8th best effective FG%
6th best true Shooting%
15th Best Defensive Rebounding %
21st Best Assist Rate
10th Best steal %
9th Best FT%
24th best 2pt%
11th best 3pt%

He was 2nd on the team in scoring, first in rebounds, 3rd in 2pt %, first in 3pt%, first in steals, 2nd in FT%, got to the line more often than any other guard.

Would you say that someone that leads the team in scoring, rebounding, steals, and is second in assists is our best player? Because that’s what he’ll do this year.

Reaction Score
Vitals conference stats:

7th best offenive efficiency rating
8th best effective FG%
6th best true Shooting%
21st Best Assist Rate
10th Best steal %
9th Best FT%
24th best 2pt%
11th best 3pt%

He was 2nd on the team in scoring, first in rebounds, 3rd in 2pt %, first in 3pt%, first in steals, 2nd in FT%, got to the line more often than any other guard.

Would you say that someone that leads the team in scoring, rebounding, steals, and is second in assists is our best player? Because that’s what he’ll do this year.

The tragedy of Vital's career is that he is an A+ complimentary player for a championship level squad, but due to his one fault as a player, his inability to handle/playmake, he simply cannot be a lead player on offense. And since his career has happened to coincide with the worst UConn squads in the past 3 decades, he's been miscast as a player that needs to do more than he is capable. Add in what seems to be a bit of an overinflated sense of his game, and its been a tough run for Christian.

I'm hopeful now that the offensive talent is upgraded, he can truly fit into his ideal space as an awesome defender/rebounder/shooter and let other people dictate the offense. He deserves an awesome senior year, kid is a warrior.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
On a good team, maybe. But nobody on this team can create their own shot and that's the biggest issue

Obviously don't know for certain, but I don't think Bouk is gonna have much trouble there.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
We're not and never will be Syracuse
Ideally not but the personnel we have right now screams zone. Akok and Polley aren’t going to be able to match up with the wings we have in conference. They are long enough to cover space in a zone though.

Reaction Score
Yes he's a good player. But it's really hard to call someone 'the best player' when they cannot create their own shot.
My expectation is alterique and josh are the two best players this year. If vital is third then bouknight, Sid and company following makes for a very very nice upcoming season.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
It’s still the closest thing we’re going to get to try and predict this teams season. It’s a decent indicator
By its very nature, I wouldn't give a game like this any value as a predictor of the season, unless they were absolutely terrible (which would be concerning), but they weren't.

A positive outcome against a credible opponent (playing for the same, limited purpose) serves only to increase my eagerness to see them, and it's near enough.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I'll take it.

They played well without a couple of key subs.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Vitals conference stats:

8th best effective FG%
6th best true Shooting%
21st Best Assist Rate
10th Best steal %
9th Best FT%
24th best 2pt%
11th best 3pt%

I'm not trying to dog on Vital, but you can't seriously believe we'll be any good if our 3 and D 6'2 off guard is leading the team in scoring. We also should hope he isn't leading us in rebounding either, otherwise josh and akok aren't very good. He was the second best player last year on a bad team, why would being the best player on this team make us any better?

Reaction Score
Vitals conference stats:

8th best effective FG%
6th best true Shooting%
21st Best Assist Rate
10th Best steal %
9th Best FT%
24th best 2pt%
11th best 3pt%

You come on here and do the same routine in almost every thread. We get it, Vital is a good player. But you don’t seem to understand his limitations are critical and they will and have kept him from being an ‘elite’ player.

Second team All AAC is about the ceiling for Vital. The truth is we won’t be saying that for Bouk, Gaff, Akok and future Hurley recruits.

Those guys could be 1st team All Big East caliber eventually.

So please stop trying to convince me of something that i know is not true. The kid has grit and heart and I’m happy we have him for another year. But he is by no means in the ‘elite’ class of UConn guards. Sorry.

That said I hope he has the most productive year of his life because I want us to win this season and I look forward to see his relentless effort on display

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Vital has always been aggressive offensively, we will have to ride with that along with Josh until the others come along, particularly Bouk. Strong contributions from Bouk, Akok, Sid and Whaley could get us into the 2nd round of the tournament this year.

Reaction Score
You come on here and do the same routine in almost every thread. We get it, Vital is a good player. But you don’t seem to understand his limitations are critical and they will and have kept him from being an ‘elite’ player.

Second team All AAC is about the ceiling for Vital. The truth is we won’t be saying that for Bouk, Gaff, Akok and future Hurley recruits.

Those guys could be 1st team All Big East caliber eventually.

So please stop trying to convince me of something that i know is not true. The kid has grit and heart and I’m happy we have him for another year. But he is by no means in the ‘elite’ class of UConn guards. Sorry.

That said I hope he has the most productive year of his life because I want us to win this season and I look forward to see his relentless effort on display

When did I say he was in the elite class of UConn guards? He’s not. But He’s a hell of a lot better than any other guard on our roster this year. Bouknight/Gaffney/Akok have the potential to be great, but they’re freshman. Let me know when they’re top 10 in 6 categories in the conference. It won’t be this year.

If you’re so confident he won’t be the best player I’ll give you 2 to 1 odds that he won’t be our leading scorer this year.

$100 sound good?

Reaction Score
They gave up 80 to a Harvard team without Seth Towns, not exactly the defensive showing I was expecting after reading posts like this.
Points given up is not always a true indicator of a good defensive team. If a team plays up tempo there will be many more possessions than if a team runs down the shot clock every possession. Points given up per defensive possession is a much better indicator.

Reaction Score
When did I say he was in the elite class of UConn guards? He’s not. But He’s a hell of a lot better than any other guard on our roster this year. Bouknight/Gaffney/Akok have the potential to be great, but they’re freshman. Let me know when they’re top 10 in 6 categories in the conference. It won’t be this year.

If you’re so confident he won’t be the best player I’ll give you 2 to 1 odds that he won’t be our leading scorer this year.

$100 sound good?
Love how we have a bet opportunity on the players. Is this even legal? Someone has to take this for entertainment purposes

Reaction Score
A couple of things:

If they did win 86-80 even without Towns in the lineup, this is a good thing and I have no idea how it couldn't be. They also had some missing pieces and our lead guard went 4-18 they we still found a way to get 86. Guessing Alterique will need to shoot 50% more often when we're trying to get 86 or more during the season so they found other options which is nice to see. Harvard is a solid team, one we would've especially struggled against the last few years so a nice experience for the team. Wish Bouk and Gaff were able to experience they need that time. Springs a DNP? Anyway Whaley 8/4/2 that's a nice contribution, could get used to that. Hopefully one of the hordes give us a nice rundown on the game and a bit more detail if they are allowed. I mean 6/4/1 for Akok did he look like he belonged or does he have a ways to go? Sid? etc etc..

And the Vital arguments will always be there. I was always a fan of his aggressiveness, motor and earlier on in his career his potential. But never liked his inability to play under control while taking shots from everywhere and anywhere. Add to it the idea of throwing our name in the NBA hat after year 2 - wow! He improved late soph year and really improved under DH last year. I mean those who argue about him being the best player have a right, the kid fills the stat sheet and works his tail off. He's a great rebounder for his size and position to top it off. I've done a 360 on the kid over his career, not saying he's the best player on the team as we speak but love him being a rep of the Huskies and how they play the game. That's enough for me. I'd like to have about 10 best players on the team this year all for their own reasons so we can win again. Leave the arguments on this to the BY, just get me 20-23 wins with everyone doing their job as they are tasked.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
If you don't really like something you've read here, then why say that you love, or that others gotta love it, or that it'll be fun for it to continue?

Isn't that essentially wishing for something you don't want?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
What were Sid's stats?
hopefully, a breakfast of 3 boneyard b.e.c sammiches, a couple of donuts, and a banana or two, followed by a lunch of 4 big macs, large fries, and two milkshakes. then a nice dinner of popeye's family spread with all the fixins. throw in a few bags of doritos thruout the day, some apples, and now we're talking progress. who cares about his cholesterol, a1c, and all that other mumbojumbo? kid needs to eat, and those hoop stats will take of themselves nicely. beastin' sid, kinda catchy donchuthink?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Here is the comparison you are looking for, didn't we lose this game last year?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom