Sedona Prince Transfer Discussion Thread 2.1 [merged] | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Sedona Prince Transfer Discussion Thread 2.1 [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
IMO it is important because Sedona is a really good player (as is Olivia BTW) and UCONN has not had much success in recent recruiting classes landing a post player. There is room on the UCONN roster for another really good player and one could easily argue that "another" really good post play is mandatory for UCONN WBB to return to winning national championships. Selfishly I also don't want to see her in a ND or Oregon uniform.
No one in their right mind would argue with you on that!!! Your assessment of ONO is also accurate. The past season against Baylor ONO was a brand new, in-experienced, Freshman. Had Uconn played Baylor in February with the experience of the 3 assisting players (CW, Megan, ONO assisting Pheesa/KLS) the results may have been different. I liked the way ONO came on at the end of the season. Personal opinion: Had Geno trusted ONO more the results of the FF may have been different.

Reaction Score
No one in their right mind would argue with you on that!!! Your assessment of ONO is also accurate. The past season against Baylor ONO was a brand new, in-experienced, Freshman. Had Uconn played Baylor in February with the experience of the 3 assisting players (CW, Megan, ONO assisting Pheesa/KLS) the results may have been different. I liked the way ONO came on at the end of the season. Personal opinion: Had Geno trusted ONO more the results of the FF may have been different.
:cool:

Reaction Score

I do not think that we have even begun to see the true benefit of ONO. She has so much potential to play defense and most important to score. She can be coached and she learns. We will begin to see this as the season begins and how she develops into a scorer by the end of the season. By the end of the season, you will see teams double up on her leaving other UConn players to respond, and she also will end up at the foul line many times because of this. I really believe that this young woman, will be a major contributer.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I do not think that we have even begun to see the true benefit of ONO. She has so much potential to play defense and most important to score. She can be coached and she learns. We will begin to see this as the season begins and how she develops into a scorer by the end of the season. By the end of the season, you will see teams double up on her leaving other UConn players to respond, and she also will end up at the foul line many times because of this. I really believe that this young woman, will be a major contributer.
I hope you are correct but I doubt that Olivia will grown into the type of player that commands a double team next year and possibly never. My more modest projection for her is a sophomore leap similar to Megan Walker's into a steady starter, offensive contributor, defensive anchor, and the team's leading rebounder.
Offensively at best she will be UCONN's 4th option and will be 4th in shot attempts behind Crystal, Megan and CW. The 4th offensive option will hardly ever justify a double team.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
The key for Ono is not fouling. If she can learn that she can be the fifth scoring option and still be a very valuable player for this team.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Wonder why he didn't trust her more?:rolleyes:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Agreed. I said the same thing all last year. Last year was a learning and transition year for ONO and Williams. UConn’s personnel shortage last year forced Geno to use his two freshmen more than he would have preferred to. That dynamic will payoff huge dividends this year.

They enter year two with more expectations than last year. I think we will see the sophomore leap from both of them early in the season. I saw some things I really liked from ONO last year.

I look for her be much more involved in the offense the next 3 years. I’m excited for the coming season as we get to watch this team evolve to a real and legitimate team that can win it all this year.

As last year, there are only 5-6 teams that have a real chance to hoist the championship trophy in April. Those teams (the contenders) will (as they do every year) rise to the top of the standings, and separate themselves from the pretenders. Even though UConn lost their two best players, the shelf is not bare.

Dangerfield can drive this team all the way to New Orleans (site of the final four), and get number 12. This team is as talented as any of the other “legitimate” contenders for the championship. UConn will be the team to watch, and the team to beat this year.

Reaction Score
A discussion that got plenty of airtime....coaches have lots to consider, including the best way to win, and while Geno's got a pretty good track record, nothing works like playing time to improve skill sets. And, Geno has almost always deferred to guard play and shooters vs a bit more height, and an inside game. That's fine when the shots are falling, but, not so much when they aren't, and the inside game is lacking. But, its hard to argue with the success we've had. And, its easy to reflect on what could have been, as opposed to the unmatched success we've had. Speaking of success - Happy 4th!

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
...I liked the way ONO came on at the end of the season.......Had Geno trusted ONO more the results of the FF may have been different.

And, the answer is:

Geno always sets up so that Senior (starters) shine in the Tournament. Call it what you will; but, they are deservedly being rewarded for their body of work over the four years, and sooo they are going to get 38 to 40 minutes.

Last year, it was Lou's and Pheesa's time.

So, we're in the championship game and ND (down 12) are making their run; and, they are unstoppable. On the floor, we have Lou, Pheesa, Megan, Crystal and Christyn. ND is killing us on drives, pull ups and put backs as we have no one (on the floor) that can protect the rim.

And so, the situation called for ONO; BUT, who to take off?

Here's the thing - To win that game, Geno would have had to replace Lou.

A prized recruit, terrific person and competitor who gave everything for the program and in the championship game of her last year - That was NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN.

Geno is not about winning at any cost.... And so, I admire the way he handled the game and the aftermath...

Others may disagree; but, there you have it.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I hope you are correct but I doubt that Olivia will grown into the type of player that commands a double team next year and possibly never. My more modest projection for her is a sophomore leap similar to Megan Walker's into a steady starter, offensive contributor, defensive anchor, and the team's leading rebounder.
Offensively at best she will be UCONN's 4th option and will be 4th in shot attempts behind Crystal, Megan and CW. The 4th offensive option will hardly ever justify a double team.
I agree that Liv will probably not command a double team. She’s not a traditional “back to the basket” low post player like Brown or McGowan. What I do believe Liv is capable of, based on a somewhat limited sample size as a freshman, is the ability to attack a defense from a face up position at the high post.

Liv has a nice shooting form and she did knock down several foul line jumpers this past season. She also has a reasonably quick first step for a Big with the ability to put the ball on the floor and attack the basket. Finally, towards the end of the season, Liv did execute a couple nice post entry passes to both Pheesa & Megan.

While she needs to get stronger to be a better finisher against contact at the rim, I think an offseason spent hitting the weight room and working on her pass/shoot/drive moves from the high post should pay important dividends for Liv and the Huskies this coming season.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
And, the answer is:
Geno always sets up so that Senior (starters) shine in the Tournament. Call it what you will; but, they are deservedly being rewarded for their body of work over the four years, and sooo they are going to get 38 to 40 minutes.
Last year, it was Lou's and Pheesa's time.
So, we're in the championship game and ND (down 12) are making their run; and, they are unstoppable. On the floor, we have Lou, Pheesa, Megan, Crystal and Christyn. ND is killing us on drives, pull ups and put backs as we have no one (on the floor) that can protect the rim.
And so, the situation called for ONO; BUT, who to take off?
Here's the thing - To win that game, Geno would have had to replace Lou.
A prized recruit, terrific person and competitor who gave everything for the program and in the championship game of her last year - That was NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN.
Geno is not about winning at any cost.... And so, I admire the way he handled the game and the aftermath...
Others may disagree; but, there you have it.
It is not so much that I disagree, just think your explanation is overly complex. Specifically I don't think Geno is overly loyal to seniors. If the objective was to keep the senior starters in the game then Geno could have pulled Freshmen CW, Sophomore MW, or Junior CD. Azura Stevens was a RS senior the year prior and Natalie Butler was also a RS senior the year prior to that. I think it's this simple: if Geno though ONO, or Azura or Natalie could have helped win those games Geno would have played them more than he did.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
It is not so much that I disagree, just think your explanation is overly complex. Specifically I don't think Geno is overly loyal to seniors. If the objective was to keep the senior starters in the game then Geno could have pulled Freshmen CW, Sophomore MW, or Junior CD. Azura Stevens was a RS senior the year prior and Natalie Butler was also a RS senior the year prior to that. I think it's this simple: if Geno though ONO, or Azura or Natalie could have helped win those games Geno would have played them more than he did.

You miss the point.
When it was time to win the game, the situation was - Lou was getting shutout by ND and we had no one inside to protect the rim. Lou wasn't rebounding (1 or 2 all game), nor getting points; whereas, everyone else was doing their job.

As to Stevens and Butler:
1) Stevens was a transfer in and an RS junior. Agreed she should have payed a lot more and we would have won. However, Geno expected to win it while ensuring that Stevens came back for a second year. A simple miscalculation :)

2) Butler, to put it mildly, didn't have a good set of hands. She even had trouble picking the ball off the floor at times, and she couldn't jump over bread crumbs.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
By the way, breaking news on the Kawhi Leonard announcement. Brace yourselves.

There will be no announcement today. Kinda gets you right here, doesn't it?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I agree that Liv will probably not command a double team. She’s not a traditional “back to the basket” low post player like Brown or McGowan. What I do believe Liv is capable of, based on a somewhat limited sample size as a freshman, is the ability to attack a defense from a face up position at the high post.

Liv has a nice shooting form and she did knock down several foul line jumpers this past season. She also has a reasonably quick first step for a Big with the ability to put the ball on the floor and attack the basket. Finally, towards the end of the season, Liv did execute a couple nice post entry passes to both Pheesa & Megan.

While she needs to get stronger to be a better finisher against contact at the rim, I think an offseason spent hitting the weight room and working on her pass/shoot/drive moves from the high post should pay important dividends for Liv and the Huskies this coming season.
At least for 2020-21, the key measures of success for ONO will be rebounds and blocks, not scoring and not whether she occupies two defenders. If (along with Megan and the 5th starter) she can help to limit even good teams like Baylor and Oregon to one shot on most possessions, and can protect the rim, she will be doing all that is needed from her to allow UConn to win an NC. Scoring can come in subsequent years.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You miss the point.
When it was time to win the game,
the situation was - Lou was getting shutout by ND and we had no one inside to protect the rim. Lou wasn't rebounding (1 or 2 all game), nor getting points; whereas, everyone else was doing their job.

As to Stevens and Butler:
1) Stevens was a transfer in and an RS junior. Agreed she should have payed a lot more and we would have won. However, Geno expected to win it while ensuring that Stevens came back for a second year. A simple miscalculation :)

2) Butler, to put it mildly, didn't have a good set of hands. She even had trouble picking the ball off the floor at times, and she couldn't jump over bread crumbs.
I must be. I'm curious as to when you though it was "time to win the game" considering that when UCONN pushed the lead to 9 points in the 4th Quarter ONO was on the floor and when UCONN took it's last lead of the game 1:43 left it was off a KLS made basket.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
N

No, on level of importance. But she has the one commodity not teachable. Six Ft 7 inches. Great health or not so great, if she can play--that's a plus. As pointed out above--I'd rather see her in a UConn Uniform than ND, Baylor, Tx, Louisville, nearly anyone else. That seems to answer the question of---DO WE WANT HER???
@Carnac---theses days Prince is the only reason to look at the BY.
I actually like the posted threads on the songs more than waiting for her to make a decision.:D

Reaction Score
By the way, breaking news on the Kawhi Leonard announcement. Brace yourselves.

There will be no announcement today. Kinda gets you right here, doesn't it?
At this point, I'm just gonna sue Kawhi for emotional distress.

Reaction Score

Did you see Butler at G Mason? She led the nation in rebounding. Her hands weren't bad just not good enough for what a UConn post needs. It was the pace of play she couldn't handle. The play moved too fast. She dominated at a mid-major level.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
At least for 2020-21, the key measures of success for ONO will be rebounds and blocks, not scoring and not whether she occupies two defenders. If (along with Megan and the 5th starter) she can help to limit even good teams like Baylor and Oregon to one shot on most possessions, and can protect the rim, she will be doing all that is needed from her to allow UConn to win an NC. Scoring can come in subsequent years.
I Agree that rebounding & defense will be jobs 1 & 2 for Liv this coming season. But Geno wants to see a balanced offense, and Liv needs to have a role in that offense. While she won’t be a leading scorer, I could easily see Liv averaging 10-12 ppg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom