SEC Would be a Brilliant Stroke | The Boneyard

SEC Would be a Brilliant Stroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

While the ACC is the expected conversation, I think joining the SEC would be a brillant move. In football there is no comparison. Imagine FL, Bama, TX A&M, Auburn GA and LSU coming to the Rent - Awesome!!!!

In basketball FL and Kentucky provide star power. And of course UConn would!!!! The ACC often seems too aloof.

I think Herbst needs to focus more on the SEC and play hard to get with the ACC. We could give them a great men's BB team, another great women's program, the NYC market access, etc....as JC says we have a lot to offer.....perhaps more to the SEC than the ACC.

The travel is a jump ball either way - what's the difference between an hour's charter and a 2 hour charter flight - not much.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I just called Disney and told them that if they don't make me the lead in Pirates of the Caribbean 5, there is no way I'm gonna go see it when it comes out.

Reaction Score
I have a better idea. Pac 12! Think about it, we would dominate right away and the Pac 12 Tourny at the Staples Center would be awesome baby!

Reaction Score
umm, umm, no. No way in hell that's happening. Quit thinking basketball - start thinking money.

Reaction Score
We're just behind "The Little Sisters of the Poor" on the list for SEC entry

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
does dyson support this move by uconn?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
UConn has a better chance of winning the NFC than the SEC.

C

Chief00

The same people who doubted me on Drummond to UConn in 2011/2012, doubt me about this. And we all know what happened to the team chemistry once Mr. Dyson depated Storrs. While, I am not predicting this, my understanding is there are conversations going on. As for football, I don't disagree with your current assessment; but whatever progress UConn has made in football has not been because the current state is extrapolated decades into the future. Our program and fan base would have to grow over time, the stadium immediately expanded, etc. But, we have made changes before; this would be the next step.

I think UConn could stand out as the NY market team, etc.....much more than if we would be in the ACC.

Reaction Score
While the ACC is the expected conversation, I think joining the SEC would be a brillant move. In football there is no comparison. Imagine FL, Bama, TX A&M, Auburn GA and LSU coming to the Rent - Awesome!!!!

In basketball FL and Kentucky provide star power. And of course UConn would!!!! The ACC often seems too aloof.

I think Herbst needs to focus more on the SEC and play hard to get with the ACC. We could give them a great men's BB team, another great women's program, the NYC market access, etc....as JC says we have a lot to offer.....perhaps more to the SEC than the ACC.

The travel is a jump ball either way - what's the difference between an hour's charter and a 2 hour charter flight - not much.

Would Pat Summit agree to this ?????? But in all seriousness, this is more far-fetched than anything I have heard. The SEC wouldn't even give us a third thought.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The same people who doubted me on Drummond to UConn in 2011/2012, doubt me about this. And we all know what happened to the team chemistry once Mr. Dyson depated Storrs.

You really are obsessed with Jerome Dyson. It's like you're sitting at home putting on lipstick while working on your list of people to take out.

Reaction Score
The same people who doubted me on Drummond to UConn in 2011/2012, doubt me about this. .

The Drummond call was a great one. You were also the one who said the NCAA sanctions were going to be absolutely debilitating if my memory serves me correctly. Omar, DD, and AD say hello.

Lets not act like all the bold predictions have turned out correctly because the SEC sure as hell isn't interested in Uconn.

Reaction Score
I have an even better and more likely to happen idea. Why don't we break away and start our own conference. We can invite the best basketball/football programs in the nation. I don't know why anyone didn't think of this before. What program would even consider turning us down. We'll call it the Big CC for Big Connecticut Conference. I think this could work.

Reaction Score
Pipe Dream. Look at how UCONN faired against Oklahoma. We are talking about real big time football with the SEC. New York market or not I just don't see SEC schools wanting to play at the RENT unless it was upgraded to at least 60-70 thousand seats. Football is the driving force and the RENT would not provide the revenue that the SEC would be seeking. The only options would be Gillette Stadium or Metlife Stadium.

If by chance an SEC bid was offered then our best option would be a new fooball coach such as McGee from Arkansas. He's someone that is young and understands the SEC and what recruits are looking for.

Reaction Score
We should contact the NFL as well- I give both them and SEC even odds for admitting UCONN.

C

Chief00

I do think the NCAA sanctions/APR ship reductions have put us in a very difficult place. While my hat's off to Coach and others who navigated that storm to bring Drummond in - it wasn't easy and we received national criticism. Hathaway was not willing to take those bullets and refused to pull the trigger on that decision. We also had to depend on 1 of 2 guys to give up a ship - one wouldn't and one fortunately did. He also had a fairly unique financial aid profile - living in an orphanage for many years, etc. If he hadn't done this, we would have missed the highest rated recruit ever to go to UC. That is a bad punishment.

Bottomline the NCAA recruiting and APR sanctionswill make things very difficult - no room for recruiting errors.

Dogmania, I appreciate the humor but the SEC thing is not totally out of the realm of possibility. Likely -no. Possible - yes. We will see. Don't assume every team in the SEC wants another A&M in the conference for football. Some schools are looking for a couple W's, hence MO. Also, while I think Duke and UNC would like us in for MBB, don't pretend that there aren't other schools who don't look forward to us beating their butts every year. Its about money but these other things are a subtext.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I do think the NCAA sanctions/APR ship reductions have put us in a very difficult place. While my hat's off to Coach and others who navigated that storm to bring Drummond in - it wasn't easy and we received national criticism. Hathaway was not willing to take those bullets and refused to pull the trigger on that decision. We also had to depend on 1 of 2 guys to give up a ship - one wouldn't and one fortunately did. He also had a fairly unique financial aid profile - living in an orphanage for many years, etc. If he hadn't done this, we would have missed the highest rated recruit ever to go to UC. That is a bad punishment.

Bottomline the NCAA recruiting and APR sanctionswill make things very difficult - no room for recruiting errors.

Dogmania, I appreciate the humor but the SEC thing is not totally out of the realm of possibility. Likely -no. Possible - yes. We will see. Don't assume every team in the SEC wants another A&M in the conference for football. Some schools are looking for a couple W's, hence MO. Also, while I think Duke and UNC would like us in for MBB, don't pretend that there aren't other schools who don't look forward to us beating their butts every year. Its about money but these other things are a subtext.
The APR almost wrecked the program. The NCAA sanctions were relatively mild. Your argument was that we were going to get slammed by the NCAA sanctions. You were wrong. Stop trying to appear right by changing your argument after the fact.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The APR almost wrecked the program. The NCAA sanctions were relatively mild. Your argument was that we were going to get slammed by the NCAA sanctions. You were wrong. Stop trying to appear right by changing your argument after the fact.
There will be world peace before this character can relate that the APR was helped by Jerome Dyson.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
uconn to the sec is like depaul in big east football... why go somewhere where we'll lose money... this should be on the realignment forum... its 6 days away from first night, time to focus

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
The same people who doubted me on Drummond to UConn in 2011/2012, doubt me about this. And we all know what happened to the team chemistry once Mr. Dyson depated Storrs. While, I am not predicting this, my understanding is there are conversations going on. As for football, I don't disagree with your current assessment; but whatever progress UConn has made in football has not been because the current state is extrapolated decades into the future. Our program and fan base would have to grow over time, the stadium immediately expanded, etc. But, we have made changes before; this would be the next step.

I think UConn could stand out as the NY market team, etc.....much more than if we would be in the ACC.
thumbnail.aspx

C

Chief00

Jleves you are wrong. I always combined the two. The APR situation was basically understood before the recruiting sanctions.

C

Chief00

You really are obsessed with Jerome Dyson. It's like you're sitting at home putting on lipstick while working on your list of people to take out.
ZLS44 - Dyson was brought up by another poster in this thread first. I merely responded to his sarcastic tone. I know Dyson is a sore wound for many posters here who basically were very wrong about his impact on the team. Last season provided the contrast to Dyson's post season record - both speak for themselves.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Jleves you are wrong. I always combined the two. The APR situation was basically understood before the recruiting sanctions.
You know what, I am quite confident that you actually believe that which makes further discussion unecessary.

Reaction Score
The NCAA was just like, "well we really want to come down on Uconn hard but they have done such a horrible job academically in the past few years, lets just take it easy on them." Right...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom