Secret Scrimmage #2 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Secret Scrimmage #2

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
For all we know, Rutgers probably treated this like a real game and Hurley treated it as a practice with refs and we still only lost by 8 lol. This is why Hurley was pissed about the Harvard score being leaked. He doesn’t want anyone to take away from these scrimmages because he’s not treating them like real games. They’re experimental

He can't really be pissed, can he? He has to know this info is going to get out.

Reaction Score
Ton of preseason speculation as to who will be our shooters this year. May I point out that regardless of scrimmages or reporters tweets in a few weeks we’ll have our own eyeballs to trust. Also we have a tendency to go hog wild with positive conclusions after early cupcake games. Shouldn’t do that either. We’re going to know a lot but it will be end of December when that happens.

Reaction Score
Bottom line we have to wait to see who is gonna step up as the go to guy or guys or maybe they dont exist yet but we have a good recruiting class in place as freshman and building a solid future ahead ..

Reaction Score
I’ve been of the opinion since last season ended that we have a very talented deep team that’s going to win and lose a ton of rock fights this year. My hope is someone pulls away from the pack by the mid point in term of scoring. If we are as successful as last year I’ll be happy. I still think we’re a year away from being a season long top 25 team and I believe that the player or players that make it happen are on this year’s squad. If I’m wrong and it all shakes out this year I’ll be thrilled.

Reaction Score
I’m not familiar with this Rutgers team but if they pretty much have a set nucleus of a team given comparable athleticism they have a huge early season advantage over a team like UConn which has one or two position players set. That’s why you play early season cupcakes.
We also have one of the oldest rosters in the league. We have 5 guys who are already 22 years old.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
He can't really be pissed, can he? He has to know this info is going to get out.
No reason for him to be pissed in the first place
Who really cares? These "secret" scrimmages are strange - Why not collect a minimal amount to attend and both teams can donate the gate to a charity of their choice?
If DH is pissed, so be it, he's a big boy and he'll have to handle it......................................

Reaction Score
Didnt Duke or Syracuse lose their scrimmage to Clown Fairy State a couple years ago or something?

Reaction Score
No one should get too excited/deflated by exhibition games. Those who've been around a while know that too often winning them, and early season cupcake games, is like Fool's Gold.

Also, as focused as DH is, he probably doesn't want a crowd oohing and aahing over plays that excite the fans but aren't in keeping with what he wants from his players.

Reaction Score
I'm sure he knew it would leak, but he was mad about people drawing conclusions from the results.

“It’s so far away from a realistic game,” Hurley said after Tuesday’s practice at the Werth practice facility. “None of that stuff should go public. It should be kept in-house. You shouldn’t talk about individual players’ performances. There’s no game planning and no scouting going in. It’s not a game-like situation.”

He also mentioned that he literally was going out on the floor to correct players in the wrong positions lol. It's basically a walkthrough game, it means nothing whether we lost by 10 or won by 30.

Reaction Score
I'm sure he knew it would leak, but he was mad about people drawing conclusions from the results.

“It’s so far away from a realistic game,” Hurley said after Tuesday’s practice at the Werth practice facility. “None of that stuff should go public. It should be kept in-house. You shouldn’t talk about individual players’ performances. There’s no game planning and no scouting going in. It’s not a game-like situation.”

He also mentioned that he literally was going out on the floor to correct players in the wrong positions lol. It's basically a walkthrough game, it means nothing whether we lost by 10 or won by 30.

I have not been to a UConn secret scrimmage, but I have been in the gym for a secret scrimmage for other schools. It's really closer to a 5v5 practice run-through than a game. You just happen to have another D1 roster on the floor with you.

Unlimited timeouts and substitutions. It was refereed, but no one could foul out (I think). Coaches walk on the floor, call a "timeout" to get guys in position, and then restart the play. That kind of stuff.

It's really, really helpful as a coach because you get reps against high-level athletes that don't know your team. But it's hardly a game. I can see why the coaches would get annoyed by people reading too much into stats.

Reaction Score
I have not been to a UConn secret scrimmage, but I have been in the gym for a secret scrimmage for other schools. It's really closer to a 5v5 practice run-through than a game. You just happen to have another D1 roster on the floor with you.

Unlimited timeouts and substitutions. It was refereed, but no one could foul out (I think). Coaches walk on the floor, call a "timeout" to get guys in position, and then restart the play. That kind of stuff.

It's really, really helpful as a coach because you get reps against high-level athletes that don't know your team. But it's hardly a game. I can see why the coaches would get annoyed by people reading too much into stats.
yup, now if this was an exhibition game with scouting, normal rules, etc and we lost by 8 then sure there's a slight reason to be concerned. But these scrimmages are literally just like the joint practices that NFL teams have with each other before their preseason games.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Ton of preseason speculation as to who will be our shooters this year. May I point out that regardless of scrimmages or reporters tweets in a few weeks we’ll have our own eyeballs to trust. Also we have a tendency to go hog wild with positive conclusions after early cupcake games. Shouldn’t do that either.
It’s like you don’t know us at all anymore.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's called the Pitt approach
Man, I hated those guys back then. It was like you were playing against semi pros and they were inevitably “chippy“.

arch

Reaction Score
yup, now if this was an exhibition game with scouting, normal rules, etc and we lost by 8 then sure there's a slight reason to be concerned. But these scrimmages are literally just like the joint practices that NFL teams have with each other before their preseason games.
Do they keep score?

Reaction Score

Pissed? No. It falls more in the category of mild annoyance but, as you said, to be expected. He’s protective of his players and the resulting chatter that comes from these types of games is just kind of unfair. But, people are excited, and that‘s a trade-off any coach will take,

These games are wild, though. The score, for example, will be one thing and a coach will stop play and have his guys run a play as if it’s something else to work on a specific situation.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Part of me wonders why they keep score and box scores if it's just a glorified practice? I guess it doesn't hurt, but obviously it's hard not to get excited when you hear Sanogo went 8/13.

Reaction Score
Pissed? No. It falls more in the category of mild annoyance but, as you said, to be expected. He’s protective of his players and the resulting chatter that comes from these types of games is just kind of unfair. But, people are excited, and that‘s a trade-off any coach will take,

These games are wild, though. The score, for example, will be one thing and a coach will stop play and have his guys run a play as if it’s something else to work on a specific situation.
They need to just be called joint practices, stop the confusion for some people lol

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom