Sedona Prince Transfer Discussion Thread 2.1 [merged] | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Sedona Prince Transfer Discussion Thread 2.1 [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The key for Ono is not fouling. If she can learn that she can be the fifth scoring option and still be a very valuable player for this team.

Great point. ONO needs to be on the floor 75% of the time against quality opponents for UConn to be successful. Foul trouble will be the biggest obstacle she’ll have to overcome this year, because it's the one thing that WILL cause her to sit. Especially if she gets 2 at any time in the first half.

If she can learn how to be intimidating and stay on the floor without fouling, she’ll play a major role in any success UConn has this year.

We've seen players get technical fouls from the bench, but we've never seen anyone score or get an assist from the bench. You can’t help your team win games from the bench.

The old saying about ability is true. The best ability any player can have is availability. ONO must learn how to play without fouling!!

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
I Agree that rebounding & defense will be jobs 1 & 2 for Liv this coming season. But Geno wants to see a balanced offense, and Liv needs to have a role in that offense. While she won’t be a leading scorer, I could easily see Liv averaging 10-12 ppg.

It will be more of a challenge for her to score in double digits than get 10 rebounds a game. Remember she had 17 rebounds against ECU in the conference tournament. She should be able to do both if they look for her on the block every once in awhile.

Last edited:

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
..... I'm curious as to when you though it was "time to win the game" considering that when UCONN pushed the lead to 9 points in the 4th Quarter ONO was on the floor and when UCONN took it's last lead of the game 1:43 left it was off a KLS made basket.

You nailed it. I think that ONO was taken off when UCONN was up by 12; if it was 9, same situation.

That's where it was time to win the game; namely, good defense and trade baskets gets it done.

What happens: we never see ONO again, we can't stop ND....and, we are not trading baskets.

Sooooo - the lead disappears and ND wins going away. ND outscores us by 18 during that period.

Shouldn't have happened - ONO on the floor would have been the difference maker.

Like I said earlier: Others may disagree.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
Did you see Butler at G Mason? She led the nation in rebounding. Her hands weren't bad just not good enough for what a UConn post needs. It was the pace of play she couldn't handle. The play moved too fast. She dominated at a mid-major level.

Hmmmmmmm, I rest my case :)

Reaction Score
Great point. ONO needs to be on the floor 75% of the time against quality opponents for UConn to be successful. Foul trouble will be the biggest obstacle she’ll have to overcome this year.

If she can learn how to be intimidating and stay on the floor, she’ll play a major role in any success UConn has this year.

We’ve seen players get technical fouls from the bench, but we’ve never seen anyone score or get an assist from the bench. You can’t help your team win games from the bench.

The old saying about ability is true. The best ability any player can have is availability. ONO must learn how to play without fouling!!
This bit about "ONO" must learn NOT to FOUL is old old hat. Did you see her development from January 19 to April 19? Light years. Geno/CD are NOT siting on their hands with ONO.. ONO, unless I have lost the visibility in both eyes, Olivia Odada Nelson will be a most different player from Nov 19. I wish we'd get stuck in that grove that says: ONO is SOOOOO Improved. We need no dwell on her Early fouling prior to April--that''s like asking us to think of our Army to be as it was in 1862 old old stuff.
ONO right NOW is the key to the next FF. The success of Uconn for 2020 goes through ONO, CW, Megan< Danger--pick the last one: Griffin, Touly, Evelyn, Westbrook????

Carnac

Reaction Score
This bit about "ONO" must learn NOT to FOUL is old old hat. Did you see her development from January 19 to April 19? Light years. Geno/CD are NOT siting on their hands with ONO.. ONO, unless I have lost the visibility in both eyes, Olivia Odada Nelson will be a most different player from Nov 19. I wish we'd get stuck in that grove that says: ONO is SOOOOO Improved. We need no dwell on her Early fouling prior to April--that''s like asking us to think of our Army to be as it was in 1862 old old stuff.
ONO right NOW is the key to the next FF. The success of Uconn for 2020 goes through ONO, CW, Megan< Danger--pick the last one: Griffin, Touly, Evelyn, Westbrook????

Bellemare, I strongly disagree with your contention that ONO learning not to foul, is old hat, it's not.
She was prone to foul last year. She was using the "fly swat" technique. As long as she continues to use that method, she will foul. Yes, she got better as the season went along. But until I see otherwise during games THIS year, I'll reserve judgment on whether she's overcome that challenge yet.

I agree that she made progress as the season went along, and that her play will not only improve this season, but over the years to come. But she's not there yet. If you recall, she started for Lou when she was out with her back injury during the AAC conference tournament games in March.

In the first quarter of the UCF game, ONO picked up 2 quick fouls in the first 8 minutes. She sat the remainder of the half. She played a total of 20 minutes, 7/11. Your response suggests that ONO has already learned how to play at this level without fouling, and we no longer need to be concerned. She hasn't, not yet. She's a sophomore that still has a lot to learn about playing at this level, and playing for Geno. That includes not fouling. She remains a work in progress. She's going to make mistakes THIS year as well, just not those of the freshman variety. That's how I see it. If you see it differently, that's OK. We'll agree to disagree.

As a coach, you teach your young players as they go. You don't try and teach them everything at once. They don't go to lesson #2 until they learn and master lesson #1. A player at any position can get in foul trouble. Guards and forwards/wings can foul simply by try making contact with their man while trying to stay in front of them. Post players by trying to protect the rim (blocking shots) or picking a teammate's man that beat them driving to the basket.

A lot of thoughts are going through a player's mind when they are on the floor. Juniors and seniors don't make freshmen mistakes because of the maturity and experience that freshmen don't have. After the sophomore year, most players (at any program not just UConn) know exactly what they're doing, and what is expected of them. They're comfortable on the floor because they've been around the block several times. They know what's coming. Some freshmen have that "wide-eyed" look like Jefferson and Dangerfield had early in their freshman year, hoping they didn't make a mistake that would cause them to get pulled.

It will become "old hat" when ONO demonstrates that she can stay on the floor and play 40 minutes (if necessary), every game without getting into foul trouble. THAT remains to be seen. I am a huge ONO fan. I'm looking for her to have a breakout year this year, but I'm from Missouri, so pardon me, but I'll wait to see how she progresses THIS YEAR before I start looking for my anointing oil.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hmmmmmmm, I rest my case :)
ONO played against TOP level Division ONE TALENT --MS BUTLER at George Mason had a much lower level of competition which allowed her Uconn training to make her look exceptional. Had she stayed at Uconn she would not have shown much improvement from what we saw earlier.
It is not a knock on Butler, she was what she was and she wasn't Steff or even Asura her body style just wasnt of that nature. Earning the awards and publicity was nice but--being a rebounding expert in a tiny pool proves nothing against top talent as Uconn regularly plays. George Mason is ONE school the Uconn Bench could regularly defeat.

Reaction Score
Butler became the big fish in a little pond, nothing more, time to move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom