Secret Scrimmage | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Secret Scrimmage

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
The tragedy of Vital's career is that he is an A+ complimentary player for a championship level squad, but due to his one fault as a player, his inability to handle/playmake, he simply cannot be a lead player on offense. And since his career has happened to coincide with the worst UConn squads in the past 3 decades, he's been miscast as a player that needs to do more than he is capable. Add in what seems to be a bit of an overinflated sense of his game, and its been a tough run for Christian.

I'm hopeful now that the offensive talent is upgraded, he can truly fit into his ideal space as an awesome defender/rebounder/shooter and let other people dictate the offense. He deserves an awesome senior year, kid is a warrior.
This is the best and most realistic assessment of CV and his game I've ever seen here.

Reaction Score
back of envelope: AA 6, JC 12, CV 23, IW 8, Tyler Phommachanh 16, AG 8? = 83

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Vital was 7 of 17, I don't know if I'd call that efficient.
I'm not a member of CV's fan club and I think you're searching if you're criticizing 7-17 from a guard in a win against a good team. Especially if that 7 contains a few 3's.

Reaction Score
back of envelope: AA 6, JC 12, CV 23, IW 8, Tyler Phommachanh 16, AG 8? = 83
Not sure what math you’re doing but AG had 16, so those total 81. 5 more points between Adams and Sid?

Reaction Score
Amore said: Tyler Polley was 6 for 8, Christian Vital 7 for 17, Alterique Gilbert 4 for 18 . So 4x2=8? even 4x3=12, so where was CV at 16? Didn't see it, so like I said 'back of envelope'.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
A couple of things:

If they did win 86-80 even without Towns in the lineup, this is a good thing and I have no idea how it couldn't be. They also had some missing pieces and our lead guard went 4-18 they we still found a way to get 86. Guessing Alterique will need to shoot 50% more often when we're trying to get 86 or more during the season so they found other options which is nice to see. Harvard is a solid team, one we would've especially struggled against the last few years so a nice experience for the team. Wish Bouk and Gaff were able to experience they need that time. Springs a DNP? Anyway Whaley 8/4/2 that's a nice contribution, could get used to that. Hopefully one of the hordes give us a nice rundown on the game and a bit more detail if they are allowed. I mean 6/4/1 for Akok did he look like he belonged or does he have a ways to go? Sid? etc etc..

And the Vital arguments will always be there. I was always a fan of his aggressiveness, motor and earlier on in his career his potential. But never liked his inability to play under control while taking shots from everywhere and anywhere. Add to it the idea of throwing our name in the NBA hat after year 2 - wow! He improved late soph year and really improved under DH last year. I mean those who argue about him being the best player have a right, the kid fills the stat sheet and works his tail off. He's a great rebounder for his size and position to top it off. I've done a 360 on the kid over his career, not saying he's the best player on the team as we speak but love him being a rep of the Huskies and how they play the game. That's enough for me. I'd like to have about 10 best players on the team this year all for their own reasons so we can win again. Leave the arguments on this to the BY, just get me 20-23 wins with everyone doing their job as they are tasked.
Not having Bouknight, Springs and Gaffney play is a lost opportunity and hurts.

Without observing the game it's impossible to determine if there is improvement from last season. We have no clue what Harvard worked on to determine if the level of play was better, the same or worse.

Biggest negative for me is Alterique going 4-18. I had hoped with a full summer of practice he would have been more productive than that.

Reaction Score
Biggest negative for me is Alterique going 4-18. I had hoped with a full summer of practice he would have been more productive than that.

AG has been a poor 2pt finisher at UConn. If he doesn't improve in that area (and that improvement likely would come from health and coaching/scheme in addition to skill development), there's a pretty firm ceiling on where UConn can go this season. He also needs to be more consistent from 3pt.

Reaction Score
When did I say he was in the elite class of UConn guards? He’s not. But He’s a hell of a lot better than any other guard on our roster this year. Bouknight/Gaffney/Akok have the potential to be great, but they’re freshman. Let me know when they’re top 10 in 6 categories in the conference. It won’t be this year.

If you’re so confident he won’t be the best player I’ll give you 2 to 1 odds that he won’t be our leading scorer this year.

$100 sound good?
Knew you wouldn’t understand my point. Vital will be the leading scorer this year. He is the senior leader. But he is playing on a team with players that have much higher ceilings than he does.

So I don’t consider him our “best” player. I consider him our current and best leader. There is a major difference.

There will be games against P5 competition where Vital will have to defer to those players which higher ceilings, when his limitations are exposed.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
AG has been a poor 2pt finisher at UConn. If he doesn't improve in that area (and that improvement likely would come from health and coaching/scheme in addition to skill development), there's a pretty firm ceiling on where UConn can go this season. He also needs to be more consistent from 3pt.
His efficiency has been atrocious. I think it’s mental, he’s affraid of contact because of the shoulder. Good guards seek out contact around the rim and finish through it, he avoids contact at all costs, often settling for long range 2s.

Last edited:

ctchamps

Reaction Score
If he doesn't improve than someone else has to step up in his role and be more productive. That's a long shot.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
hopefully, a breakfast of 3 boneyard b.e.c sammiches, a couple of donuts, and a banana or two, followed by a lunch of 4 big macs, large fries, and two milkshakes. then a nice dinner of popeye's family spread with all the fixins. throw in a few bags of doritos thruout the day, some apples, and now we're talking progress. who cares about his cholesterol, a1c, and all that other mumbojumbo? kid needs to eat, and those hoop stats will take of themselves nicely. beastin' sid, kinda catchy donchuthink?
No 'shrooms?

Reaction Score
Amore said: Tyler Polley was 6 for 8, Christian Vital 7 for 17, Alterique Gilbert 4 for 18 . So 4x2=8? even 4x3=12, so where was CV at 16? Didn't see it, so like I said 'back of envelope'.
Jeff Goodman’s tweet and Gavin Keefe’s said AG had 16 but was 4-18 from the field. He could still score from free throws. He also said Polley had 18 not 16. So that’s 83 right there.
C02029D6-D1EE-4B4A-B18E-A03C80E45ADE.png

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I'm not a member of CV's fan club and I think you're searching if you're criticizing 7-17 from a guard in a win against a good team. Especially if that 7 contains a few 3's.

I'm not criticizing him by stating that 41% isn't super efficient. It's not terrible by any stretch, just not efficient.

Reaction Score
One game. Controlled scrimmage at that. Tough to make an an overall statement like that from such a small sample size.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
One game. Controlled scrimmage at that. Tough to make an an overall statement like that from such a small sample size.
Obviously. The future is not written.
However there were many games last season with those type of numbers. 4-18 is a little frightening no matter what type of venue or what part of the season for any player never mind the consensus most important player.

I’m not writing off the season by any stretch. If Al had gone 11-18 I would have stated that’s the most significant positive development. I would also know it doesn’t indicate what lies in the future but it would have provided me some hope he might have turned the corner.

Reaction Score

Most of his poor finishing is trying to get too deep on penetration to the rim. He rarely finishes and gets many shots blocked, it’s like a TO needs to cut down on that big time. I disagree with those who think he’s afraid of contact that’s not true actually wish he was a little more. Jalen A stayed away from contact not AG but AG needs to stick to floaters and kick outs rather than get too deep.

Let’s not think that one 4-18 shooting game means he didn’t work on his shooting or he won’t be more efficient. We don’t know why because everything was a secret.

Reaction Score
Kemba scored 12 points on 4-18 shooting in his opening game with the Celtics. Obviously that's what the Celtics can expect from him all year...

Yea, jeez guys...there is such thing as a bad shooting night :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom