Sedona Prince Transfer Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Sedona Prince Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If she doesn't commit...are we looking at 2 to 3 National Championships or is Sedona the missing piece to get them 3 to 4 NC?
If she doesn't commit its really hard to see beyond 1, maybe 2 and that will depend on the big we bring in in 2020 class. The combination of the 2 could be lethal, but ONO by herself? I don't see it with her limited skill set. Go Huskies!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
And Gabby who had her ACL fixed by UConn before she ever put on her uniform, and I think she turned out alright.

Funny thing you should you bring up Gabby. I was always concerned (during her time at UConn) that she would either strain or re-injure her knee, but she never did. She’s still going strong entering her 2nd year in the W, after playing overseas as well.

Let’s not forget about Morgan Tuck (she sat out all but 8 games of her sophomore year). She also continues to enjoy the benefits of having UConn’s medical staff oversee the repair and rehabilitation of her knee. She’s entering her 4th year in the WNBA on that knee.

There was a time I didn't think she would last this long in the W on that surgically repaired knee. I figured 1 maybe 2 seasons at best. These are just two of the many "walking billboards" that sing the praises of UConn's medical team of doctors and trainers. Their lengthy record of successful surgeries and after care speaks for itself.

Obviously Sedona Prince and family are looking for a program that will allow her to “double dip”. A program which will not only rehab her back to as close to 100% as possible, but also a program (coach) that can/will prepare her and grow her game to successfully compete not only in college, but at the next level.

While other programs talk the talk, Geno and his program walks the walk. His record speaks for itself. UConn graduates continue to be highly coveted by WNBA GM's and coaches.

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Yes, I'm sure post size has nothing to do with defense. And I'm sure rebounding and post scoring didn't either. Really? Smh
If they had hit a higher average of free throws and someone would have stopped Young from scoring so many points over her average, they would have won. A tall player is going to block only so many shots. Also, UConn had 6'6" Stevens. Does not do much good to have height if it is not on the floor.

Reaction Score
If she doesn't commit its really hard to see beyond 1, maybe 2 and that will depend on the big we bring in in 2020 class. The combination of the 2 could be lethal, but ONO by herself? I don't see it with her limited skill set. Go Huskies!

ONO has a limited skill set? I'd say she is one of the most athletic and skilled post players in the country and we have seen only about 40% of her abilities so far................go back and look at some high school video and I think you might change your mind..............

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Her limited skill set. What Ono have you been watching?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Query - if we get Prince, does that take us out of the running for DeBerry?

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Query - if we get Prince, does that take us out of the running for DeBerry?
Maybe UConn knows they are already out of the running for DeBerry and that is why they are recruiting Prince. Well, at least one of the reasons.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
If they had hit a higher average of free throws and someone would have stopped Young from scoring so many points over her average, they would have won. A tall player is going to block only so many shots. Also, UConn had 6'6" Stevens. Does not do much good to have height if it is not on the floor.

Who would you have removed minutes from to give Stevens more than the 28 she got? Keep in mind it would have to be Gabby, Collier, or KLS.

Reaction Score
Who would you have removed minutes from to give Stevens more than the 28 she got? Keep in mind it would have to be Gabby, Collier, or KLS.
If I may jump in, I thought Stevens' average playing time was slightly a little more than 20 minutes a game that year. To answer your question, I would have put Kia at point, and had Crystal, a sophomore at the time, come off the bench... Her plus/minus against ND was evidence that UConn was a better team with Stevens in the game...

Reaction Score
Would love to see more recruits with this "limited skill set." My main concerns with ONO are her tendency to foul and her thin build. Expect both to get stronger over time.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
So Prince's final two choices were Texas and UConn. She picked Texas and it didn't work out, regardless of the reason. So her visiting UConn makes sense.

A year at Texas may have opened her eyes to several things, including coaching and medical care. UConn has a history of very fine medical care for its athletes. Several of the those players have been mentioned. I'm sure that discussion will take place between Sedona, her family and Geno and possibly the medical staff. Can't blame Sedona and her family for wanting to know about medical care.

I think the next discussion would be about coaching, skill development, offensive structure, conditioning, defense and the like. Geno and UConn have a long history of developing post players starting with Lobo and going all the way to Stewie and beyond.

I like our chances!

And as to Ono's limited skill set - are you serious MikeBlue?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
If I may jump in, I thought Stevens' average playing time was slightly a little more than 20 minutes a game that year. To answer your question, I would have put Kia at point, and had Crystal, a sophomore at the time, come off the bench... Her plus/minus against ND was evidence that UConn was a better team with Stevens in the game...

Stevens played 28 in the national semi.

UConn did go without Dangerfield for stretches which is why she played just 30 minutes that night, second fewest to Stevens. While it's true that UConn had a big run with Stevens in during the first half, it's also true that Stevens was in the game when UConn lost their 7-pt lead late in the 4th.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Just when I thought one could have a conversation with you up comes the snark again.
You can. No snark intended. I was curious as to why you were thinking along those lines.

Reaction Score
It wouldn't be overstating things if I said with her commitment and everyone staying healthy we're looking at 3 to 4 National Championship's in a row! Look at the roster! Wow! Her n ONO on the floor, coupled with our guard talent, man that's 2013-14 season all over again for 2 or 3 years! Go Huskies!

At this point I think you would be overstating. You don't know how good Sedona Prince is, do you? She wasn't the number 1 or number 2 or number 3 ranked recruit etc was she?She was about 8, right? Usually a top 3 player is a lock to be very good. But for tall players around 10 in their 1st year? Meg Walker struggled a lot in her 1st year. So you know 100% that Prince won't? You're assuming just because she is tall that she must be good.

IMO this year they are a threat and ofc any other talent including Prince makes them a threat. What I'm hopeful for in the future is a healthy Fudd. You can get some decent bigs to hold the fort.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
At this point I think you would be overstating. You don't know how good Sedona Prince is, do you? She wasn't the number 1 or number 2 or number 3 ranked recruit etc was she?She was about 8, right? Usually a top 3 player is a lock to be very good. But for tall players around 10 in their 1st year? Meg Walker struggled a lot in her 1st year. So you know 100% that Prince won't? You're assuming just because she is tall that she must be good.

Just for the record, Prince was also ranked 6th by both Prospects Nation and Blue Star and 7th by ASGR. In other words, she was generally seen as an elite prospect.

For me, the only question is her health. Her skill level combined with her passing skills and mobility make her a perfect UConn fit.

Reaction Score
ONO has a limited skill set? I'd say she is one of the most athletic and skilled post players in the country and we have seen only about 40% of her abilities so far......go back and look at some high school video and I think you might change your mind....

Se does have a limtied skill set but she has incredible potnetial.
Just for the record, Prince was also ranked 6th by both Prospects Nation and Blue Star and 7th by ASGR. In other words, she was generally seen as an elite prospect.

For me, the only question is her health. Her skill level combined with her passing skills and mobility make her a perfect UConn fit.

For me "an elite prospect" is top 3. Number 6-8 can be elite. But so can number 10.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
For me "an elite prospect" is top 3. Number 6-8 can be elite. But so can number 10.

Put it this way: I am more impressed by her on film than I was Charli Collier, and Collier had the best composite ranking of any player in the class.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Don`t want to get ahead of ourselves, but very hard not to. So I will.

If things pan out, the roster for 2020-2021 would look something like this:

Backcourt: Westbrook, Williams, Bueckers, Muhl

Interior: ONO, Prince

Wings: Walker, Griffin, Makurat

Plus any additional 2020 recruits.

Not bad, eh?

Lots of flexibility to go big or small, three guard or double post. Lots of scoring options and many players with the ability to shoot, pass, and create off the dribble. Rebounding should be a strength, how about that UConn fans?

(edit)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Put it this way: I am more impressed by her on film than I was Charli Collier, and Collier had the best composite ranking of any player in the class.

I hope UCONN gets her and you're right!!!!!!!!!! You know more about these recruits than I. As I said the number 10 could be the best. For me-- I look at the top ten players UCONN players in my opinion - below are my top ten not in order and about 7 of the 10 )I'm excluding Sveta (she is top ten ahead of wolters) but actually she'd probably be considered a top 3 recruit if they did overseas like that) here and you'd have about 70% that were top 3 recruits that are top 10 in UCONN History. I think I'm being generous too counting Wolters over Sveta only becaue I can;t prove 100% that Sveta was "top 3" though from what I recall she was thought of in some circles as super elite.

The three below in bold may not have been top 3. The others are. If you're right about Prince -- Great!!! for me though when i replied to the other poster I'm skeptical because of the ranking. Just like I'm skeptical how good ONO will be this year. I expect her to start. I expect her to be better. But I don't see 3rd team a/a in her this year. But as long as she improves and helps get us to another final four with a chance to win it all then I'll be happy.

Stewie, DT, Maya, Lobo, Bird, MoJeff, Bascom, Charles, Sales and Wolters.

I wonder if you could answer a question for me? In terms of "ceiling and floors." If Geno were to coach Collier separately. And coach Prince separately. In terms of "a floor" factoring in their current strengths and weaknesses-- who would you project to have the higher "floor?" You think Prince has both the higher floor and the higher ceiling? I don't know -just asking. You and coco and many others follow the younger kids much more than I.

Reaction Score
Don`t want to get ahead of ourselves, but very hard not to. So I will.

If things pan out, the roster for 2020-2021 would look something like this:

Backcourt: Westbrook, Williams, Bueckers, Muhl

Interior: ONO, Prince

Wings: Walker, Griffin, Makurat

Plus any additional 2020 recruits.

Not bad, eh?

Lots of flexibility to go big or small, three guard or double post. Lots of scoring options and many players with the ability to shoot, pass, and create off the dribble. Rebounding should be a strength, how about that UConn fans?

Major variables are whether Westbrook stays for 2020-2021 and, of course, whether Prince comes at all and is healthy.

Westbrook is same age as Walker, isn't she? She might go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom