Secret Scrimmage #2 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Secret Scrimmage #2

Reaction Score
Just a heads up. UCONN is scrimmaging Rutgers at 11AM in Storrs. Hopefully some good info comes out. Looking forward to the Sanogo-Omoruyi matchup.

This will be a much better test than Harvard as, according to RU beat writers, RU handled Nova in a scrimmage a couple weekends ago. Ron Harper Junior was the top scorer and Omoruyi was “unstoppable”
Also @mods can we have an autocorrect for UCONN —> UConn like we do for A.D.D.B.? We have the technology might as well use it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It’s absolutely insane that people are making assumptions about players and the season as a whole based on a secret scrimmage game they know literally nothing about.
Insane, and yet not surprising.

Keep in mind that these secrets scrimmages are basically glorified playground games. Hurley has been clear that he isn’t running his offense in them. So it is size against size, skill against skill, athleticism against athleticism. We’ve got a lot of each but so does Rutgers. I’m not quite ready to burn my UConn gear quite yet. We will be fine.

Reaction Score
he’s not going to be a go-to scorer against top competition, due to his size/athleticism limitations. he’ll be fine against weaker teams, but we will need someone else to step into that role on the perimeter for this team to reach it’s full potential.

hawkins is the obvious candidate, but probably a year too soon for him. jackson would be another, if he somehow made major strides on his jumpshot. or gaffney if he completes his narrative arc as the cowardly lion and gains some courage.

due to the lack of any proven perimeter playmakers, i expect that our best offense will come from playing inside/out and surrounding adama with shooters, or getting out on the break.
I’d love to be proven wrong, but it’s crazy to me that anyone mentions Jackson as a potential go to scorer on this year’s team. The kid’s got athleticism but hasn’t shown ANY ability to put the ball in the basket (yet). Really hoping there are great things to come for him down the road - but on this year’s team, RJ will be a significantly better scorer.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
If this board is to be believed Steve Pikiell is just short of Jesus so just being in the arena has us blessed with naturally occurring god of hoops ess

Reaction Score
bookmarked
Man, I really hope you’re right on this. Last year, he couldn’t beat defenders off the dribble and he didn’t have a short-range jumper. What I saw was pretty form on free throws, elite athleticism - but that’s opportunistic scoring, not scoring in the flow of an offense. I realize that the injury set back his development last year. But I’m being cautious about expectations for his offense this season.

Reaction Score
I honestly could not care less about some scrimmage. Its just a bunch of guys farting around getting in some work. Means nothing whether we win or lose.

Reaction Score
If we cannot score in the half court set and our strength is front court, where do the points come from? Without effective perimeter options teams will sag or play a tight zone. Perimeter shooting will determine the level of our success.

R-E-L-A-X

you’re getting agitated about us not being able to score in the half court set based on some anonymous poster’s account from their cousin’s friend who is a Rutgers booster who claims that UConn had trouble scoring in the half court set.

What do you think a Rutgers booster is gonna say?

Also, Coach Hurley has said on multiple occasions that he does not run any real offensive sets in these scrimmages.

We’ll have a better 1st hand idea of how our offense looks in less than 10 days!

Reaction Score
R-E-L-A-X

you’re getting agitated about us not being able to score in the half court set based on some anonymous poster’s account from their cousin’s friend who is a Rutgers booster who claims that UConn had trouble scoring in the half court set.

Also, Coach Hurley has said on multiple occasions that he does not run any real offensive sets in these scrimmages.

We’ll have a better 1st hand idea of how our offense looks in less than 10 days!
True.
but I still don’t understand the downside of running offensive sets against real opponents, as opposed to practice players who know exactly what’s coming. Seems like unnecessary coach paranoia

Reaction Score
R-E-L-A-X

Not my cousin but my Brother and I hope you aren’t trying to put any Disrespect on his name.

Reaction Score
Crap, so now we’re 1-1. Does this drop us out of the top 25? lol
Not unless all the other top 25 teams are 2-0 in their secret scrimmages, and someone has secretly relayed the information to those that determine the top 25 rankings.
Lol.

:rolleyes:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
whut wud frankie say aboot all this?

im fairly confident that if we reach a reasonably expected place in march/april, the talking heads will be filled with lazerlike comments aboot the squad sounding in 'what a veteran team! they've got players doing this for 4, 5 years! all that experience can really mean something come tourney time! toss in some new guys who might be pretty good, and that's a recipe for success!'

Reaction Score
True.
but I still don’t understand the downside of running offensive sets against real opponents, as opposed to practice players who know exactly what’s coming. Seems like unnecessary coach paranoia
I don't understand what the players would actually do on offense if not subconsciously at least try and run something similar to offensive sets have been practicing on regular basis.
Are we saying they had to play without Gaffney constantly looking to Hurley to see what he should do, or Polley trying to figure out how to get open without going to the predetermined spot from a Hurley offensive set or Whaley going one on one? Maybe that's a good thing.
I didn't see many effective offensive sets by UConn last year. Players need to know where the advantage is (if none of 5 players on offense have an advantage either in talent in general or positioning on a particular play that's a big problem) and try to go there. Other teams know on offense to go after Cole and not so much Whaley, get Sanogo in foul trouble, see if Akok can guard on perimeter.

Reaction Score
I’m not familiar with this Rutgers team but if they pretty much have a set nucleus of a team given comparable athleticism they have a huge early season advantage over a team like UConn which has one or two position players set. That’s why you play early season cupcakes.

Reaction Score
When we win these, it's because our team is great and exactly as advertised. When we lose, it's because they're more like glorified practices and we're running vanilla sets.
So what’s your point? :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not my cousin but my Brother and I hope you aren’t trying to put any Disrespect on his name.
ice pops chill GIF by Bomb Pop

Reaction Score

Question.

What is the course of action if one puts (captial D) Disrespect on someone's brother on an online fan forum?

Like, what are you expecting to do if he says "yes, your brother sucks. I present (capital D) Disrespect to him now"

Is this a dueling challenge situation? Or more one of those times where people start posturing without any way of backing it up?

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
If we cannot score in the half court set and our strength is front court, where do the points come from? Without effective perimeter options teams will sag or play a tight zone. Perimeter shooting will determine the level of our success.
Hence the value of Tyler Polley. We have 1 proven shooter that can reliably get his shot off. And like it or not, it’s him. It’s great to have athletes that can overwhelm some opponents. But you’re going to need something else against those you can’t “out-athlete.”

Reaction Score
Need Jackson to take a huge step and/or Hawk to put up frosh Bouk numbers. Both are in the realm of possibility and fortunately with the veteran presence to ease the pressure in the hiccups that will come should make things easier for them.
Jackson is not gonna be a scorer..rest assured its not gonna happen...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom