Sedona Prince Transfer Thread | Page 20 | The Boneyard

Sedona Prince Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
I was always under the impression, from their 247 Page, the Oregon was done recruiting in the 2020 class and transfer market with the exception of two names -- Hailey Van Lith and Caitlin Clark. That was because they already have a five-player class and only one scholarship remaining (unless Giomi or Yaeger
will not take their fifth year). Then Bessoir committed to UCLA, and, once again, their 247 Page said they were waiting on Clark or Van Lith.

Then came the news that Ware was visiting. She is a bit of a unique case because she is a high level dual sport athlete, so I’m not sure what her status is with both sports at Oregon. It would be very difficult to find playing time at UO if you will also be pursuing volleyball due to the major overlap in seasons as well as the talent at the 4/5 positions (Cochrane, Sabally, Watson, Dugalic).

Then it was announced Prince will also be visiting, but Prince is a talent that IMO can’t be turned down, so maybe he will just give it to Prince.

Ironic how Kelly loved his small roster and now he is running out of scholarships?

Some possibilities: 1) Despite what the 247 pages say, I don't think Oregon is a player for, or maybe even interested in, Van Lith; Clarke is another story imo;

2) Dugalic is apparently being looked at for the elder Sabally's position--a stretch 4 or maybe even a 3, since she moves very well; among other things she apparently qualified to compete in track at the state level at 400 meters; Watson (now 6'5", I believe), the younger Sabally, and Cochrane strike me as inside players, like Prince I imagine, with N.S. being closer to Hebard in body type and playing style than to her sister, but with a much more varied offensive skill set than Ruthy;

3) with the exception of last year, Graves has always given a lot of players a fair amount of time on the court; I think he was surprised at the advantages of a small roster, but I also think the injuries toward the end of last year likely pushed him back toward how he liked to operate in the past; and

4) it may be that Clarke has indicated she is going elsewhere (Notre Dame, presumably), or perhaps Morgan Yeager has said enough to dealing with chronic back problems and will leave Eugene after she receives her degree in spring 2020, or perhaps the staff thinks Prince is a too-good-to-say-no sort of deal or? In any case, I really don't think Graves is the type to run players off.

Reaction Score
Just something I thought all would appreciate. Go Huskies!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-06-26-22-55-25.png
    Screenshot_2019-06-26-22-55-25.png
    983 KB · Views: 519

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Prince is a stud and will be in a great situation at any of ND, Oregon and UCONN.

If she is eligible this upcoming year (big if) she is likely going to see big minutes at both ND and UCONN. UCONN has a major hole at the center spot but I'm guessing Geno intends to use her strictly as a center her first couple of years since he has a slew of guards/wings and primarily needs a body inside. If you watch Prince's game, she is a good inside out threat and may not love playing primarily in the low post. Who knows.

At Notre Dame she likely gets big minutes early too. A much better chance here to be a go to player during her career than if she chooses Oregon. or UCONN. Flip side of that is her squad realistically isnt going to be a strong final four contender her first couple of years.

Oregon makes sense for a lot of reasons IMO. First, they're best positioned to win a title next year with almost everyone back. She can take a year to ease into playing if she has leg issues and there isnt as much pressure initially. She'd also get a lot of reps against really good players in practice. Oregon should still be a title contender even after Hebard/Sabrina graduate and she likely takes on a more significant role as a sophomore and is likely a 2nd or 3rd option offensively. That probably isnt the case at Connecticut. She fits in perfectly as a 4/5 and Oregon's offense utilizes a ton of pick and roll action that I think she'd thrive in. She also has other incoming posts in 2020 and will be able to play on the perimeter more than she does at Connecticut primarily based on UCONN's lack of posts.

Potential downside for all 3 is that the culture and snow/rain will be something she hasnt experienced before and might take time to get used to.

More than anything though, Sedona seems like a smart girl with her choices on the table. Geno/Muffet/Kelly are arguably the top 3 coaches in womens college basketball right now and all will do an excellent job of developing her as a player. Cant go wrong with any of the 3.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
As much as I appreciate bballnut90's attempt at being fair minded in his / her analysis of what is the best fit for Sedona. I prefer, no actually refuse to give up my blue colored glasses and will stick with Tonyc's optimism and I will adhere to the belief that the best fit for Sedona is UConn. The coaching staff is the best there is, the fan base is the best there is, the history / pedigree is legendary, the preparation for the next level is exemplary and the education isn't bad. By the way, it should be noted that Tonyc hasn't lost his touch...two months ago Tony was out sayin' that he didn't specifically know who was coming to UConn but that his sources had told him that a 6'7" girl would be making the trip to UConn. He wasn't sure if she was American or foreign but he was sure that she was 6'7". I guess that would make him 100 percent correct. 50 percent for calling the height correctly and an additional 50 percent because he said she would be either American or foreign.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Prince is a stud and will be in a great situation at any of ND, Oregon and UCONN.

If she is eligible this upcoming year (big if) she is likely going to see big minutes at both ND and UCONN. UCONN has a major hole at the center spot but I'm guessing Geno intends to use her strictly as a center her first couple of years since he has a slew of guards/wings and primarily needs a body inside. If you watch Prince's game, she is a good inside out threat and may not love playing primarily in the low post. Who knows.

At Notre Dame she likely gets big minutes early too. A much better chance here to be a go to player during her career than if she chooses Oregon. or UCONN. Flip side of that is her squad realistically isnt going to be a strong final four contender her first couple of years.

Oregon makes sense for a lot of reasons IMO. First, they're best positioned to win a title next year with almost everyone back. She can take a year to ease into playing if she has leg issues and there isnt as much pressure initially. She'd also get a lot of reps against really good players in practice. Oregon should still be a title contender even after Hebard/Sabrina graduate and she likely takes on a more significant role as a sophomore and is likely a 2nd or 3rd option offensively. That probably isnt the case at Connecticut. She fits in perfectly as a 4/5 and Oregon's offense utilizes a ton of pick and roll action that I think she'd thrive in. She also has other incoming posts in 2020 and will be able to play on the perimeter more than she does at Connecticut primarily based on UCONN's lack of posts.

Potential downside for all 3 is that the culture and snow/rain will be something she hasnt experienced before and might take time to get used to.

More than anything though, Sedona seems like a smart girl with her choices on the table. Geno/Muffet/Kelly are arguably the top 3 coaches in womens college basketball right now and all will do an excellent job of developing her as a player. Cant go wrong with any of the 3.
Prince "was" a potential Stud. The biggest "if" concerns her health. A unhealthy Prince will not determine the Final Four fortunes of UCONN, Oregon, or ND this season.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While I absolutely want to see Prince in a UConn uniform, there are several questions that remain to be answered.

Her health is obviously question 1. Eligibility will also be a question as there is no guarantee that the NCAA will grant her a waiver. Finally, BIGs tend to take longer to develop a college ready game. Prince has played and practiced for exactly 0 minutes in college. If she sits out another year, that’s 2 years without real competition. Year 3 might then be a learning year and we might not see a payoff until the 21-22 season.

With that said, I repeat that I really want to see Prince in a UConn uniform.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Cantu, who's based out of Austin, seems to have the ear of the Prince family and has been tweeting quite a bit on this stage of her life. So, what I take away is that there are no trips after the bi-coastal stays in Storrs and Eugene and one visit to the midwest. Stay tuned...may know something shortly after she gets back from Oregon.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Cantu, who's based out of Austin, seems to have the ear of the Prince family and has been tweeting quite a bit on this stage of her life. So, what I take away is that there are no trips after the bi-coastal stays in Storrs and Eugene and one visit to the midwest. Stay tuned...may know something shortly after she gets back from Oregon.
Very longtime sportswriter at the Austin American-Statesman. UT women's sports seem to be one of his beats.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Well, clearly Oregon and ND were look sees for an opportunity to play with her besty and UConn was the opportunity to see how life without her would be. Frankly I think with the starting situation at Oregon being too iffy and I were her that would be a no. I think the real choice is with friend at ND (and an iffy chance of ever seeing a championship during her stay) or with acquaintances and an excellent chance of winning a championship during her stay. The ball is in her court.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't get the friend thing. She will make lots of new friends in college. There is no need to go somewhere where she already has a friend. In fact, that might hold he back from making new friends.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't get the friend thing. She will make lots of new friends in college. There is no need to go somewhere where she already has a friend. In fact, that might hold he back from making new friends.
You are right. You don't get it!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So I guess you don’t get Lou and Pheesa who were good friends and teammates from USA basketball. They came together to UConn for their recruiting visit, became best friends and both left UConn as 3 time AA’s as well as the highest scoring teammates in the history of the program.

Reaction Score
So I guess you don’t get Lou and Pheesa who were good friends and teammates from USA basketball. They came together to UConn for their recruiting visit, became best friends and both left UConn as 3 time AA’s as well as the highest scoring teammates in the history of the program.

the friend thing may mean something but sometimes it takes a back seat to the best opportunity to play for a school with superior coaching and tradition as was the recent case with Bueckers and Sam Brunelle

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
the friend thing may mean something but sometimes it takes a back seat to the best chance to play for a school with superior coaching and tradition as was the recent case with Bueckers and Sam Brunelle
I also believe that real friendships are often overstated for kids who play together on AAU, HS or all-star teams. Does Paige really view SB as a good friend or just a teammate at USA basketball?

Reaction Score
I also believe that real friendships are often overstated for kids who play together on AAU, HS or all-star teams. Does Paige really view SB as a good friend or just a teammate at USA basketball?

hard to answer that but they did travel long distances to meet up and train together along with Azzi Fudd numerous times as I remember.......................

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
hard to answer that but they did travel long distances to meet up and train together along with Azzi Fudd numerous times as I remember...

Oh gosh, the situations, possibilities and permutations are endless, are they not?

There's another board that also has spent/spends a lot of time looking at the Sam/Paige/Azzi axis and I happen to frequent both. So, I can say from over-saturation that the trio has done exactly what Oldude has stated, as well as trained, both at formal events and informal ones, as Charliebball has said. And they've supported each other, going to watch one or the other in games or exhibitions. Azzi Fudd attended Sam's announcement of a college choice and Paige was planning to be there, save for travel complications out of Minnesota.
Is one closer to one or the other? I'll save that for "high school confidential" or the next version of "Book Smart" to delve into. ;)

Still, does it all add up to "all for one and one for all?" Doubt it. There are examples of where AAU teammates might end up at the same school, such as Katlyn Gilbert and Anaya Peoples (Notre Dame), but Peoples knew she wanted to go to ND forever.

While Jess Shepard knew Bri Turner and Marina Mabrey from U.S. National Team duty and/or tryouts, she was gong to visit ND and South Carolina in the pursuit of a national championship and/or getting ready for the next level. Did it help knowing she'd be with Turner and could avoid Mabrey's near-constant calling :rolleyes: by attending ND? Who knows?

Maybe Evina remembers some good times with Megan from the National team or -- ironically -- visiting schools like ND together? But she seems to have made this decision for herself, much like Megan did initially.

My guess is that Sedona Prince will make the best decision for herself. She's got friends everywhere and that will continue. Plus, she'll make new ones wherever she goes. Good luck to her.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My daughter played ball with a girl that followed her friend instead of making her own path. She wasn't recruited by the head coach, but decided to go because one of her close friends was going there. Hasn't worked out too well for he. Due being out of shape and bad grades, she never got much playing, if she was eligible to play. She had several schools recruiting her. We all believe if she had made her own path, her college career would have been completely different. Needless to say, she isn't even going to be on the team her senior year. And this was a girl, when she was younger, wanted to follow in the steps of Brittney Griner.

Reaction Score

Wow, these are freshman. College is scary enough without adding big time, high pressure sports to the mix. You don’t get how comforting it is to have a friend on campus from day one? Once she gets there her teammates and upperclassman will take care of the rest. But freshman don’t know that going in. I totally get the friend thing, more for some people than others. It depends on how shy or outgoing you are to start with.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Still, does it all add up to "all for one and one for all?" Doubt it. There are examples of where AAU teammates might end up at the same school, such as Katlyn Gilbert and Anaya Peoples (Notre Dame), but Peoples knew she wanted to go to ND forever.
Great post, but it should be pointed out that in Nov 2016 Peoples attended 1st Night at UConn with a number of recruits including “then UConn commit” Charli Collier. Following that trip Peoples stated how impressed she was with the intensity of UConn’s practices and that she had a new goal, “to work hard enough to earn a scholarship offer from UConn.” I don’t know if she ever received that offer, but the following spring she announced her intention to attend ND. Of course, in the fall, Collier decommitted from UConn in favor of TX.

Trying to understand the mind and thought process of a teenager can often be a “fool’s errand.”

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
By the way. Since we are all trying to devine which school Ms Prince will end up at, surely one of the BY’s prognosticators can interpret her recent decision to change her Twitter photo from her team picture with the U18 team and replace it with a photo of her pet guinea pig.... :confused:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I don't understand this rude response. Completely unnecessary
Here's my view. Sedona has stated that she has had a long history of being bullied. From experience I know that when this happens friends become very important. Once found, friends then become both your emotional anchor and a lynchpin for how you deal with and make future relationships. Especially when you find that one true friend. So yeah, I understand completely why Sedona wants to play with her besty, and I wouldn't blame her if she went to ND to play with her. However, once you realize your friend is your friend no matter the distance you can venture into new environments. The trick is making a second new besty that is compatible with your other friend, and Sedona, there's a whole bunch of fine young women in Storrs eager to be your new co-besty. Just imagine the spit you can talk after you play against one another.

Reaction Score
In the unlikely event Cardoso becomes a UConn player then I'll make sure her name is spelled correctly on this board.
You may complain you may insult you may attempt to exclude: But you'll NEVER "make sure her name is spelled correctly on this board."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom