Sedona Prince Transfer Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sedona Prince Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Several people have opined that the "medical reasons" is a tact being employed to gain a medical waiver.

What specifically is the "medical waiver"? To play immediately without waiting out a year? or a sixth year to the window of eligibility, i.e. stretch the 4 out 5 rule to 4 out of 6?

How to Get a Medical Redshirt
There are two main types of waivers.

One is a "medical hardship waiver," which allows certain players to regain a year of eligibility after suffering a season-ending injury. This waiver has nothing to do with the transfer process.

The other kind of waiver is the one that allows a transfer player to play immediately, without spending the normally required "year of academic residence."

In Prince's case, she would almost certainly be eligible for a medical hardship waiver to restore her freshman year of eligibility, regardless of whether she stays at Texas or transfers to another school.

But the medical hardship waiver would (presumably) not exempt her from the year of residence requirement. I've never heard of a player winning a transfer waiver due to their own medical condition, so it's completely unclear how her reference to "medical reasons" is a setup for a waiver application.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'm claiming Sedona now. She is a husky.

Speak it into existence. Ask not, want not. What's not to like about UConn?!? Look what UConn did for the recent post players that came through the program i.e., Charles, Dolson, Stokes, Stewie (although she was never considered a post player, she did a lot of her best work in the paint on both ends of the court) etc.

All of them first round WNBA draft choices, and they're all still in the league. Geno and staff won't let her cheat her potential. If she comes to UConn, she'll never regret it. She will play, and she will improve her game. They will prepare her to play at the next level. She'll pay huge dividends at some point down the road for someone, I hope it's UConn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In Prince's case, she would almost certainly be eligible for a medical hardship waiver to restore her freshman year of eligibility, regardless of whether she stays at Texas or transfers to another school.
It is my understanding that her freshman year is not an issue. Call it a redshirt, no medical hardship required. Of course anything past her freshman year is an issue so if she is forced to sit her sophmore/transfer year then she loses a year of eligibility due to the 5 year window. The only way to get back that 4th year of eligibility is to get a 6th year added to the window. And to get back that sixth year the only reasons I know of is medical hardship. And that doesn't work here: the freshmen year is a redshirt and the sophmore year is transfer.

This situation is discussed in the article I linked to above, excerpted below:

Medical Red-shirts and the Five-Year Clock
Athletes must keep in mind both the five-year clock and their four seasons of competition. Even if an athlete gets a medical hardship waiver, he or she needs to have time left on their five-year clock (10-semester/15-quarter clock in Divisions II and III) to use that season.
This is problematic for athletes took a normal redshirt season or sat out due to a transfer. An athlete can generally not use a medical redshirt in those cases unless they get a clock extension or sixth year waiver. To do that the athlete show they lost two seasons outside of his or her control. The medical redshirt would be one, but the athlete would still need to show another.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
It is my understanding that her freshman year is not an issue. Call it a redshirt, no medical hardship required. Of course anything past her freshman year is an issue so if she is forced to sit her sophmore/transfer year then she loses a year of eligibility due to the 5 year window. The only way to get back that 4th year of eligibility is to get a 6th year added to the window. And to get back that sixth year the only reasons I know of is medical hardship. And that doesn't work here: the freshmen year is a redshirt and the sophmore year is transfer.

This situation is discussed in the article I linked to above, excerpted below:

Medical Red-shirts and the Five-Year Clock
Athletes must keep in mind both the five-year clock and their four seasons of competition. Even if an athlete gets a medical hardship waiver, he or she needs to have time left on their five-year clock (10-semester/15-quarter clock in Divisions II and III) to use that season.
This is problematic for athletes took a normal redshirt season or sat out due to a transfer. An athlete can generally not use a medical redshirt in those cases unless they get a clock extension or sixth year waiver. To do that the athlete show they lost two seasons outside of his or her control. The medical redshirt would be one, but the athlete would still need to show another.
Upon reflection, I think you're right. The waiver would only be necessary if she'd actually played. Thanks for setting me straight :)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Hidden at the bottom are some interesting rule changes for WCBB

Rule changes

The NCAA Women’s Basketball Rules Committee has taken a page from the WNBA when it comes to resets of the shot clock.

In the WNBA, the 24-second shot clock is reset to 14 seconds (if the clock is under 14) following an offensive rebound, a defensive foul in the frontcourt, or if the ball is kicked. In college play this coming season, the 30-second shot will reset to 20 seconds (if the clock is under 20) following an offensive rebound, a defensive foul in the frontcourt, or if the ball is kicked. Previously, the clock had reset to 30 following a rebound or foul and to 15 (if the clock was under 15) for a kick.

“I like it,” Auriemma said. “Anything that gets the game moving quicker is good.”

Another change is that a player who is assessed one technical foul and one unsportsmanlike foul will be ejected.

The women’s committee, however, decided to keep the 3-point line is at 20 feet, 9 inches, instead of moving it back to the international distance (22-1¾).

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
I guess I must be the only one not sold on Sedona Prince being the right fit for the Huskies, but it doesn't matter what I think/Feel as I am not part of the coaching staff who will make that final decision... If she comes I will welcome her and hope for the best, but if she doesn't I'm very much Okay with that too.

Reaction Score
I hope this thread doesn't turn ugly if she doesn't commit to UCONN. I hope that everyone that's praising her won't have a bad word to say just bc she didn't come here.

no bad words but to some she may go from a clear top ten talent to just plain mediocre over night...............:eek:

Reaction Score
I guess I must be the only one not sold on Sedona Prince being the right fit for the Huskies, but it doesn't matter what I think/Feel as I am not part of the coaching staff who will make that final decision... If she comes I will welcome her and hope for the best, but if she doesn't I'm very much Okay with that too.

why would a skilled and athletic 6'7" post player (if healthy) not be the right fit for anybody?

Carnac

Reaction Score
I hope this thread doesn't turn ugly if she doesn't commit to UCONN. I hope that everyone that's praising her won't have a bad word to say just bc she didn't come here.

Agreed. There's no reason for anyone here to do that. I'd like to think that EVERYONE here in the yard is above that sort of thing (sour grapes). If she comes here, great. If she doesn't, she was not suppose to, and we move on. We should only concern ourselves with the players that are here, not the ones that chose to go else where, and will not help us. As a collective fan base, I'd like to think that we have too much class and maturity to suggest otherwise. I've already commented that I wish her a speedy and complete recovery where ever she goes. I hope that ALL of my BY brethren (which I'm very happy to be part of) join me in that wish.

Last edited:

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
why would a skilled and athletic 6'7" post player (if healthy) not be the right fit for anybody?
Personally, I'm just not that impressed with what I have seen of her on video... Yes, She's 6-7 and you can't teach height but I just don't see her as a dominant post at the college level and beyond.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Personally, I'm just not that impressed with what I have seen of her on video... Yes, She's 6-7 and you can't teach height but I just don't see her as a dominant post at the college level and beyond.
Not sure what you’re looking at, but imo Prince has good hands, nice footwork, a soft shot from 15’ in and she runs the court. Of course I’ve only seen highlights from HS, but as a HS senior she was a more skilled player than either Brown or McGowan as college freshmen. She needs to add some muscle and spend more time banging in the post with other Bigs, two things that will almost certainly change if she comes to Storrs.

Reaction Score
(NOT Sedona Prince related, but. . . ) I disagree with this sentiment of this statement; for sure, Brittany Hunter had limitations, but it was awesome to see how well Rosemary and Geno managed her. She lasted longer, and played at a higher level, for two+ years, than most expected. And, if memory serves me, the 2007-2008 championship run was thwarted by more than Brittany's knee. Mel Thomas and Kalana Greene were also both on the bench due to their season-ending injuries.
Brit Hunter was a positive for us.

Reaction Score

there aren't many 6'7" posts who have this level of agility...................if she's able to regain her prior form she would be a major addition.............imagine moving ONO to the four to match up against bigger opponents or just regularly subbing the two during the game...............UConn hasn't had that kind of defensive deterrent in the paint since Stewie and Tuck/Stokes

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Not pretty. She broke both bones in her lower leg and it looks to have been down low. Never seen anything like it. Freakish injury. Poor kid.

Reaction Score
there aren't many 6'7" posts who have this level of agility....if she's able to regain her prior form she would be a major addition...imagine moving ONO to the four to match up against bigger opponents or just regularly subbing the two during the game.....UConn hasn't had that kind of defensive deterrent in the paint since Stewie and Tuck/Stokes

That is some serious skill for someone who is 6'7".

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Several people have opined that the "medical reasons" is a tact being employed to gain a medical waiver. What specifically is the "medical waiver"? To play immediately without waiting out a year? or a sixth year to the window of eligibility, i.e. stretch the 4 out 5 rule to 4 out of 6?
This is not a medical waiver. It will be a waiver to play immediately based on medical reasons. The NCAA used to have a provision which considered the welfare and safety of the student athlete. Proper medical care=welfare of student athlete. I say used to because the waiver guidelines ( for immediately eligibility) changed in April of 2018.
A medical waiver, one which would stretch her clock from 5 years to 6 to use her 4 years of eligibility would not have to be submitted until her current clock expires which would not be until 4 years form now.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
defensive deterrent

I prefer "defensive detriment". You come in here you are going to be detrimented ... big time.

PS. Some of these practice machines are too funny. Reasonable athlete figures out and adjusts for the resistance in 2 minutes and then it's just working on muscle memory. Problem: no defender moves like that. Still, it's work.

Carnac

Reaction Score
there aren't many 6'7" posts who have this level of agility....if she's able to regain her prior form she would be a major addition...imagine moving ONO to the four to match up against bigger opponents or just regularly subbing the two during the game.....UConn hasn't had that kind of defensive deterrent in the paint since Stewie and Tuck/Stokes

May I assume this a recent POST injury video? Didn't see any dates anywhere. :eek: I didn't see her before or after her injury last summer. I was watching the game live when she got hurt.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr