Secret Scrimmage v Harvard | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Secret Scrimmage v Harvard

Reaction Score
Did you make up absolute bullcrap about our coach getting into an argument with his players a few pages ago? Kind of like how you posted on the CR board about James Madison joining the AAC?
What?

Reaction Score
Based on his comments, it'd be surprising if anything serious happened between Hurley and Vital: “I love the way Christian [Vital] competed. He didn’t shoot particularly well, but he really got after it. The way that Tarin [Smith] and Al and Christian got after it defensively, and Brendan [Adams] at times, they looked like guys that could have played for me at my other places, where we’ve gotten after people at the perimeter.”

And... Jalen and Sid get benched for being late, but nothing happens to Vital for getting into a "screaming match" with the head coach in a scrimmage with another D1 team?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
We don’t actually know if the Vital fight even occurred. Since what I was told ended up being true, I asked about the Vital fight and was told no further info. I’d probably say 50/50z

Even if it did, Hurley praised vital profusely post scrimmage, so sounds like they're all good

Edit: eh tcf beat me to it.

C

Chief00

Based on his comments, it'd be surprising if anything serious happened between Hurley and Vital: “I love the way Christian [Vital] competed. He didn’t shoot particularly well, but he really got after it. The way that Tarin [Smith] and Al and Christian got after it defensively, and Brendan [Adams] at times, they looked like guys that could have played for me at my other places, where we’ve gotten after people at the perimeter.”

And... Jalen and Sid get benched for being late, but nothing happens to Vital for getting into a "screaming match" with the head coach in a scrimmage with another D1 team?

Chief00 thinks with Hurley competing hard carries a lot of weight - if in that heat of competition someone says or does something stupid - Hurley will have more leniency compared to someone doing something that implies he doesn’t care.
That is one way he’s a little different than Calhoun. Calhoun was fine with an occasional player fight in the heat of competition but if you ever talked back to him or said something negative about him - just ask Doug Wiggins how that went.

Reaction Score
I have a reliable source that told me the final score was 85-76. Gilbert and CV played well and the ball movement on offense was much improved from last year. Outside of Cobb, the front court didn't play too well, but overall, the team looked good for a late October scrimmage.

Reaction Score

92D95009-30E4-4730-96CA-07CB191C9AC2.jpeg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Chief00 thinks with Hurley competing hard carries a lot of weight - if in that heat of competition someone says or does something stupid - Hurley will have more leniency compared to someone doing something that implies he doesn’t care.
That is one way he’s a little different than Calhoun. Calhoun was fine with an occasional player fight in the heat of competition but if you ever talked back to him or said something negative about him - just ask Doug Wiggins how that went.
Then asked Doug how Calhoun treated him when he was down on his luck and reached out to Coach.

C

Chief00

Then asked Doug how Calhoun treated him when he was down on his luck and reached out to Coach.

He treated him well then. As you know, I love Calhoun and think he’s a very good man.

One of the incidents I was thinking of was when Calhoun was out due to a health issue and Doug had an excellent game with George coaching.

When reporters asked Doug why he played so well, he said he was more relaxed with George. I instantly thought then his UConn career was over after his best game and I was right. LOL
True, you can attribute it to check the box on a long list of stuff but that’s honestly what I thought at that moment.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Twist people's words?

In post #191 in this thread (Secret Scrimmage v Harvard), you mention his "horrific leadership." Don't people tend to be horrified by the things that they call "horrific?"

Furthermore, I couldn't care less about "likes" and have no idea why you would bring it up.

I'll let him answer for himself but it is entirely possible to not be horrified by horrific actions.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Crimes of commission (hot headed) can earn respect of coaches whereas crimes of omission (effort) draw their ire.

Reaction Score
So a random
High school coach has the box score of this scrimmage but we don’t? No one thinks this is silly?
I'm guessing certain players have leaked their own stats to friends (former coaches), but no one has leaked an entire box score as of yet. I'm thinking we already know the most important things:
  1. We're better than last year already.
  2. Still not that good.
  3. AG is going to be good, and is shooting well.
  4. Our front court is bad right now.
  5. Hurley is running a tight ship.

Reaction Score
Tony Hanson
except for the hair

Attachments

• CF269F7B-F318-498A-B36B-3CE8FBBBF2BA.jpeg
    CF269F7B-F318-498A-B36B-3CE8FBBBF2BA.jpeg
    114.4 KB · Views: 7

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I feel like maybe he spoke to the kid that played for him and got the stats.

Sure, but ever other nationally regarded program gets the stats out... Why are we so okay with being average at everything? Even little things that don’t even matter...

Reaction Score
From the New Haven Register.

Gilbert, who has had multiple shoulder surgeries over the past few years, “was very impressive, real confident in his health. He played with joy. His energy was infections and his speed was apparent ... and he really shot the ball well from 3.”

“For us to be better than what people think, we’ve got to be better on our overall defensive mindset, work on getting stops, getting out running, 3-point line defense and overall rebounding,” said Hurley. “I thought we were soft there. You don’t go from bad to good at those things really quickly. You’ve got to battle. It’s not easy to get good at hard things.”

Jalen Adams, Sid Wilson held out of UConn’s closed-door scrimmage due to violation of team rules
I was away and didn’t get the news on them not playing Sid and Jalen. Unpush panick button. The idea that Gilbert was playing like a 5 star and making 3 pointers should have all of us psyched. Before Gilbert went down and even nowhere near 100% he was coming on and showing his impact last year so this is the news we have all been looking for. Adding a player of his skill is a big deal, and I don’t get hung up on who is the leader on the floor or in the clubhouse. Jalen’s talent is undeniable and he will probably still lead the team in scoring. Hurley is at the stage where he is putting the meat in the grinder.

Reaction Score
In the way back machine, when we were recruiting Gilbert, there was a link to his high school statistics online year by year. According to that data he had shot slightly over 50% from 3 point range each year in high school on a large number of attempts. He matched that in his senior year Dick's Sporting Goods tournament that was the only full game of his I saw televised. It is great to see he was 4-7 from 3 pt range in this scrimmage, but for me it is because it is evidence he hasn't lost his touch with the injuries and layoff, rather than developing some new skill.

Reaction Score
Need at least one frontcourt player to take s big step forward from last year. Sounds like none did for the scrimmage. Incremental improvement at the 4/5 spot won’t get us into the tourney.

Reaction Score
Need at least one frontcourt player to take s big step forward from last year. Sounds like none did for the scrimmage. Incremental improvement at the 4/5 spot won’t get us into the tourney.
Yeah, it's not too late though! I like that Hurley is being really forward about the frontcourt in the press. He's making sure all of those dudes know that we need them and that a starting spot is up for grabs. Really hoping someone can separate themselves from the pack. Also, Wilson didn't play and he's got as much promise as any of our taller players.

Reaction Score
Sure, but ever other nationally regarded program gets the stats out... Why are we so okay with being average at everything? Even little things that don’t even matter...

It's not that we can't, it's that Hurley doesn't want to release the stats, because he doesn't think it resembles a real game enough to do so.

Reaction Score
I spoke too soon. Cobb with 14 is a big step up. If he can become a factor at the 4 spot, then we can slide Polley over to the 3, and play AG and Jalen at guard. Won’t have to go with a three guard starring lineup, CV comes off the bench.

Reaction Score
I spoke too soon. Cobb with 14 is a big step up. If he can become a factor at the 4 spot, then we can slide Polley over to the 3, and play AG and Jalen at guard. Won’t have to go with a three guard starring lineup, CV comes off the bench.
Don’t think we’ll face many 4s that Cobb is quick enough to guard defensively.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom