigan

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom